Kind of Upset

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The point is in 21 days you'll still be just as busy. At some point you will need to find the time to weigh, measure, prepare and cook your properly portioned food. If you don't have time for that now then in 21 days you'll go back to whatever you do now and undo the work you've done.

This right here. I looked into this when one of my friends tried to push it on me when the 21 Day Fix first came out. From what I seen and what she told me there is a lot of planning involved. You need to figure out how many of each container you can have a day, figure out what can go into each container and then plan and portion it all out. If you are limited on time as it is I don't see how this program is going to help.

For me it is just a quicker portioning and planning system than what I had been using and I can continue using it past 21 days, they call it the 21 day fix because by then it should be a habit. This post isn't just about this program btw that was just the one I was getting frustrated with when I was searching for others doing it on here this morning.

you can do portion planning if you have containers, a fridge, freezer and microwave and MFP... you can make food in batches, freeze or chill them in individual portions and microwave them as needed. And for a lot of things, e.g. salads, sandwiches, other food eaten cold, you only really need the fridge and containers.

Yes I agree with the portion planning needing only those things but again I like the fact that if I am portioning chicken I just grab the red container fill it and then dump in a zip lock and keep going. Yes you could use a scale to do this but I get too meticulous about it and want it to be at exactly 4.0 ounces so it is a lot more time consuming for me than the container idea. I am just doing this program for the benefit of learning proper portions and making sure I am eating enough of the right things. I don't think of this as a fad because to me a fad is not something you can continue doing for the rest of your life. I am not trying to sell this program or any others it just irks me when I decide to search the forums for a program to find others doing it and all the comments are about how you should just do something else and that it is stupid and a fad. Thanks for posting this, I am not opposed to seeing what others are doing and what is working for them. I am opposed to the bashing when someone is already committed to a program and all the negativity hits the fan.

It is a fad, it is not sustainable for most people.

I take it you'll be doing this program the rest of your life then.

Again, I ask, what is wrong with people suggesting that someone take the time to learn how to eat in moderation, fit their macros, portion control, etc???
    There is no problem with any of that, to me that is what this program is helping me learn. The problem is when people are already committed to a program and it is working for them but all the comments are you are doing it wrong, do this instead. Not necessarily just this program.

I started on here doing the 1200 calories diet. I had someone tell me I was doing it wrong. That person lost 153 lbs and was eating more...That's personally someone I'm going to listen to. I'm not going to get upset because he said you're doing it wrong. I'm going to be open to criticism. So when I learned I could and should be eating more, I jumped at it. I've lost more weight because of that. I also started lifting, before I was a cardio bunny (nothing wrong with that).
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My issues with the 21 day fix are multiple:

1 - the containers are basically expensive tupperware:
    2 - if I want to eat a bagel, am I supposed to cram it into that little container, and then when I take it out, eat it crumb by crumb?
    3 - what if I want to eat half a bagel and some mashed potatoes... am I supposed to cram those things into the container together to make sure they fit? Seriously, I don't want a mashed potato flavored blueberry bagel.
    4 - I don't want to be taken advantage of, financially, by my "friends" who also pose as coaches.

I suppose if you're OK with eating only one thing in each category of food for each meal, so you don't have to worry about how to calculate some of this and some of that, within the same category - fine... but for me, anyway, it's much easier to just count the calories.

If you want to do it and it works for you, by all means, go for it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The point is in 21 days you'll still be just as busy. At some point you will need to find the time to weigh, measure, prepare and cook your properly portioned food. If you don't have time for that now then in 21 days you'll go back to whatever you do now and undo the work you've done.

This right here. I looked into this when one of my friends tried to push it on me when the 21 Day Fix first came out. From what I seen and what she told me there is a lot of planning involved. You need to figure out how many of each container you can have a day, figure out what can go into each container and then plan and portion it all out. If you are limited on time as it is I don't see how this program is going to help.

For me it is just a quicker portioning and planning system than what I had been using and I can continue using it past 21 days, they call it the 21 day fix because by then it should be a habit. This post isn't just about this program btw that was just the one I was getting frustrated with when I was searching for others doing it on here this morning.

you can do portion planning if you have containers, a fridge, freezer and microwave and MFP... you can make food in batches, freeze or chill them in individual portions and microwave them as needed. And for a lot of things, e.g. salads, sandwiches, other food eaten cold, you only really need the fridge and containers.

Yes I agree with the portion planning needing only those things but again I like the fact that if I am portioning chicken I just grab the red container fill it and then dump in a zip lock and keep going. Yes you could use a scale to do this but I get too meticulous about it and want it to be at exactly 4.0 ounces so it is a lot more time consuming for me than the container idea. I am just doing this program for the benefit of learning proper portions and making sure I am eating enough of the right things. I don't think of this as a fad because to me a fad is not something you can continue doing for the rest of your life. I am not trying to sell this program or any others it just irks me when I decide to search the forums for a program to find others doing it and all the comments are about how you should just do something else and that it is stupid and a fad. Thanks for posting this, I am not opposed to seeing what others are doing and what is working for them. I am opposed to the bashing when someone is already committed to a program and all the negativity hits the fan.

