WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good Morning My New Lovely Friends!

Sounds like some of you are up early and already been busy, busy, busy. My morning here at work has been busy, also. These phones ring all the time, and it's hard to get my "log in" in on here in a short time...so I may be logging all day long. :laugh: I am going to keep on keeping on with this low carb diet. I don't seem to be able to stay at or below the carb in take I'm suppose to have. I am trying to eat more vegetables and fish for my high cholesterol. I would eventually like to be able to stop taking all this medication I am on. It's amazing, at first I didn't mind taking the meds, but as I get older, I find I hate it.

As with everyone else, I was truly sorry to hear about Robin Williams. I didn't want to believe it.....had to look it up on the internet myself. Just so unbelieveable. Mental illness is nothing to fool around with and I imagine he had his ups and downs. I just hate he wound up succuming to the "downs". He had a great talent in making people laugh, I feel like I grew up with him when I first saw him on "Mork & Mindy". My prayers go to his family.

Tere: congratulations on getting married. My fiance' and I just can't seem to pick a date. Whenever we do, something else seems to pop up that provents it. But since this is the third for both of us, we aren't in a big rush. Have to get thru my oldest daughters wedding and a good friend of mine's wedding first. So I told my fiance' we could get married after my 60th birthday, which will be in July, 2015. :tongue: We at least have agreed on a theme. A Harley Davidson wedding, since we ride. :bigsmile:

JB: Mariah will be in my prayers as so will you. Cancer in any form is a scary thing.

Heather: I'm so thankful I don't have to iron anything. All of our clothes are wash and wear. I pull them out of the dryer and hang them up. Since my fiance"s clothes are abasically Harley T Shirts and Jeans, I don't have to worry about him, either. He doesn't even like his jeans hung up....guess it's a biker thing.

Syliva: HAPPY BIRTHDAY. And, my goodness.....38 is not old. You have a way to go, my friend. I feel as old as dirt most of the time. One of the many reasons I want to loose weight and get in shape! There is also my medical condition, and since diabetes runs in my family I need to do what I can to prevent it.

Gloria: I hope you don't get any more water. I've seen the damage it can do and hope you don't have to go through any of that!

To y'all and all you other lovely ladies, I wish you an awesome day! Thanks again for your help and suport! You all are the best bunch of ladies I know. :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Welcome Viola!:flowerforyou:

Tere!:drinker: yeah for you! What fun! I loved my secnd wedding. We only invited very close family, about ten people, and I bought an outfit I knew I would wear afterwards. We had the wedding at the Town Hall and then we went for lunch at a local pub. Everyone said it was the best wedding they had been to. We went back home and the youngsters carried on at anogher pub, playing pool.
    The only downside to the day was when I shut my mother's hand in the car door! :ohwell: She spent the meal with her hand wrapped in ice, but she still managed to eat 3 courses, at 84! ! ! !

Sylvia - how scary and frustrating for you. I don't think she would get the children either if it came to a fight, but that all costs lots of bucks.:grumble:

Patceoh - good wishes for your lazer surgery tomorrow!:flowerforyou:

Jb - thanks for the update!:flowerforyou:

Well, I went to yoga this morning. The teacher had managed to fit in an extra one. They are still talking about my hangover from last time! ! ! ! Before that I did 250 calories on the rower so I can eat today.:laugh: We have mushroom risotto tonight.:happy:

