What to wear to the gym?

Options
12346»

Replies

• SinCityFit
    Options
    What's wrong with the running shorts? You mean they are too short? Buy longer ones :)

I wear shorts that go to about the knee and a tank top. In spin I get so overheated I wore a t-shirt once and almost took it off to just the sports bra, it was that bad. I managed to keep it on, but never again. Then after spin comes bodypump.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the running shorts? You mean they are too short? Buy longer ones :)

I wear shorts that go to about the knee and a tank top. In spin I get so overheated I wore a t-shirt once and almost took it off to just the sports bra, it was that bad. I managed to keep it on, but never again. Then after spin comes bodypump.

I never wore a tank to any class except spin. Yeah it's a lesson that gets learned pretty quick :laugh: I'd wear a tank and tiny 4" bike shorts. The class I used to attend was done with the lights off, like yoga

And BodyPump after spin , oh my the ouchiness!! Your legs must have burned like hell at least the first couple times
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My gym does not allow tank tops and sports bras are not supposed to be visible. It seems like most sports bra straps are set fairly narrowly, though, (racerbacks) so I break that rule all the time because my tops are mostly v-necks or scoopnecks as I hate crew neck shirts.

<snip>

Do you go to the catholic gym?

My guess is Planet Fitness... but I could be wrong.

No, it's actually a university rec center. And not a conservative university either. They have a sign showing what types of tops are acceptable and everything. Weird, right? I used to go there 10 years ago and they allowed tank tops back then so who knows why not now.

Ooh maybe a scandal. That is weird though.

yeah that's a story i'd like to hear. why are 2014 tanks allowed but 2004 ones were?

Seems overly restrictive to the women patrons as tanks are an extremely common choice for gym wear

My husband and I were talking about it more last night. Now I am curious enough that I might ask them what the deal is the next time I go. I remembered that they have a graphic posted about it on their website: http://www2.kent.edu/recservices/memberships/images/t-shirt-policy_1.jpg

Super modest! Let me know if you find out. The policy does appear to apply to all genders

maybe it has to do with people leaving sweat behind? because you cant wear mesh either

but i do like how they specify "no shoulder revealing" . id be tempted to cut out a portion of the short where my boobs are and see if i got in trouble. in mean technically it would be following the rules and i can have a good seamstress i know make me something where the boobless shirt technically wouldnt be altered, but my shoulders wouldnt be showing, just the front of my bra

I laughed out loud! Please do this!

Sweat could have something to do with it! People getting their tinea all over the place. Ew

I saw one girl wearing capris with braiding up the side that showed skin up to her hips. Maybe it is a sweat thing but if it is, why not just put up signs saying to wipe things down. This has become a topic of frequent conversation in my house.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I wear an old pair of spandex bike shorts I've had a few years and a lose t-shirt long enough to cover my lower belly. I just brought a sports bra and a new danskin shirt in the last couple of weeks though. Walmart has a lot of their stuff on sale right now.
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One thing I don't wear to the gym - make up!!! (However, if you are there after work you are going to have some on.) Nothing scares me more than seeing a lady working up a good sweat and then having make up running down her face.

To protect the eyes of the innocent I wear fitted capri pants because I have long, pasty legs and feel like I'm showing way to much when I wear jogging shorts.

You will be fine!! That first step into the gym is the hardest:smile:
  • stephie_elise
    Options
    I wear compression leggings - either 3/4 length black with touches of fluoro pink or full length (so I don't have to shave my legs, lol!) black with touches of galaxy print - and an 'old-fashioned' t-shirt (???), usually a baggy one from a musical.

The only thing I can think of that would be wrong with running shorts is that they could be a bit revealing if you use certain pieces of equipment like the rowing machine or the adductor machine.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    OK, so after saying I can't get to the gym an offer for a free 1 month trial membership arrived at my door. I'm tempted to try it out but I don't know what is appropriate to wear. When I work out at home I just wear a pair of running shorts and sports bra UNDER a T shirt.
    I think the running shorts won't be a good idea at the gym for obvious reasons and the T-shirt might look a bit old fashioned. I don't want to show a lot of skin, no belly for sure. So anyone got any ideas?
    Wear what you're comfortable in.
    Shorts & a T-shirt is what I wear, though my shirt is one of those special wicking fabrics that dries fast so I'm not all icky sticky with sweat.
    Sometimes I've worn yoga-type pants, loose long knit elastic waist ones.
    And I'd like to make a few pair of leggings, both long & knee-length, now that I'm more comfortable with how I look. Even figured out how to draft a pattern!
  • chmal
    chmal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, sports bra and T-shirt and there are yoga pants that are inexpensive, they come in pants, knee length, capri length. As long as you are comfortable!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My gym does not allow tank tops and sports bras are not supposed to be visible. It seems like most sports bra straps are set fairly narrowly, though, (racerbacks) so I break that rule all the time because my tops are mostly v-necks or scoopnecks as I hate crew neck shirts.

<snip>

No, it's actually a university rec center. And not a conservative university either. They have a sign showing what types of tops are acceptable and everything. Weird, right? I used to go there 10 years ago and they allowed tank tops back then so who knows why not now.

Ooh maybe a scandal. That is weird though.

yeah that's a story i'd like to hear. why are 2014 tanks allowed but 2004 ones were?

