Jealous of the Super Obese?

Options

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I know this is a spoof post because of the other post lmao.
    But.........I had a friend who got that surgery in 2009 (in my opinion she didn't need it) and she died. Post surgery infection. I wouldn't recommend anything so drastic to anyone unless it is the last resort.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

lol I'm obviously lazy or I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place. (and the tv makes it look quick and easy and who wouldn't want that? they don't show the pain or suffering, just look, I was fat and now I'm not and life is awesome)

Just in to point out that "of course I'm lazy, otherwise I wouldn't be fat" is a super messed up perspective. Most folks with weight problems aren't actually lazy, and there are a lottttt of factors that contribute to the weight problems you see in modern society. It's kind of gross to equate something like weight to an inherent personality flaw.

That being said, I've never envied those people, no. I've never been more than 50-ish pounds overweight, but that's been hell on earth enough. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be a hundred pounds or more over. I don't think all the quick fixes in the world would be worth the stigma or the pain or the damage to internal organs. Those folks have all my sympathy, but not a drop of my envy. I feel for them.

Well, I'm fat cuz I'm lazy. pure and simple. but I'm changing that :)
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just in to point out that "of course I'm lazy, otherwise I wouldn't be fat" is a super messed up perspective. Most folks with weight problems aren't actually lazy.

Since you're making a point without any data to back it up, I'll do the same.

Most people with weight problems are lazy for sure. (I'm one of them). They don't want to put in the time or effort in terms of information, exercise and control to prevent weight gain. They are also too lazy to take the time it takes to lose the excess weight they have gained.

It's much easier to make excuses about why we don't eat well, why we eat too much or fail to exercise. (aka Laziness). A healthy dose of personal accountability and effort can solve most people's weight problems

If there was reliable data on the subject, and I could bet my money on something, it would be that the minority of overweight people have an excuse other than laziness to blame for their physical health
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    I know this is a spoof post because of the other post lmao.
    But.........I had a friend who got that surgery in 2009 (in my opinion she didn't need it) and she died. Post surgery infection. I wouldn't recommend anything so drastic to anyone unless it is the last resort.

I am so sorry to hear that! I in no way meant to make light of the people who have the surgery or the complications.

But thanks for understanding it wasn't for serious ;)
  • sam1053
    sam1053 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, but maybe I can help you see what they don't show on T.V. My grandmother had gastric bypass surgery about two years ago. She still says she is glad that she did it, but after seeing what she goes through, I say no way! She literally has to spit all the time, because of stomach fluids that come up. She can't eat more than a few bites and then she has to stop and wait a while and then eat a few more. Every time she eats she starts to belch, over and over again. I love my grandma, but its disgusting. She now can't keep weight on because it is so uncomfortable for her to eat. The other day she had to lay in bed because she was throwing up. Her stomach can't handle anything really acidic and she can't eat lettuce anymore. She also takes about 20 pills a day. The only way I would ever recommend those surgeries is if the doctor said you would die without it.
  • phrazzledmom123
    phrazzledmom123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think that's a sick way of thinking about it. We are all here for support and motivation, no matter what we weigh. To tell the truth, I was that girl...who was very heavy..I've lost over 227lbs...and having that extra skin hanging around was not fun...the back pain, the infections under the belly...it wasn't easy. I just had abdominoplasty ( aka tummy tuck) and 2 hernia repairs done 2 weeks ago. I am grateful I do not have to put up with infections any more, or back pain...I will be swollen for 2-3 months, so the results are not immediate.

Before I had all this done, I changed my eating habits, no soda, bread, sugar, or alcohol, or flours....lots of veggies, protein..some fruits, but they are high in sugar. Sugar is sugar. I count every single thing that goes into my mouth, and I drink 120 oz of water a day. I now can get out and move around, walk, run....but it hasn't been easy.

Also, not every one gains weight by eating, some medical issues/ medicines make you gain weight, and your metabolism, and age, plays a big part too. I often feel angered by people who think that all a person has to do is move more, or eat less, the weight would just come off. For those of us who WERE bigger, it's not that easy. I had Lymph-edema...for those who don't know, its a condition that occurs when your lymphatic system is compromised, causing fluid retention, either in your arms or legs. I had it in my legs, moving around was painful. Now since losing the weight and having the excess skin removed, I will forever have saggy legs, that will not improve and have to wear compression stockings for support. So, before you go pointing fingers at someone who is heavier, and having to have skin removal, do your research, knowledge is power.

