Senior Golden Sneakers - December 2010

Options

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I have been looking for a site like this ever since I joined. Would like to be part of the group. I am 61 and live in Canada.
    I have lost 18 lbs. so far but I am up 3 pounds now because of the holidays. How often do you meet?

Hello and welcome to the Golden Sneakers!!! We meet just as often as the spirit moves us but many of us post here at least twice a week, some of us twice a day. While we are all working on weight loss and support each other in that effort, the group does so much more. As "big kids" we have lots of life experience to share with each other. If someone has a new ache or pain you can bet another Golden Sneaker has had that same ache or pain and will come forward with advice. If we've found a wonderful new treat to eat we share the information. We question, suggest, gripe, brag, curse and pray about life, family and friends but we all know that beneath every word and thought there is unconditional love.

I didn't check my list but I do think we have another Canadian or two who is a regular visitor. Let us know where you are in Canada, and the day and date of your birthday (we don't need the year) so we can send best wishes your way when the time comes.

If you have the time you can go back through the Senior Golden Sneakers threads - November 2010, October 2010, September 2010, etc. and catch up but you certainly don't have to do that. We aren't a book that has to be read first chapter to last - we're more like a diary where each day is its own story.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I didn't check my list but I do think we have another Canadian or two who is a regular visitor. Let us know where you are in Canada, and the day and date of your birthday (we don't need the year) so we can send best wishes your way when the time comes.

Shirley61.... I should have done my due diligence before I posted my wlecome. I see that you are from the Niagara region of Ontario and work in New York. I think you're the second international commuter I've met. Our oldest son lived in Bellingham, Washington but his office was in Vancouver so he crossed the border each morning and evening.

Unlike Weight Watchers, you don't have to weigh in here or report your loss for the week (months). We all know you're doing your best!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    We are making plans for a family reunion At Devil Den in south west ark. that is about halfway between St.Louis and Dallas. If we can get cabins and and all can get off to go. here is the Link We went one year in Mo. by branson Mo.Had loads of fun. We used to go to a Devil den in Oklahoma when my kids was small. It closed down. So the name bring back lots of sweet menories..
    http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/devilsden/

Are we all ready for the new year. I am. No parties just go to bed at regular time. and get up and cook my black eyes peas.'
    Will have ham and cabbage with them.
    We had a lovely day herein the 60's tomorrow should be warmer. then look out for another cold front.

So glad to see you Shirley, We have such nice caring people here hope to get to know you better.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Came back by to wish you all sweet dreams
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Well I try to send another picture and photo bucket would not let me now it did.

tahunbarun2.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,000 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: I don't know where today has gone.....i slept late enough that I had to rush to get to my 9AM line dance class......my Wednesday walking friend has gone to Australia for three weeks but I had another friend come for a visit. she is not a walker so we sat at the table and talked.....she is back up here for two weeks from Arizona so she can visit her kids and grandkids....we had some snow flurries but that didn't keep the dogs and me from going to the dog park....it is getting colder now and should dip below freezing overnight.

:drinker: Irene, that is good news about your hair.....one of my line dance friends recently stopped wearing hats now that her hair is growing back after chemo and her hair looks like the hair on the poodles' head which is very soft, curly, and attractive.....I hope your husband has a speedy and not unpleasant recovery from his teeth ordeal.

:drinker: Marie, your upcoming family reunion sounds like fun.

:flowerforyou: Jake says to tell all of you hello :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and happy New Year :drinker: :drinker:
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    Ralph didn't get his teeth pulled after all. When he went in to set it up he didn't understand the importance of letting them know what medications he is on. I went with him today and gave them the list. Good thing I did. He takes Plavix (blood thinner), which he will have to stop for a few days before the surgery. So the dentist will have to clear things with his doctor, give Ralph instructions, and then schedule again, probably next week sometime.

My, do we have snow. The neighbor boys shovelled our walks, and in a couple of hours you couldn't tell they had been done. It just keeps coming down.

My granddaughter in Oregon will go into the hospital next Tuesday to give birth to my second great grandchild. A boy. It still seems strange to me that parents can now know the sex of the child months in advance. I think I rather liked the surprise with my own kids.

It's is a very sleepy night....I think I will turn in!!! Have a good evening. God Bless.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Welcome Shirley61. I think I might have seen a post or two from you a while back in the 50+ Women's Thread, but my memory is not what it used to be, so I could be imagining it!! LOL

We have avoided the lousy weather that hit in the Seattle area and points north. Irene, the last time I was in Spokane, it was January of 1988, and there was plenty of snow. Sounds like some things never change.

Happy New Year to everyone. Just stuck my head in the door to let all know that I am alive and kicking.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good afternoon Barbs. Been seeing all these snow pictures are so great. We haven't even had a flurrie But haven't given up hope yet. Wouldn't want to be snow in like some folks are, but would like to see some of that pretty white stuff. We had a pretty dry year so we sure could use some. Linette a friend up in Montana really had a big one on FB The pretties I have seen.She couldn't even get to work..
    How are you doing Lafla? any big snow yet I know you usally get your share up there in Canada. We are having s mild day. Hope Neil toe is better. I order my Blackbery vines. My son inlaw told me we need to get planted in January. I think I have to wait a year befoe the produce any fruit. I have some of your pictures on my computor and some time I come in here and it runs across My Screen.

Connie how do you do your blackberries . Do you freeze yours? If so tell me how.!!! How many plants do you have?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,000 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Jake and the girls and I just came back from the dog park.......I don't like the dog park as much in good weather because there are too many people and dogs there and many of them aren't regulars and don't seem to know how to behave (the dogs and the people :bigsmile: )....in the cold nasty weather the only ones there are the real diehards like Brandy, Sasha, and me.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Jake forgot to put his pedometer in his pocket this morning and when he remembered, he found out that the battery was dead....fortunately we bought extras at Radio Shack the last time so it was no trouble changing the battery.

:flowerforyou: We had a great mid-day meal of turkey burgers cooked with onions, squash (some of the squash I bought in the fall, baked, and froze) and frozen green beans.....not fancy but filling, healthy, tasty, and just over 400 calories.

:flowerforyou: with it so dark in the morning (the sun comes up here after 8 AM right now) we have been sleeping later and not having time for yoga before my line dance class.......I think yoga will have to be one of my goals for January.

:flowerforyou: Irene, Jake takes Plavix and every time he has had any medical procedure they have had him stop taking it for a few days ahead of time.....in February when he sliced his thumb, they had a hard time getting him to stop bleeding so the could stitch him up.

:flowerforyou: Barb, it's good to hear from you.....give the piggies a big hug from Jake and me and the Naughties.:bigsmile:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone from cold but sunny Saskatchewan. It was down to about -30 last night and didn't feel much warmer when I had to run a couple of errands today. I was thinking that the car heater wasn't working as my toes were so cold but eventually it warmed up! Supposed to be a cold one again tonight. We will be staying home New Years Eve (as we usually do) so the weather won't bother us. We will ring in the New Year with the folks on TV. I have just put a Shepherd's Pie in the oven with leftovers that needed to be used up. It is smelling nice, hope it tastes good.

Marie -- Neil's toe is looking much better but it is still very tender. He didn't even seem to want to come into the city with me so he is not up to par quite yet. We have had quite a bit of snow but I think the farmers are hoping for more.

Irene -- Sorry that the extractions are put on hold but it is good to be safe! It is tough when you get pumped up for it and it doesn't happen though.

Barb -- Nice to hear from you.

Barbie -- Good for you getting out with the girls.

Have a great last day of the year tomorrow!! Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year's Eve!!

Marie – Your Happy New Year is great, especially since we gained a couple of years. :laugh: :laugh:
    I hope you get your reunion all worked out so you can spend time with all your loved ones. Most of our snow has melted because of thunderstorms in December, can you believe that??? :noway:

Connie – Hope your husband is doing well and you survived the holidays. It must have been wonderful to have your son and granddaughter with you. How are they doing? :flowerforyou:

Mary Ellen – Where are you? Hope all is well. :flowerforyou:

Pam –Are you snowed in? Or did she go somewhere? I forgot. :tongue:

Janette – Where are you?? :flowerforyou:

Buzz –Where are you?.:flowerforyou:

Barbie – I stopped going to the dog park when some dogs were too aggressive with Daisy and the two men who owned them didn’t do anything to stop them. My husband walks her twice a day now instead, which I will join him when the weather gets warmer. I hate when I forget my pedometer when I walk, I like to know how far I go. It is hard to believe it is dark at 8am in Washington, but you are in a different time zone. :yawn:

Barb – It was so good to hear from you. Daisy was wondering how those puppies were doing. Hope you get to rest soon. :bigsmile:

Jeffrey – You are a twittering fool. We always know where you are. :laugh:

Gayla- You have a heck of a year, but 2011 will be better. I hope Neil’s foot is better today and his throat is improving. When is your trip planned? And because you know I don’t cook well what is a Shepherd Pie? :love:

Irene, I am just in awe of you and your wonderful outlook on life. You are grateful which makes me grateful for all that I have in my life, including good health. :heart:

Phoebe, we miss you and hope you also got some rest over the holidays. :bigsmile:

Beth, although you are facebook, some of those who don't have it miss you. :cry: I will tell you she has been visiting her family and running lots of marathons. :wink:

07j8Ai99P.gif
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to wish you all a Very Happy & Blessed New Year!!!!!
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Just popping in to wish you all a Very Happy & Blessed New Year!!!!!
    BirdieM:smooched:

The very same to you Birdie and I am so sorry for not posting to you above. I am old that is my story and I am sticking to it!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    prod_643_32491.gif

Happy New year All. be looking foward to being with you guys in 2011. HUGS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to you all!!! Best wishes for a year of health and happiness!

I will be back in 2011. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :drinker: :heart: :heart: :happy:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Just letting everyone know that the deadly tornadoes in Northern Arkansas and South Central Missouri were 100 miles away from us and we are safe and sound, having a good time with our family from Brazil and our youngest son.

Sure looking forward to 2011 - a healthier and happier year, I hope.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Just letting everyone know that the deadly tornadoes in Northern Arkansas and South Central Missouri were 100 miles away from us and we are safe and sound, having a good time with our family from Brazil and our youngest son.

Sure looking forward to 2011 - a healthier and happier year for us all! Happy New Year!.
  • Sandydur
    Options
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    hey is all taking a vacation??????????????????????????
    RE JUST RESTING UP FROM THE HoLIdays.
    i for one enjoy it but glad to be back to normal.

Have you all got your goals made for 2011

I have mine in this order:::::::::::::: Eat less ............. exercise more. I just read an article that said you can exercise more but will not lose any weigh unless you eat less. How true is that?

Lets have a great year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!