Do large Breasts affect Self-Esteem?

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    So many women in correctly sized bras... *wipes happy tear*
    Hmm, the awful thing is that I started out by thinking I'm 90C whatever that is in US sizes, then got measured, and learned that in a specific brand in a particular model I'm 80F. Their other models would have me measured very differently. And - here's the fun part - another brand has the same boobs in a totally different size ratio. I hate bra developers.

This this this this this!! We hear so much about being measured correctly. By all means use this as a start but the only true way is to try a bra on - see if it fits right. If it doesn't try another size (band too big/too tight, cups too small/too big etc).
    http://images.figleaves.com/uk/images/eng-gbr/navigation/fit_book/bra_fit_book.pdf

(My last bra I bought was a 32GG UK sizing - but I don't think it'll be long before it is too roomy. I'm probably more of a 32G/30GG at the moment depending on the brand.)
    Another figleaves user here, they are too expensive in the store.

The challenge in my case isn't big boobs but the cup wire length, which has to be open enough to support the whole breast. Apparently I have wide breasts... So far I've found two models that fit and I just don't have it in me to go looking for new models (can't stand shopping for clothes), so I've purchased the same type over and over in different colours. Luckily it is a hot enough lacey number not to feel frumpy or boring.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm naive...but I think it is just very extreme cases, generally, that get the kind of kneejerk reaction OP seems to be talking about...like a petite and/or slender figure with DD or above, where people are staring and jealous/catty ladies instantly whispering "Do you think those are even REAL!?" (rude)

When you're 5'8" and 250+ lb, DD cups just fit your body and no one pays much attention unless you dress to show them off or expose them. It's kind of like being 5'3" 135 lb with a full B cup. Big, sure - but not BIG.

I am finding though, now that I wear a size 10/12 it is a bit trickier to dress myself. Some dresses my size just don't have the space in them for DD chests so I have to be careful or risk unwanted exposure, same with scoop necklines since I am pretty active and don't want to show the world my bra or cleavage on a regular basis.

I've never felt like I was getting unwanted attention or judgment based on my chest though. Maybe because I am just a fairly dorky kind of woman...fine by me. I feel plenty attractive and plenty sexy to my mate, which is what counts!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    So many women in correctly sized bras... *wipes happy tear*
    Hmm, the awful thing is that I started out by thinking I'm 90C whatever that is in US sizes, then got measured, and learned that in a specific brand in a particular model I'm 80F. Their other models would have me measured very differently. And - here's the fun part - another brand has the same boobs in a totally different size ratio. I hate bra developers.

This this this this this!! We hear so much about being measured correctly. By all means use this as a start but the only true way is to try a bra on - see if it fits right. If it doesn't try another size (band too big/too tight, cups too small/too big etc).
    http://images.figleaves.com/uk/images/eng-gbr/navigation/fit_book/bra_fit_book.pdf

(My last bra I bought was a 32GG UK sizing - but I don't think it'll be long before it is too roomy. I'm probably more of a 32G/30GG at the moment depending on the brand.)

Oh absolutely, sizing changes between brands (and definitely between US to UK to various Euro or Japanese brands), but there's far too many women still stuffing themselves into 36Bs when they should be 32FFs, etc., so it's a good method to at least get properly fitted/measure yourself and go from there!

I'm in the same boat as you, sort of. My 30E-FF bras all still fit-ish... but on the last hooks. Lost 1" off my bust, but also 1" off my underbust. Guilty of being in the wrong bra right now :sad:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I don't find guys are that bad for looking (some will but most are pretty considerate). And small boobs get looked at too so... I think it has more to to with how revealing the woman's top is (tight, low, sparkly, transparent) which is entirely her choice and she therefore controls her own self esteem.
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with my big boobs. I always joke that I wouldnt know how to walk if I didnt have them. I like curves.

