Replies

• pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    [

Congrats!! Yay! Well for me early on I didn't need to
    add too much calories I was eating about what you eat
    but lately my nausea seems to go away when I snack more
    throughout the day so needless to say I had to listen to my body.
    So far I've gained 2lbs but it may be water weight cause I have
    been bad w my water intake. That's what I need to work
    on is drinking my water. How far along are you?
    [/quote]

Thanks ladies!!

I am not exactly sure how far along I am. According to the advice nurse about 5 weeks along. So still very, very early. I don't see the doctor until the 22nd. Stupid Kaiser!!

I am just so scared about gaining too much weight. I still had so much weight to lose and this pregnancy was so unexpected. I am thinking that maybe I should change my calories to maintenance calories and see what happens. i still plan to exercise at least 5 times a week. Although I can't do Insanity anymore. I will continue walking until I see the doctor and see what she says.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Okay, Just out of curiosity I've had one
    strange craving so far that kinda happened
    by accident. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those
    Hot Mama pickles from the theaters well
    recently I had one that I brought home cause
    those suckers can take days to finish. Well
    I just so happen to like sunflower kernels
    also well I happened to have them within
    minutes of each other and now I crave them
    together so what I've been doing is putting the
    kernels in the juice of the pickle DH thinks it's so
    gross. haha

but i'm just curious anyone else had any strange cravings?

I guess I would like to know that i'm not that weird. :)

I've had friends who have had cravings things like
    potato chips and ketchup, crackers and ketchup,
    and soft serve ice cream w fries.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've had friends who have had cravings things like
    potato chips and ketchup, ...
    and soft serve ice cream w fries.

Oops! Sounds like I have been pregnant my whole life then! Both of these = YUM!!!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Hey ladies,

My husband and I just found on Friday that we are expecting our first child :-) Prior to getting pregnant I was eating 1200 calories to lose weight, so now I don't know how many calories to eat. Can someone please help me out. I know that I probably need to eat more than 1200 calories but I just don't know how many more. I am not really hungry these days so do I need to force myself to eat or can I go with what my body tells me?

Thanks!

Welcome and congrats! I did not increase my calories until 11 weeks to maintenance, I was also eating 1200. I was fine on that, but I did eat my extra exercising calories. I had not done that previously. It worked great for me. I only gained 5 or so pounds which I am happy w/. Some of those pounds were gained on a trip dh and I went on at 5 weeks along.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I am just so scared about gaining too much weight. I still had so much weight to lose and this pregnancy was so unexpected. I am thinking that maybe I should change my calories to maintenance calories and see what happens. i still plan to exercise at least 5 times a week. Although I can't do Insanity anymore. I will continue walking until I see the doctor and see what she says.

I set mine to maintenance around 8 weeks because I was MAJORLY fatigued. It helped some. I ate small things literally ALL day long. I actually lost a couple lbs when I bumped up to maintenance. By definition you should not gain anything if you go up to maintenance (the exception being if you eat all fats and would thus still put on some fat, or if you have been eating far too little for your body and your body hoards calories once coming out of any starvation mode). Providing 1200 has been a healthy deficit for you jumping to maintenance should have no ill effects, other then the scale might stop for a while. If you feel fine and dont want to eat maintenance you can eat somewhere in between your 1200 and maintenance. It also has to do with how much you have to lose. I could get by w/out losing any more, so I definitely needed to bump up to maintenance. I eat my 1990 + exercise calories (most of the time) so I am usually around 2400 or 2500. If I'm not feeling it I don't eat them all. I had (have :ohwell: ) evening sickness more than any other time of day so sometimes I'd opt for some toast and call it a night. I'm 13 weeks and change and put on maybe an lb so far. Currently I am still eating at maintenance but if I go over 100 or 200 cals every couple days I'm OK with it. And I always eat if I am hungry, despite what I have left in my count.

You also say you can't do insanity any more? "Can't" ? If you are used to it, you can keep it up. You might find you have to lower the intensity a little just to what you are comfortable with, but you can keep up exercise routines that you were doing. I was doing P90x for the first almost 8 weeks of my preg. I ended up stopping since I was so fatigued it was detrimental (I was literally falling asleep in the middle of the day at my desk!), but I kept up all my morning gym cardio (I just have found I feel better keeping my heart rate about 15-20 points lower than what my max used to be). I feel that now I could start back up P90x if I wanted to, but I don't want to - mostly because my house is freezing and I prefer to go to the gym and I have been trying to get to sleep earlier and used to do P90x at night. But health wise - yeah, I could kick back in the P90X if I wanted and do fine pregnancy wise.
  • pragya728
    Options
    Hey ladies,

My husband and I just found on Friday that we are expecting our first child :-) Prior to getting pregnant I was eating 1200 calories to lose weight, so now I don't know how many calories to eat. Can someone please help me out. I know that I probably need to eat more than 1200 calories but I just don't know how many more. I am not really hungry these days so do I need to force myself to eat or can I go with what my body tells me?

Thanks!

