Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - December Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Hey Kris - Welcome to the group! Although we are already a well established group of friends on MFP working towards our goals and supportive one another, it's great to have fresh meat in the crowd :wink: I hope you kick it for a while with us! Best of luck and keep us updated - but be fore-warned, this thread REALLY moves.

Liz - I knew you couldn't stay away!!! :laugh: Love your cooking challenges and always try to think of something new to post for ya. You're keeping me on point, cooking new things entirely and testing out different flavours and cuisines. So thanks!

keysr - Great goals! Cooking at home is so much fun and a really great way to watch what you consume and track your calories. Definitely has helped me lose that last 15lbs or so :happy:

Roo - I LOVE your goals and I'm happy to see you back! Glad to hear the hubby is on board with you - It must make a world of difference! You have inspired my goals a little as well :smile: Thanks!

KVR - Those calisthenics are going to be rough - Good luck!! :drinker:

Aly, Meredith, Taylor, Tara, Melissa and everyone else - So happy to start a new month with you guys too! Post your results and goals when you get time and start this month off right! :drinker:

AFM-
    meagalayne- To reach 130lbs, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge at my own pace, and run my 8k (Nov 13) under 50 mins
    I did not quite reach my 130lbs goal, but I got 3.6lbs closer to it and I managed to hit my other two NS targets so I am very pleased! I finished both weeks of the challenge (twice) and I raced the 5 miles in 49:47.4 :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: A hugely successful month for me! Now, if only I can make December a month to remember, as well...

DECEMBER CHALLENGE:
    km323 - Reach 185lbs, run 4x per week, get to sleep before 2am each night, avoid french fries and log every day
    kvr414- Lose another 10 lbs. drink 10 cups of water a day, do a 3x to 5x a day routine of situps, pushups, lunges til fatigue.
    roobean33 - Reach 128lbs, drink more H20 daily, try new healthy recipes, avoid most of the holiday treats
    inskydiamonds - Continue my biweekly meal challenges, because they force me to reach outside the box for things to eat for dinner. (December 1-5: Suggestions from MFP friends / December 6-19: Low-Cal Desserts / December 20-31: Meals Under $10). Lose 4 pounds, bringing me to 183.
    Keysr-Cook for myself and become more active outside with fun winter sports
    krishatherley - drop another 3-4 lbs
    wardiemelissa-maintain current weight of 125 lbs.; continue exercise regimine of running 2-3 times a week (with one long run between 7-8 miles), strength training (30 day Shred), and stretching (yoga); plan healthy dinners for the week; and begin to tone those trouble zones (No More Trouble Zones)
    SkierElle: Reach 175 lbs, still limit sweets but allow myself a few if they fit w/in calories, when I'm home for Xmas try to involve family in fun exercise!
    meagalayne - Reach 130lb by 12/11/10 and maintain to 01/01/11, allow myself one cheat meal a week without guilt, try TWO new healthy recipes per week, and maintain my 3 x run/3 x strength per week workout regimen throughout the holidays - NO EXCUSES!

In other news, I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning for this thread... Wow does it make a difference when you aren't on your normal WI day. I have decided not to bother counting it since it's not my normal WI day and I know it will go down by tomorrow. Likely just water weight retention from yesterday's BOSS workout. Up 1.5lbs from Monday. Lame!
    -Meag :heart:
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    DECEMBER CHALLENGE:
    km323 - Reach 185lbs, run 4x per week, get to sleep before 2am each night, avoid french fries and log every day
    kvr414- Lose another 10 lbs. drink 10 cups of water a day, do a 3x to 5x a day routine of situps, pushups, lunges til fatigue.
    roobean33 - Reach 128lbs, drink more H20 daily, try new healthy recipes, avoid most of the holiday treats
    inskydiamonds - Continue my biweekly meal challenges, because they force me to reach outside the box for things to eat for dinner. (December 1-5: Suggestions from MFP friends / December 6-19: Low-Cal Desserts / December 20-31: Meals Under $10). Lose 4 pounds, bringing me to 183.
    wardiemelissa-maintain current weight of 125 lbs.; continue exercise regimine of running 2-3 times a week (with one long run between 7-8 miles), strength training (30 day Shred), and stretching (yoga); plan healthy dinners for the week; and begin to tone those trouble zones (No More Trouble Zones)
    SkierElle: Reach 175 lbs, still limit sweets but allow myself a few if they fit w/in calories, when I'm home for Xmas try to involve family in fun exercise!
    meagalayne - Reach 130lb by 12/11/10 and maintain to 01/01/11, allow myself one cheat meal a week without guilt, try TWO new healthy recipes per week, and maintain my 3 x run/3 x strength per week workout regimen throughout the holidays - NO EXCUSES!
    Lauratx22-I want to lose 7 pds! trying to get to 173 by New Years!
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My November Goals were to:

Loose 3 lbs by Thanksgiving, 5 lbs in total
    Workout 3x a week 60-90 minutes
    Be true to food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!

Didn't reach my full 5 lbs, but what I didn't realize until I went to look at my November goals again is that I did drop 4.2 lbs! That means I would have been 4 lbs heavier if I had not been a part of this! I'd say that is a win win situation and I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Didn't get to workout as often as I had liked because of evil lingering colds, but I also think it 60-90 minutes was kind of intimidating to me. Sometimes I felt like if I didn't get 60 minutes in it just wasn't worth it which is soooo not true!! Will be adjusting that for December goals.

Lastly I did AWESOME on my last goal. I was diligent about tracking my food and I wound up only missing 2-3 days and getting right back on the next day!! Today is 30 days faithfully on MFP - have logged in every single day!! That is the longest I have ever stuck with something food/exercise related... AND plotted my food even when it was embarrassing... full disclosure.

December Goals:

Get from 167.4 to 162 (that was what i weighed at my wedding!!)
    Workout at least 3x a week for approx 30 min each or more
    Carry a water bottle around with me and drink 8-10 cups of water per day
    Here it is again- Be true to my food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!

I will also be keeping my Monday weigh-in. Meag- you kind of reminded me how your body can retain water after working out and I normally get a rest day on Sunday, so I think that my weigh-ins are more consistent on Monday when my body has had some time to rest.

rai8759 - Go from 167.4 to 162 by 1/3/11 (1.08 lbs/week); Carry a water bottle around with me and drink 8-10 cups of water per day; Be true to my food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Rai - 30-45 mins of exercise 3-4 times a week is definitely more than enough, especially if you tie that in with walks, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and any other small steps you take to increase your movement throughout the day! Your goals are awesome and I love that you log no matter what - I think that's crucial to success in weight loss. You have to be accountable. And, btw - your diary is NEVER embarrassing! haha So don't you worry :tongue:

WI's on Monday sound like a good plan to me! Especially since that's when I WI as well :laugh: You'll keep me on track!
    Meag :heart:
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    this thread looks awesome! I'd love to join... so I'm going to try to come up with my goals today :)
  • tai_88
    tai_88 Posts: 23
    Options
    November recap I will be doing a review and improve session:
    1- Well I know that I didn’t lose my 5 lbs. Honestly I worked til 8:30 last night (12 hour day:grumble: ) and didn’t manage to check my weight. Though not really sure I want to know. So this month I’m concentrating on measuring myself in an effort to forget about the scale.

2 - I met my “no eating candy” goal which is awesome:drinker: . Honestly I don’t even think about it now. So I’m going to continue that trend this month plus adding no soda. Need to kick the habit. But since every christmas I get a chocolate orange from Santa I am allowing myself on candy bar per week (if needed-for the holidays). Going to continue my running and get to the point where I can run my 2 miles continuously and get my time under 18:30.

3- I hoping that this month will be more motivating than last month. It was really a rollercoaster ride of good and bad days and in the end no seeing any results. So now I’m concentrating on having more good days:bigsmile: ! So I will be logging everything I eat.- especially when I don’t want to. :embarassed:

Here’s to a new month! Cheers!:drinker:

DECEMBER GOALS
    rai8759 - Go from 167.4 to 162 by 1/3/11 (1.08 lbs/week); Carry a water bottle around with me and drink 8-10 cups of water per day; Be true to my food diary even if i miss a day get right back into it the next day!!
    Tai_88 – continue my no candy streak (limit of one piece of candy per week); stop drinking soda for the month; at least 3 workouts per week; get my 2 mile time under 18:30; logging everyday – especially when I don’t want to.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My goals for November:
    - Maintain (120-125 range) - LOST 1 pound @ 121 now!
    - No scale until December 1st - DONE!
    - 2 days a week with strength/body weight training - DONE!
    - Run 3-4x a week - 3/4 DONE...had to cut back down to darkness/safety :(
    - Run my 10K in 56 minutes or under (be happy with 59:01 or under though!) - SMOKED IT! 53:41!!

I'm really pleased with how November went. It is harder to maintain than it is to lose. My experiment of not weighing for a month was good...as was my no logging for 2 weeks. I've been majorly listening to my body and trying not to eat just because I have calories left...especially on longer run/more intense workout days. At one point, I was trying to eat so much that I was making myself sick because I was already full. I'm bummed about cutting back on running, but it's just not safe and I have no access to a gym (though I hate the dreadmill)...I might try and run on it once I sort out my living/job situation.

I'll be back with my December goals. Going to have to be creative as I only have 1 race this month. Hmmm.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS THREAD AND READY TO KICK A IN MY TWENTIES AND MOTIVATE ONE ANOTHER!! My current weight is 305lbs

DECEMBER GOALS
    Tai_88 – continue my no candy streak (limit of one piece of candy per week); stop drinking soda for the month; at least 3 workouts per week; get my 2 mile time under 18:30; logging everyday – especially when I don’t want to.
    Hazeldiva1913---drink at least 12 cups of water a day, loose 10 lbs by christmas. Im at 299 need to be at 289 on xmas day...start incorporating more strength training...no eating out more than once a week!!!
  • chawntamarie
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm officially new to the group but I've been trying to follow the group since mid-November. It was difficult to stay up to date - so many posts! :) My personal goal for November was be at 145 by Thanksgiving and I met that goal 11/22. My current weight is 144. Here is the December List. Good luck everyone! I'm looking forward to being inspired by all of you!

DECEMBER GOALS
    Hazeldiva1913---drink at least 12 cups of water a day, loose 10 lbs by christmas. Im at 299 need to be at 289 on xmas day...start incorporating more strength training...no eating out more than once a week!!!
    chawntamarie - Reach 140lbs by Christmas (4 lb. loss), Workout 5 times/week and cook my own meals 2-3 times per week.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    I LOVE how popular this thread has gotten. So great to have been a part of it this past. You all continue to motivate me and inspire me each and every day and I love you all for that.

November goals:
    1. Lose 4 lbs bringing me to 198. Met it last week. Felt really good to get that accomplished! Would love to have lost more but my motto since I joined has been one lb a week. I just want to keep doing it slow and steady.
    2. Full body lifting routine 2x week and spinning 2x a week- totally did not happen. Got sick in the beginning of the month and just turned in to a slippery slope of bad habits

So I am going to modify a bit for this month. 5 Fridays this month and that is my weigh-in day so my goal is to lose 5lbs this month. Definitely want to get that two days of full body lifting in. And by the end of the month I would like to have a set running/walking routine in place. LOVED the idea of trying healthy recipes every week so I am going to jump in on that as well.

Welcome to everyone who is joining us. This is a great thread! Funny how the MFP world gets smaller and smaller every day. Pretty cool that I already know a bunch of you that just joined.

Good luck all- and lets kick some *kitten*!!!
    Cait
    chawntamarie - Reach 140lbs by Christmas (4 lb. loss), Workout 5 times/week and cook my own meals 2-3 times per week.
    finncmh- lose 5lbs bringing me to 193 by New Years eve, strength training 2x's a week, develop a solid running/walking routine, try one new healthy meal a week!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Liz - I knew you couldn't stay away!!! :laugh: Love your cooking challenges and always try to think of something new to post for ya. You're keeping me on point, cooking new things entirely and testing out different flavours and cuisines. So thanks!

ohh...that's one of my goals healthy dinners...what thread is this if you don't mind me being nosy????
  • ME02134
    Options
    I'm joining this thread for the first time!

In November I lost 3 lbs which I was very happy with. Each week I increased the number of days I worked out by 1 day so week 1 it was 3 days, week 2- 4 days week 3- 5 and week 4- 6 which I loved because I could tell my motivation was increasing!

In December my goal is to run 4 days/week. Lose another 3 lbs. I am going at a slow pace but with the holidays that's okay with me! So by 1/1 I want to weigh 141! I am going to Hawaii Dec 10-16 and staying with a friend so no workout room but hopefully I can workout there between swimming and beach runs!

finncmh- lose 5lbs bringing me to 193 by New Years eve, strength training 2x's a week, develop a solid running/walking routine, try one new healthy meal a week!
    Mevan17- lose 3 lbs to get to 141 lb, run 4 days/week
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Here's my November recap:

1) Workout 3x a week for at least 30 min: just looked back over my logs. Most weeks I did 2 days a week of cardio. So I have room for improvement this month.

2) Keep unhealthy snacking below 200 calories a day: I did pretty well on this goal - until Thanksgiving Break. Was doing school work the entire time I was there and just kept eating whatever I could find in the pantry... All in all though, I consider this the goal a relative success since it is the salty carbalicious snacks that do me in every time.

3) Lose 1lb a week for a total of 4lbs: I think I only lost 2.5 lbs in November. I honestly could not tell what my starting weight for the month was. I recorded in on MFP, but I don't think that I ever wrote it down and I can't figure it out based on the progress report that MFP generates. If I'm right, I lost more weight this month than I did in October, while eating more calories (upped from 1200/day to 1390/day) And as a foodie, that is FINE by me :bigsmile:

December Goals:

In terms of goals, I've been seeing the most success in food related goals (rather than exercise or weight related goals). So I'm going to add more of those this month, just to keep it interesting :wink:

- 30 min of cardio 3x a week
    - Keep unhealthy snacking to under 200 calories/day
    - Add veggies that wouldn't normally be there to at least one meal a day. (This will probably happen most during lunch because I've gotten into sticking frozen veggies in the oven with some olive oil and spices while making lunch - DELICIOUS!)
    - Try one new healthy recipe a week
    - Lose 1lb a week for a total of 4lbs. DecSW = 161. A 4lb loss will put me below my lowest weight in college (last summer, 158). I am going to kick the *kitten* out of those 4lbs!!!!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Stuartme123 - DecSW = 161. 30 min of cardio 3x a week, Keep unhealthy snacking to under 200 calories/day, Add veggies that wouldn't normally be there to at least one meal a day, Try one new healthy recipe a week, Lose 1lb a week for a total of 4lbs.
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    Hey all! Happy December! :)

Stuartme123 - DecSW = 161. 30 min of cardio 3x a week, Keep unhealthy snacking to under 200 calories/day, Add veggies that wouldn't normally be there to at least one meal a day, Try one new healthy recipe a week, Lose 1lb a week for a total of 4lbs.
    CaptainJim157 - Dec SW = 172.2 lbs, lose 10 lbs by the end of December (2 lbs a week), control my anxiety a bit better (Can that be one of my goals?)
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    Hey, I changed my name to CaptainJim157 (from thesims3dude) but I'm still the same guy kay? :)
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    GREAT GOALS SO FAR!!! I think I'll add myself on :)

CaptainJim157 - Dec SW = 172.2 lbs, lose 10 lbs by the end of December (2 lbs a week), control my anxiety a bit better (Can that be one of my goals?)
    Jourdan_Rystrom - DecSW=136. I want to reach 133 by the end of December and have even more muscle tone! Log on to MFP EVERY DAY and always stay under my calories! I want to drop my BF% to 22%! I also want to include more greens in my diet!
  • ME02134
    Options
    I need to add one more thing... I have gotten into this chips ahoy craze which is sooo unnecessary after dinner... so an additional goal in december... dont buy cookies!! It sounds silly but i need it in writing!

Mevan17- lose 3 lbs to get to 141 lb, run 4 days/week, no cookies
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    New to this group Finn told me I should join, thought it sounded good and I need some more motivation with the weather changing.

Tickyfoxster710- Dec SW=294lbs, goal lose 9lbs by the end of December, finish my 10k running plan, try to get up to 8 miles before the end of the year, start my second round of 6 week triple challenge (finish the first week of January) ( goal 100 push ups, 200 situps, 200 squats consecutive)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Two boys!? :noway: Is that even possible?! Just kidding- welcome!

Tara- For running I have found a good combo for 3x/week running- Short run, Middle Run and Distance Challenge. Short run I try to pick up the pace (unless I’m feeling tired, then I just let myself go how my body wants), Distance Challenge is when I add .25-.5 miles (if you just got to 1 mile continuous, I would add just .25 for a couple- see how you feel), and the Middle run I do in intervals- I run a bit fast then walk however my body feels comfy -sometimes I sprint for 30s and walk for a minute or two, sometimes I’m in more of a mellow mood and just pick up my pace a little and maintain for a minute or two and then do equal walking. I’ve really found the combination to be really good at keeping boredom at bay (because I always have some goal to shoot for- distance or speed or just enjoyment!)

Tara TJ – Can’t wait to see how you did girl!

Rai- Your workout goals for this month look fantastic. And I think you’ll find that once you get into it, 30 min a few times a week keeps it fun and not so chore-like. 4lbs is awesome- esp with TG mixed in there!

AFM- I posted most of my results in the November thread but here’s a recap:

6.2 lbs down!!
    6.2 mile run accomplished!:bigsmile:

So check and check. Onto December:

For my weight goal I am going to be a little ambitious. The last two months I have lost roughly 6 lbs ea, so I am going to set 6lbs as my goal- to be 150 for new years. I will however be perfectly happy to get to 152, and I know the holidays will make this tough (esp since EVERYONE is having parties and festivities and would like me to partake) but what the heck I will go for it!

My NSG will be to complete 1 full week of my workouts- no slacking or changing. (I almost always drop something at the end of the week), to complete Week 4 of the push up challenge, and to be able to do 1 full pull-up. Whew! That won’t be too hard at all, right? :wink:

Tickyfoxster710- Dec SW=294lbs, goal lose 9lbs by the end of December, finish my 10k running plan, try to get up to 8 miles before the end of the year, start my second round of 6 week triple challenge (finish the first week of January) ( goal 100 push ups, 200 situps, 200 squats consecutive)
    meggonkgonk: Reach 150 lbs, complete 1 unabridged week of training, Week 4 of pushup challenge and 1 unassisted pullup

Whew- sorry to go on like that. :smile:

Best to all and to all a goodnight!

Peace
    ~Gonks