And lastly, not every qualifies for skin removal, there are certain criteria you have to meet per your Dr and insurance company. It really has to be medically necessary, and mine was. I am thankful to have my life back, where i can be active and lead a productive life...and I'm very happy!
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    Ok, I think that's a sick way of thinking about it. We are all here for support and motivation, no matter what we weigh. To tell the truth, I was that girl...who was very heavy..I've lost over 227lbs...and having that extra skin hanging around was not fun...the back pain, the infections under the belly...it wasn't easy. I just had abdominoplasty ( aka tummy tuck) and 2 hernia repairs done 2 weeks ago. I am grateful I do not have to put up with infections any more, or back pain...I will be swollen for 2-3 months, so the results are not immediate.

Before I had all this done, I changed my eating habits, no soda, bread, sugar, or alcohol, or flours....lots of veggies, protein..some fruits, but they are high in sugar. Sugar is sugar. I count every single thing that goes into my mouth, and I drink 120 oz of water a day. I now can get out and move around, walk, run....but it hasn't been easy.

Also, not every one gains weight by eating, some medical issues/ medicines make you gain weight, and your metabolism, and age, plays a big part too. I often feel angered by people who think that all a person has to do is move more, or eat less, the weight would just come off. For those of us who WERE bigger, it's not that easy. I had Lymph-edema...for those who don't know, its a condition that occurs when your lymphatic system is compromised, causing fluid retention, either in your arms or legs. I had it in my legs, moving around was painful. Now since losing the weight and having the excess skin removed, I will forever have saggy legs, that will not improve and have to wear compression stockings for support. So, before you go pointing fingers at someone who is heavier, and having to have skin removal, do your research, knowledge is power.

And lastly, not every qualifies for skin removal, there are certain criteria you have to meet per your Dr and insurance company. It really has to be medically necessary, and mine was. I am thankful to have my life back, where i can be active and lead a productive life...and I'm very happy!

I meant no offence and I am thrilled for you and your success!
  • mztmarie
    mztmarie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AmyG1982, I get it. I used to have the same fantasy about taking an antidepressant that had the side effect of anorexia. I figured I'd feel better and since I would never really give up food, I'd just get skinny without the effort. I know, intellectually, that there are no shortcuts, but that doesn't make me NOT want to find one. I don't think there's anyone who in some moment looked around and said, "Why me?" or wished for a different experience. I see no shame in that as long as you acknowledge it and keep doing what you know works for you. That's one of the real truths of our journey!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just in to point out that "of course I'm lazy, otherwise I wouldn't be fat" is a super messed up perspective. Most folks with weight problems aren't actually lazy.

Since you're making a point without any data to back it up, I'll do the same.

Most people with weight problems are lazy for sure. (I'm one of them). They don't want to put in the time or effort in terms of information, exercise and control to prevent weight gain.

It's much easier to make excuses about why we don't eat well, eat to much or fail to exercise. (aka Laziness).

If there was reliable data on the subject, and I could bet my money on something, it would be that the minority of overweight people have an excuse other than laziness to blame for their physical health

Let's maybe not bring up my "lack of data" when your only response is also anecdotal?

First of all, there is a slew of studies out there that strongly suggest genetic predisposition is a very, very important factor in obesity as well as any diseases that are (however tenuously) linked to obesity. This isn't to say that diet and lifestyle aren't also important factors, but baseline body composition and the tendency towards being under or over is largely determined by genetics.

"Overall this study illustrates an important principle: that what is genetically advantageous in one cultural or historic context may not be in another. In fact, Montminy does not view obesity as an aberration or a "disease". "Storing fat in adipose tissue is a normal response. A lot people are obese but do not develop type 2 diabetes," he says, suggesting that genes like CRTC3 could serve as diagnostic tools as well as drug targets. "A goal is to go to your doc and learn whether you have the risk factors to progress to diabetes."'

http://www.salk.edu/news/pressrelease_details.php?press_id=454

Secondly, between technological advances and the rapid, widespread change of American food culture in the past hundred years, we have seen a more dramatic shift in our health culture than we have since the agricultural revolution, possibly the onset of the Columbian Exchange. American subsidies to major agrobusinesses and the choice of those subsidies - largely to corn, soy and other products that can be mass produced for very little, then chemically altered to serve as "fillers" for other food products with little nutritional value - have changed food cost and availability dramatically, resulting in the least nutritionally-dense, most calorically-dense foods being the cheapest, most plentiful and easiest to obtain. The rate of obesity is generally *much* higher in communities stricken by poverty, and while part of this is definitely inadequate health education, the bigger problem is availability and affordability of resources. Food deserts are now one of the most reliable predictors of a neighborhood's obesity rate, suggesting a very pronounced class aspect to the obesity "epidemic," if you want to call it that.

