What is clean eating?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

much like I COULD spend all my money on hookers and blow- except that means I don't have gas to put into my tank to get to work.

Sounds like a good time to me! Sign me up.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi pals I'm Kimberly & I'm working on becoming a healthier me!! I'm trying to make better food choices. What do you consider clean eating?

The definition of clean eating is vague and largely depends on who you ask. To a Paleo person that would mean anything that humans from the paleolithic era would have had access to, so nothing processed. I think this is silly for Modern Day humans. humans from the paleolithic period had to hunt and gather for their food and didn't have 3 balanced square meals per day, they ate what ever they could find. They were also a lot more active and had to hunt / gather for their food, going to the local whole foods isn't exactly going to simulate that.

My definition of clean food is food that doesn't have dirt or filth on it. I eat all foods, processed, from McDonald's, whole foods, giant or what ever. Nothing I put in my body is dirty.

People seem to think that "clean" eating (which ever definition of it they prefer) will help you lose weight and be healthier. If you track your calories and watch your MACROS you will be just fine, and you don't have to eat like a caveman to do it.

Whether you think Paleo is silly is a moot point. If someone wants to eat Paleo, they do not need to justify their choice to anyone. The same applies to eating clean, eating dirty or eating upside down! Many have reported that eating clean helps them lose weight. The reason being, whole foods tend to be lower in calories than processed foods. That means you can eat more food for fewer calories so you feel full longer. They are also lower in sugar so there isn't the sugar crash or cravings, both of which can make you eat more than you intended. In short, eating clean does make it easier to create and maintain the calorie deficit necessary for weight loss.

yes- but it doesn't need a name. you don't have to call it a thing. That's what irks me- it's not eating clean- ti's just eating to maximize your calories and taking advantage of lower calorie- but filling food.

I fill my diet with chick and veggies- and eggs and bacon- but eat a snickers mini- or a milky way mini daily at work- I have random cakes- and processed food too- when I go out I tend to stick with meats and veggies- minimal sauces- why- because it's the most bang for my buck.

But I'm not a clean eater. I'm not an anything eater- I just eat in a way that meets my goals and makes me happy. There is no accidental cutting out of food- I don't cut out food- I just don't eat food I don't like- and or- it's just too da*n calorically expensive. But not because it's inheriently "bad".

There is a difference in eating to meet your goals verses saying I'm eating "Clean" and pure... vs dirty and vile food. One is just eating- the other is placing human emotion and ascribing guilt toward food- it's just silly.

Because you're right- you don't need to justify your food choices- but along with that means- you don't need to give it a name either. Just eat what you like, how you like and if you aren't meeting your goals then you know it's time to change. If you're still meeting your goals-then press on Luis and Clark- press on.

I disagree. Certain styles of food choices get labelled all the time and clean eating is no different. If someone tells me they are eating Paleo, a more restrictive form of clean eating, I immediately know what foods they aren't eating. This is very useful to me when entertaining. If I'm looking for a way to zip up the veggie portion of a meal I often turn to vegetarian recipes. Again, that label is useful. In the real world, it is a much less concern than on the forums because most folks are polite enough not to attack another's food choices. No one notices if we don't frequent fast food restaurants or even cares what we order when eating out. There might be a polite "how's your meal" before moving onto another topic without so much as questioning why or attacking you for not eating meat that meal. Honestly, these forums are the only place I've seen such nonsense regarding diet labels. I eat clean, someone else eats vegan, someone else eats Primal and in the end, that label is the easiest way to describe how you eat without going into a long list of what you do or don't eat. Again, the label serves a useful purpose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yes- but it doesn't need a name. you don't have to call it a thing. That's what irks me- it's not eating clean- ti's just eating to maximize your calories and taking advantage of lower calorie- but filling food.

I fill my diet with chick and veggies- and eggs and bacon- but eat a snickers mini- or a milky way mini daily at work- I have random cakes- and processed food too- when I go out I tend to stick with meats and veggies- minimal sauces- why- because it's the most bang for my buck.

But I'm not a clean eater. I'm not an anything eater- I just eat in a way that meets my goals and makes me happy. There is no accidental cutting out of food- I don't cut out food- I just don't eat food I don't like- and or- it's just too da*n calorically expensive. But not because it's inheriently "bad".

