Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    Hello everyone

I just wanted to post to say hello and introduce myself. I am 26 years old and weigh about 250lbs!  This is the most ever… I am pretty ashamed!

Anyways, I am so scared something could go wrong with my pregnancy as I let myself gain so much weight before getting pregnant. I just found out last night I am 4 weeks pregnant. I will not be in to see my dr for a couple of weeks probably (have to call this morning for an appt) and am not sure what to do with my calories!

Anywas, looking forward to getting to know you guys! How do I get one of those cool tickers on the bottom of my post that shows how far along I am?

Thanks!
    Rachel
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Okay thanks. I am feeling better... I will feel MUCh better after going to the dr. monday but at least I know its normal! I thought maybe something was wrong because I havn't had morning sickness yet but I guess I may just not be far enough along. This is my first actually which I think is why I am so worried about it all. I have had to pee about every hour right now... which as a teacher is rough because I can't leave my kids till we have a break!

Hopefully you will be one of the fortunate ones like me and not get morning sickness. I haven't had it with any of my pregnancies. I did however experience the period like cramping you are speaking of with a couple of them.

You are soo lucky, I have been sick in all of my pregnancies. I feel that it was worse this time around with my girl than it was with my boys. I definately fell off the nutrition wagon but have gotten back on. You are doing so well with exercise and all and have gained very little weight. I can't exercise because I get contractions so I am focusing in on the calories and stuff. I set myself to maintenance. What are you doing calorie wise?
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    You are soo lucky, I have been sick in all of my pregnancies. I feel that it was worse this time around with my girl than it was with my boys. I definately fell off the nutrition wagon but have gotten back on. You are doing so well with exercise and all and have gained very little weight. I can't exercise because I get contractions so I am focusing in on the calories and stuff. I set myself to maintenance. What are you doing calorie wise?

Yes, I am definitely one of the fortunate ones! I had the stomach flu and few weeks back and during that I was counting my lucky stars that I never had morning sickness.

Good job getting back on the wagon. Often that is very difficult to do but you did it! You should be proud.

I am shocked at my weight gain myself. I have never had a pregnancy like this before. Although, with my first two I started in the 120s but my third I was in the 140s as well at the beginning. This is the first pregnancy I have made sure I exercised and I am sure that is a big help. I actually for the first time started getting slight contractions while walking today at a quick pace. I stopped for a couple minutes and got back to it at a slower pace and was fine. Have you thought about doing pregnancy yoga or something on the light side? I have a pregnancy yoga tape from BeachBody called "Baby on the Way." It is is slow and actually a nice enjoyable routine.

As for calories, I haven't really been watching my calories. I don't believe I am getting quite the amount I should be and should be doing a better job at my intake.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Finished my 6 miles for the day and burned 724 calories. Didn't want to do it but glad I did. Had to take it a little slower today because of some discomfort.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Finished my 6 miles for the day and burned 724 calories. Didn't want to do it but glad I did. Had to take it a little slower today because of some discomfort.

You are an amazing woman!!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Hello everyone

I just wanted to post to say hello and introduce myself. I am 26 years old and weigh about 250lbs!  This is the most ever… I am pretty ashamed!

Anyways, I am so scared something could go wrong with my pregnancy as I let myself gain so much weight before getting pregnant. I just found out last night I am 4 weeks pregnant. I will not be in to see my dr for a couple of weeks probably (have to call this morning for an appt) and am not sure what to do with my calories!

Anywas, looking forward to getting to know you guys! How do I get one of those cool tickers on the bottom of my post that shows how far along I am?

Thanks!
    Rachel

Congratulations! I have been heavy most of my pregnancies and around 250 +, w/ my 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. I have had easy pregnancies and deliveries. There is nothing to be scared of, especially w/ a no fat phobic OB or a midwife.
  • dragonfly74
    Options

You are an amazing woman!!

