Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian
    and the whole Miami - My-am-uh thing irritates the crap out of me.

I could ramble on for days.

one of the funniest I heard was an In-law (southeastern OK) discussing his crooknicks....... (yellow squash).

my neighborhood - all roads named after roads in France.....it gits interstin. :noway:
    we don't have streets, we have roads.

and it get's worse the further south you go, I've lived here my entire life, and even I get confused there.
    However, I have no accent at all. :bigsmile:

You spelled y'all wrong. Now who's the ignurnt one?

Day best be gitt'n going or ima fixin to open a can a woop *kitten*

We country boys don't worry too much about you city folk. We know how to navigate through the city but you can't navigate through our woods...haha.

Who you call'n city folk?!

I only assumed because your country writing seemed like it was a little overboard and stereotypical. It's cool bro, I actually dig the southern stereotypes but usually city folk will over do it.

Cheers - I'm from Florida and educated in your neck of the woods, though no one ever guesses where I'm from when I speak. To me, you can't take any of this too seriously

No offense but if you're born and raised in Florida then you're not a Southerner. :grumble:
    Sorry that's my Southern elitist side coming out. Florida is affectionately called our Northern friends to the south. haha

It's okay, you Yankees are all the same

You boys are too freakin sensitive.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

one of the funniest I heard was an In-law (southeastern OK) discussing his crooknicks....... (yellow squash).

my neighborhood - all roads named after roads in France.....it gits interstin. :noway:

and it get's worse the further south you go, I've lived here my entire life, and even I get confused there.

We country boys don't worry too much about you city folk. We know how to navigate through the city but you can't navigate through our woods...haha.

I only assumed because your country writing seemed like it was a little overboard and stereotypical. It's cool bro, I actually dig the southern stereotypes but usually city folk will over do it.

Cheers - I'm from Florida and educated in your neck of the woods, though no one ever guesses where I'm from when I speak. To me, you can't take any of this too seriously

No offense but if you're born and raised in Florida then you're not a Southerner. :grumble:
    Sorry that's my Southern elitist side coming out. Florida is affectionately called our Northern friends to the south. haha

You two are too freakin sensitive.

There's a drunken bar fight in the works. Well, that or a drunken game of corn hole
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

There's a drunken bar fight in the works. Well, that or a drunken game of corn hole

A drunken bar fight sounds good to me. I'll help you up off the floor and when the cops show up just pretend nothing happened. respect!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    There is a road in my area named Sciota Rd. It should be pronouced sy-oh-toh but everyone refers to it as sy-o-fee...........and it drives me crazy. We also have a local community named Poga and everyone calls it Pogie. But of course I live in Tennessee so that is just the tip of the iceberg for crazy pronounciations......lol:smile:
  • 20Grit
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

A drunken bar fight sounds good to me. I'll help you up off the floor and when the cops show up just pretend nothing happened. respect!

How you gonna do that with a broken beer bottle sticking out of yer side?
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

Just like a Yankee to pick up a weapon in a fight between two men. Coward much?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

Canape pronounced as canopy.

being half spanish half central american, the only correct ways to pronounce chorizo are with a "th" sound, or with an "s" sound.
    choritho
    choriso
    I asked earlier about the "cho", maybe you can help? Is it like "CHOp" or "COst"?

I think Italians would pronounce "cho" like "CHOp", which is close enough a language, but I don't speak Spanish.

neither. it's pronounced like cho, with an emphasis on the "O."
  • 20Grit
    Options
    Oklahoma.

Ya'll
    tump
    fixntah
    crick
    crooknick
    fanger
    worsh
    cern.
    Eyetalian

Just like a Yankee to pick up a weapon in a fight between two men. Coward much?

Sorry, I only saw one man.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Louisville, Ky

In KY it's pronounced "loo-uh-vuhl".
    I have no idea why, but it is.

Hurricane, Wv also drives me crazy. "Hurr-uh-cun"

When I first moved to WV from the DC suburbs I was so confused by this. For years I insisted on pronouncing it Hurricane (like the storm) and then finally gave up and decided it's their town, they can pronounce the name however they want! lol
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My Indiana pronunciations:

Monticelllo= Normally pronounced 'montichello, we pronounce montisello.

Lafayette= we say La fee-ette, normally pronounced as La Fay Ette.

Caprese= Caprice

My number ONE pet peeve of all time. When people call a REALTOR a REALITER. It's REAL-TOR. There is no I in REALTOR. DO you call your doctor a dockiter?
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Vienna sausages. In NC that's Vy-eena,
    But I shouldn't make fun. My pronunciation can be a little off sometimes too.
  • CzechEngineLight
    CzechEngineLight Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ponce de Leon Ave. pronounced in Atlanta: Paansss day Leeeeoyon
    PONCEYYYY
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Come to Maine.

Then you'll have an even better thread. I'm just getting used to all the stupid things people say. Sometimes I catch my self talking like a Mainer myself and get embarrassed. Lol.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Ok, I grew up in Delaware and still work and live nearby (just over the border in PA.) This isn't a street thing but we all pronounce water as wooder. Even I do, can't help it.

Also, there is an area in northern Delaware called Christiana but every pronounces it Christina.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yikes! It's one thing to completely mispronounce a word. But to be called ignorant for using your local accent/dialect is pretty harsh.

And I have to say that people spelling things wrong is way worse than people saying things wrong, especially with so many communications these days through email, text, internet forums, etc....

*Hope I didn't spell anything wrong here*

Yes! I get upset every time I'm arguing with someone online and the other person writes "your" when they mean "you're," I cannot continue to take their points seriously. A person who writes "there" instead of "their" just looks stupid. Many of the people who do this on Facebook went to the same school with me, so I don't understand how they don't know the differences.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Not a pronounciation, but a lot of people also say "seen" when they should be saying "saw." Example: "I seen you at the grocery store". Um, what?
    Incorrect past tenses get my goat too. "I won you" is a personal fave. Did you? Are you taking me home?
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."
    Not helped by the alternative (also correct) spelling of jewellery. I think Jewelry is US, and Jewellery is English? (Ha even my auto-correct on Safari says Jewelry is wrong).
    I grew up in Lancaster, PA.

It's pronounced lan-kiss-ter

We have one in Ohio, but we pronounce it LAIN-ca-ster... it's fun to listen to out-of-staters try to say it... :smile:

The one we have in Wisconsin is pronounced LAN-cas-ter
    The UK one is Lan-ca-ster as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Lancaster, PA.

It's pronounced lan-kiss-ter

What's funny is that I grew up near there and we didn't pronounce it that way at all. We said lan-cass-ter.

I think only the people IN Lancaster, PA, and the Hershey company pronounce it LAN-kiss-ter.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Many of the people who do this on Facebook went to the same school with me, so I don't understand how they don't know the differences.

I am constantly amazed at the difference in overall knowledge in the people who went to the same school I did. It blows my mind -- they had the same teachers and classes at the same time and some are quite competent and others, I don't know how they graduated.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options

i'm in upstate new york, i say Car-nuh-Gee!

I don't know about Carnegie but you also have an Albany, NY. Down here we have an Albany, GA and it's pronounced Al-beeny.

no its def all-bunny!
  • rml_16
    Options

i'm in upstate new york, i say Car-nuh-Gee!

I don't know about Carnegie but you also have an Albany, NY. Down here we have an Albany, GA and it's pronounced Al-beeny.

no its def all-bunny!
    I hear people talk about Albany, GA, all the time and they pronounce it the same as the one in NY -- even the local radio stations say "all-bunny."

I don't live far from there.