Again, I ask, what is wrong with people suggesting that someone take the time to learn how to eat in moderation, fit their macros, portion control, etc???
    There is no problem with any of that, to me that is what this program is helping me learn. The problem is when people are already committed to a program and it is working for them but all the comments are you are doing it wrong, do this instead. Not necessarily just this program.

Here you have money to throw away on expensive colored containers because you are too lazy to use a scale and learn portion control wonderful. Go for it you're an adult, it's your money and your excuse.

For anyone that is reading that hasn't yet wasted their money, use a portion of what you would spend on these containers buy a digital food scale, log your food on here for free, and save the rest of the money for a shopping spree when you've lost your weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Here you have money to throw away on expensive colored containers because you are too lazy to use a scale and learn portion control wonderful. Go for it you're an adult, it's your money and your excuse.

For anyone that is reading that hasn't yet wasted their money, use a portion of what you would spend on these containers buy a digital food scale, log your food on here for free, and save the rest of the money for a shopping spree when you've lost your weight.

Pfffft logic...

FANMADE_Screw_Logic!.gif
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm learning to cook, (while weighing or measuring out my food) I realize how detrimental not learning to cook in the past was. It forced me to rely on packaged foods and restaurants and to think that sugary junk food in a shiny containers was gourmet eating.

And even if I were going to give up chewing and live on shakes as many of these weight loss plans promote, I'd utilize one of the many DIY soylent recipes available for free online and I'd still mix it up myself in batches. Because at least then I'd know exactly what went into it, for a lot less money.

I don't buy into the whole shake thing, I got a free sample from someone and I thought they were horrible.

Just to point out:

If we went by your rules, you wouldn't be allowed to say this.

Don't like Beachbody? Keep it to yourself. Don't think Shakeology is worth the money? Shutup.

I'm going to continue giving good advice that is scam-free. Do whatever you want to do for yourself. But the more people I prevent from wasting their money on the scams Beachbody pushes the happier I am.

Also as has been said, you can join one of numerous Beachbody groups here if all you want is positive feedback. I'm guessing the reason you don't is because you too know those groups are just full of salespeople trying to pimp out their product.

No that is not what I am saying at all. My point is if someone is just looking for others doing the program they already are doing why do people feel the need to bash the fact that they are doing this program?

I honestly have no problem joining a Beachbody group, I was just searching the forum for 21 day fix and it seemed like every comment anyone made to these boards where people were doing challenge groups or looking for others doing this program were "I hate beachbody coaches", "Beachbody products are overpriced", "you could just use a food scale" etc

The point is people have already invested in the product and are just looking for others who have too, but they are over run by people bashing what they are doing.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Instead of color coded containers (theirs), couldn't you use your own containers with a Sharpie and freezer tape and a scale? I get the idea you're looking for convenience and portion control.

But how will you be measuring portions? Just because it fits into a red container, it must weigh X amount? How many more seconds does it take to weigh something anyway if you're portioning out items anyway? At least that is my takeaway from your responses. I could be wrong.

It's entirely up to you and I wish you the best.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

No that is not what I am saying at all. My point is if someone is just looking for others doing the program they already are doing why do people feel the need to bash the fact that they are doing this program?

I honestly have no problem joining a Beachbody group, I was just searching the forum for 21 day fix and it seemed like every comment anyone made to these boards where people were doing challenge groups or looking for others doing this program were "I hate beachbody coaches", "Beachbody products are overpriced", "you could just use a food scale" etc

The point is people have already invested in the product and are just looking for others who have too, but they are over run by people bashing what they are doing.

Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=21+day+fix
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Now that I'm learning to cook, (while weighing or measuring out my food) I realize how detrimental not learning to cook in the past was. It forced me to rely on packaged foods and restaurants and to think that sugary junk food in a shiny containers was gourmet eating.

And even if I were going to give up chewing and live on shakes as many of these weight loss plans promote, I'd utilize one of the many DIY soylent recipes available for free online and I'd still mix it up myself in batches. Because at least then I'd know exactly what went into it, for a lot less money.

I don't buy into the whole shake thing, I got a free sample from someone and I thought they were horrible.

Just to point out:

Don't like Beachbody? Keep it to yourself. Don't think Shakeology is worth the money? Shutup.

I'm going to continue giving good advice that is scam-free. Do whatever you want to do for yourself. But the more people I prevent from wasting their money on the scams Beachbody pushes the happier I am.

Also as has been said, you can join one of numerous Beachbody groups here if all you want is positive feedback. I'm guessing the reason you don't is because you too know those groups are just full of salespeople trying to pimp out their product.

