Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Missouri accents boggle my mind a bit, having learnt to speak in West Virginia, that is.

This sentence: "Take the fork in the road and continue down 44," is usually pronounced "Take the fark in the road and continue down farty-fahr." Yes, even on the news.

Personally, I can't complain much since I say (inexplicably) sody and sundah. My daughter is always mocking my pronunciation of caramel as "car-a-mel" because she insists it's "car-mul."

I relax in a hammuck, but others hear take their leisure in a ham-mock. My "cabnet" has my plates, but others keep theirs in a cab-i-net. (My Grandmother kept her drawers in her draws.)

The "ruins" have been heard to be "roins" and for some odd reason, we live in Missourah. Folks do their warsh with their laundry soap whereas I use detergent to wash my clothes.

We eat pork steaks instead of pork butts and we slather them with beebeecue sauce. We use wooster sauce for our steaks. Realators sell our homes and we used to have a nuculer power plant.

They ax questions in the libarry in Febyooary and use farks for our Gooey Butter Cake. We don't live far from Dez Moinz or Cay-ro, Illinoiz, if you can pitcher that.

We're a bit mixed up, in my opinion. Now, I'll go back to my sody and plan on my ice cream sunduh.
  • joet60
    joet60 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's a large difference between pronouncing words incorrctly and those same words sounding different because of an acent. Also some one brought up the pronounciation of French words, such as foyer.....the proper ENGLISH pronunciation is FOY_ER....not FOY_EY.....that would be the French ponounciation. Same with names of cities in Europe....Munich in english....Munchen in German....Turino in Italian, Turin in Englsih.
    München and Torino, sorry.

Thanks! :)
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian
    and the whole Miami - My-am-uh thing irritates the crap out of me.

I could ramble on for days.

one of the funniest I heard was an In-law (southeastern OK) discussing his crooknicks....... (yellow squash).

my neighborhood - all roads named after roads in France.....it gits interstin. :noway:
    we don't have streets, we have roads.

and it get's worse the further south you go, I've lived here my entire life, and even I get confused there.
    However, I have no accent at all. :bigsmile:

You spelled y'all wrong. Now who's the ignurnt one?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

We do it to irritate our former colonial overlords. The same reason we drive on the right side of the road and invaded Afghanistan.

I 'knowed' there was a reason :-p
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i love them! (still reading through them)..

i hate when people don't try to sound it out!!

example:
    people outside my area apparently can't take the time to sound out my city:
    Binghamton -- they either automatically think it's Birmingham or say Bing - hamp- ton - its bing-um-ton

or my last name:
    Platt-Harendza - they automatically say platE - hernandez - NO look at the letters! -- pl -at - HER-END-ZA
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*
    And apparently we also are barbaric and should be embarrassed over the way we use our eating utensils. I discovered that a couple days ago.

That's true and just a little weird to us civilised Europeans :-p

The 1st time I saw Americans trying to use cutlery (even in a good restaurant) my flabber was gasted.
    But there's nothing wrong with how we use our utensils. We use them differently, but how is that WRONG? The food gets from the plate to my mouth without dribbling down my chin or anything. It's beyond anger-making to be criticized over such trivial things. We don't care how YOU use your fork and knife. Why are you all so concerned with how we use ours? It's as though we're not allowed to have our own culture and customs. It bugs me.

Calm the F*** down no one said it was wrong :ohwell:
    Oh, you didn't see the conversation I was part of on FB about it. The people in question most definitely said it was wrong and were actually angry about it and said Americans lack the basic life skill of eating properly. They weren't joking.

Nope, not sure how I would have seen your FB conversation .. (seems to have been populated by muppets tho') .. I just think it's weird and weird's not wrong in my book.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

one of the funniest I heard was an In-law (southeastern OK) discussing his crooknicks....... (yellow squash).

my neighborhood - all roads named after roads in France.....it gits interstin. :noway:

and it get's worse the further south you go, I've lived here my entire life, and even I get confused there.

Day best be gitt'n going or ima fixin to open a can a woop *kitten*
  • bobsawyerdotcom
    Options
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."
    Realtor as "real-a-tor."
  • headofphat
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

We country boys don't worry too much about you city folk. We know how to navigate through the city but you can't navigate through our woods...haha.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options

The one that I wonder about is Carnegie. Andrew Carnegie was from Pittsburgh, but was a titan of industry world wide. As such many places are named after him, New York for example. But everyone else pronounces it Car-nuh-Gee while we say it Car-Nay-Gee.

I really hope everyone else is saying it wrong and not us.

i'm in upstate new york, i say Car-nuh-Gee!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

We country boys don't worry too much about you city folk. We know how to navigate through the city but you can't navigate through our woods...haha.

Who you call'n city folk?!
  • headofphat
    Options

The one that I wonder about is Carnegie. Andrew Carnegie was from Pittsburgh, but was a titan of industry world wide. As such many places are named after him, New York for example. But everyone else pronounces it Car-nuh-Gee while we say it Car-Nay-Gee.

I really hope everyone else is saying it wrong and not us.

i'm in upstate new york, i say Car-nuh-Gee!

I don't know about Carnegie but you also have an Albany, NY. Down here we have an Albany, GA and it's pronounced Al-beeny.
  • headofphat
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

I only assumed because your country writing seemed like it was a little overboard and stereotypical. It's cool bro, I actually dig the southern stereotypes but usually city folk will over do it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

I only assumed because your country writing seemed like it was a little overboard and stereotypical. It's cool bro, I actually dig the southern stereotypes but usually city folk will over do it.

Cheers - I'm from Florida and educated in your neck of the woods, though no one ever guesses where I'm from when I speak. To me, you can't take any of this too seriously
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Lancaster, PA.

It's pronounced lan-kiss-ter

Easiest way to figure out if someone is local or not.

We have one in Ohio, but we pronounce it LAIN-ca-ster... it's fun to listen to out-of-staters try to say it... :smile:

The one we have in Wisconsin is pronounced LAN-cas-ter
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Met a fella once.. co-worker... asked me to pass him the PAR-Mason cheese... instead of the par-meh-zhan cheese... I had to ask him 3 times what the Fu...???
  • headofphat
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

Cheers - I'm from Florida and educated in your neck of the woods, though no one ever guesses where I'm from when I speak. To me, you can't take any of this too seriously

No offense but if you're born and raised in Florida then you're not a Southerner. :grumble:
    Sorry that's my Southern elitist side coming out. Florida is affectionately called our Northern friends to the south. haha
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

No offense but if you're born and raised in Florida then you're not a Southerner. :grumble:
    Sorry that's my Southern elitist side coming out. Florida is affectionately called our Northern friends to the south. haha

It's okay, you Yankees are all the same
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

it's all in how you e·nun·ci·ate.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa... and we have several towns with issues

Nevada - pronounced ne-VAY-duh

We have one of those in Missouri too! Same awful pronunciation. Also in Oklahoma there's a Miami with the pronunciation of "My-AM-uh" which many insist is correct Native American pronunciation.

^^ It is.

It used to drive me crazy until I learned that pronouncing it "correctly" as per the spelling would actually be a gross bastardization of the tribe name, so I do it the native american way out of respect.