42 calorie macaroni and cheese!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not a singe person attacked the OP. They pointed out that the recipe is unlikely to be anything but grotesque.

The recipe =/= the OP.

I really wish people could see that difference. It would really cut down on the unnecessary white knighting and inevitable (and equally useless) mean people threads.
    Did you read the entire thread? Someone commented on how low calorie the recipe was and posted a link to eating disorders (unless it was taken down after I flagged it). IMO, that is attacking someone...

It's amazing how even though the post is actually visible, you still go ahead and make crap up. Never said that the reason I put up the link was because she posted some low calorie recipe, nor did I say or insinuate the recipe was linked to her having an ED.

I provided the link because OP's diary didn't just consist of one or two days of under 900 calorie days but WEEKS of it...ranging from 900, 700, 500, and even a couple 200-something days.

And if you've been on the forums awhile, you also tend to notice people who are pro-ana tend to lean towards certain low cal foods (shirataki noodles being one of the favorite choices) in order to fool themselves into being fool while trying to maintain their dangerous lifestyles. I've also known people in recovery from such eating disorders that have admitted this to me. But again, that wasn't the reason I put up the link.

So how is it attacking when someone shows genuine concern of someone else who is seemingly displaying certain behaviours (like habitual low calorie logging) to provide the link to the National Eating Disorder website that provides information and services for those with EDs to get help, again?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What I've learned on the MFP forums today: there are actually posters on the forums that have been here since 2011 that - apparently - don't know who trog is.

Mind.Blown.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This thread turned epic since this morning. :love:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    When I read recipe threads, I am SO GRATEFUL for the people who comment negatively. Negative comments keep expectations for a recipe low, which I like (and sometimes the negative comments are funny). I can choose to listen to them and be cautious or make substitutions, or I can ignore them and see if they're wrong.

The (unfortunately deactivated) OP asked for opinions in a public place and got exactly what she asked for. The people saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, just keep scrolling." NO. You have it backwards. If you don't like the COMMENTS, then YOU keep scrolling, or use the "Ignore User" function.

Thank you negative people, for throwing words of caution into this recipe thread.

In the future, if any of you want to avoid opinions that may differ from yours, staying out of the public forums and keeping your ideas to your own friend list is probably a good idea. :flowerforyou:

This is why we're friends. I think I'd rather eat this mac n cheese though

Zl8Zshw.jpg
    The horror :sick:
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What I've learned on the MFP forums today: there are actually posters on the forums that have been here since 2011 that - apparently - don't know who trog is.

Mind.Blown.

It's because he changed his profile pic...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Mind.Blown.
    heh.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    When I read recipe threads, I am SO GRATEFUL for the people who comment negatively. Negative comments keep expectations for a recipe low, which I like (and sometimes the negative comments are funny). I can choose to listen to them and be cautious or make substitutions, or I can ignore them and see if they're wrong.

The (unfortunately deactivated) OP asked for opinions in a public place and got exactly what she asked for. The people saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, just keep scrolling." NO. You have it backwards. If you don't like the COMMENTS, then YOU keep scrolling, or use the "Ignore User" function.

Thank you negative people, for throwing words of caution into this recipe thread.

In the future, if any of you want to avoid opinions that may differ from yours, staying out of the public forums and keeping your ideas to your own friend list is probably a good idea. :flowerforyou:

Zl8Zshw.jpg

I think that's justification for me to shoot someone in self defense.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    So how is it attacking when someone shows genuine concern of someone else who is seemingly displaying certain behaviours (like habitual low calorie logging) to provide the link to the National Eating Disorder website that provides information and services for those with EDs to get help, again?

I don't think it's an attack unless you have zero good intentions. People get defensive when you call them out on something in front of an audience. If you suspected a friend/relative had an ED would you talk to them privately or announce it in front of a large group of people?

My two cents? The recipe sounds gross and I'm amused when people are offended for others on the internet.

Hooray for mean people threads.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    ooooo... I'm in to hear back about the gastrointestinal experience of trying this recipe.

giphy.gif

I could hang until I saw this.

EW!
  • MINDyourMOXIE
    MINDyourMOXIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you feel sincere concern for someone, esp. on a sensitive subject like an ED, a private e-mail may have been a better route.

In addition, there may be circumstances that you are not aware of or are not entitled to know that could explain low cal counts. The OP attempted to explain her reasons even though she never should of had to. If you took a quick look at my diary you may have come to the same conclusion about me. ASSUMPTIONS ARE NOT A GOOD THING. A closer look with relevant facts included could definitely leave anyone assuming I have an ED ashamed at their snap judgement. I am in a wheelchair and battling a muscle disease which makes exercise and physical activity very different from what most others can do. Things like the disease itself, infusions and medication often have eating restrictions or make me sick. Putting all that + other things in the equation = the low cal count. I'm interested in low-cal food because my daily limit isn't high and I would rather get more food per cal when I want AND can eat.

Wishing everyone good luck in their individual journeys! :flowerforyou:
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Zl8Zshw.jpg

OMG that mac & cheese is an abomination. Though I'd still eat it instead of the shazam noodles, or whatever they're called.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you feel sincere concern for someone, esp. on a sensitive subject like an ED, a private e-mail may have been a better route.

In addition, there may be circumstances that you are not aware of or are not entitled to know that could explain low cal counts. The OP attempted to explain her reasons even though she never should of had to. If you took a quick look at my diary you may have come to the same conclusion about me. ASSUMPTIONS ARE NOT A GOOD THING. A closer look with relevant facts included could definitely leave anyone assuming I have an ED ashamed at their snap judgement. I am in a wheelchair and battling a muscle disease which makes exercise and physical activity very different from what most others can do. Things like the disease itself, infusions and medication often have eating restrictions or make me sick. Putting all that + other things in the equation = the low cal count. I'm interested in low-cal food because my daily limit isn't high and I would rather get more food per cal when I want AND can eat.

#1. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I never thought of sending a PM if I suspected ED. Thanks for that. :flowerforyou:

#2. As for not knowing everything about a situation, that's why it's important to include all relevant details in your original post. A lot of times I see threads where commenters get frustrated because the OP left out crucial medical details (like your example) which would affect answers given.

Thanks and good luck to you. :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This sounds terrible but seeing as how I already have those ingredients and am a stupidly low cal target (for me) I'll give it a crack tomorrow.

No!

DON'T DO IT!

I disagree.

DO IT! AND REPORT BACK!

FOR SCIENCE!!

Alright.

For science.

With pictures.

*blurgh*

Hey, better him than me.

I'll take one for the team.

Prelogged until Friday so it will be happening then. That is 48 hours away Americans :smile:

In.

Mainly because Im curious how it turns out. This concoction sounds like something I'd only eat when I'm like 7 days away from a paycheck and am for some reason really broke and thinking about how to combine random stuff in my cupboards

I think scouring the street for the $0.25 to buy a package of ramen sounds like a better idea, personally.

But so in to see results.

i live in chinatown. do you know how many shazam (i'm stealing that from a previous poster in this thread) i can get for 25 cents? like 2 pounds worth and they'd probably throw in a bag of those flaky dried fish my cat used to love.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • MINDyourMOXIE
    MINDyourMOXIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options

#1. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I never thought of sending a PM if I suspected ED. Thanks for that. :flowerforyou:

#2. As for not knowing everything about a situation, that's why it's important to include all relevant details in your original post. A lot of times I see threads where commenters get frustrated because the OP left out crucial medical details (like your example) which would affect answers given.

Thanks and good luck to you. :smile:

If one is simply asking for thoughts/experiences/advice with a recipe I utterly fail in seeing the relevant necessity of a medical disclosure. No one should HAVE to disclose any personal information, especially when it is completely irrelevant to the question posed in the original post. I don't have anymore to say on this subject; hopefully something positive will come out of the things I wrote.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mz3n1tpA3S1sa73pbo3_250.gif
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Not a singe person attacked the OP. They pointed out that the recipe is unlikely to be anything but grotesque.

The recipe =/= the OP.

I really wish people could see that difference. It would really cut down on the unnecessary white knighting and inevitable (and equally useless) mean people threads.
    Did you read the entire thread? Someone commented on how low calorie the recipe was and posted a link to eating disorders (unless it was taken down after I flagged it). IMO, that is attacking someone...

It's amazing how even though the post is actually visible, you still go ahead and make crap up. Never said that the reason I put up the link was because she posted some low calorie recipe, nor did I say or insinuate the recipe was linked to her having an ED.

I provided the link because OP's diary didn't just consist of one or two days of under 900 calorie days but WEEKS of it...ranging from 900, 700, 500, and even a couple 200-something days.

And if you've been on the forums awhile, you also tend to notice people who are pro-ana tend to lean towards certain low cal foods (shirataki noodles being one of the favorite choices) in order to fool themselves into being fool while trying to maintain their dangerous lifestyles. I've also known people in recovery from such eating disorders that have admitted this to me. But again, that wasn't the reason I put up the link.

If you go into the why is everyone hateful thread I was actually defending the people who deactivate their accounts. However I sent Pika a kudos message for the reply mentioning ED. Pika took the time to go into the OP's diary and review not just a day but a long period of time and noticed a scary trend. OUT OF CARING Pika didn't accuse the OP of an ED just simply gave some information IN CASE the OP needed help.

I still think it was the right thing to do because their may be others who are looking at low calorie alternatives but not in a healthy way. There was no finger pointing or "OP must be throwing up after eating this to lose even more calories" or something along those lines. Pika provided information that honestly may be needed.

Wow in one day I went from hating the forums to defending the "haters" ... I had to step back and logically think things through..
    What's happening to me :(

tumblr_m66w5gnCfO1rotev2o1_500.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ooooo... I'm in to hear back about the gastrointestinal experience of trying this recipe.

giphy.gif

This gif.
    The end.