Yes and for every one that has already wasted their money there are 100s that haven't been stupid enough to waste theirs so if we can help one person realize they don't need to throw money away on overpriced containers or whatever silly thing it's a good day.

You made up your mind responding isn't for you it's for the many that don't speak up that just read the forums.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Looks like at least a more cost effective way to do it

10537021_10204730950180357_7338185099973430138_n.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Just to point out:

Again, it's for the newbies, the lurkers, the late night Google searchers. It's not personal.
  • bcl003
    Options
    My issues with the 21 day fix are multiple:

1 - the containers are basically expensive tupperware:
    2 - if I want to eat a bagel, am I supposed to cram it into that little container, and then when I take it out, eat it crumb by crumb?
    3 - what if I want to eat half a bagel and some mashed potatoes... am I supposed to cram those things into the container together to make sure they fit? Seriously, I don't want a mashed potato flavored blueberry bagel.
    4 - I don't want to be taken advantage of, financially, by my "friends" who also pose as coaches.

I suppose if you're OK with eating only one thing in each category of food for each meal, so you don't have to worry about how to calculate some of this and some of that, within the same category - fine... but for me, anyway, it's much easier to just count the calories.

If you want to do it and it works for you, by all means, go for it.

I understand your issues with the program, I know it's not for everyone I just don't want to get bashed for choosing it and I thank you for not doing that. :) I am just looking at this as an investment for me, yeah it is overpriced Tupperware but hey if it succeeds in teaching me proper portioning I am cool with that.

They do tell you exact amounts of things that wouldn't fit in the container like a bagel or bread btw.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

photo+2+copy.JPG

:drinker:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    This is starting to look like a "people are so mean thread" and well, that's when the mob mentality of eating the weak kicks in because most people on here are all locked into the diet and exercise (me included).

Go do a search under groups and see if there's one for this. My guess is that there is.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Just to point out:

I just want to get this straight so I'm not misunderstanding...

So because someone went out and wasted their money and invested in a fad diet that is not sustainable, no one should ever say anything bad about it, no one should offer a different opinion or god forbid, suggest there's another way to do this that would save you money?

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

You searched the forums and found negative comments, again disagreement =/= negative. You didn't search groups. I see I_Will_End_You has already linked you to the group you are looking for.

Again, this is a public forum - which is for ALL opinions.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

photo+2+copy.JPG

Those are the 21 Day Fix containers.

But I agree that it's a lot cheaper to get your own containers and I'm sure that Google will bring up the details of the program for free if you are that insistent on following it. $60 for color coded containers is pretty out there.
  • bcl003
    Options

Just to point out:

Again, it's for the newbies, the lurkers, the late night Google searchers. It's not personal.

I honestly never thought about the people searching Google and finding these posts, but I don't think it is an excuse for people to be incredibly rude. You can comment with facts not just be an over opinionated jerk about it to the person who believes in it.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling you what to do. But here are 4 general truths. Some of them conflict, but they're in order of importance ;)

1) Results only matter if your method will work long-term. A short-term diet plan that you can't stick with forever is at best useless, at worst harmful.

2) Do what you want, stick to what works FOR YOU, ignore anyone who says you're doing it wrong if you're getting results.

3) Any paid weightloss program is not really trying to help you lose weight. It only makes money if you stay fat (or keep getting fat again), and then keep coming back to buy their products. For that reason, free weightloss systems are the only ones that are meant to work long-term.

4) People will get mad at you if you get on sites they love and fill them up with content that sounds like you're being paid to provide it.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I've done things in the past that I haven't kept up. I have done the "eat whatever you want as long as it's under 30% fat and do cardio for thirty minutes a day" , and I did body for life for twelve weeks. They were both fantastic programs and worked for me, but within two years I gained it all back. I have also read the carb lovers diet book, the digest diet, and the zone books and I enjoy using the meal ideas and recipes. I believe almost any diet plan works if it involves a calorie deficit (which most do) and if you stick with it.

Today, it has been over two years since I joined mfp. I have hit my goal and maintained for more than eighteen months. What I like about iifym is that I can change it up, eat a "carb lovers" or a "zone" meal, become a vegetarian, eat vegan for a month, go to parties without concerns, etc. Change keeps things interesting for me. Perhaps, op, one day you'll follow a more sustainable plan like iifym and incorporate some of you favourite exercises and meals from Beach Body. It's all a learning process. I don't see anything wrong with trying different things.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Just to point out:

I honestly never thought about the people searching Google and finding these posts, but I don't think it is an excuse for people to be incredibly rude. You can comment with facts not just be an over opinionated jerk about it to the person who believes in it.

Over opinionated jerk eh? Could that go both ways? I'm not saying you are one...but most coaches on here will cram this down people's throats...also the die-hard believers.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    In for a Friday 'meanie pants" thread. Oh, and cuz I love it...... In for boobies, too...
    h1D3A44FC

I love blue-footed boobies!

(apologies for the thread drift)