Jealous of the Super Obese?

Options
I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

Have you ever had that thought?

Obviously I won't do that but it sounds pretty amazing to me.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope... because I think for the most part it would suck... like really suck... but that's just my opinion based on seeing family members that nearly qualify.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Kinda a sick way to think...no?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

Hello laziness

Gaining extra weight to have multiple surgeries, is the "easy way"?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Have you ever actually known anyone who had weight loss surgery? You can NEVER eat normally again. You end up getting sick and having to leave a bar where you're having fun listening to music because of ONE drink. Too much fat in a meal can leave you debilitated for hours.

Is it worth altering your life, your happiness and your standard of living? Not to mention that most people who have that surgery end up gaining at least most of the weight back. I've known several people who had it and within two years were nearly back to their "before" weight and still had to restrict what and how much they ate every day.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Surgery isn't an easy way either.

As well, regardless of how you get thin, you have to learn new eating habits, otherwise you'll just gain the weight again.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had surgery. 1) It is super painful. 2) Since this person did not learn to eat properly although he lost weigh initially, it did come back - No thank you
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I would never ever do it. I am afraid of surgery, I would hate myself if I gained that weight and I know its not the right way to do it. I just found myself in a lazy moment having a pity party and thought, "that looks easier". lol.

I've known 1 girl who had the surgery but only as an acquaintance. She actually went to Mexico for the surgery cuz Drs here said she wasn't big enough to qualify. She looks amazing and talks about how it was the best decision ever. (I'm not close to her though so I'm sure there are downsides I'm not aware of). I've heard some horror stories on here tho that would be enough to scare me away from it if I ever truly decided thats what I wanted to do.

(but again, its not serious, I am going to do it the right way and I am happy to be getting healthier)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You might want to ponder as to why you have that mindset.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who wanted to amputate his leg rather than wait for the break to heal and do the rehab. This reminds me of that, only no one's doped up on painkillers.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who wanted to amputate his leg rather than wait for the break to heal and do the rehab.

Having had a severely broken wrist last year, I get this!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Hello laziness

Gaining extra weight to have multiple surgeries, is the "easy way"?

This. All. Day.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

lol I'm obviously lazy or I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place. (and the tv makes it look quick and easy and who wouldn't want that? they don't show the pain or suffering, just look, I was fat and now I'm not and life is awesome)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    My cousin had it done when she was 25 and lost about 200 pounds.

However, she ended up with a bowel obstruction and 3 infected surgical wounds during her recovery that yours truly got to pack and dress every day for two weeks. She puked all day, every day.

That was in 2004 and she has gained a decent amount of that weight back, but if all of the above sounds good to you, by all means, proceed with taking the "easy" way out.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm super proud of the weight i lost "The hard way" and am even more proud of the shape my body is taking right now.

No. Never.

And those people go through a lot. A whole lot. I'm pretty sure that this vain and lazy approach would disgust them as much as it does me.
  • Tisiwa
    Tisiwa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say jealous, nor am I lazy, but I understand, the desire to get the excess weight off.. its a challenge, and it's worth the journey however its still very interesting to think, of Weight lose with the intense internal fight. to eat good, work hard, and lose a quarter of a pound.

You're not alone, however the slow and steady surely wins the race.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

This.
    All day long.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Nope never had that thought because it's not the "easy way". I used to do the psychiatric evaluations for patients looking to get bariatric surgery. There is not anything easy about the whole process. It takes alot of work, on mind and body to recover after surgery and stick with the extremely restrictive diet they must follow. It's not fail-proof either. If they don't put in the work, they can get really sick, or stretch their stomachs out and undo all the work that was done.

Be grateful the need for surgery doesn't apply to you.