Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Cheniere in NE LA is pronounced locally as shinny. I lived in Monroe for 6 years, and it took me 5 years to get what the hell the exit was they were advertising on radio ads.

Heh, I live in Cheniere (Shin-E)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The one that bugs me, isn't a local thing.... Nuke-u-ler. Sets my teeth on edge.

Oh, and that damned restaurant is NOT called chi-pol-te. dang it!
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Didn't scroll through it all, but Ohio has some weird ones for towns. We have Versailles (pronounced like Ver-sails) and Russia (pronounced like Roo-she).
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    when someone pronounces it "expresso" i die a little inside.

and this is not pronounced like the city in Texas.

HOUSTON-STREET-SIGN.jpg

:drinker:

HOUSEton people. Not HUUston
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    We don't have an accent. Ya'll do.

In college, we were discussing dialects, and our language arts prof gave us some trivia: a lot of southern euphemisms and manners of speech are Appalachian based (no surprise).

Before you start to paddle faster because you hear banjos, bear with me. The folks from Appalachia were cut off geographically from the big cities, like New York and Philadelphia and their realms of language influence and evolution. But they did keep the Queen's English, that is, the queens of England from the time of colonization to Victoria.

Older english literature can be shown to reflect language usage found in the Appalachian-influenced region. "Carry me to the store" (give me a ride to the store), "I'm fixing to do something" (I'm about to do something). "i reckon" (I think).

^^ Yay!
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The one that bugs me, isn't a local thing.... Nuke-u-ler. Sets my teeth on edge.

Oh, and that damned restaurant is NOT called chi-pol-te. dang it!

OMG I HATE "nucular!" I can understand mispronunciations based on syllables and because of cultural differences, but COME ON! It's not even how the word is spelled. I hear Another one... "drownding." As in, "HELP, I'm DROWNDING!!" or "If you go out in the rain, you're going to get drownded."
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Kentucky: ken - tuck - ee (right) cane - tuck - ee (wrong)

A sign on the front of the Louisville Visitors Center mocks the different ways that people pronounce the name of our city: "Lewisville," "Looeyville," "Looavull," "Looaville," and "Luhvull."
    Phonetically, it would seem that the "Lewisville" or "Looeyville" pronunciations would be correct. However, pronouncing the name of your new home either of those ways is sure to give you away as an outsider.
    The pronunciation that most Louisville residents use is "Looavull," though "Looaville" and "Luhvull" aren’t uncommon.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calling local pronunciations ignorant, but these ones amuse me:

Norfolk, NE - Norfork

Escalante, UT - EscalANT or EscalANTee

Hurricane, UT - Hurrk'n

Kanab, UT is pronounced like can + AB, but people from elsewhere say "con + OB" o_O I don't know how you get "con ob" from that spelling.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all over the South, people say INsurance instead of inSURance. Working in insurance, that always bugged the hell out of me.

I'm from Illinois, and I say INsurance.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Warsh (Wash)
    Same with Warshington. It's WASH-ington, people.

I once knew a guy from Chicago who called me "cookie". Except he pronounced it "cuuuuukie". Still makes my stomach do silly little flip-flops for no reason.

Cinnanim for Cinnamon

And unfortunately, I used to say pacifically for specifically.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Also, it drives me crazy that most people who live in San Francisco get their panties in a wad over people saying "Frisco" or "San Fran". As if using a nickname for it is a capital offense and summons the devil.

WHO CARES?!?!?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Maine.

Where r's are o's and FIRE is FIO!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Also, it drives me crazy that most people who live in San Francisco get their panties in a wad over people saying "Frisco" or "San Fran". As if using a nickname for it is a capital offense and summons the devil.

WHO CARES?!?!?

Ah... but according to some on this thread, the ignorant fools living there should be calling it Sahn Frahn-CEES-co! :wink:
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................

This board is called "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" ... lighten up Francis..:tongue::tongue:

Sure, if you consider it "fun" to be an *kitten* and mock others to stroke your "superiority". I consider it pathetic and crass..........
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Seems to be people looks to be insulted, upset, etc. of some of the most ignorant things. Like any of this crap has anything to do with the price of milk.

That's pronounced IG-NERT here in Indiana, dammit. ;)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Seems to be people looks to be insulted, upset, etc. of some of the most ignorant things. Like any of this crap has anything to do with the price of milk.

That's pronounced IG-NERT here in Indiana, dammit. ;)

it's ig"nint"...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................

This board is called "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" ... lighten up Francis..:tongue::tongue:

Sure, if you consider it "fun" to be an *kitten* and mock others to stroke your "superiority". I consider it pathetic and crass..........
    I bet you get invited to a lot of parties.
  • Worcester is, somehow, Wooster