Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• lajoliebaleine
    lajoliebaleine Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's a whole slew of Wisconsin cities that no one can pronounce. Look up the YouTube video of Texans pronouncing Wisconsin cities and you'll see what I mean.

There are two in Wisconsin that drive me up a wall. Inability to pronounce the "th" in that / there / those / etc. "Dat der truck." Those aren't words! The other one is inserting "r's" where the don't belong. Especially when "wash" becomes "worsh."

I've lived in wisconsin my whole life." Dat der truck" absolutely. But I've never heard "worsh" for "wash". We do not add r's to our words. I know a guy from st. Louis who does that though.

My pet peeve when i see interviews on tv is AX instead of ask.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options

The thing that makes me most crazy is when people say "you disrespected me". Since when is disrespect a verb?!

Since always:

dis·re·spect [dis-ri-spekt] Show IPA
    noun
    lack of respect; discourtesy; rudeness.
    verb (used with object)
    to regard or treat without respect; regard or treat with contempt or rudeness.

Thank you, I guess. I didn't know that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There's a whole slew of Wisconsin cities that no one can pronounce. Look up the YouTube video of Texans pronouncing Wisconsin cities and you'll see what I mean.

There are two in Wisconsin that drive me up a wall. Inability to pronounce the "th" in that / there / those / etc. "Dat der truck." Those aren't words! The other one is inserting "r's" where the don't belong. Especially when "wash" becomes "worsh."

I've lived in wisconsin my whole life." Dat der truck" absolutely. But I've never heard "worsh" for "wash". We do not add r's to our words. I know a guy from st. Louis who does that though.

I would think adding the R's would be more of a southern thing.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Lancaster, PA.

It's pronounced lan-kiss-ter

Easiest way to figure out if someone is local or not.

We have one in Ohio, but we pronounce it LAIN-ca-ster... it's fun to listen to out-of-staters try to say it... :smile:
    Ohio here too and I've always said it LANK-uh-ster, which is the way all the people I know from there say it as well. I always understood, though, than the one in PA was LAN-cas-ter. lol Never been to the one in PA to see how they said it though, so I'll take that local's word for it. :wink:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I would think adding the R's would be more of a southern thing.

My friend's mother was born and raised in Colorado and she is the only one I have ever heard say "worsh", and I have lived in Wisconsin my whole life.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We don't have an accent. Ya'll do.

In college, we were discussing dialects, and our language arts prof gave us some trivia: a lot of southern euphemisms and manners of speech are Appalachian based (no surprise).

Before you start to paddle faster because you hear banjos, bear with me. The folks from Appalachia were cut off geographically from the big cities, like New York and Philadelphia and their realms of language influence and evolution. But they did keep the Queen's English, that is, the queens of England from the time of colonization to Victoria.

Older english literature can be shown to reflect language usage found in the Appalachian-influenced region. "Carry me to the store" (give me a ride to the store), "I'm fixing to do something" (I'm about to do something). "i reckon" (I think).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The thing that makes me most crazy is when people say "you disrespected me". Since when is disrespect a verb?!

Since always:

dis·re·spect [dis-ri-spekt] Show IPA
    noun
    lack of respect; discourtesy; rudeness.
    verb (used with object)
    to regard or treat without respect; regard or treat with contempt or rudeness.

Thank you, I guess. I didn't know that.

Well, you don't have to be bothered by it anymore. :wink:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

I'm looking at you Versailles, Indiana (Ver-sales)

Other tiny towns in Indiana...

Buena Vista pronounced Byunee Vistee
    Vevay pronounced Veevee
    Peru pronounced Pee Roo
    Milan pronounced My Lan
    Russiaville pronounced Rooshaville
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bangor, Maine is pronounced "Ban-gore" not "Ban-ger." Just so you know.

Oh, my god, thank you. :flowerforyou: Also, "Lewiston" does NOT have an "r" in it ("Louerstin")
  • Cudleigh
    Cudleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If I can't spell it, I ain't sayin' it. I can't spell much.

Also, c'mon Boston, learn how to say 'car keys' and 'drawer'

I struggle with "drawer" every single time.

I also chuckle a bit whenever anyone not from here says Worcester.
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In SC a lot of natives to the state use the word, "cent" to refer to multiple cents. This drives me nuts. It;s one cent and everything else is cents. Make sense!?! :noway:
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In SC a lot of natives to the state use the word, "cent" to refer to multiple cents. This drives me nuts. It;s one cent and everything else is cents.

^--this x 50
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hey, now, only some stuff we say is stupid - the rest is just wicked weird to everyone else. :wink:

ETA: I meant to quote the lady who said people in Maine say stupid stuff :ohwell:
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In SC a lot of natives to the state use the word, "cent" to refer to multiple cents. This drives me nuts. It;s one cent and everything else is cents.

^--this x 50

Wouldn't that be Fiddy Cent? That's *so* 2005! :wink:

ETA: Love your ticker!
  • Shuuma
    Options

^--this x 50

Wouldn't that be Fiddy Cent? That's *so* 2005! :wink:

ETA: Love your ticker!

Thanks! Wait...it's not 2005 anymore? Dagnabbit.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Seems to be people looks to be insulted, upset, etc. of some of the most ignorant things. Like any of this crap has anything to do with the price of milk.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Incorrect past tenses get my goat too. "I won you" is a personal fave. Did you? Are you taking me home?
    [
    I can't figure out what "I won you" is supposed to mean. I'm seriously confused. I need some context. When would a person say that?
    Maybe it means "I beat you"?
    Yep - said by someone who has beaten me. "I won you"
    I believe within the UK, to get specific, how one pronounces "pasta" depends on where one grew up. Some say p-ah-sta and some p-*kitten*-ta.
    Yep there is very much a north south divide on 'a'. E.g. g-r-a-ss vs g-r-ar-ss; b-a-th vs b-ar-th, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I'll also add:

- Pellow (Pillow)
    - Melk (Milk)
    and anything like that is very very common here.

Oh gosh...I was friends with a girl years ago who would always say pellow and melk, and it drove me NUTS. She also said overhauls (overalls).
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options

I'll also add:

- Pellow (Pillow)
    - Melk (Milk)
    and anything like that is very very common here.

Oh gosh...I was friends with a girl years ago who would always say pellow and melk, and it drove me NUTS. She also said overhauls (overalls).
    My husband says 'pilla' - I remember he tried to tell me a joke and the punchline was something to do with pillows. I just could not get the joke because pillars just made no sense!
  • Shuuma
    Options
    She also said overhauls (overalls).

For some odd reason, I call those bibbles.