which parent is the jerk in this instance

Options

Replies

• calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies. I feel like you're probably mom B, just b/c of the tone when explaining about the crying kid. I think if mom A were posting, she wouldn't have made the post sound so completely sympathetic to the crying kid.

Anyway, I think mom B's response was emotional and ridiculous. A simple "I can get note from the doc confirming they're gone" probably would have resolved it. From what I hear, lice a flipping hassle and I get their being concerned. Being the mom of a totally emotional and disappointed kid doesn't make you an expert on lice. I don't blame them for not just taking mom B's word for it, no matter how close they are. If I were mom A, I would have called our ped and gone with their advice. If that advice was to stay away for another week, that's that. Maybe that's what happened. Or maybe they just went with an uneducated decision, in which case mom B could have offered a doc note or something. Either way, I feel like mom B is butthurt b/c her kid is upset, and should probably apologize for the emotional response to family A.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    One is overreacting and one is passive aggressive.

yes
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i dont know a single person who has had lice, i remember inspections at school when i was young and there was always an announcement that we were lice free. considering a few people said lice are inevitable, are they really all that common in other areas?

I grew up in very crappy, poor neighborhoods, and had lice all the freaking time.
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    both are in the wrong, both overreacted. you (assuming you are b) overreacted to her rescheduling when she is concerned about spreading lice (valid concern) and the other parent overreacted to the lice situation when it was already dealt with, but how could she know 100% that there are no lice remaining on a hat, or clothes, or wherever else

This
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add that I asked because I genuinely feel like I handle it badly and overreacted just a smidge ;-). My husband was not very helpful cause he is lovely and supports me to a fault. I needed the opinions of people who don't know myself or my friend so I could perhaps look at the situation with different eyes.

I think it's a good idea that you asked :) Hope you got some useful answers :)
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm going with you being mom A.....

And I think mom A and husband A are overreacting - if you trust mom B with your kids at other times you should trust that shouldn't bring lice into your house when other kids are around - honestly I would have reacted the same way mom B did.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Mom B is a major B.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else's head suddenly itchy?

Totally.

I hate lice. But the party didn't need to be cancelled, and mom B didn't need to overreact.

First rule about lice: don't talk about lice.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i dont know a single person who has had lice, i remember inspections at school when i was young and there was always an announcement that we were lice free. considering a few people said lice are inevitable, are they really all that common in other areas?

I grew up in very crappy, poor neighborhoods, and had lice all the freaking time.
    They aren't inevitable. My daughter never got them.

I did, though. My mom's best friend had a neighbor who wasn't the best parent and sent her kids to my mom's friend's house to spend the night knowing they had lice (never bothered treating). So of course, the friend and her kids got it and we got it from them. We basically had a big de-licing party. I still remember the pain of that awful nit comb and I think I was 7 or 8 at the time.

They're pretty common, but not everyone gets them. And it isn't about how clean or dirty you are, either.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Family A is overly cautious. Family B is overly sensitive. This is not worth getting upset over. Just let it go. :flowerforyou:

This
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Mom B is over-reacting. Mom/Husband A is just trying to be on the safe side, just in case. But seems to be a little on the passive aggressive side.

I'm agree with this.
    Mom A are just being overly cautious - and they did say they were sorry and would try and make it up.

I think Mom B is being overly sensitive. Grow up.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    So OP... you have 3 pages worth of answers.

Which are you??
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Why did mom whichever, say anything in the first place? If the lice was gone and had been gone for 2 weeks, why even bring it up. Of course people are going to have an opinion about it, it's lice. LOL
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    May I ask if you are mom A or B? I promise no judgement, you can simply message me your answer.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else's head suddenly itchy?

+1

me too. ick.

+1

I still remember being 5 and one of my sisters catching it from a little league helmet and it spread to the rest of us 4 girls. I remember having to sit still for 8 hours (I had a ridiculous amount of hair for a 5 year old) while my Mom went through all my hair after she worked on the rest of my sisters. I understand the paranoia.
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mom B is overreacting. Your friend was gently honest with you, and you reacted very immaturely. It even sounds like you told your child the party was canceled because he has lice, and if that is the case you should be ashamed, because you are the one who made your child cry, not your friend. You could have just made other fun plans for that day to make it up to your kid.

Lice is not a serious health threat, but it is incredibly time consuming and annoying to deal with. I don't blame Mom A at all for not wanting you all over just 2 weeks after you had it. It can take months to get rid of, especially with more than one kid. Get over it. Overreactions like that are the reason people lie to get out of things.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

mom b And how can I not be hurt when I had to hold my kid while he cried himself to sleep asking my why you guys don't like him

Does anyone else find this part odd and far fetched…?

Seems like somebody could have done a better job explaining this to her son. Sounds like he has the over-reacting bug as well.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I also would have cancelled. Better safe than sorry. And they did make an attempt to reschedule, which is exactly what I would have done. That being said if it were my son that had the lice two weeks prior, I probably also would have been upset. Call your friend. We are parents and we all get a little nuts over protecting our children. I got into it with a friend over a TB scare. I called her and said I wanted to meet when she was cleared. I brought some beer we apologized to each other and it was done.

How is head lice even remotely comparable with TB? One is a harmless, albeit annoying, insect that can easily be killed with shampoo treatments from the pharmacy, the other is a killer disease of which there are several strains that are resistant to antibiotics.... I'm with you on the TB scare thing, but head lice are just an annoyance.

I agree ^

A friend of mine has a son who is 5 with autism and screams/cries every time his hair is washed. For her, lice was a huge deal in part because getting the treatment on her son's head was an epic battle. Much bigger deal than it is for most families. And still it wasn't THAT major.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I never had lice. I asked my husband and he never had it either. I think it's fairly common, but it's not like it's a rite of passage we all go through. Many kids get it, but probably not a majority.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Seems more like all parties are behaving like a big C.