Welcome and congrats! I did not increase my calories until 11 weeks to maintenance, I was also eating 1200. I was fine on that, but I did eat my extra exercising calories. I had not done that previously. It worked great for me. I only gained 5 or so pounds which I am happy w/. Some of those pounds were gained on a trip dh and I went on at 5 weeks along.

That's the other thing I was thinking to eat the exercise calories along with the 1200. I am not really hungry at all these days. I just get sooo tired. Today all day I have had no energy to do anything.

Thanks for your help!
  • pragya728
    Options

I set mine to maintenance around 8 weeks because I was MAJORLY fatigued. It helped some. I ate small things literally ALL day long. I actually lost a couple lbs when I bumped up to maintenance. By definition you should not gain anything if you go up to maintenance (the exception being if you eat all fats and would thus still put on some fat, or if you have been eating far too little for your body and your body hoards calories once coming out of any starvation mode). Providing 1200 has been a healthy deficit for you jumping to maintenance should have no ill effects, other then the scale might stop for a while. If you feel fine and dont want to eat maintenance you can eat somewhere in between your 1200 and maintenance. It also has to do with how much you have to lose. I could get by w/out losing any more, so I definitely needed to bump up to maintenance. I eat my 1990 + exercise calories (most of the time) so I am usually around 2400 or 2500. If I'm not feeling it I don't eat them all. I had (have :ohwell: ) evening sickness more than any other time of day so sometimes I'd opt for some toast and call it a night. I'm 13 weeks and change and put on maybe an lb so far. Currently I am still eating at maintenance but if I go over 100 or 200 cals every couple days I'm OK with it. And I always eat if I am hungry, despite what I have left in my count.

You also say you can't do insanity any more? "Can't" ? If you are used to it, you can keep it up. You might find you have to lower the intensity a little just to what you are comfortable with, but you can keep up exercise routines that you were doing. I was doing P90x for the first almost 8 weeks of my preg. I ended up stopping since I was so fatigued it was detrimental (I was literally falling asleep in the middle of the day at my desk!), but I kept up all my morning gym cardio (I just have found I feel better keeping my heart rate about 15-20 points lower than what my max used to be). I feel that now I could start back up P90x if I wanted to, but I don't want to - mostly because my house is freezing and I prefer to go to the gym and I have been trying to get to sleep earlier and used to do P90x at night. But health wise - yeah, I could kick back in the P90X if I wanted and do fine pregnancy wise.

I started Insanity less than two weeks prior to finding out I am pregnant. So I don't know if my body was already used to it. I talked to the advice nurse and she suggested I stop doing it. I am waiting until I see my doctor to find out everything. Because this is my first pregnancy and I have no seen a doctor yet I don't really want to risk it. And the other thing is that I noticed that I am so tired all the time. I am continuing to exercise though. Today I walked for over an hour and burned about 420 calories.

For the calories you're right, I will continue eating the 1200 but I will also eat the exercise calories and see how that makes me feel. So far I am not hungry at all just so tired all the time.

Thanks for your help though!!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! Glad to see that everyone is
    doing well. That Chinese predictor site
    is really fun thanks for the link dragonfly!
    According to that i am having a boy so
    we shall see. :) So, on Friday I had my
    first U/S and I got to see a little heartbeat
    i was in tears :) unfortunately DH couldn't
    be there but the tech told me that the next
    U/S he should come to and that he'll be able
    to see much more :) Seeing that heartbeat took
    all my fears away. I had some early bleeding and
    clotting so I was really on edge for the month of
    November. I'm finding that snacking often throughout
    the day really helps my nausea so i am trying to
    keep the snacks as healthy as possible.
    I started my exercise back up on Saturday my stationary
    bike that is and I really want to incorporate some weights
    now.

Happy Monday All!:flowerforyou:

You're welcome! Glad to see you are doing well. Great job with the exercise.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Im back! Back to logging my food again after a month break. I gained 8 lbs in the first 10 wks! So I have to be careful. Main reason was anything that wasnt a carb made me sick. I used to eat salads alot...now I hate them. Any suggestions on what veggies to eat?
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I started Insanity less than two weeks prior to finding out I am pregnant. So I don't know if my body was already used to it. I talked to the advice nurse and she suggested I stop doing it. I am waiting until I see my doctor to find out everything. Because this is my first pregnancy and I have no seen a doctor yet I don't really want to risk it. And the other thing is that I noticed that I am so tired all the time. I am continuing to exercise though. Today I walked for over an hour and burned about 420 calories.

For the calories you're right, I will continue eating the 1200 but I will also eat the exercise calories and see how that makes me feel. So far I am not hungry at all just so tired all the time.

Thanks for your help though!!

