Like Minded Lushes - December

rjadams
rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
Hello and welcome to the thread that acknowledges alcohol. We like it. Most of us drink it. We struggle with the effect it has on our weight loss. We support each othere when we strive to control it. We support each other when we fail to control it.

This is a support zone. No judging,

This is. is a challenging time with the holidays quickly approaching and the stress levels rising.

We have been sharing this journey for several months. Please join us if you want to.

previous thread for info purposes only. - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131027-like-minded-lushes-november?page=15#posts-1883805

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    bump....
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Yesterday did not go as planned. I came home to DBF handing me a mug of hot cider and rum. Gosh, it was so good especially after sitting in traffic for an hour on my way home from work.

Monday = 0
    Tuesday = 1
    Wednesday = ??
  • rjadams
    well my yesterday did not go as planned either. I fell back into comfort mode and had a few vodkas. oh well what can I say. I am an uncontrollable lush:laugh:
    Monday = 0
    Tuesday = 3
    Wednesday = ??
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Hey Robin, as always thanks for starting this thread :)

Not only is it the holidays but my 47th birthday is approaching quickly and while I feel I am in the best shape of my life, this age thing always gets me a bit down. So far the last time I drank was on November 11 when I had those 2 glasses of wine for my friends birthday. Tonight is another friends birthday and I may go to the pub and toast him with a glass.

In other news: I ordered an Electronic Cigarette (vapor) and am going to get off the "real" ones tonight. I had quit for 10 years then 3 summers ago, well let's just say a weekend thing turned into a daily habit again. I have ordered 0mg and 6mg nicotine (vanilla flavored) and will mix up the cartridges so I don't know which is which and see how I do. I mainly smoke cuz I am bored, and I quit drinking so smoking was what I did in place (I drank out of boredom too).

Keep up the good work lushes! Cutting down on your drinking WILL help your weight loss :)
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Yesterday did not go as planned. I came home to DBF handing me a mug of hot cider and rum. Gosh, it was so good especially after sitting in traffic for an hour on my way home from work.

Monday = 0
    Tuesday = 1
    Wednesday = ??

aw man that sounds GOOD! did it have a cinnamon stick in it and everything?!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I had most of a bottle of wine last night. We had picked up a couple of bottles on our wineries limo tour last Friday. It was a Lemberger or something like that, it almost has a carbonation, but it is not too sweet, I really like it!
    not sure about tonight. Getting mani/pedis with a friend, then not sure if there is a plan for dinner or drinks.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Oh my goodness it's December already!
    Well apart from the glass of wine I allowed myself for my son's birthday I managed to stay alcohol free for November :bigsmile: My trade off for having that glass of wine was that instead of being able to drink from the 1st Dec I would extend it until the first weekend in December which luckily enough isn't that far behind. So I might just indulge in a glass or 2 of wine this weekend if I fancy it. I haven't noticed any difference in my weight, energy levels etc. whilst not drinking but then I am on maintenance calories so wouldn't really expect to lose although I have been eating under my calories more often due to the absence of alcohol. Anyway it's nice to know I can happily enough go without alcohol if I set my mind to it but equally I won't feel bad indulging in the odd glass or 2 or bottle in the future as there is no great difference if I don't drink.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Hello friends. Expect to see me next week.
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Hi everyone.

Robin, many thanks for the new thread.

Karen, really good luck with the quitting and hope the electronic cigarette helps.

Like Bobobbin I had a drink last night - a 47 mile drive took me five and a half hours so I really felt as though I needed one!!! Here in the UK we seem to fail miserably coping with a relatively small amount of snow. However, I did get home safely and I and my car were both in one piece so I do thank God for that. Today I woke up to several more inches of snow but it was no problem walking to the shops and the bank and, when I got home, I cleared the path in front of my house and in front of my 80 year old neighbour's. I saw my doctor for a regular check up and he was very impressed that I quit smoking in March, that I have lost over 12lbs and that I am (mainly) alcohol free during the week. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am keeping beautifully warm and have plenty of lovely meals in the freezer, so if I can't get out it is not a problem.

Hey, it's Wednesday, that means we are half way through the week and that much closer to the weekend for an alcoholic treat. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Pam :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Oh Hot Apple Cider! 'Tis the Season!

Well this is not my week either - decided to speed paint the living and dining rooms. When I do that I tend not to eat all day but since I'm too covered in paint to be seen in public I don't have to worry about driving and end up killing a bottle of wine. That's two days in a row.

Deck the Halls and all that!
  • rjadams
    In other news: I ordered an Electronic Cigarette (vapor) and am going to get off the "real" ones tonight. I had quit for 10 years then 3 summers ago, well let's just say a weekend thing turned into a daily habit again. I have ordered 0mg and 6mg nicotine (vanilla flavored) and will mix up the cartridges so I don't know which is which and see how I do. I mainly smoke cuz I am bored, and I quit drinking so smoking was what I did in place (I drank out of boredom too).

good luck. as you know I just celebrated my one year no smoke anniversary. DH has a vapor cigarette, its weird to see him smoke it indoors since we never ever smoke (or smoked) indoors. He keeps playing with the idea of quitting but he hasn't yet. (yep I quit even though I live with a smoker and we used to always smoke together. that was a challenge. I just keep hoping that my smoke freeness will motivate him.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Happy December lushes! to those of you who made it through November drink free, I salute you.

I've seen those electronic cigarettes but have not investigated them, think I will check it out. I had no idea they have flavors. Robin, does your husband still smoke regular cigarettes also or just the electronic one?

Pam, 5 and a half hours driving? I think I would have just pulled into a pub and called it a night. :drinker: Glad you got home safely and glad the doctor is happy with your progress.

No need to report that we had drinks last night - my big news will be when we DON'T have drinks. :embarassed:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    No need to report that we had drinks last night - my big news will be when we DON'T have drinks. :embarassed:

No need to post...we will wait for the earth to move...:laugh: LOL
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    Yvonne, that is awesome!

So, my "Sober(ish) November" is over. I celebrated by not having a drink last night, and who knows for tonight. DH and I need to pick our sober week for this month, and it's looking like it will be next week, because after that it's the last week of school before break (we're both teachers) and we always do a "end of quarter" happy hour with everyone, the following week is Christmas, and the week after that is New Year's. Geez, this month is going to fly by!!
  • rjadams
    Kim, Doug still smokes regular cigarettes. It seems like he is just playing around with the vapor one.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    :flowerforyou: props to all of you quitting the cigarettes, as well as cutting down on the alcohol! you are all fighters!

i admit that i am only doing the cutting down on the alcohol part! i have terrible allergies, etc. - was never a smoker.
    i'm going to try to wait until Friday to drink this week... :smile:

best of luck to everyone!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Hello December! So far I am booze free this month. Oh crap, it is only the 1st :tongue: . Wanted a glass of wine and a xanax last night but had some hot tea and a book instead.

This month should be interesting. Weekends should be pretty normal (not cocktail free). But I also have a Winter Solstice celebration, and CHristmas to get through. Luckily I am back on track with my food and exercise after a 3 week period of vacation, thanksgiving and general laziness. Hopping on the treadmill tonight.

I hope everyone has a great month. Keep on truckin ciggie quitters! You can do it!
  • I don't smoke all the time - but there is something so enjoyable about sitting up at the bar with my cocktail of choice, talking with friends and having a cigarette or 10.

I try to drink cocktails that are low calorie. Lucky for me, I love champagne and there are hardly any calories in it!

I'm sure it's not healthy to be counting down the days until I can drink again - which is T-minus 24 hours for the party!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Wanted a glass of wine and a xanax last night but had some hot tea and a book instead.

i know, right? i always have a huge memory lapse after that ~ so i've had to stop! :laugh: :tongue: :blushing:
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    Is it bad that I put a Xanax in my pill box with my nightly vitamins? :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.