BUT
    Its very hard to find shirts/dresses
    I can wear the same bathing suit as my bff that is a size C at the waterpark but I get the horrible looks like I asked God to give me FF boobs
    I did have back problems and got a reduction and got pregnant 8 months later and they grew back. But back problems are gone

But there a part of me and Im ok with it :smile:
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I had some side moob action along with regular moobs but for many years I thought the side moobs were the just extra skin/muscle since I use to do a lot of lat pull downs years ago. I guess I was refusing to accept reality. Not until I was a few weeks into my current journey I would flick the side moob and see it jiggle and realized it is fat.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Thought of something else...unless duct tape is involved, I can not take a picture of my bare back without some sort of side boob peeking out. I think I have a really nice back too! :sad:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Thought of something else...unless duct tape is involved, I can not take a picture of my bare back without some sort of side boob peeking out. I think I have a really nice back too! :sad:

Let it stick out sister! Be proud of what you've got. :drinker: :laugh:
  • Tinyfigure
    Tinyfigure Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have large breasts. Sometimes I like myself, sometimes I can't stand myself. But I can never cover up and just pretend they don't exist.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have mine, my hips would be too out of proportion for my body. With the weight loss, I am happy to have lost some of my bewbs....they seem to shrink in relation to hips and waist so far....

At my smallest weight I am still a D cup or slightly larger so to me those are mine when small. It would be nice for button ups to not open between buttons, or for a button up to frame cleavage in a way that makes it so people look me in the eye without needing to be directed away from them.

I can go braless in some outfits but it would be nice to get away with some outfits that I just can't pull off.

and running :grumble: arms must be crossed or very uncomfortable and in a tank top I have managed to flash a little old man while running across a parking lot (tank had built in bra, didn't matter) :noway:

As for self esteem, a bigger me in general makes me unhappy but I don't pay much mind to my boobs. Except when going out, in the right outfit those things turn heads. So my confidence is based on much more than my boobs.

Eta:
    Halter dresses work best for mine in summer dresses
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The only time I have a problem with it is when I have to dress professionally.

I'm 5'3" and have a full 34D, no "its almost a little big" here..(Which FYI means my boobs are about eye level with anybody sitting down.) Wearing any shirt that is close to fitted is considered unprofessional, and button downs are also out because they gap unless I safety pin in between every boob button.
    Makes me a little uncomfortable because I am constantly meeting new people that I have to receive respect from (I audit their hospitals). And it tends to make me dress frumpier then I otherwise would.

But, I love my boobs.... as long as I can cover them in a (tight on the boobs) t-shirt.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what OP's motivation was for creating this topic, but I'm glad to see how the conversation is going!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My biggest complaint at the moment is that I can't buy tops that fit my body AND my boobs at the same time. If it fits my mid-section, it's too tight on my boobs...if it fits my boobs, it's too large on my mid-section.

Pain in the *kitten*.

^^^ I think this is one that upsets me the most about my DD's-- not being able to just simply buy fitting clothes makes shopping 10x harder. Prom dress shopping was the absolute worse! My latest upset was buying a bikini from Old Navy just 3 weeks ago-- the bottoms fit but I didn't have time to try on the top so I bought a XL-- there still wasn't enough fabric to cover appropriately.

I've learned to shield my eyes when the bikinis come out at Target. Year after year I'd try on the biggest size they carried and it was like putting a bandaid on a basketball. Just not enough coverage.

http://www.barenecessities.com has swimsuits based on bra sizing. Currently up to 70% off. That's where I get mine; far better quality than target or old navy and offer actual support.

*does happy dance* Thank you! I now have two new bras and a new swimsuit on the way. I've been wearing the same bras since last summer, they were still working, sort of..... but I was dreading the expense of replacing them with trimmer versions.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what OP's motivation was for creating this topic, but I'm glad to see how the conversation is going!

Hell, even as a guy, I've learned enough to know that I need to hug my wife as soon as I get home. :drinker:
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    No, my self esteem shot sky high when i seen large breast'. I think it's myself esteem.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Hell, even as a guy, I've learned enough to know that I need to hug my wife as soon as I get home. :drinker:

Admit it, this is only so that you can squish the boobies.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was getting self esteem mixed up with testosterone.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have big boobs, very big boobs lol, and I never let it affect my self-esteem. It only affects you if you let it.
  • jendayih
    jendayih Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, more or less sometimes. Before I had my first baby boy, my breasts were fairly large, but nice and round. Then towards the end of my pregnancy they started sagging (and getting bigger. I went from a 32 DD to an 34 G) and not getting so nice and round. Now that I'm nursing they've completely just...flopped. I mean, they don't sag to my belly button or anything, but they are definitely not as nice and supple as they used to be. I love being able to breastfeed my little guy, but somedays I just want to cry because my boobs have started going south! I don't know why, the only person who sees them are my husband and my 7 month old haha. Ugh....the things that happen to your body after having children!
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Take it for granted? :laugh: