Kind of Upset

Options

Replies

• bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can select the ignore option for users who seem to consistently bash.

I personally find some of the attitudes on this website to be overly aggressive or with a sense of superiority. Just don't reply to them if they are being sarcastic to you!

I didn't realize there was an ignore option... That is good to know and I do agree.
  • bcl003
    Options
    Counting macros? Using the TDEE method? I do both of these things and it is still calorie counting. It is just a more refined way of making the calories you are eating count. MFP is the perfect place to do both things.

I was referring to the fact that if you are using the TDEE method you are not using the automatic settings that MFP sets for you and I do agree with MFP being a good place to do that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    People "bash" fad diets like 21 Day Fix because they're not sustainable. What happens after 21 days? It won't teach you how to make healthy lifestyle changes. Also, the negative comments are trying to save people money; you can lose weight and become healthy without spending an arm and a leg. Lastly, the experienced users on here want people to know that weight loss is slow and gradual. You have to be patient. Fad diets set up unrealistic expectations of quick weight loss, when in reality the process is something which requires a lot of patience. We're trying to save people from crash and yo yo dieting. Not trying to be Negative Nancies.

^^^^ all of this
  • bcl003
    Options
    The point is in 21 days you'll still be just as busy. At some point you will need to find the time to weigh, measure, prepare and cook your properly portioned food. If you don't have time for that now then in 21 days you'll go back to whatever you do now and undo the work you've done.

This right here. I looked into this when one of my friends tried to push it on me when the 21 Day Fix first came out. From what I seen and what she told me there is a lot of planning involved. You need to figure out how many of each container you can have a day, figure out what can go into each container and then plan and portion it all out. If you are limited on time as it is I don't see how this program is going to help.

For me it is just a quicker portioning and planning system than what I had been using and I can continue using it past 21 days, they call it the 21 day fix because by then it should be a habit. This post isn't just about this program btw that was just the one I was getting frustrated with when I was searching for others doing it on here this morning.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I want to remind the OP that posts on these message boards aren't just about you.

Yes, that's a harsh way of phrasing things, but these posts are read by many members. They're indexed by Google and other search engines. And they're read by lurkers who will never post to these boards asking for advice, many of whom are lurking because they're under age. Topics aren't just about you. They're also about the hundreds of people who will read this thread, either now or two years from now.

You're an adult. You have to be in order to be posting to these boards. You can spend your money and diet however you like. If anyone is personally bashing you, then that should be reported. But try not to personalize disagreeing with the product as anger towards you.

A lot of people, myself included, think that these types of posts should represent both sides of the argument. We just see too many new posters who are confused about which system is best, which advice is right, which is the perfect way to diet, so they give up before they've ever begun. Presenting the idea that dieting can be fairly simple isn't about bashing you. It's about bashing the hundreds of people who come after you. If you're looking for an echo chamber that will only give you positive feedback, then this probably isn't the board for you.

Oh I understand what you are saying, but why do people feel the need to comment negatively on a post that reads " I am starting (insert program name here) and looking for others who are doing said program!"? That is doing the exact opposite of what this poster was looking for, they are not asking others to do the program just looking for any who just happen to be doing that program.
    I understand getting both sides of it when the post reads "Has anyone done this program? What do you think?" because the poster is obviously on the fence and not committed to it and is looking for opinions.

Again, because it's for lurkers also, so they have pros and cons of said program. They don't just have a bunch of OMG it's so awesome comments. So they can make a well informed decision. I'm sure they do other research as well, but some of that research comes by way of MFP Forums.
  • bcl003
    Options
    Oh and I do appreciate all the comments.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I want to remind the OP that posts on these message boards aren't just about you.

Yes, that's a harsh way of phrasing things, but these posts are read by many members. They're indexed by Google and other search engines. And they're read by lurkers who will never post to these boards asking for advice, many of whom are lurking because they're under age. Topics aren't just about you. They're also about the hundreds of people who will read this thread, either now or two years from now.

You're an adult. You have to be in order to be posting to these boards. You can spend your money and diet however you like. If anyone is personally bashing you, then that should be reported. But try not to personalize disagreeing with the product as anger towards you.

A lot of people, myself included, think that these types of posts should represent both sides of the argument. We just see too many new posters who are confused about which system is best, which advice is right, which is the perfect way to diet, so they give up before they've ever begun. Presenting the idea that dieting can be fairly simple isn't about bashing you. It's about bashing the hundreds of people who come after you. If you're looking for an echo chamber that will only give you positive feedback, then this probably isn't the board for you.

Oh I understand what you are saying, but why do people feel the need to comment negatively on a post that reads " I am starting (insert program name here) and looking for others who are doing said program!"? That is doing the exact opposite of what this poster was looking for, they are not asking others to do the program just looking for any who just happen to be doing that program.
    I understand getting both sides of it when the post reads "Has anyone done this program? What do you think?" because the poster is obviously on the fence and not committed to it and is looking for opinions.

If someone posted "I live in London and I'm going to Scotland. I'm flying from Heathrow to New York, then I'm swimming all the way to Scotland, because the airline said this is the quickest way to get to Scotland from London"

would you say something? or would you go ahead and let them waste time, effort and money on something that's unlikely to work?

Point is, there are many companies out there that sell very expensive programmes that really don't work all that well, or if they work it's just a quick fix that sets people up for rebound fat gain, and there are a lot of people on this site that have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and wasted a lot of money in the process, and often ended up fatter than when they started.

They are just message board posts - no-one is physically trying to stop anyone doing anything. Just giving advice that there might be cheaper, easier and more effective ways to lose weight out there. Personally, I'd find that kind of information useful. I'd at least hear these people out and see what they have to say, and see what the alternatives they're suggesting are and what their reasoning is for suggesting a different programme.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    The point is in 21 days you'll still be just as busy. At some point you will need to find the time to weigh, measure, prepare and cook your properly portioned food. If you don't have time for that now then in 21 days you'll go back to whatever you do now and undo the work you've done.

This right here. I looked into this when one of my friends tried to push it on me when the 21 Day Fix first came out. From what I seen and what she told me there is a lot of planning involved. You need to figure out how many of each container you can have a day, figure out what can go into each container and then plan and portion it all out. If you are limited on time as it is I don't see how this program is going to help.

For me it is just a quicker portioning and planning system than what I had been using and I can continue using it past 21 days, they call it the 21 day fix because by then it should be a habit. This post isn't just about this program btw that was just the one I was getting frustrated with when I was searching for others doing it on here this morning.

you can do portion planning if you have containers, a fridge, freezer and microwave and MFP... you can make food in batches, freeze or chill them in individual portions and microwave them as needed. And for a lot of things, e.g. salads, sandwiches, other food eaten cold, you only really need the fridge and containers.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are just trying to justify using the products. The reality is that we don't care what you do, we don't care about your money or time or life, but we take a few minutes out of our day to try and advise and steer you away from unintelligent decisions. At the end of the day, you will only do what you want to do, but maybe our "negative" comments will keep others who may read those threads from following OPs' examples.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm learning to cook, (while weighing or measuring out my food) I realize how detrimental not learning to cook in the past was. It forced me to rely on packaged foods and restaurants and to think that sugary junk food in a shiny containers was gourmet eating.

And even if I were going to give up chewing and live on shakes as many of these weight loss plans promote, I'd utilize one of the many DIY soylent recipes available for free online and I'd still mix it up myself in batches. Because at least then I'd know exactly what went into it, for a lot less money.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

you can do portion planning if you have containers, a fridge, freezer and microwave and MFP... you can make food in batches, freeze or chill them in individual portions and microwave them as needed. And for a lot of things, e.g. salads, sandwiches, other food eaten cold, you only really need the fridge and containers.

^^^ This.

Sunday I made lunches for the week, portioned them out and called it a day.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Sounds like you are just trying to justify using the products. The reality is that we don't care what you do, we don't care about your money or time or life, but we take a few minutes out of our day to try and advise and steer you away from unintelligent decisions. At the end of the day, you will only do what you want to do, but maybe our "negative" comments will keep others who may read those threads from following OPs' examples.

Glozell-Preach.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    can someone TLDR this for me?

its friday and im easily distracted. i got to word 16 and noped out.

