Jealous of the Super Obese?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be healthy and strong, thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, jealousy would be normal. I have a friend who weighed as much as I did, but he is about 1/2 a foot shorter than I am. He has cheated in everything he does. It wasnt a surprise to me that he cheated in losing weight either. He had gastric bypass surgery, and lost over 100 lbs. And it pisses me off to the point that I barley speak to him anymore.

I hate cheaters. And I hate that I have worked my *kitten* off to lose 93lbs so far. He did nothing but sit on the couch and lose weight.

Bitter, party of 1.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You do realize that the reason they qualify for gastric bypass surgery and all the extra care is because they have a host of serious medical issues that their obesity is a major contributing factor to. If they didn't get rid of that weight and fairly quickly, they would not live long or would spend the rest of their days hospitalized.

Extra weight is not healthy. A lot or extra weight is really not healthy. Morbid obesity is way beyond just not being healthy. It's being too heavy for your body to be able to function without something constantly being overloaded or breaking down.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My co-worker almost died from gastric bypass surgery complications. And she'll never be able to eat normally again.

So no. I'm not jealous in the slightest.

Ditto this. A co-worker of mine woke up to strong pains after gastric bypass surgery, which was normal according to the doctors. Only in her case the pancreas was leaking digestive fluids into the abdomin and her intestins were digested over several days before they realised what was happening. She almost died, had most of her bowels removed and is now not able to Work more than a few hours a day. She can never live a normal life, she is in pain and can not eat normal foods. It´s very scary. even if I can afford the skin-removal later on, I´m not sure I will risk it, since those surgeries also are very risky.... just saing... ;-)

Also there is no Insurance money, since she signed that the surgery was at her own responsability and risk.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

Have you ever had that thought?

Obviously I won't do that but it sounds pretty amazing to me.
    I have had the same thoughts watching these shows.... It doesn't mean I plan to gain more weight... It also doesn't mean I need to "examine" my thinking either. Thoughts are just that.... What you do with the thought is what matters..

Thank you! someone who gets what I was saying!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hello laziness

Gaining extra weight to have multiple surgeries, is the "easy way"?

QFT.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    Interesting post and interesting thoughts....I see what you are saying, but let me give you another perspective. I was the woman that qualified for gastric bypass, however my insurance did not cover it at the time so it was not a viable option for me economically. I wanted it bad, really bad, I did all of the research, looked at costs and at the time I worked for a hospital system so i knew I would even get a 20% discount because the doctor I had chosen was in network. I even had called HR to find out when they would cover the surgery, and it was going to be soon but I had no co-morbid conditions so I was out of luck apparently.

Anyway during this thought process which was over about a year, I saw many people with surgical complications of gastric bypass in all of it's forms, some people spent months in the ICU. Now most did very well, however some did not. So we have complications which are serious as a downfall. Also if your mindset does not change, you will regain the weight bypass or not. Many psychological implications as well and you actually have to change how you eat and drink and when you can drink.

Ask many on here who have had surgery, it is not a free pass, they have worked very hard to lose weight, you still have to work at it AND risk so many medical complications for the rest of your life. It is a blessing for many it is wise not to judge unless you have been there...just a thought

I urge you not to be jealous of people that qualify for Gastric bypass (remember I qualified for the surgery), be thankful you have less to lose.

Good luck on your journey, make it the best and healthiest journey possible!

Thank you and congrats on your hard won success!
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    Honestly, jealousy would be normal. I have a friend who weighed as much as I did, but he is about 1/2 a foot shorter than I am. He has cheated in everything he does. It wasnt a surprise to me that he cheated in losing weight either. He had gastric bypass surgery, and lost over 100 lbs. And it pisses me off to the point that I barley speak to him anymore.

I hate cheaters. And I hate that I have worked my *kitten* off to lose 93lbs so far. He did nothing but sit on the couch and lose weight.

Congrats to your success!!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The people that do these medical weight loss surgeries never develop the proper discipline to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The work you do in the gym and tracking food builds up your willpower, your drive, and your appreciation. Those people have ZERO appreciation for what has happened, they often get fat again, or they get extremely sick because they eat the same way they always did, now with a stomach that no longer works properly.

Fitness plans are 90% mental game. Only the people that can mentally overcome the hurdles stay forever successful.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think you are more jealous of the idea of them losing the weight and getting the skin removal surgery, not the idea of them actually being super obese. Being super big is not fun. I would not wish that on anyone.

As for the surgery...both my sisters had it. They have lost 178 and 200 pounds within the last year. I remember seeing both of them sitting around the table crying and clutching their stomachs because of the pain from drinking water too fast. Think about that...Taking a big swig of water and it feels like someone sucker punched you in the gut for an hour.

At the same time my sisters were losing weight, my brother lost the same amount...WITHOUT surgery. WITHOUT pills. WITHOUT protein shakes. He focused on healthy eating and exercise. And he didn't have to get cut open to do it.

You have to remember, anytime they have commercials for those weight loss products, there is always a disclaimer at the bottom: "Works best with exercise and a healthy diet"...well DUH! If you do just exercise and a healthy diet, you WILL lose weight. Stop giving money to the weight loss industry. They are making a killing off people.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lord no.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    I think you are more jealous of the idea of them losing the weight and getting the skin removal surgery, not the idea of them actually being super obese. Being super big is not fun. I would not wish that on anyone.

100% I was just looking for an easy out, jealous of the people who appeared to lose the weight effortlessly. having a pity party. Should have picked a better title to the post lol (though it does seem to be thought provoking haha)
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm not the least bit jealous. I was morbidly obese a year ago, when I joined here. I'm now just fat but buying my clothes in the regular stores. It simply took watching what I eat and doing some exercise. Those that do the surgery do weeks of liquid diets and vomiting. Plus, I hate to say this, when they finish their "diet" and lose the weight, most go back to the same old eating habits and pile it right back on with more in much less time than it took to lose it. I understand people get so bad that they must do this for survival, but if they did it by simply watching the intake and moving more, they would get the same results and learn the habits they need to continue.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    With surgery there can be complication. Why would anyone want to do that for themselves. Do it the healthy way. Harder but safer. You can do!!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Do not get gastric bypass unless you have at least 2, preferably 3 life-threatening complications as a result of your weight (eg: "brittle" hypertension, diabetes that defies control...)

A surgeon who does these operations told me that. Also that he thinks the weight loss is more a function of the diet the people are put on post-op and the interference medical supervision provides that thwarts enablers who bring excess calories to the bedridden.

There's a high rate of would dehiscence after those surgeries too--as with all abdominal surgeries on the obese--and sometimes pernicious anemia because the removed/banded/damaged area of stomach is the primary source of 'intrinsic factor' that allows people to absorb vitamin B12. Then there's something called "dumping", where contents entering the remaining stomach leave too soon, resulting in down-stream intestinal issues, nutrient absorption issues, and frequent diarrhea.

Those surgeries are cash-cows for surgery departments, generating more revenue than the cost of doing them, so there are a few unscrupulous types out there whose threshold for the surgery is low.

Some people get the surgeries and develop no complications. But you can't be sure ahead of time you will be one of those.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Most of the people you see on TV gain their weight back. Biggest Loser, Extreme Weight Loss...they all gain some back because once the cameras leave...they are left feeling empty...and what do empty spots need? They need filled.

TV shows only show you the easy stuff. It wouldnt be pretty TV to see them throwing up and crying in pain and not using the bathroom for 2 weeks at a time. Plus they pack all that into a neat little time frame. Weight loss is something that lasts alot longer than an hour or 2.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options

lol I'm obviously lazy or I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place. (and the tv makes it look quick and easy and who wouldn't want that? they don't show the pain or suffering, just look, I was fat and now I'm not and life is awesome)

Just in to point out that "of course I'm lazy, otherwise I wouldn't be fat" is a super messed up perspective. Most folks with weight problems aren't actually lazy, and there are a lottttt of factors that contribute to the weight problems you see in modern society. It's kind of gross to equate something like weight to an inherent personality flaw.

That being said, I've never envied those people, no. I've never been more than 50-ish pounds overweight, but that's been hell on earth enough. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be a hundred pounds or more over. I don't think all the quick fixes in the world would be worth the stigma or the pain or the damage to internal organs. Those folks have all my sympathy, but not a drop of my envy. I feel for them.
  • JennaD075
    JennaD075 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great Response!!

"[/quote] I have had the same thoughts watching these shows.... It doesn't mean I plan to gain more weight... It also doesn't mean I need to "examine" my thinking either. Thoughts are just that.... What you do with the thought is what matters.."
    [/quote]
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There is the GOOD and the BAD with this situation. There are people that are troubled with weight and is genetics. There are others that cant push themselves away for the double plate. There is a difference between them. I had a good friend that had this done because of genetics and other health repeated issues. HE did have to have this surgery, he ate right and also got a good mind set going in. After that he ended up still holding steady gain a little and lose a little. He is losing now because he has got it under control.
    Here is where my mind differs from having it. If you can get control and not lose the weight and that means gym and everything then have it. The ones that don't give a crap and continue to eat crap well to each his own. I have to say that I am having surgery also for my weight gain from my schooling. IT will be a long hard road to get it taken care of but I will somehow drive through it. I have the procedures if some are wondering on the steps that will be taken daily to get me there. This is called having a gym membership. Go to the gym and do cardio, lift heavy and cardio some more. The tools are weights and machines and more weights and machines to get the fat out of me. This will also require discipline where your eating regiment is balanced. You know the chart we all studied in school. Well there you go, I have given the tools to get healthy now people needs to have motivation and dedication.