Dumped for being 'TOO FAT" :(

Options
Hi everybody. Im new to this site, just joined 2 days ago but I need some support or advice. Last weekend my boyfriend told me that I was too fat to go out with him. He doesn't find me attractive and he likes the old me who was about 80 lbs thinner. I gained weight because I had a horseback riding accident that cause two of my discs to herniate. I need to surgery and during the recovery I could do a lot so I packed on some weight. I realized I need to loose it awhile ago and was starting to workout and eat better. Now, since he dumped me I wish I could just lose it all in one week and he would want me back. I know that's impossible. How can someone dump you just because you gained a little weight? We have struggles and I never dumped him when he was a bit chubbier once. Im just so hurt. I think I have cried about 5 lbs of water out. I feel so ugly and horrible right now. I am going to do whatever it takes to loose this weight. I know that I have to loose it for myself but I cant help but think he would like me again if I was back to were I was about a year and a half ago. Im also 35 years old and I feel like I won't meet anyone else. I really thought we would end up together. Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom for me? My ex deleted me of his facebook and told me via text that it was a good idea we talk to each other anymore. He wish me the best of luck. I just feel horrible...

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lose the weight for yourself. but i wouldnt fault him for breaking up with you because you werent husband and wife and he has no requirements to stick with you if he no longer finds you attractive. he's not the one for you and it's better to find out sooner rather than later. i also dont think it's fair to look down on someone because they arent the one for you, which is what i assume most of the responses will be..... of course we dont know the full story (ie both sides) so i cant really comment on deleting you from FB/telling you via text to not contact him anymore.

just move on, get back to being healthy. with that said, if he tries to get back with you once you lose the weight then i wouldnt take him back :laugh:

good luck with your weight loss goals and remember that with time, things heal as long as we let them heal and not pick at the wounds :flowerforyou:
  • LastPyro
    LastPyro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    seems like he just needed a reason. that's sad - for him.
    someone will step into your life that loves you no matter what size/weight you are .. just for who you are.
    be strong and hang in there.

(also: maybe read one or another book by alan cohen :) )
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like love, but I don't know the whole story. Did he nag you to do something and you didn't, or took too long?
    Lose weight the healthy way, and see how you feel about him then.
    My knee-jerk reaction is: lose the weight, take him back, then cruelly dump him, the way he dumped you.
    Not good advice, though.
  • kewwy1
    kewwy1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this guy is an arsehole. You want to lose weight for yourself, not for him!

By taking care of yourself you'll realise your own self worth and then you will realise that you don't need a guy like that :)
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow is killing him an opion?? Just kidding...kind of. But seriously you deserve WAY better. Lose the weight for yourself and forget that guy ♥
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    When you love someone you love them uncontitionally. People will sometimes lose and gain weight through their lives and if you get pregnant are you going to be ok wondering if he can't stand the look of you? Get someone that truly love you 100%. He's not worth your time.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lucky escape. If he is so shallow that a bit of extra weight has made him run away then it obviously wasn't true love on his part. Better to find out now, have a little cry, dust yourself off, pick yourself off and get on with the rest of your life. Someone will come into it who will be there for you through thick and thin ('scuse the pun :laugh: ). Hugs to you, your heart will mend in time, I promise!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    oh honey. he did you a favor. you are a beautiful woman. if he truly loved you then he would be proud of you on his arm no matter how many or less curves you have. It took me a divorce and metting my second husband to truly know how it is to be treated and appreciated. I have been up and down in my weight in the ten years we been together and he has never treated me any different. Even now I look back at my fat pictures, I think i look so bad but think how he still loves me and adores me the same exact way now. I don't say this to make you feel even sadder but to give you hope that there are real men out there that will love you for you no matter what. lose the weight for yourself. lose the weight to get your health back in control. NEVER lose it for anyone else. It wont work. I am so happy I have lost weight. The reason i am so happy is finally after 37 years of doubting myself and going up and down with my weight i finally like myself and what i see and how i feel. Do it for that feeling. I will tell you what, I love my husband and i feel truly loved by him but I can honestly say that i love myself now more than i ever did in my entire life so if he were to leave me today I would still be okay because i have myself. I couldn't have said that a year ago. I wish that for you too. :flowerforyou:
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    :( I can imagine how much you are hurting right now. And that is allowed. Yes we all agree this guy was a (insert your expletive of choice). But we aren't the ones going through your break up, your emotions are rightly raw at the moment.

I agree with everyone saying lose weight for you not to try to win him back, but hey if that's what gives you the motivation to take that first step great. With time I'm convinced you will see what we can all see and then you will be on our side of the fence, doing this for you. You will come to see that you don't need (or even want) him.

Your words: Why I want to get in shape
    So I can walk up a set of stairs without sweating and being out of breath. I also want to be able to ride my horse and glide over jumps just like we used too. I also want to feel attractive and have my confidence back. I also want to be able to wear a bikini something I have never been able too do even when I wasn't so big.

Focus on these, not on him. Take care of yourself. Put you first.
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I repeat what most people here have said. Continue your journey to lose weight, but do it for yourself and only yourself! The fact of a matter is he doesn't deserve you and he never did. And you will meet someone who will love you for you and not your weight.

Wish you all the best and keep believing!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm just back to reinforce the fact you are one heck of a gorgeous woman. Honestly.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Partners being together through thick and thin is the core of a healthy relationship.
    I'm not wanting to come over as being judgemental, but unless there are other underlying factors, it does seem like your partner placed more value on a superficial level.
    If that is the case, as hard as it might be to understand and accept right now, you've been done a favour as you are actually better off without someone like that, and rather this comes out now then later when there might be joint commitments or even kids along to make things a lot more difficult.

It is great that you want to lose weight and look at a healthier lifestyle, but do it for the right reasons, for YOUR own benefit, and not to try make yourself fit into his expected mold..
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm..... if he left you for something like that... it is not at all that you were meant to be together.

imagine a life with someone who just takes off when things get tough. and if he DID come back after you lost weight... wouldnt you always worry about what the next excuse would be?

i think men have a right to be or not bve attracted to whatever kind of women they want. and if he wasnt that his thing...i dont begrudge him his preferences.

but you are not doing yourself any favors by wishing you could be with someone who has conditions placed on you.

it would be a pretty fearful life, i imagine.

(ETA i am surprised i commented on a relationship thread like this... i was just struck by the comment you made about being meant to be with him... )
  • VeryChic
    VeryChic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From your message, it seems like you have been together for quite some time. So he only just told you now that he does not find you attractive any more? That does not make any sense. He either used your weight as an excuse to leave or he must have discussed it with you before. Unlike the other people who commented, I am sorry but I don't think it's all his fault. 80 lbs is not just a little bit of weight. At least this has been a wake up call for you to finally lose the weight. Good luck!