We went down to our local big store to see the "autumn range", by which I mean the new stuff which has come in for fall. I must say, going to a store nowdays is a very different experience from how it used to be! I used to have a great big cloud over me, look round in despair, take a couple of things to the changing room, more in hope than expectation, and emerge devasted and feeling like bursting into tears. Not to say exhausted from wriggling in and out of things.:sad:
    Now I just picked out some traing bottoms and a nice training top, a lovely bright pink sweater which has shoulders which are a bit less opaque, a cardigan with little black hearts on a white background and a skinny black vest for wearing under things. Everything fitted and looked nice and I paid by credit card as I have no money at the moment. I hope to have some income from my new tenant by the time the payment is due. I always pay it off.:tongue:
    So I am delighted that all my hard work is having its reward. I keep seeing really nice dresses and smart jackets etc, but reality it's pointless me buying smart clothes. I love them, but I have no opportunity to wear them and in reality I prefer to be comfortable. I also don't like anything that has to be dry cleaned, though I did pay for my one "best" dress to be cleaned. I am a 'smart casual' kind of girl I guess.:laugh:

Beth - hope the migraine improves. You do have your hands full with your sons.:cry:

DDIL - has invited us up to London on the 26th so I will get my dose of DGC. :love: :love: :heart: She is so good at realising how much we love to see them. Next week will be mega busy so I can't see them then.

Happy Granny and also happy step grandad! :bigsmile:

Love to all. Heather in showery Hampshire UK

PS - Gloria - it poured here yesterday and the road looked like your photo! Our patio was under water. DH was meant to go to the cricket, but, no way!:noway: We couldn't even go clothes shopping.:noway:

Katla - hope all your schedules come together OK. :flowerforyou: Like you I like to be in control so uncertainty bothers me.:flowerforyou:

Bye again!:laugh:
  • Goddesskat
    Goddesskat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Happy August for sure. I came back to MFP after being absent for over a year. I have more weight to lose than when I first started out on this program. I've Decided to take the bull by the horns and do it. I learned not to allow anyone to get between me and my well being. I have always put others before myself and that's a hard cycle to break at the age of 60. I need to come first for the first time in my life. I need to help myself so I will be around for a long time to come. Anyhow, thanks for a place like this to come and be motivated to carry on with this journey. My goal in August is to learn to drink more water as I'm not a water drinker at all. I'm working with Mindfulness. Looking at the food I am putting into my mouth and honouring it as I taste it. I bless it as it nourishes me. I'm doing this ritual for myself so that I don't take eating for granted and I am not making many bad choices of what to eat. I wish everyone the best in their personal journey through dropping the weight. :heart:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday and its a full moon. I do believe people are stranger during a full moon. Anyway makes my job so interesting somedays. I was very surpised this morning at weigh when it showed I was down 3 pounds.:happy: Do know this last week I have been really trying and doing alot of walking. DH's brother went home last evening and is doing well.

Katla--Hope you got a date for DH. I think the waiting is the hardest part. Congrates on the weight loss.:flowerforyou:

Welcome back Maryann:flowerforyou:

Meg--I think the $20.11 is a neat idea. I was also sad about Robin Williams, :sad: proves money and frame can not bring happiness. I have always enjoyed watching him.

Sylvia--I hope DS called his lawyer right away and told him what they did. It is not easy, but needs to do it for the kids.

Pat--good luck with your eye surgery. My mom had hers done last week and when I called her she told me the tv and computer were clearer and looks like she needs to wash her curtins, Made me laugh. Amazing what they can do now days.

Beth--hope son is doing better.:flowerforyou:

Well time to get some work done. They asked me if I was interested in doing a video for our wellness dept and talk about my weight loss. They submitted my name to the main CHI office and today they asked if I was picked would I be willing to fly to Denver. I have never flown and have no desire to. So guess will have to see what happens. Doing all these new things is scary. Last evening I had alittle panic attack about the motorcycle trip we are taking. I have never done anything like it or traveled with a group. Keep telling myself you can teach a dog new tricks.:heart:
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Vicki - had to come back and say - YOU CAN DO IT! You can be such an inspiration to others.:flowerforyou: Just focus on how you can help people.:flowerforyou: Remember people fly all the time, people go on road trips all the time - the only barrier is in our own minds.:flowerforyou:

I remember the time before I flew anywhere. I was 34 or so. I went to an airport and watched all the planes taking off and realised it was just a routine thing, every few minutes. That really helped me.:flowerforyou:

Remember FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY.:flowerforyou:
    We are all afraid of something, it is different for different people. I can't climb a stepladder. My DH hates the metro. I know you are the most amazing person and have come SO far already!:flowerforyou:

Take the compliment and fly to Denver. You will be so grateful to yourself.:flowerforyou:

Lots of love, Heather in flowery Hampshire UK
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Good morning, everybody. Happy to report that the Mojave desert is not so hot today and I did another 50 miles on my bike. Not that I am losing any weight. Just water weight. Whatever message my body is sending me, I do not understand it. I certainly do not believe in anything any more about calories in and calories out. With all the calories I am biking away I should be a stick.

Heather

Your description of your second wedding reminds me of my first and only wedding. The only thing I did different, in the last minute I bought a Victorian Dress with a hoop skirt. I guess I wanted to make a statement that I was doing something real old-fashioned. The dress did not survive very well in the pub and was later dyed and used as a Halloween costume.

I did not know Robin Williams from Mork and Mindy and I did not care very much for his kind of humor I saw on talk shows. It always seemed so desperate to me. Like some court jester who has to please his king, i.e. audience. I am not surprised to learn that he suffered from depression. Depression is the other big epidemic in this country after obesity. It seems so sad that somebody like him with all his money and fame could not get the right help.

He will always live in my memory with the movie “What Dreams May Come” which I saw when it came out and have since bought on tape and DVD. The movie is all about depression and I have been struggling with depression too and this movie is a piece of art showing what a person suffering from depression is going through. I also liked him in Good Will Hunting, where he easily outplayed the rest of the cast.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.Just got in from school shopping with daughter and Violet.Violet is a trip,Grandma,I really need these.
    Got my walking in.:drinker: :drinker:
    The saga of the house hunting continues.Didn`t get a call yesterday and of cousre was upset as this is about the 10th or more place we`ve looked into:explode: .So I ate some icecream later last night.She did call today,gonna show someone else the place.I don`t get it,someone`s interested,has never been late on a rent payment and good people,why keep looking?so frustrated.I call about a house tomorrow,so we`ll see.
    HUGS:mad: :noway: :grumble:
    jane
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    LOL Heather, it's a sad day when clothes shopping has to be put off due to weather:laugh:

I'm feeling a little cabin fever after being in the house for 2 days. Most of the "escape" roads around here are closed so it's just not worth it to try to go anywhere.

It's raining again but supposed to pass quickly....we all hope:frown:

I feel exactly the same about Robin Williams as, I think it was Anne. I do remember Mork & Mindy and watched it religiously. Also liked him in Good Will Hunting and as Teddy in the Night at the Museum, I'm sure it's because he was "calm". I get that depression is an illness and I get that he was an addict but I really don't get all this fuss all over Facebook today over someone no one has ever even met, never mind actually knew. The same people, I'm sure, who ignore their own friends and family on a regular basis. My rant for the day.....:ohwell:

Time to start dinner. Guess I better figure out what the heck I'm actually making.

Catch ya'll later.

xo- Gloria in water logged Metro Detroit
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on the ATM today at approx 140 steps/minute. Have a meeting to go to tomorrow so I'm planning to do a bosu DVD at home.

After exercising, stopped at Food Lion to get an onion (they had them on sale) and to check out if they have a store brand of marshamllow cream (which they don't). Then played mahjongg this afternoon. Tonight is Rummikub

Anne - my girlfriend and her hubby moved to Switzerland when their son was around 2 years old. Today he speaks Swiss German very well, as well as he speaks English. You're so right, kids are sponges and can easily pick up a foreign language. You know, in some ways I think this country is helping the Latinos not to assimilate. When we were in Europe, we were lucky to find signs in the native language and English. Books aren't written in English and their language. We went to one store and Vince asked about this train set. He was told "I don't speak English" (really? If you're in business with tourists, you need to speak at least some English). Fortunately, Vince knows enough French that he was able to get his point across. Here in American it seems like there is so much that is not only in English but also in Spanish. "press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish" So why would they need to have to learn English if we're making it so easy for them to only need Spanish?