"We find that school districts with higher percentages of populations located within food deserts are more likely to be structurally and economically disadvantaged. Net of these district-level structural and economic characteristics, we additionally find a positive relationship between increased rates of child overweight and the percentage of the district population residing in a food desert."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1549-0831.2009.tb00387.x/abstract;jsessionid=B1FFE57CFF0B1EE700933F55BD0AAD91.f01t01?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

I could keep going, but a: I need to get ready for work and b: despite asking for them, you're not going to read my sources anyway?

So, you know. Whatever.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    I definitely had those thoughts when I was a young teen and desperate to get the weight off - quick and easy. I get where OP is coming from. My mom got gastric bypass. At first I felt a little resentful that she was going to lose the weight "quick and easy," while I was still struggling the "hard" way. For years, I had followed my mother's yo-yo dieting pattern. She truly believed in quick fixes. We bonded through dieting, but now she was going solo. I felt abandoned in a sense.

Prior to this, sure I had thoughts of, "If only I weighed fifty pounds more. Then I could just get the surgery and the weight would come off easy and I won't have to put in any effort." As horrible as it is, I admit I used to pray to go into a coma, so I could wake up skinny. I was probably nine or ten though and being bullied about my weight daily, so that's why I felt so desperate. I had no knowledge of the reality of getting surgery or going into a coma, the suffering that would go along with either, I just saw the before and after pictures. Of course those were very sick thoughts and I had to learn that thinking like that was making my problems worse.

Fast forward five years - I've lost the weight and kept it off while my mother still struggles. I quickly learned that there was nothing to be resentful or jealous of.

My mom can only eat small portions, but that doesn't stop her from eating junk throughout the day. She can't have carbonated beverages, easily gets sick from eating too much, has had intense pain from the band being too tight, and the bit of weight she lost came back. The only thing that has changed for her is that she now suffers physical pain from eating. When we go out to eat, she can only eat a few bites, and the wrong types of foods make her sick in the bathroom for an hour. It did nothing to positively change her habits or address the root of the issue.

The reason you had that thought is because you're buying into the illusion presented on TV. Those thoughts you're having are exactally what the TV programmers are hoping to achieve - the warped idea that there is anything quick and easy about weight loss surgery. There isn't. It sounds like you could benefit from reading some horror stories and personal accounts of the suffering and struggle that comes with weight loss surgery.

I'm glad I've done it this way and actually changed my habits. I wouldn't want the extra skin either - I already have enough to deal with.

I've read quite a few on this post alone :s Honestly I wouldn't do it, it was just me buying into the illusion for a brief moment in time and wondering if others had that kind of thought ever too. I know I need to do it the hard way and I'm enjoying the journey.

Congrats on your long held success!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    OP, there are other surgeries i'm sure you can think of to make you feel better. Breast reduction or implants?
  • beccasaur387
    beccasaur387 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine having gastric bypass. The surgery itself then having to go on a special diet if you get that balloon that goes on your stomach. THEN the removal of excess skin. That's a lot going on for the body. On top of it all, you have wound care to take care of. I had 2 c-sections and that's plenty enough of surgery for me.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    AmyG1982, I get it. I used to have the same fantasy about taking an antidepressant that had the side effect of anorexia. I figured I'd feel better and since I would never really give up food, I'd just get skinny without the effort. I know, intellectually, that there are no shortcuts, but that doesn't make me NOT want to find one. I don't think there's anyone who in some moment looked around and said, "Why me?" or wished for a different experience. I see no shame in that as long as you acknowledge it and keep doing what you know works for you. That's one of the real truths of our journey!

Exactly!
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    OP, there are other surgeries i'm sure you can think of to make you feel better. Breast reduction or implants?

haha if you knew me you'd know my breasts are pretty amazing no need for reduction or implants. And also, thats a pretty shallow thing to say that a women should want to change her breasts to feel better about herself...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Dear moderator,

I'm name calling in my head right now. Will I be booted off the site for that?

Love,

Gogo
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nope not jealous in the slightest. For my goal I not only want to lose weight but once I reach my goal I want to start building muscle mass. Limiting the size of my stomach or making it less efficient at absorbing nutrients would actually hurt my goal. I don't want to go from fat to skinny fat.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    Dear moderator,

Love,

Gogo

Dear Gogo,

I find your profile pic to be sexually suggestive and inappropriate. you probably shouldn't be here anyway.

Love,
    Amy
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Dear moderator,

Love,

Gogo

Dear Gogo,

I find your profile pic to be sexually suggestive and inappropriate. you probably shouldn't be here anyway.

Love,
    Amy

Name calling, name calling, oooh, you should hear the one I'm calling now. Inflamatory!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Oh, and here's another one. Whew, that one was worse. (shoves soap in mouth)
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. like how i am jealous of people that don't have the ability/brain function to read. if i couldn't read, i wouldn't be able to comprehend the idiotic things people say.

it would save me so much time beating my head against the wall.