Same, all I got for OP is:

Best of luck to you!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    tupperware
    Oh great, Another direct marketing sales pitch. . .

:D]
  • bcl003
    Options

Yes I agree with the portion planning needing only those things but again I like the fact that if I am portioning chicken I just grab the red container fill it and then dump in a zip lock and keep going. Yes you could use a scale to do this but I get too meticulous about it and want it to be at exactly 4.0 ounces so it is a lot more time consuming for me than the container idea.

I am just doing this program for the benefit of learning proper portions and making sure I am eating enough of the right things. I don't think of this as a fad because to me a fad is not something you can continue doing for the rest of your life. I am not trying to sell this program or any others it just irks me when I decide to search the forums for a program to find others doing it and all the comments are about how you should just do something else and that it is stupid and a fad.

Thanks for posting this, I am not opposed to seeing what others are doing and what is working for them. I am opposed to the bashing when someone is already committed to a program and all the negativity hits the fan.
  • bcl003
    Options
    Now that I'm learning to cook, (while weighing or measuring out my food) I realize how detrimental not learning to cook in the past was. It forced me to rely on packaged foods and restaurants and to think that sugary junk food in a shiny containers was gourmet eating.

And even if I were going to give up chewing and live on shakes as many of these weight loss plans promote, I'd utilize one of the many DIY soylent recipes available for free online and I'd still mix it up myself in batches. Because at least then I'd know exactly what went into it, for a lot less money.

I don't buy into the whole shake thing, I got a free sample from someone and I thought they were horrible.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Yes I agree with the portion planning needing only those things but again I like the fact that if I am portioning chicken I just grab the red container fill it and then dump in a zip lock and keep going. Yes you could use a scale to do this but I get too meticulous about it and want it to be at exactly 4.0 ounces so it is a lot more time consuming for me than the container idea. I am just doing this program for the benefit of learning proper portions and making sure I am eating enough of the right things. I don't think of this as a fad because to me a fad is not something you can continue doing for the rest of your life. I am not trying to sell this program or any others it just irks me when I decide to search the forums for a program to find others doing it and all the comments are about how you should just do something else and that it is stupid and a fad. Thanks for posting this, I am not opposed to seeing what others are doing and what is working for them. I am opposed to the bashing when someone is already committed to a program and all the negativity hits the fan.

It is a fad, it is not sustainable for most people.

I take it you'll be doing this program the rest of your life then.

Again, I ask, what is wrong with people suggesting that someone take the time to learn how to eat in moderation, fit their macros, portion control, etc???

Rolling_bfd7a6_2830367.gif
    But let's just continue talking in circles. You want to do the program, great do it. You can make your own decision. You want nothing but happiness and rainbows as responses I'm sure there are plenty of Beachbody groups on MFP where you can post things.

This here though is a public forum, for all to use, for every opinion, good, bad, indifferent, rainbows and such. Disagreement =/= bashing or negative
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you and give it 100%, it's all bout YOU!

Reminder: This is YOUR journey :)
  • bcl003
    Options

Yes I agree with the portion planning needing only those things but again I like the fact that if I am portioning chicken I just grab the red container fill it and then dump in a zip lock and keep going. Yes you could use a scale to do this but I get too meticulous about it and want it to be at exactly 4.0 ounces so it is a lot more time consuming for me than the container idea. I am just doing this program for the benefit of learning proper portions and making sure I am eating enough of the right things. I don't think of this as a fad because to me a fad is not something you can continue doing for the rest of your life. I am not trying to sell this program or any others it just irks me when I decide to search the forums for a program to find others doing it and all the comments are about how you should just do something else and that it is stupid and a fad. Thanks for posting this, I am not opposed to seeing what others are doing and what is working for them. I am opposed to the bashing when someone is already committed to a program and all the negativity hits the fan.

It is a fad, it is not sustainable for most people.

I take it you'll be doing this program the rest of your life then.

Again, I ask, what is wrong with people suggesting that someone take the time to learn how to eat in moderation, fit their macros, portion control, etc???
    There is no problem with any of that, to me that is what this program is helping me learn. The problem is when people are already committed to a program and it is working for them but all the comments are you are doing it wrong, do this instead. Not necessarily just this program.