pet peeves at the gym

Options

Replies

• marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "that girl is in my spot" to the yoga instructor.

the people just hanging out on the machine not doing anything

the guy who doesn't use headphones when playing his music.

men's sports loud arguments
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Eh, I don't care about a whole lot when I go to the gym because I'm focused on just me. But some of the things that grind my gears are...

1) Not wiping your butt sweat off when you're done with a machine. I've wiped an especially sweaty looking seat once because the girl that had just gotten off didn't and..................apparently she was on her period.
    2) Using your cellphone. If you're listening to music, recording a set or using an app that helps your performance whatever. But if you're sitting there on a phonecall forever not using the machine and just taking up space, the person on the other end BETTER be in a life or death situation.
    3) When I'm doing the 30 minute circuit and someone decides to just jump in and not go in numerical order. If you start at 1, go to 2. If you start at 10, go to 11 next. Not 3, then 6, then 2, then 2309230293. I've had one confrontation with a lady about this because we both went for the same machine. I literally plopped my butt down after she sneered at me and I said "Sorry, I go in numerical order like the sign says. You were just using 6, that means you go to 7 now. -smile-"
    4) Body hair in the shower. Seriously. Sometimes it looks like people are shaving their pubes in there. At least rinse them down the drain for the love of god.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    People that don't wipe down the machine. And people that DONT EVER SHOWER. Seriously it's gross. That's about all. Oh and guys that feel the need to comment when you're in the weights section.

People aren't required to shower AT THE GYM. I rather not get some nasty fungus from who-knows-what in those pits they call shower stalls. I work out hard, sweat, hop in my car and go home to shower in my own fungus infested shower, thank you very much!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The trainer who stared at me because I was plating 100 lbs on the bench press.

I think he thought I didn't know how much I was actually adding. (Granted, some people don't realize that the bar already weighs 45 lbs without plates.)

You can bet your *kitten* when he saw 5 smooth, strong reps, he stopped goggling.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What are yours? Mine are:
    Poor form. Something just irritates me about people who, like the the guy beside me on the stepmill today, lean all their weight, slumped over on the machine, head down and clearly cannot keep up that speed without being supported by the machine, but, even after advice by trainers walking by, still does it--wont slow the speed down.
    The other one is the people who don't wipe down the machine. Eew
    . Last on my list are the ones who come in and chat loudly on the cell phone whilst standing on a machine(but not working out) or the men/women who have their girl/boyfriend there and have to stop and chat or kiss every five seconds and don't work out. Either situation, somebody could be actively using that machine, but people get irritated waiting for it. What about you?

Guys who make a lot of noise when they lift, people who drop the weights to the floor, bad form, also.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I have my own full home gym - and well worth the investment. No lines, no waiting, no germ-infested sweat...no smelly people...play my own music, use my own bathroom...it's freakin' heaven!

Let's be honest, most of the things people whine about probably don't come up that much and aren't that big of a deal. The only equipment I ever have any real trouble getting on is the squat rack, and that's only if I go to my gym's location that only has one rack. The one I go to weekends has three. Sweat? Meh, I whipe down but I never check if anyone else does. It's just sweat and it won't kill you. Smelly people? Meh, it's a gym. Everyone stinks. I've never encountered anyone that really really really stinks. The bathrooms at my gym are fine and the music is, well, tuned out. Who cares what the gym plays? Bring your own.

I don't know, in every one of these threads there are a lot of folks complaining about people not re-racking weights or wiping down machines. Those seem to be the biggest two. Makes me think it probably happens a lot, maybe just not at your gym. <shrugs> And it only takes one weird person staring or prancing around nekkid to make me REALLY glad I have a home gym.

YEP, I've been training for over 30 years now and I've done both. Home gym is far superior, as long as you can afford equipment that meets your training needs. And I have everything I need. :-))

Same here. I got lucky on the weight set. A few years ago the company I work for had a freecycle type webpage and some lady was getting rid of a massive weight/gym set and all I had to do was haul it away. My husband and I had to take it apart piece by piece, haul it down townhouse stairs, and stuff it in the back of our minivan, but I didn't have to pay for it. The treadmill I got at a flea market for $30.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Not optional for me, my right side can always outdo my left and towards the end of my set sometimes the left elbow will begin to weaken and cannot push the bar up at the same rate as the right side, so my bar starts to angle a bit and I worry about plates sliding off.

and this is the reason why you don't use clips. It's kind of a self correcting thing. Learn to bench evenly and you don't worry about it.

