Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Oh and if your Health insurance comes out of your paycheck and you are taking unpaid leave you have to pay the full price out of pocket to keep it active.

Since adminstering FMLA leave is a huge part of my job, I feel obligated to note that if you are covered by the FMLA, your employer must, by law, continue paying their portion of your insurance premiums (if they normally pay a portion, that is. Most larger employers do & many smaller employers do as well.).

If you were on unpaid leave and not covered by the FMLA, your employer could (and likely *would*) make you pay both your portion AND their portion which completely sucks. For me, after adding the baby to my coverage, that difference would be $142.46/month versus the full cost of $585.90/month which is HUGE so YAY for the FMLA! :smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I was lucky with my last one, I had just enough vacation saved to cover 8 weeks and then I worked from home for 4 weeks PT until I could go back full time. I worked for a small non profit and they loved me back then so it worked out. Otherwise I would have been SOL.

This is one thing i really wish my company did - roll over vacation. I have only used my week once in the 5 years I have been here, but if I don't use it it cashes out and if I dont use my sick days (all whopping 3 of them!) they expire. I have never taken a legit sick day though but once. I use them the month before they expire to go to the park with my son or to lunch! :laugh: I suppose I COULD put the cash out for the vakay pay in a separate account and save it up for when I need to take a chunk of time, but yeah right - there are always things that will suck up that money before them. It'd be so much nicer to roll over vacation time!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Ugh - I haven't even been in to the doc yet and I am already frustrated beyond belief. I have been trying to find a VBAC friendly doc but first, the state coverage I got did not actually cover any doctors in my area (not w/in about 20 miles) so I switched to their secondary plan, which covers a handful of doctors in my area (so I'll finally get in for my 1st apt during week 14), but I heard from ICAN that the one I am planning might not be so VBAC friendly after all when the time comes to make the call. The one they recommended is great takes TennCare and is at the office and hospital I want, but she's not taking new TennCare patients so I can't pick her. They also don't cover any midwives or anything in my area. I would have to drive almost an hour to each appointment (not to mention the hospital) to see a midwife they cover. I keep saying, I can't complain that I'm getting free health care when I need it, since it is really my only option - self insuring at $500 - $600 a month is NOT an option, and financing potentially $30,000 or more to do it uninsured would kill us, but anyone who says that health care is no different and you have just as many choices if it's state run... I'm so frustrated that i feel like I might get forced into a Csection just because I can't afford to pick a doctor I want.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Well, I had my first ultrasound yesterday.... They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac both measuring what they should be but no heartbeat yet. The doc said it was too soon so not to worry yet. He put me on a prenatal called rovin nv. Generic for mentax or neevo. I hadn't ever taken a prescription prenatal before and this one is SOO Pricey. I'm not sure how I feel about it. After insurance, we still paid 45 dollars for it. That is the most we have ever had to pay for any of our prescriptions ever.
    Anyway, I go in on the 10th for another ultrasound and the doc said I should see the heartbeat by then so now I just have to be patient....

How far along will you be on the 10th? I go on the 13th and I will be 6 weeks and 3 days and I am hoping to hear a heartbeat!

I have heard from a lot of people that may be too early still though so I wouldn't worry! hmm... I have been thinking about the prescription prenatals as well...
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I saw a heartbeat (not heard) at my first ultrasound which the baby measured at 6W4D. We heard the heartbeat at my apt this past tuesday 8W4D. Its so amazing to hear/see the heart beating (makes me cry just thinking about it).
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Where did you ladies get a lot of your maternity clothes from? Where are your favorite spots (that arn't too expensive!!)?

