What was the 1st thing you changed?

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    In this order:
    Stopped drinking 2 liters of root beer a day.
    Started going for a walk with my family.
    Started eating healthier (smaller portions and/or lower calorie options)
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    attitude... I didn't know it all, it wasn't working what I did in the past.. I stoped believing all the crap on the tv. etc..
  • layerstogo
    layerstogo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cut out soda and switched to sparkling water. Love the fizz!
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I gave up fizzy drinks, crisps, Chineese food, chipper food.
    Started walking more and joined this site and set myself a calorie goal
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Eating less, not eating until I was stuffed, not eating out of boredom.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Reading an article in a magazine lent to me by a friend. Myfitnesspal was mentioned and here I am!
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    Quit smoking..... Nasty things.
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    First was how I thought about myself. I was the only one who was going to be able to change me.
    Second goodbye soda and junk food like chips and fast food.
    Working out was never a problem. I love to do that.
    It was controlling portions that became the most important part of my weight loss journey. And discovering this site. This tracking everything has been amazing for making me accountable to me. Now I see exactly where I was going wrong and I have learned that you don't have to stop eating all your favorite foods. Just eat them and be under your calories for the day and fabulously, you'll still lose weight.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I started walking - 1/2mile each evening and slowly worked my way up from there.

Once I started to feel better physically (no real weight loss), I tried logging my food. When I logged that first day of my normal eating (2400 calories!), I immediately knew why I was obese. I tried the 1200cal/day route, but was miserable.

Then I ran across the TDEE - 20-25% and tried that. It worked and continues to work for me.

I didn't cut anything from my diet (still eat pretty much everything I used to eat, just less of it), but I have added some new staples (cous-cous, spinach instead of lettuce, more water, more chicken).
  • RachaelWoo
    Options
    Cut out fizzy drinks - now i can't stand them. All i drink now is water and, on occasion, fruit juice
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Another one for attitude, admitting their was a problem and that it required me to fix it. Others maybe involved but I needed to be committed to doing something different. Same old response, same old result.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    the belief that I couldn't do it.

This.

I had to change my mind before I could start changing my body.

This+++ and I had to humble myself. I was always fit, always in shape, now I had to completely start over from the bottom. I had to face the fact I was NOT the guy I used to be and then start small with the little bit of exercise I could do and work my way back up
  • fspre
    fspre Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My sugar intake!!!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options

How did you do this?
    This is my brick wall.

I can't say what did for that person but in general Belief in oneself often comes from success or achievements, even small ones. So if you don't believe in your ability just yet, you could increase your belief by setting yourself small but realistic goals and with each small achievement your belief in your ability should grow. Also if you have a setback and try to overcome, your belieft and your commitment will get stronger.

Usually once one has lost weight once, even if you pile it all back on, then know you can do it again. It may take several attempts to pull off the big coup that wouldn't be unusual in any endeavour in life really. Don't make your goals too difficult i.e. don't try to lose a lot in a short amount of time. Pick a fairly short amount of time say 2 or 3 months and pick a modest loss to aim for.
  • WendyPaulsen27
    Options
    My foods, eating healthier and so far MFP is helping me keep track of my calories. It is also helping me. Cause I have one of my sisters doing MFP also and it's helping her also. I feel it helps better when you have someone that you know doing this is. It keeps me motivated. :D
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My wife :-p
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options

This.

I had to change my mind before I could start changing my body.

Me too!

I had a few semi-successful runs prior to this one (day 73 today) but I never really believed I could do it and keep doing it.

This time is different. I'm loving this lifestyle change and I feel amazing!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In October 2008 after reaching my highest-ever weight, I bought some "cute" exercise appropriate clothes and a new pair of New Balance and started walking in my neighborhood. That was a major first step for me in what has turned out to be a very different life and a loss of 134 lb so far (including pre-MFP changes I made).
  • buzzardsrule
    buzzardsrule Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cutting out refined sugar, logging into MfP daily and regular exercise.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    The first thing I changed was the mindless munching of crap. Cookies, cake, ice cream. I have a serious sweet tooth. I have given it up almost 100% for now. When I get closer to maintenance it will slowly be added back in moderation where there was no moderation before.

The next thing that changed was my attitude. I can do this...I AM doing this...