tricep strength training for women

Options

Replies

• zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Alternating triceps kickbacks while in a plank. Do one set on one arm until fatigue, then the other.

ooooh that sounds brutal haha thank you! i'll give it a shot. I'm hoping to have some awesome before and afters for you all a few months down the line!
  • mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    tricep dips are really good! but as already pointed out, theres no such thing as spot reduction
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    I started with doing exercises from Shape and Fitness magazines and simple beginner exercises from classes I learned at the gym.

Fast forward 14 years and I am a powerlifter.

I got my arms in shape without ever venturing into powerlifting...with my body weight and dumbbells in 5, 8, 10, and 15 pound increments.

If she wants to start lifting seriously, awesome. Welcome to the cool kids club where you will benefit from increased strength, confidence, and metabolic benefits.

Otherwise, she doesn't need to kill an ant with an atom bomb to see tricep definition. OP: Lifting can be come an addiction and how you evolve is up to you. Getting your arms in better shape can really be pretty simple. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

hell yeah!! congrats to you! I've had pretty great successes with just the 5 pounders so far, so I'm happy to hear that someone else has had success as well
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    tricep dips are really good! but as already pointed out, theres no such thing as spot reduction

yeah from what I gather the tricep dips are great! thank you
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    resistance bands could be a good thing to try
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    resistance bands could be a good thing to try

ooh good idea I haven't even considered them really thank you :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    On point, my biggest reason I said "it's not for beginners" was more for safety reasons than anything else. If I was going to recommend something, I'd recommend 5x5, due to the progression scheme. I think that's the safest way to go. Yet i still can't see a beginner knowing how to get the bar out of a squat rack safety. Getting out under a bar during a bench press if you can't lift it(a roll out). I'd bet my money on the some of the people above who recommended Starting Strength don't even know what a roll out is. I don't recall the over head press being in Starting Strength...

So if I was going for a recommendation, it would be 5x5 for a compound movement based exercise. Also with the big compound movements, we have the issue of a persons goals and rep ranges, which is another story, stabilization, in NASM the fundamentals of resistance training starts with stabilization. There are no compound movements in this phase. After the stabilization phase is the strength phase, this is where compound movements can be found. The stabilization phase is about maximizing the signals from the brain to the muscles.

ETA: just watched one of your youtube videos. You probably have more experience lifting the the people who recommend Starting Strength, . You greatly defended Rippetoe, I am sure you have read his book and watched his videos more then the people above. You probably read his book a few times...

Did you notice your leaning on your right leg when you do the exercise with a dumbell that involves the squat? Also when you dead lift you're leaning forward?

Point in case. Also the barbells locked should be used. I see a ton of people make this mistake. As you know, as you lift the plates move a little. This movement will make the bar unsymmetrical. Sometimes I see like plates 1/8-1/4inch farther out then where it was placed. This issue can cause a big change in lever leading to imbalances and injuries.

We might have some agreement there, cause I would skip all others and go straight to recommending StrongLifts 5x5. It's free and does everything important. Other sources and books can be fine, but I find them to be too complex. If you are new just do StrongLifts and don't overthink it.

Of course a beginner isn't going to know how to do a bench correctly or squat correctly, they need to learn! Whatever their preferred learning method is, whether its the internet, a book or a PT, its the first thing they should learn. That is a lifting basic, its a fundamental. A person will learn stabilization, strength and muscular adaptation doing barbell exercises. They don't have to worry about rep ranges, StrongLifts has that covered.

Of course I don't have perfect form on my lifts. I am all the time still learning and researching. As I said before a person could squat and deadlift for decades and still not do them perfectly, they are very difficult to master. I have actually only been compound lifting for a little less than 1.5 years.

Yes you're right, I am also making a mountain out of a mole hill. Not many people have perfect form. I know I don't. I guess I'll get to the point directly. My concern with Starting Strength is that if I remember correctly, It was a moderate to heavy read. Some people have the attention span of a gnat, more now a days.Also if she does read it, she will see some big guys, some weird stuff, that just might intimidate her and put her off. Basically demotivate her. I just basically told her, "learn to lift" or something along those lines. There are many ways to learn, you can learn by watching, you don't necessarily need to read.

And honestly, people on this site, many of them want quick results, they come and they go. The experienced members are still here for a reason. They put in the time, they put in the work. A lot of people don't. A lot of time I have seen stuff I write on my wall advice/tips yet then I see a post of someone complaining about the issue I just addressed. They mostly want to be spoon fed. I doubt the OP is still even reading this discussion. I guess what I am trying to say, I don't think this will end well over all. Hopefully I am wrong, but from what I have seen, I doubt it.

Just trying to prevent them from being demotivated by that book. It's a good book to read for form.

The assumptions being made by you in this thread about people's intelligence and knowledge of basic barbell technique are offensive and downright laughable.

And just so you know, there are pictures of women doing the lifts in Rippetoe's book so the OP probably won't be scared off by a bunch of "big guys" doing "weird stuff". Rippetoe also uses women in many of his instructional videos.

OHP has its own chapter in SS. Maybe it's time you read the book again.

And everyone knows what a roll out is. It's not some special knowledge you can only learn from a trainer.

Perhaps in your future posts you should give people the benefit of the doubt. Most people don't take kindly to any advice that is offered with a condescending tone.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Alternating triceps kickbacks while in a plank. Do one set on one arm until fatigue, then the other.

ooooh that sounds brutal haha thank you! i'll give it a shot. I'm hoping to have some awesome before and afters for you all a few months down the line!

No one sees the problem here???

whats the problem now? I mentioned earlier I am working on losing weight with a calorie deficit and exercise. been at it for a year. just trying to see some definition in my arms too
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    These are great for your triceps...
    92YEC9f.gif

I can't stop watching it!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I see a couple. But if you haven't really done any strength training, I would just jump into tricep kickbacks while in a plank. I would suggest working on planks first and then maybe rows, not to mention just working on the actual form for the kickback if you haven't done it before.

But then again, I'd more suggest actually reading about strength training and learning basics and focusing on form instead of jumping into random exercises, as well as finding a complete body routine to follow that focuses more on compounds versus isolations (or includes isolations along with the compounds)...rather than just only doing tricep exercises.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

whats the problem now? I mentioned earlier I am working on losing weight with a calorie deficit and exercise. been at it for a year. just trying to see some definition in my arms too

You're missing the big picture. As I said previously, You need to work the entire body, not just your arms.

okay! i'll work out my whole body.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

I see a couple. But if you haven't really done any strength training, I would just jump into tricep kickbacks while in a plank. I would suggest working on planks first and then maybe rows, not to mention just working on the actual form for the kickback if you haven't done it before.

But then again, I'd more suggest actually reading about strength training and learning basics and focusing on form instead of jumping into random exercises, as well as finding a complete body routine to follow that focuses more on compounds versus isolations (or includes isolations along with the compounds)...rather than just only doing tricep exercises.

yeah ive been doing a few aerobic workout dvds that I use arm and leg weights with. not very high-intensity but I just wanted to find a tricep workout besides the overhead extension. im gonna play around with some of these ideas and see how it goes. I do intend on looking up the correct form but I'm only starting with 5 pound weights so I think i'll be alright
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I just went through the book again, I still stand by my claim. It's good for form, but that's about it. People don't take advice in general. Stay around on MFP for a while, you'll see where I am coming from about my "assumption" which are correct. MFP has 3M subscribed memembers. I would estimate less than 5% of them are active.

It's a book design to teach a beginner barbell lifter good form and has an accompanying programme that shows them how to schedule and progress the lifts.

That's why the book exists. I'm not sure what else you expect it to do?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    yeah ive been doing a few aerobic workout dvds that I use arm and leg weights with. not very high-intensity but I just wanted to find a tricep workout besides the overhead extension. im gonna play around with some of these ideas and see how it goes. I do intend on looking up the correct form but I'm only starting with 5 pound weights so I think i'll be alright

Good form is paramount. Whether you're punching someone in the face, running, doing a tricep kickback or deadlifting.

Learn it the right way from the get go.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Tricep kickbacks, skull crushers and DIPS (they won't help you spot reduce though)
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

Good form is paramount. Whether you're punching someone in the face, running, doing a tricep kickback or deadlifting.

Learn it the right way from the get go.

yeah i just said in the sentence before the bold- i do intend on looking up the correct form lol