Joyce - I don't have a problem with having classes where people are learning English. I don't feel it should be considered "English as a second language". English should be the first language, to my way of thinking. another language should be the second language.

Kim - I agree, the neighbors corrected you and your parents backed them up!

Viola - welcome. Where in FL are you? Congrats on the pounds lost, you'll get rid of the other 20

Sylvia - happy birthday to your son! I keep telling my daughter that I'm just not old enough for a 30 year old. Somehow she doesn't seem to appreciate that....lol Remember, you're only as old as you feel and if you feel 39.....

patceoh - good luck tomorrow

tere - let me add my hearty congratulations, too.

Beth - a good friend of ours gets migraines and they're quite sure his trigger is the weather.

katla - prayers of dh's surgery. Congrats at being back at goal!

goddesskat - welcome back! Good for you not allowing anyone to come between you and your health! That's the spirit, girl

Oh, yesterday I stopped at Lowes food on the way to exercise. As I was leaving, there was a shopping cart in the store with what at first looked to me like a few singles in it. I took the money and to my surprise there was over $75.00 there. So I did hand it in at the store in case anyone is looking for their money.

Took Vince for his post op checkup. His vision in the eye they did the surgery on is 20/20. He did all the pre-op stuff for the next eye. I know that he can't wait to get it done.

Vicki - flying, as I'm sure you've heard, is safer than driving.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Jb:smile: Thanks for the update on Mariah:heart: !!! Hope you enjoy the time with your mom!!!

Tere:smile: Congratulations!!!! Yes, it's YOUR day to enjoy the way you want:flowerforyou: !!!!!

Gloria:smile: Wow, took a look at the picture of your street, looks like you needed a boat to get around in:noway: . Hope the rain lets up and the streets get back to being streets!!!

Vicki:smile: What a fabulous compliment:bigsmile: !!!! I just had a conversation with my 13 yr. old granddaughter about new things being scary, told her she would miss out of a lot of fun if she let fear rule her life. I'm telling you the same thing, you will be just fine on a plane, and on your motorcycle trip! I know sometimes it's hard to just let go and relax about things, they always seem to work out in the long run though. Say your prayers and tell yourself " I can do this"!!!! Sending you good energy across cyber space my friend!!!

Heather:smile: Isn't it fun to try on clothes now:bigsmile: , I went shopping the other day and all the pants I took in the dressing room was too big:laugh: , it felt really good asking the sales lady to bring me a smaller size:bigsmile: !!!

Katla:smile: Hope the surgery date is set and doesn't conflict with the new grandchild arrival!! Congrats on being back to goal weight:flowerforyou: !!!!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: !!! Hope you'll continue to pop in and chat!

I officially have a horrible cold...yuck:sick: ! I think my granddaughter gives me a cold every August, 2 years ago she gave me pneumonia in August:noway: ....of course being young she gets over hers much faster than I do:grumble: . This one has sapped my energy too, all I want to do is sleep and the weather hasn't helped lately either, it's been raining for 5 days...5 dreary gray days:frown: . The sun did manage to peek out for about an hour this afternoon, it's supposed to be nice the rest of the week here...I'm hoping so, I need to see the sunshine:glasses: !!! I had a nice little nap this afternoon:happy: , the painters were not here, not much painting they can do in the rain:noway: . I think they will return tomorrow, and hopefully by the end of the week they will be finished:bigsmile: !!! I think I see another little peek of sunshine I really should take Noel out for a little walk, I think we both need it:tongue: !!!