I buy almost everything at resale shops. My favorite maternity is Gap and totally worth it IMO. Their sizes are generous as well.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Ugh - I haven't even been in to the doc yet and I am already frustrated beyond belief. I have been trying to find a VBAC friendly doc but first, the state coverage I got did not actually cover any doctors in my area (not w/in about 20 miles) so I switched to their secondary plan, which covers a handful of doctors in my area (so I'll finally get in for my 1st apt during week 14), but I heard from ICAN that the one I am planning might not be so VBAC friendly after all when the time comes to make the call. The one they recommended is great takes TennCare and is at the office and hospital I want, but she's not taking new TennCare patients so I can't pick her. They also don't cover any midwives or anything in my area. I would have to drive almost an hour to each appointment (not to mention the hospital) to see a midwife they cover. I keep saying, I can't complain that I'm getting free health care when I need it, since it is really my only option - self insuring at $500 - $600 a month is NOT an option, and financing potentially $30,000 or more to do it uninsured would kill us, but anyone who says that health care is no different and you have just as many choices if it's state run... I'm so frustrated that i feel like I might get forced into a Csection just because I can't afford to pick a doctor I want.

hmm... that is very frustrating... Have you met any of the doctors that they cover? Maybe one you will actually like!

I got lucky and have great insurance.... however, I don't get any paid Maternity leave. I can take up to a YEAR unpaid and be assured my job. (I teach in a high school in Chattanooga, TN). Luckly the last two years I have been coaching like crazy and saving all of my extra salary in a seperate acount to use when I am on Maternity leave! It makes the long nights coaching right now SO worth it!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Well, I had my first ultrasound yesterday.... They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac both measuring what they should be but no heartbeat yet. The doc said it was too soon so not to worry yet. He put me on a prenatal called rovin nv. Generic for mentax or neevo. I hadn't ever taken a prescription prenatal before and this one is SOO Pricey. I'm not sure how I feel about it. After insurance, we still paid 45 dollars for it. That is the most we have ever had to pay for any of our prescriptions ever.
    Anyway, I go in on the 10th for another ultrasound and the doc said I should see the heartbeat by then so now I just have to be patient....

At 5 weeks there is usually no HB yet, babies hearts start beating around 6ish weeks. What you saw is normal.

I will be totally honest and yes it is my opinion, but the prescip prenatals are not necessary and it is ridiculous you paid $45 for them!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I would drive the hour to the midwife. I live rural so driving far isn't uncommon. It matters most to you and baby to have the best and safest birth you possibility can, in this horrible birth climate, and you will be much more likely to achieve that goal w/ a midwife. Otherwise, you can refuse ANYTHING. You do not have to consent to a c/s or scheduling a c/s. Most VBAC mamas have to work hard to get what they desire, but it is well worth it. BTW there are new ACOG guidelines regarding VBACs which is entirely in your favor, have you read it?
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Where did you ladies get a lot of your maternity clothes from? Where are your favorite spots (that arn't too expensive!!)?

Oh, also, check your area for outlet stores. My friend got her mat. pants at Gap outlet (she happened to be traveling near one, so if you are traveling check those areas too! Ie, going somewhere to visit family for C-mas). Anyway - she got new GAP Mat. jeans for $5 each!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I I only have 14 more weeks of work! That means 18 weeks until my due date, yay! ... It will be nice to have a nice little break before my baby comes.

That sounds so nice! I quit my Sat/Sun restaurant job the week before I was due, but I went into my normal Mon-Fri for a full day in labor (mild labor...) :smile: But that was 100% financially driven since I don't get any maternity leave. I had to sell my horse to cover bills for the 2 weeks I actually took off. This time I should at least have 1 week of vacation time I can use and hopefully the hubby will be working and maybe I can take 3 or 4 weeks off. Probably not. It will probably be 2 again. :ohwell:

You don't get a maternity leave? Here in California we get to start maternity leave at 36 weeks and remain on maternity leave until 6 weeks after if you have a vaginal birth and 8 weeks off if you have a c-section. They take the money out of our paychecks from the moment we begin working here , lol it is disability pay and the only way I have ever gotten back any of that money is by taking my maternity leaves. Yay 22 weeks Sunday so exciting!

Here in Louisiana, it is not state mandated. It is only if you have sick or vacation time that you get paid. And you only get 12 weeks which are covered by FMLA if there are more than 50 employees. So if you work for a mom and pop, many times, they fill your position. You are very lucky.