Thank you, what a nice thing to say. I am lucky to be able to do it while I can.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    13 weeks 3 days - and i finally saw a Dr today! Well, a nurse midwife. I am glad I will be driving the extra distance for them. When I said I wanted a VBAC she said "good, you're in the right place!" So that is comforting! I am sure I will be cursing my decision for a hospital a good 45 minutes away once I am labor :laugh: but I think it will be fine. My son will be in AZ for most of the summer (he goes every year) so it's a huge relief not to have to find someone to watch him because we know no one [reliable :laugh: ] here. So that will make getting to the hospital quicker easier! They asked me if I wanted an ultrasound, but I declined because I'm pretty sure it's not covered by my insurance. Plus, blobs on the screen are not interesting to me. Wait until it looks like a baby, even then they still look like aliens.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    13 weeks 3 days - and i finally saw a Dr today! Well, a nurse midwife. I am glad I will be driving the extra distance for them. When I said I wanted a VBAC she said "good, you're in the right place!" So that is comforting! I am sure I will be cursing my decision for a hospital a good 45 minutes away once I am labor :laugh: but I think it will be fine. My son will be in AZ for most of the summer (he goes every year) so it's a huge relief not to have to find someone to watch him because we know no one [reliable :laugh: ] here. So that will make getting to the hospital quicker easier! They asked me if I wanted an ultrasound, but I declined because I'm pretty sure it's not covered by my insurance. Plus, blobs on the screen are not interesting to me. Wait until it looks like a baby, even then they still look like aliens.

Awesome! I am so happy you had a good appt.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options

Awesome! I am so happy you had a good appt.

Hey, you seem to know all about supplements etc - I know I think at least I saw something on green tea maybe not being great for pregs? What about reg lavendar earl gray? I don't like tea really, but someone sent me some and I thought I would give it a try. It's so stinking cold here (well, only 18-35, but our house is insulated about as well as a tuna can, so...) and I'm out of hot chocolate :tongue: I thought i might try it. What's the skinny on tea and preg?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    ]

Hey, you seem to know all about supplements etc - I know I think at least I saw something on green tea maybe not being great for pregs? What about reg lavendar earl gray? I don't like tea really, but someone sent me some and I thought I would give it a try. It's so stinking cold here (well, only 18-35, but our house is insulated about as well as a tuna can, so...) and I'm out of hot chocolate :tongue: I thought i might try it. What's the skinny on tea and preg?

I think any tea is great in pregnancy or not, but I also don't think any food should be "forbidden" during pregnancy either. Anyway, a great tea for pregnancy is red raspberry leaf or a pregnancy tea by Traditional Medicinals. Red raspberry leaf supports a toned uterus. Their pregnancy tea contains several different leaves, one of which is alfalfa which is superb in pregnancy, giving you vit K which is converted for your baby. This is excellent for mothers refusing a vit K shot for baby after birth and for little blood loss after birth of the placenta b/c of vit K's awesome blood clotting factors you receive naturally instead of artificially.

I forgot to say the link below is an excellent resource for pregnant mothers.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Phew!! It's been a BUSY week! I'm running a holiday gift shop at school so the kids can buy gifts for their families and it has keep me busy, busy, busy! Counting down the days until the 14th when we get out for Christmas! The teachers are bringing goodies every morning this week, so walking all over the school for the gift shop stuff is helping with those extra calories!! :laugh:

Welcome and Congrats new ladies!
  • dragonfly74
    Options

I think any tea is great in pregnancy or not, but I also don't think any food should be "forbidden" during pregnancy either. Anyway, a great tea for pregnancy is red raspberry leaf or a pregnancy tea by Traditional Medicinals. Red raspberry leaf supports a toned uterus. Their pregnancy tea contains several different leaves, one of which is alfalfa which is superb in pregnancy, giving you vit K which is converted for your baby. This is excellent for mothers refusing a vit K shot for baby after birth and for little blood loss after birth of the placenta b/c of vit K's awesome blood clotting factors you receive naturally instead of artificially.

I sure enjoy my teas too and hot chocolate. I love both the Yogi Calming and Yogi Bedtime teas. However, I haven't had any yet this pregnancy because it says right on the box and on each individual packet "WARNING Do not use during pregnancy or while nursing." Makes no sense to me and want to ask my doctor about it. He will probably look at it and say it is fine. He prescribed something for me years back when I was nursing my second and it said "not to be taken while pregnant or nursing." I asked him if it was still okay and he said "yes, you can take it. That is just a lawyer's cover your *kitten* statement." I will never forget that line.