Have a wonderful evening ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    or evening should I say, just got home from work, it was a long day.. but I did ok..
    I think for this week I am going to take a break from going to the gym.. until I get the heel under control, will try and do things that dont involve my foot:tongue:
    the weight will come off eventually, so I am not going to stress over a week of no gym...
    we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow and then thursday through sunday look great. DH birthday is friday,and I dont know what to get him, and then saterday there is a 50th anniversary for hubbys aunt and uncle, will be picking up my DFIL and taking him with us as it is his brother.. . well I am gonna get my jammies on and get ready for bed. I am doing well on about 7 hrs of sleep and will see how it goes...
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:happy:

For his entire working life, a dedicated and hardworking Astrophysicist tried in all earnest to find the existence of other being somewhere in the universe. After 58 years of constant effort, he finally receives a response from a planet 30 billion light years away.

“What is your planet like?” groaned the extraterrestrial from the other side of the Galaxy.

“It is 12,756 Kilometers in diameter, is 93,000,000 miles from the nearest star, our sun, has an average temperature of 72 degrees F. We breathe oxygen, live about 75 years, and have both men and women” answered the Physicist.

“Do the you get along with the women on your planet?” the extraterrestrial asked slowly.

Puzzled by the question, but not wanting to insult the female Physicists near by, he answered “Why yes. We get along quite well here.”

The extraterrestrial perked up “Can we send you ours?”

:wink: :laugh:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well here it is; terrific Tuesday! I got a fair amount of work done today so that’s always good. One of the IT people saw me and said “What are you doing here???” I said “Are you kidding? I’ve been off all summer, I’m anxious to work again, and no one is here! This is the best week of the year here!” Poor Benny Beagle; with DD#2 back in school and me at work, he was home alone all day today for the first time in months. He was a crazy, moaning mess when I got home. He ran around like crazy, jumped on our bed (where he is not allowed) and ran in circles up there, jumped up on me and told me some sort of sad tale about his day. He is so cute.

Sylvia: I too am so saddened by Robin William’s death. I hope it at least gets some people to recognize mental health issues, particularly depression.

Rita; sounds like a busy day to me!

Diane: congrats on the weight loss. Where in TX are you? I have lots of relatives there, from Houston to Waco, Killeen, Beaumont, Zavalla, Corpus Christi…

Michele: (and others) regarding speaking English….my girls were so different in that respect. DD#1 never stopped speaking Russian and to this day (8 years later) her English is bad. DD#2 refused to speak Russian almost immediately after she got here.

Kim: you are so right about getting protein in here and there pretty easily.

Mimi: you didn’t ask for advice about dementia, but I’ll tell you what got me through my mom and now my dad…humor. You can either laugh or you can cry, and I had to choose to laugh and find some things that were sweet and some that really were funny otherwise I think I would have gone insane.

Alison: thanks for the info on the rice cakes. I’ll look for them

Gloria; I saw the flooding in Detroit this morning on the news. My goodness. Sending good wishes and dry ones too!

Sylvia: how can people manipulate children like that! Awful!

Patceoh: good luck with your eye surgery!

Beth so sorry DS has a bad migraine after all this time I was hoping he had really improved. Best wishes to him

Katla: sending you and DH lots of love and prayers

Heather: congrats on how great your shopping trip was!

Vicki: congrats on your great weight loss. I totally agree that the full moon brings out the odd ones. When I worked in the ED full moon during the night shift on a Friday (especially if it fell on the 13th) was always something to behold!

Jane: have you thought about using a property management company instead of calling individual property owners? We use one for our rentals and they have their rules and guidelines and if you meet them, you get the place if you can afford it. It takes all the subjective issues totally out.

Michele: proud of you for being honest

DeeDee: hope you feel better soon! Chicken bones, chicken bones

Ok all have a good evening….I’m watching shark week and supposedly doing our taxes, but DH came home with an awful headache, so maybe tomorrow? Our CPA would roll over and die on the spot if we ever did them on time! Take care, Meg from sunny Omaha
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anne, I don't venture out at night....my walking in the dark is early in the morning in my very safe neighborhood......no traffic and rarely another person or dog walking at the same time....I'm not actually the person who started this thread....it was already here when I joined in 2009 but the woman who started it got busy and asked me if I'd take over and I've been doing it ever since.....I depend on the women on this thread as my support system so I put forth the effort to keep it going....I am so happy to see women like you join and keep coming back.

:flowerforyou: Kim, the longest journey starts with a single step......I didn't start by walking all the steps I walk now, I just started by walking "somewhere" and gradually I walked farther.

:flowerforyou: Mimi, I have a friend who eats absolutely no sugar or white flower or anything processed. She weighs and measures her food and takes her own food with her wherever she goes. She is part of a program called "Grey Sheet Anonymous"......here are their eating guidelines that I got off their website
    • Weighing and measuring three meals a day from the GreySheet as explained by a qualified GreySheet sponsor;
    • Committing those meals to a qualified GreySheet sponsor before eating them;
    • Doing this without exception, i.e., there is no situation where we do not weigh and measure;
    • Eating or drinking nothing in between those three meals except black coffee, black tea, no-calorie soft drinks, or water.
    • compared to her, my eating is a lot less disciplined. she truly treats her problems with food as a matter of life and death.

:bigsmile: Vicki, what a great compliment to you that someone would want you to share your weight loss journey. Take it one day at a time and trust that you'll have the courage to do what you need to do.

:bigsmile: I took a great walk with one of my friends today....it's not as hot as it was yesterday --- we got to walk and talk with some women from the neighborhood and their little dogs......I don't get to do that when I have Brandy or Sasha with me. We passed a house with a peach tree and a sign that said "Peaches---help yourself" so we did, and had peaches for snack with tea when we finished the walk. I'll pick some more tomorrow when I walk the dogs in the morning.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

2128132uq2eoe32sr.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, my heart breaks for you and your grandchildren. I hope and pray that they will find love and respect wherever they go and can actually be an inspiration to their Mom and Grandparents. I also hope that the courts, if required, see to judge on the behalf of the children, not the Mom. I have seen that decorative FitBit bracelet. it's pretty but it's not something you would want to wear every day and it's expensive. I would rather use that money on new clothes!

Michelle, the reason it is called English as second language is because to them it IS their second language. Their first language may be Russian, Spanish, French, etc. We encouraged them to use English as much as possible but our mission was that when they used our services in the US such as going to the doctor, store, etc that they could understand. I was going to say something else to you. My note says money but I have no idea what I was going to write and I jsut now read your note!!!! Another senior moment.

Vicki, I also was chosen by our local newspaper to write a story about my weight loss. They asked our dietary department about weight loss and I knew one of the dieaticians from working withher on my unit a lot. So she gave her my name. They followed me for about 6 months, took pictures of my progress. When I finally met my goal they wanted to do a complete makeover pictorial for the paper. Only they didn't let me in on this and I had just gotten my hair cut, real short! But I went to this hair dresser and she changed my style a little bit, then they took me to a dress shop and put me in a fancy outfit and had my make up done and then on to the studio for a lot of pictures. I didn't get to keep the dress or shoes though. It was fun and a lot of people recognized me on the street and in the hospital. Even my patients recognized me.

We had our monthly Sunday School class lunch today. We usually go to some ones house and we just bring our own sandwich and the lady provides the rest. But we went out today to a family owned Mom and Pop type place to eat. We used to go there a lot when our girls lived at home and I remember what things like the breaded salmon patties, ham and cheese melts, home made yeast rolls and al those other goodies taste. So I got a chef salad. The ham and turkey was deli type and cut up in tiny pieces and didn't look there was a lot. It was mostly lettuce and tomatoes. It did have an egg. I had them leave off the cheese and croutons and had a rasberry vinagarette dressing, low fat. So I behaved myself and had a good time.

