50 Shades - Great, or the Greatest?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me wonder whether "safe, sane and consensual" are the only words some people associate with BDSM. It's as if everyone is reading the same wiki page.

Yes - it's on the same page that lists acceptable fantasies. Specifically, fantasies involving controlling and/or abusive relationships are explicity forbidden by the community, who decided at the 2008 annual jamboree that such fantasies are inconsistent with the lifestyle.

I'll thank you to run your kinks by the committee prior to indulging. Thank you.

I'm very sorry. Does the fantasy form need to be notarized and submitted in triplicate before or after I don my leather chaps?

We've all agreed that leather chaps are actually reminiscient of an era of animal cruelty, and are endorsing only vegan gear. Great news for the pleather fans out there! My condolences to the 'biker' subcommunity.

Do you have any idea how many naugas had to die for these chaps?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Funny that the one guy I always see making ****ish comments on MFP thinks that abuse is a perfectly acceptable locus on the spectrum of relationships.

Have you ever watched the Colbert Report? I can't believe the views that Colbert guy espouses. He's supposed to be a journalist! Where's his journalistic ethics? This guy kind of reminds me of him.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    50 Shades is just so.... just so.....

I'l leave it there.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Funny that the one guy I always see making ****ish comments on MFP thinks that abuse is a perfectly acceptable locus on the spectrum of relationships.

Have you ever watched the Colbert Report? I can't believe the views that Colbert guy espouses. He's supposed to be a journalist! Where's his journalistic ethics? This guy kind of reminds me of him.

That entire show is satire. As is this thread. I'm too lazy to post pictures so <insert facepalm meme here>.

ETA She also might be making a joke... Troll on. I'm enjoying the nonsense.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

That entire show is satire. As is this thread. I'm too lazy to post pictures so <insert facepalm meme here>.

In the history of MFP, I don't believe I've ever seen a point missed that badly
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Worst. Book. EVER!!

Never mind the fact that it was a Twilight Fanfic book. Or the fact that it is SO not what the lifestyle is. And boring? OMG! When I say I "read" the first book I mean flipped through the book looking for the 'hot sex' and laughed my butt off when I read it. The writing was sophomoric at best. Really, she had NO idea what those feelings "DOWN THERE" were? And her "inner goddess" garbage was enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out!

And the people that they chose for the movie looked about as live as a wet towel.

I will say though the author had one heck of a marketing agent. I would love the name of the company she used when I'm published.
    LOL I forgot the "down there" completely, was so focussed on the inner goddess!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me wonder whether "safe, sane and consensual" are the only words some people associate with BDSM. It's as if everyone is reading the same wiki page.

Yes - it's on the same page that lists acceptable fantasies. Specifically, fantasies involving controlling and/or abusive relationships are explicity forbidden by the community, who decided at the 2008 annual jamboree that such fantasies are inconsistent with the lifestyle.

I'll thank you to run your kinks by the committee prior to indulging. Thank you.

I'm very sorry. Does the fantasy form need to be notarized and submitted in triplicate before or after I don my leather chaps?

We've all agreed that leather chaps are actually reminiscient of an era of animal cruelty, and are endorsing only vegan gear. Great news for the pleather fans out there! My condolences to the 'biker' subcommunity.

I like you :laugh:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ignorance regarding the books and now the coming movie, but this thread takes the cake. Holy crap, does it ever take the cake.

I heard there was cake here.

Apparently it's vanilla cake, and people don't like vanilla for some reason!! Vanilla is delicious!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, this thread has cheered up my day!

Whatever floats your boat I say!

If 50 shades turns you on then great. It may not be true to real life BDSM but hey.....it's fiction.

I am not interested in seeing the film.

I'm far too busy in my dungeon for that kind of thing :wink:

smiley-sex020.gif

:drinker:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options

In the history of MFP, I don't believe I've ever seen a point missed that badly

Awww. I suck. At least I realized it within 10 seconds.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The guidelines mean that you can trust the dominant in order to be able to submit without feeling terrified. Sure there will be pain, fear, uncertainty. But, you know that in the end you will not have been brutally raped, beaten, permanently injured, psychologically traumatized, angry, and experienced no pleasure. Especially if you have been through that before. Once you trust and feel safe, you are much more willing and eager to submit in a more full way. Some people need to form that trust before allowing themselves to be put in that completely vulnerable position from which they would not be able to escape.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The guidelines mean that you can trust the dominant in order to be able to submit without feeling terrified. Sure there will be pain, fear, uncertainty. But, you know that in the end you will not have been brutally raped, beaten, permanently injured, psychologically traumatized, angry, and experienced no pleasure. Especially if you have been through that before. Once you trust and feel safe, you are much more willing and eager to submit in a more full way. Some people need to form that trust before allowing themselves to be put in that completely vulnerable position from which they would not be able to escape.

Be honest, wouldn't someone screaming out "pickles" completely ruin it?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

:laugh: :wink:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

:laugh: :wink:

Isn't that the point of a safeword, though? You pick something like your mom's name as the safeword and it's guaranteed to immediately kill the scene.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of talented writers who put out top notch erotica that explores BDSM themes.

E.L. James ain't one of them.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Here's what I think is amazing about 50 shades: The author originally wrote it for an e-reader without a publisher, and today, pretty much everyone has heard of it. The odds of being so famous so quickly without a publisher are slim at best. It's a true success story completely driven by reader's word of mouth. That has to be just a little inspirational don't you think?

It obviously filled a void, whether it was simplicity, or timing or whatever. It has been talked about to death, whether people love it, hate it, or are just non-committal. I think more people would like the freedom to talk about sex without judgement and censorship. Maybe this is the itch that was scratched:)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    There are dozens of talented writers who put out top notch erotica that explores BDSM themes.

E.L. James ain't one of them.

Maybe 50 shades will encourage readers to seek out those talented writers.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The odds of being so famous so quickly without a publisher are slim at best

She was well-known in the fanfic world. She got a publisher off of that. That is why she's so well-known. This is not a self-published book without a publicist behind it.
    I think more people would like the freedom to talk about sex without judgement and censorship. Maybe this is the itch that was scratched:)

If people are feeling censored talking about sex, maybe they need a new crowd of people around them. In all my life, I've never had a problem talking openly about sex.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    r u for real? btw the trailer looks like a higher budget skinemax movie.

Please note I haven't seen the film. If it's half as thorough as the texts, it will likely become a classic; perhaps studied in college courses devoted to the subject matter.
    The books were horribly (if at all) researched!!! It just glorified an abusive, wanna-be BDSM relationship. Clearly you know nothing about the lifestyle, if you think it was thorough and/or well written. The books were lame and the movie looks lamer. I read them all because I'm a Pure Romance consultant and had to for work, otherwise, I never would have.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    r u for real? btw the trailer looks like a higher budget skinemax movie.

Please note I haven't seen the film. If it's half as thorough as the texts, it will likely become a classic; perhaps studied in college courses devoted to the subject matter.
    The books were horribly (if at all) researched!!! It just glorified an abusive, wanna-be BDSM relationship. Clearly you know nothing about the lifestyle, if you think it was thorough and/or well written. The books were lame and the movie looks lamer. I read them all because I'm a Pure Romance consultant and had to for work, otherwise, I never would have.

Please, oh wise and experienced one, do tell us about the Lifestyle