50 Shades - Great, or the Greatest?

Options

Replies

• SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    50 shades of Grey pretty much sums up an abusive relationship. I've read articles about how it fits every single category of an abusive relationship.

Ive kinda got to agree with you, as a child who grew up with domestic abuse the first book often made me cringe with memories of that type of relationship.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I havent even seen Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, or Captain America 2 so yeah, this one is pretty low on the list of movies to go see. And now that its football season.

Forget it.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    :explode:
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Fairly simple question. I've never seen a work of fiction so thoroughly explore women's issues. Can't believe they're making it into a film, considering Hollywood's penchant for populist pandering. Hard to believe that they'll tackle the hard issues like identity and sexual politics, and womens liberation -- all themes masterfully explored in the series.

You can't be serious, even if we forget the fact that the author shut down everyone that tried to help her understand the BDSM community, it glorifies abusive relationships and teaches young women that abuse = love just like twilight did.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ignorance regarding the books and now the coming movie, but this thread takes the cake. Holy crap, does it ever take the cake.

I KNOW! I can't believe half of the things people are writing here. I doubt half of them even ever read the series. Just a bunch of armchair critics for the new york times armchair review, writing armchair reviews for armchairs they haven't even sat in.

Sorry, but I did read the books. Painfully. Suffered through every page.

The sweet suffering kind? Like they teach us in the books?

jesus christ
  • DenaC3
    DenaC3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've read all three and found that I struggled to get through them, they were poorly written in my opinion. I got so sick of them going to bed every few pages and the encounter lasting for what felt like 20 pages. I have, however, read the Sylvia Day Crossfire Series and they are much better written. I do not plan to see the movie either. And before you jump the gun, I'm an avid reader of fiction and non-fiction, but those books are far down the list of something I'll pick up to read again.
  • OhhNiff
    OhhNiff Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, right?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Now, who was that poor editor and why didn't they get the boot?

The editor was told NOT TO EDIT. The publishing house told her to leave it mostly intact as it was. She's come out publicly and said she isn't happy about this book.

And just to let y'all know, if you haven't heard, the repercussions of this piece of awful being so popular and making so much money is we're about to get treated to more of the same with After by Anna Todd.

She has a $100,000 book deal and a movie deal already. Her book started on Wattpad. It's one of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Funny that the one guy I always see making ****ish comments on MFP thinks that abuse is a perfectly acceptable locus on the spectrum of relationships.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ignorance regarding the books and now the coming movie, but this thread takes the cake. Holy crap, does it ever take the cake.

I KNOW! I can't believe half of the things people are writing here. I doubt half of them even ever read the series. Just a bunch of armchair critics for the new york times armchair review, writing armchair reviews for armchairs they haven't even sat in.

Sorry, but I did read the books. Painfully. Suffered through every page.

The sweet suffering kind? Like they teach us in the books?

jesus christ

Yes, I hear he was into it too
  • juhnell2610
    juhnell2610 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Are you being for real right now?

It's an awful representation of bad BDSM. Not safe, sane, or consentual all the time.
    Wholeheartedly agree!

^this
  • juhnell2610
    juhnell2610 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Clearly on the level of Jane Austen or the Bronte Sisters. Another great day for women's lit.!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Seminal classics of the genre, such as Venus In Furs by Sader-Masoch, were subject to much the same criticisms in their day. The Marquis de Sade as well was thrown in prison for his adventurous writing.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

It's an awful representation of bad BDSM. Not safe, sane, or consentual all the time.
    Wholeheartedly agree!

^this

This thread makes me wonder whether "safe, sane and consensual" are the only words some people associate with BDSM. It's as if everyone is reading the same wiki page.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Wholeheartedly agree!

^this

This thread makes me wonder whether "safe, sane and consensual" are the only words some people associate with BDSM. It's as if everyone is reading the same wiki page.

Yes - it's on the same page that lists acceptable fantasies. Specifically, fantasies involving controlling and/or abusive relationships are explicity forbidden by the community, who decided at the 2008 annual jamboree that such fantasies are inconsistent with the lifestyle.

I'll thank you to run your kinks by the committee prior to indulging. Thank you.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Worst. Book. EVER!!

Never mind the fact that it was a Twilight Fanfic book. Or the fact that it is SO not what the lifestyle is. And boring? OMG! When I say I "read" the first book I mean flipped through the book looking for the 'hot sex' and laughed my butt off when I read it. The writing was sophomoric at best. Really, she had NO idea what those feelings "DOWN THERE" were? And her "inner goddess" garbage was enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out!

And the people that they chose for the movie looked about as live as a wet towel.

I will say though the author had one heck of a marketing agent. I would love the name of the company she used when I'm published.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, this thread has cheered up my day!

Whatever floats your boat I say!

If 50 shades turns you on then great. It may not be true to real life BDSM but hey.....it's fiction.

I am not interested in seeing the film.

I'm far too busy in my dungeon for that kind of thing :wink:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Wholeheartedly agree!

^this

Yes - it's on the same page that lists acceptable fantasies. Specifically, fantasies involving controlling and/or abusive relationships are explicity forbidden by the community, who decided at the 2008 annual jamboree that such fantasies are inconsistent with the lifestyle.

I'll thank you to run your kinks by the committee prior to indulging. Thank you.

I'm very sorry. Does the fantasy form need to be notarized and submitted in triplicate before or after I don my leather chaps?
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

I'm very sorry. Does the fantasy form need to be notarized and submitted in triplicate before or after I don my leather chaps?

We've all agreed that leather chaps are actually reminiscient of an era of animal cruelty, and are endorsing only vegan gear. Great news for the pleather fans out there! My condolences to the 'biker' subcommunity.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Dear America,

You gave us Twilight. Please accept our small gift of 50 Shades of Grey in return for your generous gift.

Kind Regards,

Great Britain

good-job.gif