The ingredients in the calming tea I enjoy are:

Organic Licorice Root
    Organic Chamomile Flower
    Organic Gotu Kola
    Organic Hibiscus Flower
    Organic Fennel Seed
    Organic Lemon Grass
    Organic Cardamom Seed
    Organic Orange Peel
    Organic Rose Hip
    Organic English Lavender Flower
    Organic Barley Malt
    Natural Plum Flavor

So I just did some looking on the internet and this is what it said about drinking herbal teas while pregnant:

Herbal teas
    Herbal teas are naturally caffeine free, so caffeine is not an issue when consuming this type of tea. The concern with consuming herbal teas during pregnancy is the lack of data available on most herbs and their effects on a developing fetus. There are mixed opinions on the safety of herbal teas, for both pregnant and non-pregnant women.

Most commercial brands of herbal teas are thought to be safe for anyone to consume in reasonable amounts. Herbal tea companies, such as Celestial Seasonings, report that they do not use any herbs that are considered dangerous and choose to use herbs from guidelines that the FDA has published. The herbal teas that are considered to be unsafe are those that are not made commercially, those made with excessive amounts of herbs (amounts larger than those found in common foods or drinks), or those made with herbs that are known to be toxic. As with most things, it is always best to talk with your midwife or doctor about any herbal teas that you are interested in drinking.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I was going to ask my
    doctor about Celestial Seasonings
    Red Raspberry Tea. I love raspberry
    tea and I stopped drinking it once I
    found out I was PG. So, now I'm thinking
    it might be okay to drink a little each week.
    I still drink iced tea I just wasn't sure about
    the herbal tea.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    a side note on my apt. She mentioned weight gain ranges and said that I might find myself gaining more just because of the holidays, and to not let it upset me if it happens. I mentioned to the midwife and the med student that I counted my calories and they were amazed! She was even more amazed when I said that I stayed under 2000 for Thanksgiving. She said "for the day or the meal?!" :laugh: (I actually gave myself a free pass on TGVN, but only ate until I was full and skipped dessert because I really did not want it. Logging after the fact I found that I stayed under my limit!)
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    [

Congrats!! Yay! Well for me early on I didn't need to
    add too much calories I was eating about what you eat
    but lately my nausea seems to go away when I snack more
    throughout the day so needless to say I had to listen to my body.
    So far I've gained 2lbs but it may be water weight cause I have
    been bad w my water intake. That's what I need to work
    on is drinking my water. How far along are you?

Thanks ladies!!

I am not exactly sure how far along I am. According to the advice nurse about 5 weeks along. So still very, very early. I don't see the doctor until the 22nd. Stupid Kaiser!!

I am just so scared about gaining too much weight. I still had so much weight to lose and this pregnancy was so unexpected. I am thinking that maybe I should change my calories to maintenance calories and see what happens. i still plan to exercise at least 5 times a week. Although I can't do Insanity anymore. I will continue walking until I see the doctor and see what she says.

With Kaiser you have to attend a prenatal registration class before you are seen. At this class you go over nutrition and they tell you what you can and can't eat. They also do all of your lab work so that by the time you have your first appointment they have all of the information. The class is super helpful so make sure to attend. This is my 3rd baby I will be having at Kaiser and they have been WONDERFUL with all of the pregnancies.
    [/quote]

Oh wow, so I won't even see the doctor on the 22nd. They told me about the lab and the class but they didn't say that I wouldn't see the doctor on that day. I was really hoping to see the doctor by then. Do you know how much later will I able to see the doctor after the class and the lab work is done?
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    [

Congrats!! Yay! Well for me early on I didn't need to
    add too much calories I was eating about what you eat
    but lately my nausea seems to go away when I snack more
    throughout the day so needless to say I had to listen to my body.
    So far I've gained 2lbs but it may be water weight cause I have
    been bad w my water intake. That's what I need to work
    on is drinking my water. How far along are you?

Thanks ladies!!

I am not exactly sure how far along I am. According to the advice nurse about 5 weeks along. So still very, very early. I don't see the doctor until the 22nd. Stupid Kaiser!!

I am just so scared about gaining too much weight. I still had so much weight to lose and this pregnancy was so unexpected. I am thinking that maybe I should change my calories to maintenance calories and see what happens. i still plan to exercise at least 5 times a week. Although I can't do Insanity anymore. I will continue walking until I see the doctor and see what she says.

With Kaiser you have to attend a prenatal registration class before you are seen. At this class you go over nutrition and they tell you what you can and can't eat. They also do all of your lab work so that by the time you have your first appointment they have all of the information. The class is super helpful so make sure to attend. This is my 3rd baby I will be having at Kaiser and they have been WONDERFUL with all of the pregnancies.

Oh wow, so I won't even see the doctor on the 22nd. They told me about the lab and the class but they didn't say that I wouldn't see the doctor on that day. I was really hoping to see the doctor by then. Do you know how much later will I able to see the doctor after the class and the lab work is done?
    [/quote]

I have always gotten my appointments within the next week. They have always done an ultrasound at the first visit so that is something to look forward to.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Question. Have any of you had cramping in your early pregnancy? I am on week 5 right now and I have had a lot of cramping the last couple of days like I would before I started my period. I havn't had any spotting or blood though. Is this something that is normal or something I should be worried about? I have my first dr. apt. next monday so I have been really anxious imaging that something is wrong... did you guys do that too? I havn't had morning sickness yet. My breasts have been more tender than usual, I have to pee all the time and I am really tried but I feel like those things are hard to know if they are from pregnancy.

I am in wk 10 and thats exactly what I had. I kept telling my husband I wasnt pregnant because my period is coming, because of the cramps. Mine were quick cramps, they didnt really linger. All of your symtoms sound like mine ; )
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I sure enjoy my teas too and hot chocolate. I love both the Yogi Calming and Yogi Bedtime teas. However, I haven't had any yet this pregnancy because it says right on the box and on each individual packet "WARNING Do not use during pregnancy or while nursing." Makes no sense to me and want to ask my doctor about it. He will probably look at it and say it is fine. He prescribed something for me years back when I was nursing my second and it said "not to be taken while pregnant or nursing." I asked him if it was still okay and he said "yes, you can take it. That is just a lawyer's cover your *kitten* statement." I will never forget that line.

Organic Licorice Root
    Organic Chamomile Flower
    Organic Gotu Kola
    Organic Hibiscus Flower
    Organic Fennel Seed
    Organic Lemon Grass
    Organic Cardamom Seed
    Organic Orange Peel
    Organic Rose Hip
    Organic Barley Malt
    Natural Plum Flavor

So I just did some looking on the internet and this is what it said about drinking herbal teas while pregnant:

Herbal teas
    Herbal teas are naturally caffeine free, so caffeine is not an issue when consuming this type of tea. The concern with consuming herbal teas during pregnancy is the lack of data available on most herbs and their effects on a developing fetus. There are mixed opinions on the safety of herbal teas, for both pregnant and non-pregnant women.

Most commercial brands of herbal teas are thought to be safe for anyone to consume in reasonable amounts. Herbal tea companies, such as Celestial Seasonings, report that they do not use any herbs that are considered dangerous and choose to use herbs from guidelines that the FDA has published. The herbal teas that are considered to be unsafe are those that are not made commercially, those made with excessive amounts of herbs (amounts larger than those found in common foods or drinks), or those made with herbs that are known to be toxic. As with most things, it is always best to talk with your midwife or doctor about any herbal teas that you are interested in drinking.

you know...I have 2 pregnancy books that completly contradict each other. One says chamomile is safe, the other says avoid it. Also read green tea should be avoided. Havent had tea yet...and I miss it!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Organic Licorice Root
    Organic Chamomile Flower
    Organic Gotu Kola
    Organic Hibiscus Flower
    Organic Fennel Seed
    Organic Lemon Grass
    Organic Cardamom Seed
    Organic Orange Peel
    Organic Rose Hip
    Organic Barley Malt
    Natural Plum Flavor

Herbal teas

Those are all safe. I get my info from Wise Women Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susun S. Weed. Although what you are consuming is not tea it is an herbal drink b/c it comes from different plants. Tea comes from the same plant, such as green tea, black tea, Earl Grey, oolong, English breakfast tea.