Seems overly restrictive to the women patrons as tanks are an extremely common choice for gym wear

My husband and I were talking about it more last night. Now I am curious enough that I might ask them what the deal is the next time I go. I remembered that they have a graphic posted about it on their website: http://www2.kent.edu/recservices/memberships/images/t-shirt-policy_1.jpg

Super modest! Let me know if you find out. The policy does appear to apply to all genders

maybe it has to do with people leaving sweat behind? because you cant wear mesh either

but i do like how they specify "no shoulder revealing" . id be tempted to cut out a portion of the short where my boobs are and see if i got in trouble. in mean technically it would be following the rules and i can have a good seamstress i know make me something where the boobless shirt technically wouldnt be altered, but my shoulders wouldnt be showing, just the front of my bra

I laughed out loud! Please do this!

Sweat could have something to do with it! People getting their tinea all over the place. Ew

I saw one girl wearing capris with braiding up the side that showed skin up to her hips. Maybe it is a sweat thing but if it is, why not just put up signs saying to wipe things down. This has become a topic of frequent conversation in my house.
    Sweat soaks through clothes. I leave sweat behind whether I'm in shorts and a tank or pants and long sleeves. My gym requires people to wipe the equipment down (most do, but there are always the selfish *kitten* around). And my neck sweats, so unless they start requiring turtle necks, this policy makes no sense other than a modesty issue, which is dumb.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wear cropped leggings and a semi fitted Tshirt, trainers and sports bra (the most important piece of sports gear for woman in my opinion).... One kit is a black Tshirt, black & green leggings, the other kit is a pink Tshirt and black and pink leggings, my trainers are white, with blue and pink markings on them.

To be honest the only things I think that's need to to be taken into account are:

1) Safety - don't wear anything too baggy (it cought get caught up on things) or too tight (it could restrict your breathing or make you too hot).

2) Decency - Nothing too low cut or short because you'll draw attention and I'm guessing that's not what you're wanting to do (or you wouldn't be asking this question).

3) Comfort - wear what makes you feel comfortable because if not, you be paranoid the whole time you're working out and that will compromise your performance.

Other than that it's your call.... Oh and don't forget a towel, for yourself and to wipe the equipment down after you've been sweating on it.

xXx
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

Anyway, I wear black capri leggings or shorts and t-shirts. I like tops that are a bit roomy but if I'm going to be using an exercise ball or push ups or planks where my shirt is likely to hang down, I'll wear my regular size.

Are they thinking of crop tops rather than tank top that actual cover you up?

EDIT: No they mean tank tops going by the link posted. I only have 2 short sleeve tops, 3 long sleeve and the rest tank top style
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yoga pants or leggings

running shoes with thick socks (my feet sweat like a gorilla)

sports bra

comfortable tee or tank top (not skin tight, but not loose either
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am one of the women at the gym who matches. Running skirts, shorts, or Capris with brightly colored tops and headbands. In fall and winter, I have long sleeve dry wick warm up shirts. I buy most of my workout gear at Marshalls or TJ Maxx where you can find $60 running skirts for $15. However, sometimes my husband will treat me to an outfit from Lululemon. I choose to look nice when I workout because I often have to be seen in public afterwards, running kids around, errands, etc... Some days, I can't shower/change til I go to bed at night, so I'd rather be wearing something I look nice in and feel better about myself than crappy. My advice is for success, buy something you feel good wearing, you may find it motivating.

If you really work up a sweat when at they gym, which I do, it is not a good idea to stay in your gym bottoms all day long (tempting though it is) because it can promote yeast infections. Probably not a problem if you wear loose fitting bottoms and/or you aren't sweating that much. If I have to be out and about after the gym, I either shower and change there or I bring a change of undies and/or yoga pants. Let's just say I learned this the hard way. :)

I get most of my gear at TJ Maxx, too. Can't beat the price or styles!

Oh, and to answer the original OP question - I wear capri yoga pants, sports bra and a tank top. I do like to wear bright tops and my sneakers are hot pink! But I dress for comfort and for keeping everything in place and appropriate. Gym shorts might be a challenge if you do a lot of stretching, but are fine otherwise.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    i prefer to wear the dri fit stuff to lessen the friction/rubbing while doing a lot of cardio. And there are days where i look like i just rolled out of bed and some days i wear a matching outfit because it makes me feel good. Honestly, a cute workout outfit sometimes gives me motivation, especially when I feel comfortable in it
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So anyone got any ideas?

iebDVmj.jpg
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I usually wear mesh shorts or Umbros (soccer shorts), a t-shirt, and sports bra. I just ordered some long softball shorts and razorback workout tanks. I am looking forward to the shorts and tanks coming in because it has been quite a while since I bought new workout clothes. I suggest you work out in whatever you are most comfortable. The gym is not a fashion show for me. I wear what I think is going to help me get the exercise I need. I see many women wearing yoga pants and t-shirts or razorback tanks. I just don't have the hips/butt for yoga pants - I think I have too much lol. I don't like to wear pants when I work out. I like to work out in shorts, always have. Wear what works for you.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i get a lot of my workout stuff from thrift stores. you'd be surprised at the quality you can find for a steal! i buy tshirts and cut the neck off and give a kind of 80s cuteness to my workout gear.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    better yet, wear whatever the hell you want to. put your headphones in and ignore the world for an hour.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    bef2xf.jpg