Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Anyone else decline a quad screen? I don't think I would consent to an amnio anyway and it wouldn't change anything other than being prepared in the delivery room (ie not in shock) if there was something wrong. But, it seems like a lot of testing and risk just for some peace of mind, especially with the false pos rate that sends you off to further testing for often no reason. I mean, if the testing to find out if it was a B or G was risky I'd just wait. Sort of seems like the same thing, considering I'd still have it even if it were "diagnosed" with something. So I just opted out. My last Dr did not even ask me if I wanted it or not, he either just did it, or just said "we're doing it" like I didn't have an option. I like these midwives better. Not to mention, added pointless cost in the medical system for extra tests, especially since tax payers are paying for mine...

I have declined both times. I don't believe in selective abortion or the complete accuracy of those tests. What's the point of worrying myself so early on, when there could be no problem at all. I mean how do you "really" prepare for that anyway.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Anyone else decline a quad screen? I don't think I would consent to an amnio anyway and it wouldn't change anything other than being prepared in the delivery room (ie not in shock) if there was something wrong. But, it seems like a lot of testing and risk just for some peace of mind, especially with the false pos rate that sends you off to further testing for often no reason. I mean, if the testing to find out if it was a B or G was risky I'd just wait. Sort of seems like the same thing, considering I'd still have it even if it were "diagnosed" with something. So I just opted out. My last Dr did not even ask me if I wanted it or not, he either just did it, or just said "we're doing it" like I didn't have an option. I like these midwives better. Not to mention, added pointless cost in the medical system for extra tests, especially since tax payers are paying for mine...

I do not do it. The test has a high rate of false positive. It would not change anything for us, we would never abort for any reason. It would not change my birth plans either.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    The nurse called, the blood test is positive with HCG level at 222. We are repeating the test tomorrow to make sure everything is rising. Please pray for me and my little one.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    The nurse called, the blood test is positive with HCG level at 222. We are repeating the test tomorrow to make sure everything is rising. Please pray for me and my little one.

fingers crossed!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options

WOW! I will be thinking of you.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I will. I hope everything goes well. Expect to give blood probably every other day for a week or so. They like to monitor the HCG levels. I am sure everything will be fine.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the quad screen either. I just figured it wasn't worth worry about, since I would never elect to terminate anyway.

I only get one ultrasound, which was at 19 weeks.

The baby is moving a TON. It is crazy how active it is, and the ultrasound lady said that she has been doing it for years, and has never seen one moving so much. It was litterally like it was on a hamster wheel, spinning all over the place.

I have my next Dr. appt on tomorrow, and am anxious to see where I am at, weight wise. I am a bit nervous about this past month.

On Saturday, we FINALLY open the envolope with the gender in it!!!!!! It has been a long two weeks waiting, but I think being able to open it with both of our families will make it worth while. Also, it is the day before my husband graduates, after being in school for 7 1/2 years (undergrad and grad school), so its like a huge present to him!!! I will let you know what we find out:bigsmile:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    I didn't do the quad screen either. I just figured it wasn't worth worry about, since I would never elect to terminate anyway.

I only get one ultrasound, which was at 19 weeks.

The baby is moving a TON. It is crazy how active it is, and the ultrasound lady said that she has been doing it for years, and has never seen one moving so much. It was litterally like it was on a hamster wheel, spinning all over the place.

I have my next Dr. appt on tomorrow, and am anxious to see where I am at, weight wise. I am a bit nervous about this past month.

On Saturday, we FINALLY open the envolope with the gender in it!!!!!! It has been a long two weeks waiting, but I think being able to open it with both of our families will make it worth while. Also, it is the day before my husband graduates, after being in school for 7 1/2 years (undergrad and grad school), so its like a huge present to him!!! I will let you know what we find out:bigsmile:

YEAAA! Enjoy that moment. I am proud of you for waiting.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    When did you all tell your work? My plan was to tell people at work after my 10 week apt. in Jan. however, now that morning sickness has moved in I am afraid I may have to tell them earlier. I am trying to hold on this week because I have two weeks off which will help. BUT throwing up in the teachers lounge this morning and not wanting to go home sick is going to be old news if this happens every day :ohwell:
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    When did you all tell your work? My plan was to tell people at work after my 10 week apt. in Jan. however, now that morning sickness has moved in I am afraid I may have to tell them earlier. I am trying to hold on this week because I have two weeks off which will help. BUT throwing up in the teachers lounge this morning and not wanting to go home sick is going to be old news if this happens every day :ohwell:

This time around I told @ 8 weeks once I saw my lil ones heart beat. Everyone has different opinions about it however since we are a small company and I do so much I like to give them as much heads up as possible, especially since I have never made it to 36 weeks for maternity leave which is when we are supposed to have it here in California. Also I sometimes have to do some physical work so with all the complications I have had in the past and with this current pregnancy it is easier for me if everyone knows and I can have some restrictions.

Besides having had 2 miscarriages in the past, it is much easier when the people around you know what is going on because I wouldn't of been able to explain why I was in tears at my desk or needing a week off. I do not believe that telling anyone is bad luck, whatever is going to happen will happen regardless of who knows.
  • rmkcw0519
    Options
    Hello everybody.....I'm new to this topic, I've been on the site before but left for a while and now I'm back. I'm 21 weeks and I'm just trying to maintain and gain gradually. My first pregnancy I gained about 60lbs and I don't want to go there again.

I could use some friends if anybody else needs another buddy.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Today I just walked 3 miles but it is done. I burned 324 calories. That puts me at 12 miles walked this week. Hoping to get at least 20 in.

Have a great day!
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I was going to wait until 12 weeks, but at 9 weeks we heard the babies heart beat, and I felt comfortable telling everyone. I didn't have a lot of MS, so it wasn't as hard not telling everyone. Although my male boss did say that he suspected somthing when I always had a ginger ale and saltines on my desk.

I told my boss on a Friday morning, and on my teams way to lunch (where I was going to tell them), I fell down the stairs and cracked the bone in my leg. Needless to say, everyone found out that afternoon. When I was at the hospital getting taken care of, my boss emailed me to see if he should tell everyone. I came back on Monday on crutches to lots of congratulations!!! Not the best way for everyone to find out:blushing:
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody.....I'm new to this topic, I've been on the site before but left for a while and now I'm back. I'm 21 weeks and I'm just trying to maintain and gain gradually. My first pregnancy I gained about 60lbs and I don't want to go there again.

I could use some friends if anybody else needs another buddy.

Welcome!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to tell my supervisor on January 4th. I'll be 12+4 (according to my dates, that is) then. My first OB appointment is January 3rd and I just want to be sure everything's alright before I say anything at work. I'm lucky that I'm off December 24-January 3 so I really just have to hold my tongue through next Thursday & then I'm in the clear.

It's such a relief that I have that time off & my appointment the day before I come back because I'm seriously starting to look a little pregnant (to me) at this point. Luckily I lost 80 pounds last year so right now people probably just think I'm getting fat again. I don't think any of my coworkers would actually have the balls to ask me if I'm pregnant over the next week. :laugh:

If I were super sick or having to take a lot of sick leave, I probably would have told earlier. I told my part-time job in my 5th week because I wanted to cut down from 2 days/week to 1 day since I've been so exhausted since then.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! So, today is
    an emotional day for me. It's my
    late grandfather's birthday he would
    have been 85, he passed away this
    past April. It's interesting how 2010
    has been the worst year and the
    best year for me. It's the year that
    I have ever lost someone so close
    to me and also the year we conceived.
    I hope to keep his memory alive, I want
    to teach my child everything there is to
    know about him.

Amanda: I know how you feel I had to
    endure the wait but i'm glad to hear that
    your HCG level proved that you are PG.
    People told me try not to worry but that
    was easier said than done for me. I will
    say a prayer for you and your LO. :flowerforyou:

As for my weight gain. I am soooo lost.
    In the doctors office I weighed in at 190
    but at home I am 185 so I don't know if
    I'm gaining or not. I need a new scale.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    know about him.

I was having the same problem so I just count my weigh in at the doctors office now. I use my own scale just to sneak a peek every now and then. I know what you mean about loss, My moms godfather who was like a grandpa to me passed in February of 2002 and then my uncle passed in August of 2002 at which time I was a few weeks preggo with what would have been my and my husbands first. We lost that baby in October so that was a very difficult year. We conceived once again the following July after 5 months of trying and have a wonderful 6 year old. We had no problems getting #2 I got pregnant the very first cycle, We got pregnant again this past January and I miscarried in March and in July we got preggo again and are having our healthy little girl.

We have given each of our children a middle name of someone in our family, my first born has my uncles name as his middle name, my second born son has my husbands grandpas name (he passed as well), and our daughter will have my husbands grandma's name as her middle name (she is still alive but very meaningful to us). Maybe if you have a son you can put your grandpa's name in there. :smile:
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

I plan to tell my work when I am 12-13 weeks- just so I am past the first trimester. I really want to tell them sooner but my dr has advised against it...
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I have been having weird symptoms lately- it seems too early! I am only going to be 6 weeks on Friday.

Please tell me if anyone has experienced similar this early.

- Occasional cramping (I have read this is completely normal)
    - Shortness of breath (walking up on 1 flight of stairs! It's awful. Probably because I am a big girl. It definately wasn't that bad before)
    - Swelling- ALREADY! It's not super bad, but I can definately feel it. In my hands, and also in my legs, particularly noticeable in my right leg. This one worries me slightly. It has flared up twice over the past week but tends to go away after a day or two...

My husband thinks it's all in my head!
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    know about him.

I was having the same problem so I just count my weigh in at the doctors office now. I use my own scale just to sneak a peek every now and then. I know what you mean about loss, My moms godfather who was like a grandpa to me passed in February of 2002 and then my uncle passed in August of 2002 at which time I was a few weeks preggo with what would have been my and my husbands first. We lost that baby in October so that was a very difficult year. We conceived once again the following July after 5 months of trying and have a wonderful 6 year old. We had no problems getting #2 I got pregnant the very first cycle, We got pregnant again this past January and I miscarried in March and in July we got preggo again and are having our healthy little girl.

We have given each of our children a middle name of someone in our family, my first born has my uncles name as his middle name, my second born son has my husbands grandpas name (he passed as well), and our daughter will have my husbands grandma's name as her middle name (she is still alive but very meaningful to us). Maybe if you have a son you can put your grandpa's name in there. :smile:

Yeah I would really like to add his name in
    w my child's name and if it's a girl I think I want
    to use my gma's name in there somewhere.
    Somehow that idea comforts me, thank you.