Why are people so hateful??

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's not bullying if it's a situation where an adult can walk away without real life consequences.

That is probably the most direct and succient definition of bullying I've ever seen. Well done.

Yeah, being bullied is when you are in a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence and you are bein coerced.

That does not exist here.

Good thing the authorities don't view the definition of bullying as "a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence."

You are probably thinking about the cases of Facebook bullying that resulted in a couple of suicides.

Let me be clear for you. Those were situations in which people purposefully when after people and in ways above and beyond being mean. That is not the same as calling someone stupid, refuting their arguments, etc. To draw a parallel for MFP, a person would need to constantly follow a person around the forums, message them constantly, and circumvent any ignoring/blocking that the "bullied" user put in place.

Which is so totally against the guidelines that it would get your user profile deleted STAT.

Apparently not since there's a certain individual who was doing way worse last night…. actually making threats, harassing, and making racist comments to a number of individuals last night and his account is still active.

Major failure on the mods behalf.

They deleted the thread and probably reprimanded the person. He could possibly be banned from the forums. How is that a fail?

And remember, YOU have every opportunity to ignore and block the person so as to not be able to be contacted again.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I get an urge to start a thread with the request to provide your interpretation of the words:
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

But you don't get to accuse anyone unless you post examples from the forums. Wonder how it would develop...

I don't think many people even know what the meaning of these words are.

Just disagreeing with someone, even if it's dangerous, and you get thrown into the lions den, for being a hater and rude.

Can I ask why people keep trying to help others here? I enjoy helping new people, but really the "you suck and are a mean hater for disagreeing with my 500 calorie a day juice cleanse" is really frustrating. Demotivating when it comes to helping new people, and I haven't been trying that long. Some of you have been here slugging through the trenches for a long time. You are articulate, thoughtful and helpful.

I'm probably being overly sensitive (obviously, I am) but what's the point in trying to help others when they backhand you for it?
    A few people have directly informed me that the advice I've given them has been spot on. Others have done the contrary. As long as I feel there is even one person out there, who might find just what they needed to hear in what I had to say, I will keep posting. I admire those, who have been around much longer, because it takes a certain kind of teflon skin not to be bothered by the insulting insinuations that one is a hater, meanie, or bully.

I actually did stop helping people.

That makes me sad, because you were one of the people I first appreciated here.

It was a combination of weariness of defending science against opinion based pseudoscience, it being a near thankless effort, and the site staff ignoring common sense suggestions that would have greatly benefitted new users and freed up the advice-givers to concentrate their efforts more efficiently. That and it seemed like they were sometimes directly working against established science and setting back our efforts.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's a public website so you'll get everything in the threads. Sift through all the BS (like the Internet) and take useful information from it or go elsewhere for help. Try not to take things personally and just let it roll off your back. Of course if it's inappropriate report them. Good luck in your quest for fitness! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I get an urge to start a thread with the request to provide your interpretation of the words:
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

But you don't get to accuse anyone unless you post examples from the forums. Wonder how it would develop...

Just disagreeing with someone, even if it's dangerous, and you get thrown into the lions den, for being a hater and rude.

Can I ask why people keep trying to help others here? I enjoy helping new people, but really the "you suck and are a mean hater for disagreeing with my 500 calorie a day juice cleanse" is really frustrating. Demotivating when it comes to helping new people, and I haven't been trying that long. Some of you have been here slugging through the trenches for a long time. You are articulate, thoughtful and helpful.

I'm probably being overly sensitive (obviously, I am) but what's the point in trying to help others when they backhand you for it?
    A few people have directly informed me that the advice I've given them has been spot on. Others have done the contrary. As long as I feel there is even one person out there, who might find just what they needed to hear in what I had to say, I will keep posting. I admire those, who have been around much longer, because it takes a certain kind of teflon skin not to be bothered by the insulting insinuations that one is a hater, meanie, or bully.

It was a combination of weariness of defending science against opinion based pseudoscience, it being a near thankless effort, and the site staff ignoring common sense suggestions that would have greatly benefitted new users and freed up the advice-givers to concentrate their efforts more efficiently. That and it seemed like they were sometimes directly working against established science and setting back our efforts.

Are you talking about the MFP Blog and the sugar warning?

OMG.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come in line with some down right hostile threads going on here.....This is supposed to be a place of help and support, not ripping each other to shreds on who is right and wrong. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for someone else and vice versa. Am I alone on this? :grumble:

Some people are jerks, some are oversensitive, and some ignorantly cling to myths that have been debunked with science.

^^This. Take what you can, research what you read, and add the people you can connect to as friends for support.
    It also helps to seek out the good rather than specifically go after the bad, but then again it is so simple and clever a solution that the non-"meanies" flat out ignore it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

OMG.

Don't even get me started on that, the content on that blog is atrocious.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's not bullying if it's a situation where an adult can walk away without real life consequences.

That is probably the most direct and succient definition of bullying I've ever seen. Well done.

Yeah, being bullied is when you are in a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence and you are bein coerced.

Good thing the authorities don't view the definition of bullying as "a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence."

You are probably thinking about the cases of Facebook bullying that resulted in a couple of suicides.

Let me be clear for you. Those were situations in which people purposefully when after people and in ways above and beyond being mean. That is not the same as calling someone stupid, refuting their arguments, etc. To draw a parallel for MFP, a person would need to constantly follow a person around the forums, message them constantly, and circumvent any ignoring/blocking that the "bullied" user put in place.

Actually, I was talking about bullying in general. Not what happens on Facebook or Twitter or whatever other social media sites people use these days.

And that's not the "bullying" I'm referring to.

Can you give a single example of an adult being "bullied"? Even a theoretical example.

A rapist who sues for custody of the child after it is born and then uses that custody to wield power over their victim.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Which is so totally against the guidelines that it would get your user profile deleted STAT.

Apparently not since there's a certain individual who was doing way worse last night…. actually making threats, harassing, and making racist comments to a number of individuals last night and his account is still active.

Major failure on the mods behalf.

Well that is outrageous, we should stop paying those MFP mods right away for not protecting an adult from another adult on a free public webpage.
  • wheird
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

I haven't seen Jonnythan around much either :(

He either got fed up or collected too many strikes. It is a shame. He is a brilliant man.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

I certainly understand your point. Doesn't make me less sad. :flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

OMG.

That is precisely it.

However, they did finally take my suggestion of offering mod positions to some of the more knowledgable users. That was a great step.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

He either got fed up or collected too many strikes. It is a shame. He is a brilliant man.

I'm assuming (hoping) that Sarauk and SideSteel are just too busy right now - especially with their forum. Which was a brilliant idea and something that more of the experienced users should try.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

OMG.

That is precisely it.

However, they did finally take my suggestion of offering mod positions to some of the more knowledgable users. That was a great step.

Hugs, honey. That's all I have to offer.
  • gclauson
    gclauson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Juicing is indeed stupid. Kudos.
  • wheird
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

I'm assuming (hoping) that Sarauk and SideSteel are just too busy right now - especially with their forum. Which was a brilliant idea and something that more of the experienced users should try.

Just got word jonnythan is in med school! Busy, not banned!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    See now, all the meanies talking in such a calm and rational way..

I wonder how many have hit the ignore button on me. It just amuses me for some reason, because I was an exemplary student and both teachers and classmates liked me. Even now, as adult, I never have real problems with people, unless they start something (which happens once in a decade or so). I guess text and not seeing faces makes the trigger-happy folks read stuff into stuff that just isn't there.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

Just got word jonnythan is in med school! Busy, not banned!

Woo Hoo!
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I happen to like juicing iykwim.
  • wheird
    Options

I happen to like juicing iykwim.

can confirm