Oh and if your Health insurance comes out of your paycheck and you are taking unpaid leave you have to pay the full price out of pocket to keep it active.

I was lucky with my last one, I had just enough vacation saved to cover 8 weeks and then I worked from home for 4 weeks PT until I could go back full time. I worked for a small non profit and they loved me back then so it worked out. Otherwise I would have been SOL.

That really sucks, I guess I am very lucky. The company I work for is small I was 1 of 6 employees when I started 9 1/2 years ago. We have since grown to 25 employees but I have never had any problems I have in that time got married and had 2 children. Both times I had extended maternity leave due to complications in pregnancy. My job is 100% secure and they are super flexible. I work an early shift 4am-12pm so I can spend afternoons with my family and take off any time I need without issues. The pay is pretty good too, my hubby became a sahd after loosing his job 3 years ago and although money is tight our kids have a super close family and have no idea what day care is. I feel lucky, sucks that some jobs do not give you the security
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Mjtwomail...do you have to tell them you had a c-section with the previous one? can't you just sort of not tell them till later. Like you start vaginal birth process and if it works out fine, if not then you tell them about the section. I know sounds crazy, I don't have any idea how that sort of thing works, but more of an don't ask don't tell??
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Mjtwomail...do you have to tell them you had a c-section with the previous one? can't you just sort of not tell them till later. Like you start vaginal birth process and if it works out fine, if not then you tell them about the section. I know sounds crazy, I don't have any idea how that sort of thing works, but more of an don't ask don't tell??

It's pretty obvious :) not to mention in my records. I think if I got that far with a provider who did not notice the scar I would be too terrified of their competency to do anything with them! :laugh:

I guess my biggest frustration is trying to find a Dr that is both recommended, VBAC friendly, taking TennCare, taking NEW TennCare patients (they have limits), and in a reasonable driving distance. I have an apt tues with the same Dr I had for my first son (though not the one who delivered him. He was on vacation, which, I also did not know until I was in the hospital in labor... considering it was the day before my due date he probably could have warned me at my apt less than a before!) and I will see what they say. I don't think there is a limit to the # of apts or # of drs I can see if I have to visit a few in my area (though most are like 15 miles away, there are none actually in my town suprisingly!) before deciding if I want to try to go to the one pretty far away. The VBAC friendly midwives that deliver in the hospital are 25 miles, but like a 45 min drive, likely a good hour with how traffic is in the mornings, which will make it tough to get there and back to work w/out missing a 1/2 day. So many won't take patients after like 16 weeks though, and I'm going on 13.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    So many won't take patients after like 16 weeks though, and I'm going on 13.

Have you called and been told this specifically? I switched to HB midwives at 27 weeks w/ my third and switched again at 32 weeks when we moved. Have you spoke to one of the midwives specifically, b/c many are more accommodating. I understand the driving thing and getting to work. I wish it were easier for you.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Didn't feel like working out today at all, but I did The Shred anyway. It is so warm after a cold spell one of my dd's and I went for a 50 minute walk too. I over did it on homemade doughnut my dd's made today, so it didn't make much of a dent unfortunately, but grateful for the nice weather.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    So many won't take patients after like 16 weeks though, and I'm going on 13.

Have you called and been told this specifically? I switched to HB midwives at 27 weeks w/ my third and switched again at 32 weeks when we moved. Have you spoke to one of the midwives specifically, b/c many are more accommodating. I understand the driving thing and getting to work. I wish it were easier for you.