Or getting caught under a load you can't dump when lifting alone. How delicious would that be? crushed by clips!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    People that I can smell. Good or bad....Yes, it is off putting for someone to smell like they haven't showered in a week, but PLEASE do not drench yourself in axe or perfume or anything, its equally disgusting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not optional for me, my right side can always outdo my left and towards the end of my set sometimes the left elbow will begin to weaken and cannot push the bar up at the same rate as the right side, so my bar starts to angle a bit and I worry about plates sliding off.

and this is the reason why you don't use clips. It's kind of a self correcting thing. Learn to bench evenly and you don't worry about it.

Or getting caught under a load you can't dump when lifting alone. How delicious would that be? crushed by clips!

indeed.

Someone gave me *kitten* about not clipping once- and I was like- why? I bench alone. it's safer to bench unclipped than clipped!!!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    People that leave random 45# plates everywhere. At some point I actually have to go on an easter egg hunt to find the dang plates. It drives me nuts.

People that use the dumbbell rack as a shelf for their towel and water bottle. I don't want to touch your damp towel to get my dumbbells! ACK!

Keep a plate nearby with your name on it, problem solved. /sarcasm\:/
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Truly, I have been going to the 'gym' for about 30 years, and no pet peeves. Just do the workout; there was one guy who spotted me benching once who forgot to mention he was going "Cali" down there, but it wasn't or isn't a peeve, just an observation. Back to the news. . . .
  • sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The creep guy who stood directly behind me on the smith machine and stared at my a** while I squatted :noway: He wasn't even discreet about it...How rude...I seriously wanted to kick him in the nuts :grumble: :explode: :angry:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My latest least-favorite person in the gym is the Agitated Wanderer. Some of the guys in the gym (the ones doing the prison yard “every day is bench day” regiment) get really amped up, and can’t seem to stand in one place between sets. So they wander here, wander there, pacing around walking in front of others, blocking *kitten*, standing in place for a moment, pivoting here, feigning a move there, exhaling loudly, etc., it’s as though they are in some international competition and trying to get their minds right to pull of some spectacular feat of strength. Except they aren’t, they are regular guys with smelly weight belts annoying others in a gym. I would suggest that they fire up the treadmill in order to walk off that nervous energy between sets, but I’m not sure if they know what a treadmill is or how to use one.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I generally work out at home, but I am also a member of a 24 hour gym and sometimes go there around midnight. Aside from the one regular guy I always see getting his treadmill on, there are a lot of gangbanger types who show up and generally don't do anything but get in the way. One time a bunch of them were just standing around in the gym smoking weed. Another time, one of them had a pistol OC'd at 12:00 and didn't do a single lift. (Probably too worried about shooting himself in the penis, but I digress.)

That doesn't bother me so much as I often carry a gun too, but it's more the thought of, "can't you guys just go to somebody's house to do this stuff?"

Edit: didn't realize MFP had a profanity filter, glad to know we're twelve again.

HAH! OC'ed at ****-o'clock? I can see a wannabe g CC mexican carry, but OC? hahaha.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The creep guy who stood directly behind me on the smith machine and stared at my a** while I squatted :noway: He wasn't even discreet about it...How rude...I seriously wanted to kick him in the nuts :grumble: :explode: :angry:

I'm sorry, I was just testing out my google glass.
  • dbmata
    Options

indeed.

Someone gave me *kitten* about not clipping once- and I was like- why? I bench alone. it's safer to bench unclipped than clipped!!!!

Give you **** for that? To hell with that, it's for your safety.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Only one....Standing directly in front of the dumbelll rack where no one else can get any of the weights in that area. If you are strong enough to pick them up, I am sure you are strong enought to step back 6 feet so you are not blocking the rack. If you need to stand that close to the mirror to see yourself, go see an eye doctor. Very annoying. :grumble:
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    Not wiping down the machine! Come on it's not my sweat! I don't want to touch it!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I see dudes with giant pecs and biceps and tiny calves the size of my forearm. Why?

Genetics?

I see the same guys pretty much every morning, it's more a "no day is leg day" issue. Benching and curling and shrugging, forever and ever.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    light hearted *kitten*... but nevertheless- it happened.
    he's an odd duck- sometimes it's easier to just let them make the comment and move on. Making a federal case about every comment isn't worth it.

Now- when he tries to covert me to low bar squatting and sumo DLing- we're going to have issues. LMAO