Couch to 5K (C25K) Starting today. Anyone interested?

Options

Replies

• Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I finally did it...yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completed my final run of the C25K today which means i've finished the program and I can't believe I am now a C25K graduate.

Despite having a flu bug for the last 10 days my run was great and I really enjoyed being back running again.

Thanks for all your support, i have loved being part of this group and im now really looking forward to moving onto the B210K.

I don't think i've ever stuck to an exercise program so long but the weeks have flown by. At my heavy weight i never thought i would be able to run 5k in 30 minutes.

Well done for finishing and I'm glad you're feeling better now :drinker:

I did start b210k and got as far as week two but I managed to pick up an injury so I'm having a few days off now and then going back to 30 minute runs for a bit as I think I may have pushed a bit fast.

Good luck and congratulations again :bigsmile:
  • Fliegenschwein
    Options
    Anyone know where i can find a Bridge to 10k app in mp3 format? I can't seem to find one like i had for the C25K.

I think theres a couple here http://www.c25k.com/

Scroll to near the bottom to the "After C25K; 10k and Beyond" Section
  • cerferchick
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site, but i've been doing C25K for about a month. I'm going to repeat week 4 next week beacuse I couldn't hang this week! It kicked my butt!
    Does anyone have a strength training program they do with C25K. I think I need to start getting my legs and core in better shape if I'm going to be a runner!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options

I completed my final run of the C25K today which means i've finished the program and I can't believe I am now a C25K graduate.

Despite having a flu bug for the last 10 days my run was great and I really enjoyed being back running again.

Thanks for all your support, i have loved being part of this group and im now really looking forward to moving onto the B210K.

I don't think i've ever stuck to an exercise program so long but the weeks have flown by. At my heavy weight i never thought i would be able to run 5k in 30 minutes.

CONGRATS! Im soooo happy you were able to finish the program. Great Job Couch to 5K Graduate!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    YAY! I ran my 1st 5k race this morning. I finished in 30 mins 3 secs. It wasnt too bad but that cold air, fog, inclines and a couple of stomach cramps had me thinking I wasnt going to be able to run the entire time. However, I just kept telling myself to push through it and I did!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Options
    Hey well done, thats awesome!! And a very respectable time too :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I've managed to strain a calf muscle so I'm having to rest for a couple of weeks which I guess will set me back a bit. Really looking forward to getting going again tho.
  • wendyco
    wendyco Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So this program will really have you running a 5k in 30 minutes??! Im looking at my milage and im completing the program but only getting in about 2.4 miles or so...and my pace is always 14-15 min a mile! That doesnt sound like I'd make it in 3 minutes? is this a bad time or will it get better? should I push harder?
  • laurzishot
    Options

Congrats on finishing!! That's great that you want to go straight onto b210k :bigsmile:
  • laurzishot
    Options
    YAY! I ran my 1st 5k race this morning. I finished in 30 mins 3 secs. It wasnt too bad but that cold air, fog, inclines and a couple of stomach cramps had me thinking I wasnt going to be able to run the entire time. However, I just kept telling myself to push through it and I did!

Wow way to go!! Great time, congrats on finishing through all the obstacles:flowerforyou:
  • laurzishot
    Options
    Hey everyone, just thought that i'd check in. I haven't started any new program yet as at the moment the 30 min run is enough for me and there's plenty to do with that like upping the speed and the incline. So i'm sticking with that for now and then a couple months later i want to start the b210k program :)
  • getfitlarry
    Options
    I'm starting week 5, day 1 today of Couch to 5k. This has been so much fun and I can't wait until I can get out and run.
  • getfitlarry
    Options
    So this program will really have you running a 5k in 30 minutes??! Im looking at my milage and im completing the program but only getting in about 2.4 miles or so...and my pace is always 14-15 min a mile! That doesnt sound like I'd make it in 3 minutes? is this a bad time or will it get better? should I push harder?

If you stick with it, your time will increase. 15 minutes a mile is a 4mph pace and you're looking to do 6mph if you want to do 3 miles in 30 minutes. It's not hard to increase to this pace, it just takes time.

Remember the three don'ts when training:

Don't run too far.
    Don't run too fast.
    Don't run too often.

In other words, don't increase your distance by more than 10%. Don't try to run at a 10mph pace when starting out. Don't run every day, give yourself rest days or cross train to give your muscles time to heal and they will perform even better.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Congrats, loveme445. That's awesome!

Due to a crazy schedule last week, I didn't make it to the gym as well as missing the 3rd day of Week 4. When I went to the gym yesterday, I was really worried that I had suffered a major setback, and was prepared to go back to Week 3. However, I decided give it a shot and continue back on Week4 and was amazed at how much easier it was than my previous two sessions! I'll go ahead and get two more this week in Week4 and then be ready to move on.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thought i better check in. Thanks for all your nice comments. I haven't yet started the B210K because my asthma has been playing up since i had the cold bug, my last run left me feeling a bit weak so im playing it safe and allowing my chest to get better before i start the new program.

I do feel though i need to keep going or else i wll not carry on now.
  • rubysparkle
    Options
    I'm fighting this annoying cough right now. I haven't run since last weekend because i didn't want to make it worse but my weights gone up 2lbs from not exercising. If i walk i just cough constantly. Urghh so annoying. So the B210K is still not started, maybe the time out is what i needed.

Hope everyone is doing ok, resting or running :)
  • rubysparkle
    Options
    Ok, week one / day one of B210K done. It did feel like a step up but no harder really than the last week of C25K. My breathing is still a struggle due to my cough but it was manageable and wow did the calories get burnt.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Options
    Awesome well done! :bigsmile:

How did you find your run after taking a break? I'm currently on a 2 to 3 week break due to a strained muscle and I'm getting a bit worried it will put my progress back. I did get as far as b210k week 2 but I'm planning to go back to the 30 minute runs for a while when I start up again.
  • lainglesita
    lainglesita Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yep... Count me in. I keep starting and stopping so I have never passed the first week!
  • StephanieSherie
    StephanieSherie Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Remember the three don'ts when training:

Don't run too far.
    Don't run too fast.
    Don't run too often.

In other words, don't increase your distance by more than 10%. Don't try to run at a 10mph pace when starting out. Don't run every day, give yourself rest days or cross train to give your muscles time to heal and they will perform even better.

I like this! One thing I love about this app is that it doesn't dictate my speed. I've NEVER been a fast runner and so I have struggles going with a group. This lets me listen to my own music or audiobooks and go at my own pace without overdoing it. I love it!
  • StephanieSherie
    StephanieSherie Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I will definitely have to check out the podcasts.

What podcasts? THere is more on the C25K?