I know you're a tourist because ....

Options

Replies

• jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    You expected warm weather in June in San Diego along the beaches. I can identify you by the shorts and tee-shirt that are your only clothes you brought from Chicago during our foggiest time of year.

You cannot pronounce La Jolla or Jacumba.

You have never heard of a fish taco, rainbow roll, or surf yoga.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    You can't pronounce Tohono O'odham
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    you don't order green chilli
    you think it's too hot
    you look weird when someone orders "Christmas "

Ha ha,, grew up there!!

How about .... you actually call other cans of soda by names other than coke,
    you are surprised to see snow
    you ask where the cactus are
    you ask how to get to Santa Fe, or Taos, or Elephant Butte (and pronounce it butt)
    you dont say eho, or aye when something-anything happens
    I could go on but....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i need this shirt for when i go into manhattan

a2f91a06fd0f1999df8f233a653f1c0d.jpg
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You walk (and drive) around with your nose in the air and your mouth open like turkeys in the rain.

You jump the fence to cross "the strip" where there is no crosswalk. (That fence is there for a reason, you idiot! Do you have a death wish??)

You ask when the bars close.

You aren't wearing a name badge or a uniform.

You think you're in Nev-AHH-da.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I'm laughing, but this one drives me nuts. I'm not even from Nevada. What is it with the deliberate and ridiculous mispronouncing of the western states? Makes my ears bleed. Nevada is the worst, but what about Oregon? My own home state isn't quite as bad, but I still have to remind people it ends in an O and not an aaaaaaaaaaaah.
    It makes me think of those 17th century traveling shows, and the stereotype they often used of the incredibly dense and ignorant white-man-from-the-city and his misadventures in the Wild West... with that weird concussed drawl on all the names of all the western states...
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    when someone says these ******* canadians, they're everywhere. (true story, I was working the cash when the guy made the comment and I'm thinking, you're in canada, what did you expect?)

you use a GPS down town

You wear a shirt that says I love Canada

Don't know the difference between a deer and an Elk
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    (In California)
    You don't say "80" or "the 80" but you say "interstate 80"
    You say "Frisco" and "Cali" and you think all beaches are warm.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You don't say PLEASE or THANK YOU ...... "get me a coke" ...... "**** off or ask politely"

You don't know how to queue.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I'm laughing, but this one drives me nuts. I'm not even from Nevada. What is it with the deliberate and ridiculous mispronouncing of the western states? Makes my ears bleed. Nevada is the worst, but what about Oregon? My own home state isn't quite as bad, but I still have to remind people it ends in an O and not an aaaaaaaaaaaah.
    It makes me think of those 17th century traveling shows, and the stereotype they often used of the incredibly dense and ignorant white-man-from-the-city and his misadventures in the Wild West... with that weird concussed drawl on all the names of all the western states...

I assure you it's not deliberate. Ridiculous that after 10 years of LIVING in a western state, I still could not pronounce Nevada or Oregon correctly? Perhaps. But deliberate? No.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You don't say PLEASE or THANK YOU ...... "get me a coke" ...... "**** off or ask politely"

You don't know how to queue.

Both of these TIMES ONE MILLION!!!!!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You come in a group of at least 3. You have a backpack, preferably on your tummy. You are loud. You don't queue. You don't say sorry when you actually hit people who happen to walk too close to you. You are excited. You have a map and have to make a plan for the expedition, although you are actually on Oxford Street.

this
    And you stand at top of steps from underground checking your map and blocking the exit for others
    Your massive back pack ( on your back) hits others in the face and you are oblivious- this happened to me yesterday in London on underground grrrr
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I assure you it's not deliberate. Ridiculous that after 10 years of LIVING in a western state, I still could not pronounce Nevada or Oregon correctly? Perhaps. But deliberate? No.

I think there's a difference, though, between honest mispronunciation and the intentional, 'ugly american' style mispronunciations (see the earlier post about 'Frisco' and 'Cali' for a prime example, lol). I live in a fairly touristy area, we get tourists all the time, from all over the world. Many of them have heavily-accented English (or barely-accented English, but trouble with the Spanish names left over from when this whole area was part of Spain and later Mexico) and have trouble pronouncing things. They're also usually friendly and clearly at least trying to pronounce things correctly. Or sometimes, legitimately can't pronounce something (I can't say the word 'linoleum' - I try, but it just doesn't work). They also ask a lot of questions and listen to the answers (we're a friendly city, we're happy to talk about local happenings). We love these tourists. They often find themselves being bought dinner or drinks. Some of them (too often, sadly, fellow Americans) and seem to think that it's everyone *else* that's saying it wrong, and it's that mispronunciation that's said very slowly and loudly, as if they're talking to someone who is deaf and stupid.... These are the same ones who come all this way to shop at Gap and eat at Hard Rock Cafe, hahaha, and fail to understand that people *live* here, and are not employees at their own personal amusement park. And then get mad when we don't conform to their preconceived notions, too (one of these tourists once had an absolute temper tantrum at me when he learned I don't ski. Seriously. And then he decided I was lying to him and it was some sort of scam to steal his money :laugh: ).
    To pick up other comments in this thread, it's like the difference between someone who's traveling to expand their horizons and see the world, and someone who's traveling just to sneer at other cultures or eat at McDonald's in another state/country.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You think my accent is funny. No you're in my state, you're the one with the accent.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You're driving a convertible mustang in Southern California. Nobody that has lived here for a reasonable amount of time actually owns a convertible mustang.

Hold on there, Little Missy. What the heck is wrong with my 1966 Mustang Convertible with Pony interior?
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You ask me about Dorothy, Toto, the munchkins, or ask if I click my heels to get home :huh:

Wait. People actually go to KANSAS as tourists?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You can't pronounce Tohono O'odham

Ha ha, you must be my neighbor. I forgot to put that one on my list the other day!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Man, I really HATE people who don't know how to say all the things I know how to say and do all the things I know how to do. It's like.......they're different! :devil:

Jerks.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

My dad has lived in Washington since 1972... Still calls it Worshington. Dads :smile:
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You drive like a moron on my beach and feed the seagulls.