I had to quit doing Insanity too and I was on my 2nd round and half way through the first month. Their was so much jumping around that I was getting stomach cramps really really bad and it dehydrated me too much so I completely understand needing to quit. I also found that when I was done with my insanity workout, I couldn't even function anymore which is totally not normal for me after a workout and with Insanity, their really isn't much room for modification!!
    My doctor also told me that if it is making me feel that crappy, it's not something I should be doing basically. I am now doing Turbo Jam and keeping it high intensity but low impact and then Chalene Extreme 3 days a week for lifting with some Yoga and walking a couple times a week. I'm still exhausted, but at least I don't feel like death afterwords :laugh:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Question. Have any of you had cramping in your early pregnancy? I am on week 5 right now and I have had a lot of cramping the last couple of days like I would before I started my period. I havn't had any spotting or blood though. Is this something that is normal or something I should be worried about? I have my first dr. apt. next monday so I have been really anxious imaging that something is wrong... did you guys do that too? I havn't had morning sickness yet. My breasts have been more tender than usual, I have to pee all the time and I am really tried but I feel like those things are hard to know if they are from pregnancy.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    [

Congrats!! Yay! Well for me early on I didn't need to
    add too much calories I was eating about what you eat
    but lately my nausea seems to go away when I snack more
    throughout the day so needless to say I had to listen to my body.
    So far I've gained 2lbs but it may be water weight cause I have
    been bad w my water intake. That's what I need to work
    on is drinking my water. How far along are you?

Thanks ladies!!

I am not exactly sure how far along I am. According to the advice nurse about 5 weeks along. So still very, very early. I don't see the doctor until the 22nd. Stupid Kaiser!!

[/quote]

With Kaiser you have to attend a prenatal registration class before you are seen. At this class you go over nutrition and they tell you what you can and can't eat. They also do all of your lab work so that by the time you have your first appointment they have all of the information. The class is super helpful so make sure to attend. This is my 3rd baby I will be having at Kaiser and they have been WONDERFUL with all of the pregnancies.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Question. Have any of you had cramping in your early pregnancy? I am on week 5 right now and I have had a lot of cramping the last couple of days like I would before I started my period. I havn't had any spotting or blood though. Is this something that is normal or something I should be worried about? I have my first dr. apt. next monday so I have been really anxious imaging that something is wrong... did you guys do that too? I havn't had morning sickness yet. My breasts have been more tender than usual, I have to pee all the time and I am really tried but I feel like those things are hard to know if they are from pregnancy.

I actually asked the same exact question a couple weeks ago. Apparantly it is very normal! I still get the cramps from time to time now but they definitely aren't near as intense as the were the first 2 weeks. And all your other symptoms are the exact same as mine. I still haven't gotten morning sickness yet (and considering myself lucky). I go in for my next ultrasound on friday tho and they said they will see the heartbeat then, so if everything is ok for me then, hopefully it's all good for you too!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

The cramping is something that I have had on and off throughout the pregnancy thus far. My m/s didn't kick in until right around the late 7th to early 8th week so it can still come. It only lasted until about week 14 or 15. The doctors say cramping is normal as long as there is no bleeding, I went it for that because I was worried after having a m/c earlier this year. Peeing all of the time is absolutely the funest part, lol... it slows down in the second trimester, thank god! Since it is not your first pregnancy you will probably have a lot more round ligament pain as the baby grows which can be very painful.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    The cramping is something that I have had on and off throughout the pregnancy thus far. My m/s didn't kick in until right around the late 7th to early 8th week so it can still come. It only lasted until about week 14 or 15. The doctors say cramping is normal as long as there is no bleeding, I went it for that because I was worried after having a m/c earlier this year. Peeing all of the time is absolutely the funest part, lol... it slows down in the second trimester, thank god! Since it is not your first pregnancy you will probably have a lot more round ligament pain as the baby grows which can be very painful.
    [/quote]

Okay thanks. I am feeling better... I will feel MUCh better after going to the dr. monday but at least I know its normal! I thought maybe something was wrong because I havn't had morning sickness yet but I guess I may just not be far enough along. This is my first actually which I think is why I am so worried about it all. I have had to pee about every hour right now... which as a teacher is rough because I can't leave my kids till we have a break!
  • AnneElise
    Options

Okay thanks. I am feeling better... I will feel MUCh better after going to the dr. monday but at least I know its normal! I thought maybe something was wrong because I havn't had morning sickness yet but I guess I may just not be far enough along. This is my first actually which I think is why I am so worried about it all. I have had to pee about every hour right now... which as a teacher is rough because I can't leave my kids till we have a break!
    [/quote]

whoops that top part was suposed to be a quoted in the last one!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

This is normal, it should be off and on mild cramping. That is implantation cramps from what I understand. I cramped in weeks 5 and a little in 6.

I'm 23 weeks and my right ovary area still cramps periodically. Around the time I would have start my period. The body does weird things.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Hopefully you will be one of the fortunate ones like me and not get morning sickness. I haven't had it with any of my pregnancies. I did however experience the period like cramping you are speaking of with a couple of them.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I have had cramping in early weeks w/ some of mine. It is very normal.
  • KatalynasMommy
    KatalynasMommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just checking in still trying hopefully this month will be my lucky month if not my doctor is going to send us to another doctor about 2 or more hours from where we live. I've lost around 50 pounds so I don't know what they excuse will be now.