Drunk rant about women

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's not a dress code requirement. I'm not sure we have a dress code. It's social pressure. All the women wear about that level and if you wear less, there's a million different quiet ways that people let you know that you're not looking your professional best.

There is no way I'd wear a sweatshirt to work on a normal day. One of the reasons they pay me the salary they do is so that I can present myself in a fashion that represents this. I do, however, wear barefoot-style ballet flats about once a week and get nothing but compliments.

This is likely personal preference more than anything, but I would never work a job where my salary was in any way connected to the way I dress or how much makeup I wear.

And that's fine. I happen to like working in a professional environment, even when the social rules get annoying.

But please don't assume because the people where you work care so much about that that the rest of the world does.

And I would bet those "million subtle cues" come from women far more than men, right?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Men don't look at the natural woman.
    Women accept the natural man.
    It's the way of the world, my friend.

Wear all the makeup you want or none at all. Don't blame men for it. If every woman stopped wearing makeup tomorrow, men and women would still have sex.

exactly +1000
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options

It's not a dress code requirement. I'm not sure we have a dress code. It's social pressure. All the women wear about that level and if you wear less, there's a million different quiet ways that people let you know that you're not looking your professional best.

There is no way I'd wear a sweatshirt to work on a normal day. One of the reasons they pay me the salary they do is so that I can present myself in a fashion that represents this. I do, however, wear barefoot-style ballet flats about once a week and get nothing but compliments.

This is likely personal preference more than anything, but I would never work a job where my salary was in any way connected to the way I dress or how much makeup I wear.

And that's fine. I happen to like working in a professional environment, even when the social rules get annoying.

Oh, I work in a professional environment. It's just the people in my office do not link professionalism with clothing choices. We like to be comfy. To each his own, yes?
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern California. We have em all - girls that wear an inch of makeup, 5 inch heels, fake boobs, fake tan - and we have the all naturals with flip flops and braless. I think guys will gravitate to what they're attracted to - so I feel like this is a non-point. If they want natural, they'll go with natural - same for the makeup-laden ladies.

Interesting for me - my ethnicity changes depending on my hair color and my tan. I was naturally tan with light brown/blondish hair in high school and I still have an olive tone but have dark hair now. Strangers ask me what my ethnicity is... about 2 or 3 times a month. I had a pimple on my forehead once and my ex (who was 6'8, blonde and blue-eyed) kept getting glares from a bunch of Indian guys for poaching on their turf.

I'm ok with lying about my looks though - even if it's from a sadly-placed pimple - makes it easy for my day job as spy.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Oh, I work in a professional environment. It's just the people in my office do not link professionalism with clothing choices. We like to be comfy. To each his own, yes?

the sad truth is that your always going to be judged on your appearence. This might not be immediately obivous, and indeed everyone in the office might explicitly say these things don't matter, but i'm not sure anyone can 100% devorce themselves from it subconsciously.

i work in IT and nearly everyone above a certain pay grade wears a shirt and tie. pretty much everyone below that is in a polo or tshirt. I work for the government, so its not like dressing up is going to help or hurt me, but i just feel out of place if i'm not in a tie.

To me, its just professionalism. when you show up to work looking like you couldn't care less, some might assume just that.

personally would not really put make up in the same realm as wearing professional close but what do i know, i'm not a woman
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

The change, from a reasonably shaped curvaceous woman, to an obese woman in 1.44: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STm9DrUT-Ps

She wasn't fooling anyone. It's obvious that dress was so tight she probably couldn't breathe.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think women do these things to be charlatans. I think they feel like they HAVE to... they feel that they have to look a certain way to get men and to compete with other women. I know this is idealistic of me, but I don't like it that people make life out to be a competition. I think some competition ( friendly ) is fine, but to the point that people take it is extreme. I guess I'm not competitive...

Anyway, I wish women didn't feel the need to do these things, but you know... if women embraced more natural beauty, society would call them "gross." We are conditioned to view women's beauty in an unrealistic light.

Personally, I don't do a lot to my appearance. I rarely wear make up... I tried wearing make up, but I felt like it wasn't for me and I got bored. I'd rather take a walk for my morning routine. I'm big into clothes and accessories, so I always look cute. But I have a very basic beauty routine.... just clean myself, wear fresh scents and look "clean" I guess.

I love wearing make up- not because I have to because I'm good at applying it and I think it makes me look good. If it's stage make up- or a neutral look- even a well done neutral fresh look can be done well with make up and make you look better.

I'm attractive without it. MY bf would like if I wore less- but I don't particularly care- I'm really effing good at applying it- and I like it.

So I wear it.

To bad so sad- don't assume it's because I believe I have to to get attention. I can do that just wearing a burlap sack with a pencil skirt. I actually honestly just you know- like dressing up and looking great.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options

the sad truth is that your always going to be judged on your appearence. This might not be immediately obivous, and indeed everyone in the office might explicitly say these things don't matter, but i'm not sure anyone can 100% devorce themselves from it subconsciously.

i work in IT and nearly everyone above a certain pay grade wears a shirt and tie. pretty much everyone below that is in a polo or tshirt. I work for the government, so its not like dressing up is going to help or hurt me, but i just feel out of place if i'm not in a tie.

To me, its just professionalism. when you show up to work looking like you couldn't care less, some might assume just that.

personally would not really put make up in the same realm as wearing professional close but what do i know, i'm not a woman

I work in IT as well. I highly doubt you would be able to categorize people in my office into pay grades based on how they are dressed. However, I work at a software company now. I used to work IT in a law firm, and there was an entirely different dress code and set of expectation there. They never included makeup, though.

No matter what the dress code at every office I have worked in, I have always been viewed in terms of the work I do, and treated accordingly, with no real regard to the way I dress.

I think that some of this might come down to attitude, also. So many people who are saying they dress nice because they don't feel right dressing sloppy, those people most likely carry themselves better in nicer clothing because it makes them feel more confident. Some people can carry themselves well in a sweatshirt and jeans, and their attitude affects how others perceive them and treat them.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

In an environment where you wear a tie, I'm going to wear a minimum of makeup. It's really very equivalent.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Women typically wear these types of things to because we have been told over and over again that it makes them attractive. I've heard this argument from my male friends, but then they all go out with the glamazon because they "like a woman who takes care of herself".

If men really want to break this trend, then they need to start paying more attention to the natural woman. The one not wearing makeup, not with a just-from-the-salon hairstyle, wearing a modest outfit and wearing flats. They are there at the clubs and bars, but they are usually not surrounded by a bunch of men.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would never use "unethical" to describe someone wearing spanx.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Meh... :indifferent: ... Women are going to dress however they want. Men are going to chase the ones they like. We all have different tastes. To each their own.

I thought my wife was gorgeous the day I met her in college and she was wearing normal jeans, t shirt, and sneakers. Neither of which was form fitting. And I don't think she had ay make-up on... But then again I am lucky that my wife knows there are occasions to dress up and when she does :love:
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Women typically wear these types of things to because we have been told over and over again that it makes them attractive. I've heard this argument from my male friends, but then they all go out with the glamazon because they "like a woman who takes care of herself".

If men really want to break this trend, then they need to start paying more attention to the natural woman. The one not wearing makeup, not with a just-from-the-salon hairstyle, wearing a modest outfit and wearing flats. They are there at the clubs and bars, but they are usually not surrounded by a bunch of men.

Not all men do this. The men you surround yourself with do.

Stop going to clubs and complaining about the guys you find there. It's like being at the zoo and being surprised by the smell.

Agree!
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Stop going to clubs and complaining about the guys you find there. It's like being at the zoo and being surprised by the smell.

Agree!

This mentality is wrong. You can't tell women where they are and are not allowed to go. The problem is not the fault of women so women are not responsible for changing their behavior. Asking women to stop going to clubs if they don't like how men treat them there is blaming the victim.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options

This mentality is wrong. You can't tell women where they are and are not allowed to go. The problem is not the fault of women so women are not responsible for changing their behavior. Asking women to stop going to clubs if they don't like how men treat them there is blaming the victim.

I don't think they're saying that she can't go to clubs. Just that she shouldn't complain about the kinds of men she meets there. Certain people partake in certain types of activities. People in clubs act differently towards others than, say, people in libraries.

This isn't victim blaming as there is no victim in this scenario.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My morning routine. shower, shave and brush my teeth. Then I get dressed (w a 'normal' bra...) comb my hair and add gel with my fingers to keep the uncontrollable thick, curly, waves controlled. Throw on my glasses and go... no make up, never have died my hair. The only other thing I do is get a pedicure every 8-12 weeks.

I remember years (I was in my 20's) ago I was a member of an all woman sales team and they were getting annual holiday photo done, they all had either been to the salon or were having this makeup party in the office before hand. I was working. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM offered me some form of makeup. "Just a little blush?", "What about some lipstick?" "Really, you don't want ANY makeup??" "Are you SURE???" - I started to think maybe they thought I was going to ruin the photo with my presence sans makeup.. it was annoying as %&*$!!!! In the end the photo was taken with me W/O makeup and you know what the camera didn't explode! :laugh:

Women are hard enough on other women. it's nice to see that some men (some that responded here) are okay with a woman sans makeup! I know my man loves the way I look and tells me all the time that he is glad I don't wear it and that I don't need it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Agree!

Nope. It's about the type of guy you're likely to find. A guy who hits on you in a club is usually just trying to find a partner before last call. You're going to meet somebody completely different if you take up flying airplanes as a hobby, for instance. Or hang out with your kid at the park.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Seriously. You guys need to live in the gray areas.

Does make-up cover up things that a woman feels self conscious about? probably. Does make-up = untrustworthy liars? Not exactly.

What women do with make-up is no different than a man being on his best behavior. He comes to the door to pick her up. Opens the car door. Uses utensils. Refrains from releasing gas at the table. Why? Because he wants to project the best image he can when dating starts. Both people understand that this is the top layer of the person you are getting to know. And the more you get to know him/her the more layers you see. This is not a lie people tell each other, because the woman in makeup and heels and the man in a nice suit and fresh haircut ARE parts of those people. They are what they feel are the best parts.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup and dress how I do because I love it

"oh will this attract people" never comes into my mind when I am getting ready

its all about me me me me me me and how I feel comfortable and happy

that being said I also have no problem leaving the house in zero makeup looking really ragged because who cares