There is a difference in eating to meet your goals verses saying I'm eating "Clean" and pure... vs dirty and vile food. One is just eating- the other is placing human emotion and ascribing guilt toward food- it's just silly.

Because you're right- you don't need to justify your food choices- but along with that means- you don't need to give it a name either. Just eat what you like, how you like and if you aren't meeting your goals then you know it's time to change. If you're still meeting your goals-then press on Luis and Clark- press on.

Couldn't agree more. It's the labeling thing that drives me crazy too. Just eat according to your goals.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is avoiding foods which have chemicals and harmful substances. Many people are starting to go on organic or naturals, organic has no chemicals and they are not using pesticides in growing some fruits and vegetables. Processed food and junk foods are also unhealthy.

Sorry, but I cannot resist. The only thing that doesn't have chemicals is _nothing_. Organic has chemicals as everything is comprised of chemicals. Everything. Not to mention that all food is, inherently, organic.

Oh, anything that is picked or dug up is processed, as harvesting is a process.

These are terms that are too loosely used. Sure, I "know what you mean" most likely, but show me an inorganic banana that you would eat as an example.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If someone tells me they are eating Paleo, a more restrictive form of clean eating

Depends who you ask...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    organic has no chemicals and they are not using pesticides in growing some fruits and vegetables

Sadly that is not true...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I disagree. Certain styles of food choices get labelled all the time and clean eating is no different. If someone tells me they are eating Paleo, a more restrictive form of clean eating, I immediately know what foods they aren't eating. This is very useful to me when entertaining. If I'm looking for a way to zip up the veggie portion of a meal I often turn to vegetarian recipes. Again, that label is useful. In the real world, it is a much less concern than on the forums because most folks are polite enough not to attack another's food choices. No one notices if we don't frequent fast food restaurants or even cares what we order when eating out. There might be a polite "how's your meal" before moving onto another topic without so much as questioning why or attacking you for not eating meat that meal. Honestly, these forums are the only place I've seen such nonsense regarding diet labels. I eat clean, someone else eats vegan, someone else eats Primal and in the end, that label is the easiest way to describe how you eat without going into a long list of what you do or don't eat. Again, the label serves a useful purpose.

Meh Over thinking it.
    avoiding certain foods for moral or ethical or medical issues are not the same thing as a personal choice.

If someone said " I eat clean" that wouldn't mean anything to me other than "make sure it's a home cooked meal with no carbs"

seriously- it's so generic- and it's such a personal choice that has nothing to do with almost anything- it doesn't help me narrow down or eliminate or deal with food what so ever. It means - cook it at home to me... but if you're coming over and we don't have plans- then we probably were doing that anyway.

As a host- if you are cooking- you (i believe to be courtesy) should ask "are there any food things I need to be aware of".. at that point you can say- well I don't eat a lot of sugar- or carbs or whatsoever but I have no intolerance's. And then it's on you the guest to be polite and eat as best you can with what you have.

and yes- I agree the labels can be useful- I google paleo stuff all the time- it's an easy handle- but I think calling the way I eat- paleo or clean is just silly- and clean has no defined realm- paleo at least has a pseudo list (lets be honest- they cant' make up their minds- BUT... at least here is a list)

clean is just way to generic and unneeded. And if you can't come up with a better way to quickly define how you eat than "clean" to someone hosting you for dinner- you got bigger problems.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it helps- that really is how I feel about it- and I did go through a about 9 months of "clean eating" or psuedo paleo- and it helped me really come through to learn to how to feed my body better AND still get enough calories AND still have room for all my cake and beer.

Funny as bad as I am with money- I find using a budget analysis works pretty well.

eat what you want- but in a way that meets the goals- much like I COULD spend all my money on hookers and blow- except that means I don't have gas to put into my tank to get to work.

So- sometimes I put gas in the tank- sometimes I spend it on hookers and blow... which is why Monday- Friday it's a lot of chicken and veggies and then once a week it's full on pizza and beer.

easy peasy lemon squeezy.

saying something is to caloric expensive is an easy concept to grasp in terms of a budget.

Love this metaphor!

When I sit down to a fry-up or have a snickers now, I'm going to be thinking about hookers and blow :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I sit down to a fry-up or have a snickers now, I'm going to be thinking about hookers and blow :laugh:

who doesn't love hookers and blow- seriously.