Two of them have quoted this timeframe for me (the midwife program is later i know, these have all been OB quotes), but I think I am going to drive downtown and at least talk with the midwife program. They are the ones with the strongest recommendations from everyone. And I also learned a story today about my "supposedly VBAC friendly" doctor I was considering, going all the way up to 28 weeks with a VBAC lady then pushing her (I don't know the circumstances) for an early C/S as well as another story of a lady who was not even pregnant yet (!!!) (with her 1st) who he suggested a C/S for because she had too small a pelvis. So... I am not feeling too confident with him. I really liked him last time (he was not the one who actually delivered me) but I guess the extra 40 mins in the car each time is better than recovering from a C/S. I like the recent phrase I heard "unesse-sarean" :laugh:. Who knows what would have happened with my first if I waited on a C/S to see how it went, but I remember the Dr just coming in and saying "we're going to do a C-section" - I really had no idea what was going on, I hear the midwives let you know more. I have to admit I was not very interested in any of the pregnancy stuff or the hearing how big he was or the heartbeat monitoring or any of that, just get in and get out with my appointments, but it still would have been nice to have more info on my options.

I'm not interested in natural birth or tribal drum beats to labor to :laugh: or anything (I'm all for meds!), but it'd be nice to actually make some of the decisions or at least know what's going on. :smile:
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Two of them have quoted this timeframe for me (the midwife program is later i know, these have all been OB quotes), but I think I am going to drive downtown and at least talk with the midwife program. They are the ones with the strongest recommendations from everyone. And I also learned a story today about my "supposedly VBAC friendly" doctor I was considering, going all the way up to 28 weeks with a VBAC lady then pushing her (I don't know the circumstances) for an early C/S as well as another story of a lady who was not even pregnant yet (!!!) (with her 1st) who he suggested a C/S for because she had too small a pelvis. So... I am not feeling too confident with him. I really liked him last time (he was not the one who actually delivered me) but I guess the extra 40 mins in the car each time is better than recovering from a C/S. I like the recent phrase I heard "unesse-sarean" :laugh:. Who knows what would have happened with my first if I waited on a C/S to see how it went, but I remember the Dr just coming in and saying "we're going to do a C-section" - I really had no idea what was going on, I hear the midwives let you know more. I have to admit I was not very interested in any of the pregnancy stuff or the hearing how big he was or the heartbeat monitoring or any of that, just get in and get out with my appointments, but it still would have been nice to have more info on my options.

I'm not interested in natural birth or tribal drum beats to labor to :laugh: or anything (I'm all for meds!), but it'd be nice to actually make some of the decisions or at least know what's going on. :smile:

Oh my huge red flags w/ that OB. He believes women can't birth the baby they grow, that an assessment of a pelvis is a legitimate way to determine ability to birth vaginally and he does the VBAC bait and switch. Midwives, even hospital birth midwives most often view labor and birth as a normal process and encourage their clients to actively participate in their care. Really what happened in your first labor and birth is so unnecessary. It happens all the time by OB's and sometimes midwives managing your care as though you are a child or do not even exist to make knowledgable decisions.

I've had 8 HB's and no tribal music. Just quiet and calm, well usually, as I birthed our baby. Every mama deserves that. Hospital midwives do have the options of meds in labor if you choose. I waterbirth though, the best of both worlds, management of discomfort and no side effects to be had!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    feeling so sick yet starving at the same time.... uhg. (sorry just wanted to complain ;))

getting excited for the season! We went christmas shopping tonight... I love the holidays!
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options

How far along will you be on the 10th? I go on the 13th and I will be 6 weeks and 3 days and I am hoping to hear a heartbeat!

I have heard from a lot of people that may be too early still though so I wouldn't worry! hmm... I have been thinking about the prescription prenatals as well...

On the 10th I will be 6w4d so definitely a lot farther and the doc said that by then we will see it.
    As for the prescriptions, I'm just going to take them through my 1st trimester because they are a lot higher in folic acid, iron and calcium and then I think I'll go back to the womens one a day prenatal that is just over the counter that I bought from walgreens. After the coupon, they are only 12 dollars a month
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ladies! We have made it through another week and are that much closer to meeting our little ones. For all of you early on don't worry the m/s ends eventually for now just eat what you can stomach. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, I think we are going to take the boys to Chuck E Cheese so they can have some fun since it has been way too cold to play outside lately. Yummy salad bar, can't wait, oh yeah the pizza is pretty good too but I'm gonna try to eat as much veggies as possible.:smile: