Jealous of the Super Obese?

Options

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I quote Robin Williams: "That's like taking chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head."
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I agree with most posters that if you are able to you should eat well and exercise rather than have surgery. Given the possible complications it is meant only for people were the need (not just want) for weight loss is very great vs. the risk.

Surgery has saved lives for people who may have died (or be confined to their house/bed) without the surgery. For these people I'm very happy that it has given them a second chance. However, I can't imagine gaining lots of weight to qualify for surgery and being jealous of those who have this option. This is like being jealous of a cancer survivor because they lost weight during chemo.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I've had this surgery recommended to me, but what is the point? You still have to change your eating habits once the surgery is over! That plus you can never eat normally again. I would rather change my eating with my own willpower, at least I can indulge once in a while and eat like a normal adult and not an infant.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yikes... No way! I like watching those shows and everything but in no way does their weight loss look easy... They can drop so many pounds without really even doing anything, yeah.... BUT they lose 100 lbs and BARELY look any different....
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I'm not jealous! My husband had gastric bypass surgery over a year ago. Yes he has lost weight but at what cost? He has to be on a super strict vitamin regimen because his body no longer can process food correctly. I'm proud that I've lost 40+ pounds doing it the right way! Counting calories and good old cardio. And I feel great, he's ALWAYS tired!
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I use to think about gaining weight to have weight loss surgery rather than lose if the "correct way."

A friend of mine had the surgery, and initially lost a ton of weight. The problem is, anytime she overeats she running to the toilet because it's coming out of one or both ends. She had the lap-band removed and gained 1/2 of the weight she lost back in about 4 months.

My mother is severely, morbidly, obese (somewhere in the ballpark of 550lbs). She's been trying to get her insurance to pay for the surgery for years now. They're currently working on implementing a program so that she may finally be able to have it in 2016. She can barely walk from the car to the front of the store and back without having to stop. She can barely fit in the electronic cart/chairs in stores. Her knees hurt and finding clothes and shoes that fit is incredibly difficult.

So, while I'd love to take the "easy way" out and do get jealous when I see people who have lost a bunch of weight and had the excess skin removed in less than a year, I know it's not worth it.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

Have you ever had that thought?

Obviously I won't do that but it sounds pretty amazing to me.

No offense to those who get the surgery but I have WAY more respect for those who do it the "hard" way.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I met a lady this year that had the surgery and she has to eat M&M peanuts everyday because its one of the only things she can keep down. That is no life I truly was sad when she explained the regret she felt. It's not easy or a picnic!
  • Vanrunya
    Vanrunya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard about it you have to be on a strict diet after the surgery to get results and get your body the nutrients it needs.....It would be easier all around to just eat right from the get-go, instead of letting your weight get to the point where the surgery would even be an option. I think it sounds like it's basically a painful, expensive placebo--your mindset after the surgery is what makes it seem easier then trying to lose weight on your own.
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As someone who is classified as you said 'Super Obese' I kinda think your post is insane.

Other people have posted some of the problems that are associated with these surgeries. Did you know they remove the part of your stomach that breaks down and absorbs the nutrients from your foods? It also means that you are unable to break down certain medications, such as asprin..the patient can only take opiods for pains, headaches, etc. Not only do you risk gaining every bit of weight back, you are also at a higher risk of developing a pill addiction!

I too have seen obese people have these surgeries, only to gain every pound and more back. I think for some people, who are older and have tried EVERYTHING, as well as facing a multitude of other health problems with knees, high blood pressure, etc., this can be a life saving option.

For someone like you, be happy your biggest problem is laziness.
    For someone like me..I am young enough to overcome this weight problem before even considering that dangerous kind of surgery.
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also! The surgery is to remove a large portion, of the lower half of your stomach pouch.

You can naturally shrink your stomach! Surgery Free!
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty unfair for those who work really hard on their bodies and these obese people on the shows gets free services by top gastric bypass and plastic surgeons. And by putting in little to no effort on their part, they lose weight.

If you are that lazy and became that way, get your 650+ lbs fat *kitten* up and start walking up stairs and eat grapes...not sodas and a whole pizza for a snack!!

I'm sorry, i know there are certain circumstances where people gain weight (genetics, thyroid problems, loss of a family member). But overall, you control YOURSELF. Don't blame your problems on others.

Please don't hate, it's just my personal opinion and I am not attacking anyone
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

No, because what they have to endure physically and mentally both before and after that surgery I would never want. It takes a toll on their heath, their self esteem, and their wallet (I think, not sure if insurance covers that sort of thing). There's a lot more beneath the surface than the magic tv editing will show you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ohh Beaker!
    you're just soo weird :laugh:
    trying-to-understand-someones-behavior.jpg
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

No offense to those who get the surgery but I have WAY more respect for those who do it the "hard" way.

Meh no offense taken. I didn't get my surgery in order to gain "respect". I did it because it was the right decision for me.
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A friend who had the surgery told me she hasn't eaten a peanut butter cup in 5 years. If I could go 5 years without eating a candy bar, I wouldn't be overweight to begin with. So you can diet and exercise or you can have surgery, diet, & exercise.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty unfair for those who work really hard on their bodies and these obese people on the shows gets free services by top gastric bypass and plastic surgeons. And by putting in little to no effort on their part, they lose weight.

If you are that lazy and became that way, get your 650+ lbs fat *kitten* up and start walking up stairs and eat grapes...not sodas and a whole pizza for a snack!!

I'm sorry, i know there are certain circumstances where people gain weight (genetics, thyroid problems, loss of a family member). But overall, you control YOURSELF. Don't blame your problems on others.

That's ridiculous! Can you lift 650+ lbs? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. What makes you think someone who hasn't been working out could?
  • justlosingtheweight
    justlosingtheweight Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started out 316lbs (May 2014) and have lost 29lbs so far with no assistance from a doctor or anything. At the end of the day I'm the one who's allowed myself to get overweight therefore I should be the one to lose it with no gastric band.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Also! The surgery is to remove a large portion, of the lower half of your stomach pouch.

You can naturally shrink your stomach! Surgery Free!

You can't really shrink your stomach, but you can reduce your appetite.

I feel like people have a distorted view of what weight loss surgery really entails. People getting weight loss surgery covered is not something that's "unfair" or to be jealous of, any more than people getting any sort of medical procedure covered by government/insurance is unfair (of course, there's plenty to gripe about there, especially when it comes to government's role in health care, but those gripes are not WLS-specific). WLS isn't something to be jealous of - it's a last resort that permanently alters your body to force you to eat less food. It's neither easy nor desirable; you're permanently altering your body because you couldn't control your eating. Saying it's unfair and sounding jealous of someone had most of their stomach removed or otherwise restricted is just laughable to me. That's like being jealous of a smoker whose insurance covered a lung transplant, because he got to smoke and you had to undergo the oh-so-hard stress of not smoking. Poor baby.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm not jealous, just stating my opinion on what I think of it