Joyce, Indiana
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Diane in Texas

I was trying to look into your diary to find out what you are doing right. I usually am pretty good about dropping weight if I put my mind to it, but this time I am having problems and I am always willing to try something new. Not that I have not tried everything I can think of.....
    Do you know that Traders Joe belongs to the same company as Aldi?

Joyce in Indiana

I have never seen the good of learning German for the rest of the world. There are too few people who speak German. It is of course a little bit different in Europe. But in Europe nearly everybody speaks several languages. The countries are so close together and many people work or have a second home in another country.
    Of course there were quite a lot of German immigrants at one time. I remember when I visited some Amish villages that their language reminded me very much of the dialect which was spoken in Southern Germany. And Texas has a lot of towns founded by Germans. I even read somewhere that at one point German nearly became the official language , which brings me to

Michele

As an immigrant myself , I have to say I am pretty frustrated about the preferential treatment all Spanish speakers in this country get. In Germany we had a lot of guest workers, first from Italy, later from Turkey and now I understand from many former communist countries. There were always programs that the guest workers would learn the language. But the idea was that they would work for some years in Germany and then go back. And that worked this way in many cases. For example in Southern Italy, where my parents had their vacation home, many former guest workers had saved enough money in Germany to buy a house or a business in Southern Italy when they returned. It helped both economies.

Does your friend like living in Switzerland? Where does she live? When the little child learned Swiss German he will not be understood by Germans. I remember my father who grew up in Northern Germany never understood the dialect of the Swiss or the Germans living there. I of course grew up there and I can understand it, but as I have not spoken Swiss German in a long time, I do not speak it very well anymore.

Kim from N.California

Actually I only bike. I hate running. I love walking or hiking, but it is just too hot here. On the bike there is at least a little bit of a breeze. When you love to do something it is easy.

After all was said and done I realized that this dog lady was in complete denial. She already had been cited twice because her dogs were biting and when they bit me, she pretended it was not happening. Me on the other side I was tired from a long bike ride and could not understand why she would not even call her dogs back, risking that I would be bitten again. And then tell me that her dogs did not bite because she had grandchildren , and that my bite wound came from my bike was so ridiculous .

Of course it happened on a Saturday and the doctor's offices were closed. I went to an emergency room where the wait was hours. So I went home and cleaned it myself and hoped for the best.

Since then I realize that there are plenty of dog owners who let their dogs off the leash. And if I tell them to put them on a leash, they always tell me that their dogs do not bite. Yeah, I am going to believe that now. I also find that those dog owners are always those who have no control over their dogs. I have to get off that topic, it still makes me angry.

Mimi

I think your mother does not realize that our food has changed so much in the last years. Of course portion control is the right thing to do. But the problem - at least in my humble opinion -- is that our food has been tampered with too much and it is addictive.

I can now not control myself around certain food. And I never had that problem before . Never. And if you read through the posts you find so many people who have the same problem.

Anne in the very hot Mojave Desert
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Woke to NO frost thsi morning. Decided on Jeannette jenkins Cardio Kick-boxing (LOVE that DVD), Tabata for upper body and walk the dog.
    We sold my bike last year as far too many hills around where we live in Tassie. Lots of flattish bike paths in Victoria where we lived 1978 to 2005

Lesley in Tasmania
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle I just remembered what I was going to say about money! You mentioned you found some money and turned it in. That's great but I hope you left your name with them just in case the owner doesn't claim it. One time my husband and best buddy were out doing their Karaoke thing and my husband had to go to the BR. Well they stopped at a convenience mart. Men do that kind of thing, I don't think women do much. Anyway the friend found a bunch of money in his stall. So when they got in the car they started counting it. Well they were still counting at $3,000 and were so nervous. They were mainly nervous because they realized it was probably drug money and the bathroom at Moto Mart was the drop. Anyway, it was $10,000!!!! They thought about just keeping it but because of the amount they knew it needed to go to the police and be fingerprinted. After the required length of time his buddy, after really arguing with the police, was able to get it all back. I man, no drug dealer is going to got o the police and say his money was stolen out of Moto Mart. So because it was my husband who had to go to the bathroom, Alan split the money with Charlie plus took us out for a very expensive dinner.

Joyce, Indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It's a hot potato, but...

when I immigrated to Canada in 1970, first requirement/offer was to take English. And why not. Speak the language of the country you have chosen to live in. (I am sure I am getting old, and life has passed me by:bigsmile: ) I chose to move from Holland (Dutch language) to Canada (English language [or French if you were moving to Quebec]). So...

In addition, English is a world language. A really really good language to learn. Dutch, not so much. In school, us Dutchies learned English, French and German. Truly, my French and German are awfully rusty, if not entirely departed.

I found money once, $90. On the sidewalk. I took it to the police station and left my name and telephone number. They called me after 90 days and I was $90 richer. Woohoo. Since we were poor with 4 kids, in those days that was a lot of money, I was a happy camper.

Sylvia...knowing your story means I have a heart full of compassion and empathy. My story is similar. I wish it were not so.

DeeDee...getting that cold is plain wrong! Oh, but I am drinking my water.

Vicki...go fly! you can do it.

Tere...wedding bells? Congratulations!! DH and I have been married...oh...wait...going on 44 years.

Heartbroken about Robin Williams. Mental illness sucks.

I started today with a smoothie and ending with meatballs and green beans from the garden. Regular sandwich for lunch. Some nuts and cherries thrown in for good measure in between. I was at the doctor's yesterday. It seems the nasty cough has coughed its last. Good riddance, I say. If the cough starts again during this week, I know it will be the air quality at work!! And thus I would raise a stink. I will be going for blood tests in the near future. Hopefully this is the last of the "crud".

See you all tomorrow
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC (where it is supposed to rain tonight, finally)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - I love when the size I think will fit me turns out to be too big on me! Feel better fast -- sending virtual chicken soup

When I left for Rummikub tonight, it was bone dry by my house. As I was drving there, it was pouring!. when I left, it was bone dry but on the way home there were places in the road where it was raining so hard that I couldn't see the road!

Meg - MIL had dementia. I got really good at the "oh, is that so.." and "tell me more about it" phrases. I just couldn't keep that amount of money. Alls I could think of was "if it was me, how would I want to be treated" and I knew that I'd want the money returned to the store. Now will the person come back, even know that that's where they lost it? I don't know. If they don't, will the store keep the money (they didn't take my name or anything)? I don't know. I would HOPE that they'd donate the money to charity if it isn't claimed

barbie - that was so nice of the person to be giving away the peaches. Bet they were really good, too

Joyce - wow! to have an article done on your weight loss journey. You must be so proud! You did well at that place where you went out to eat. Unfortunately, I didn't leave my name when I turned in the money, it honestly didn't even occur to me. I would expect someone to be honest, to turn it in. I just may go back to the store and explain that in case the person wants to get in touch with me, I'd make it possible.

Anne - my girlfriend has lived in Switzerland for about 20 years. They just came over here for a week and she said to me that she likes it, but it doesn't and probably never will feel like "home" They live in Brugg . You're so right when you say that our food has been tampered with so much. The sad part , at least to me, is that it seems that people prefer the food that has been tampered with to fresh foods (veges, fruits). Tonight this lady made a rhubarb ginger crisp. I admit that I had a little just to be nice. she felt it wasn't as sweet as it should have been, to me it was plenty sweet enough. I only took a little.

Lesley - I love reading about your climate and area. While we're sweating here, you are dealing with frost. How neat to read about! I know, you'll be able to get back when I'm talking about how cold it is and you're concerned about the heat.

Everyone have a great evening.

Michele in NC