so what are you reading lately??? any good?

Options

Replies

• blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    Currently reading The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion. AMAZING.
    Then again, the first book, The Rosie Project, was fantastic too.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer. It's like trying to jog through Jello. It's the first of a trilogy, and I doubt I will be reading 2 & 3. I'm 49% in, and thus far character development has been zilch, and all action has been implied. Boredboredboredboredbored.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just read the Sasha McCandless books by Melissa F Miller on kindle. I like to follow through a series and get to know the lead characters so these suited my Friday evening 'curl up with a book' slots!

And just brought the whole series of Cadfael by Ellis Peters - I've enjoyed the TV series - but not read the books so when they came up as a kindle daily deal I went for them for my next readathon!

I'll look into other suggestions from this thread for future reference.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Clive Barker's Imajica right now, that man sure knows how to tell a good fantasy/horror story. He writes scenes so well and with such wonderful description, I feel like I'm standing there watching it happen.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    How to listen to God by Charles F. stanley is a good quick read but with my time schedule I'm still finishing it up (a few months so far to read it)
    If your a christian or are curious or going through hell right now it might be available at the library….
  • saranicole9283
    Options
    I dunno if anyone has posted this yet, but I have just started reading Splintered by A.G. Howard. It's so good. If you like fairy tell, re-tellings and what not this is a good one for you!!!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I bought And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseni before my exams in June, and promised myself that I'd only read it if I passed. Two As, a B and a C later, I read it on holiday. BIG MISTAKE. I ended up finishing it on the plane back and bawling my eyes out! I got some really strange looks from the other passengers and flight attendants. I would really recommend this book, it's beautiful and clever and heart wrenching. I knew it would be good because A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author is my favourite book of all time, and The Kite Runner was great too. It's also educational. I've learnt a lot about Afghan history and I feel like I understand that part of the world so much better due to this man's three wonderful books.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a voracious reader and have about 12 books going simultaneously at all times and right now I am reading The Boys In The Boat by Daniel James Brown, about nine American boys from the University of Washington who transformed the sport of rowing when they competed in the 1936 Olympics. I'm having a little trouble getting into it, but everyone tells me it is very good so I haven't given up on it yet. I just finished I'll Be Seeing You by Suzanne Hayes & Loretta Nyhan. It was excellent. Happy to see so many reviews on books I'm not familiar with. I will have to check them out.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Re-reading the Crossfire series in anticipation for the 4th book.
  • Jessica11221
    Jessica11221 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just started 23 minutes in Hell by Bill Wiese. I picked it up at a thrift shop for $.50 so I thought I would give it a try.
  • RebekahAwesome1
    Options
    I'm re-reading Raymond E Feist series of books again, I'm on the third one in his collection Silverthorn. (I highly recommend his books if you enjoy fantasy/adventure, start with his first 'Magician: Apprentice' and second 'Magician: Master')
    ...I'm hooked!
  • kristiemarie33
    kristiemarie33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just Finished "Mistress" by James Patterson. A client (I am a hair stylist) brought it in for me to read and she was not impressed with it what so ever...but I really enjoyed it! It was FULL of action and there was never a dull moment. This was a one day read as I couldn't put it down :)

Also recently finished "Summers Child" by Diane Chamberlin. One of the best mystery book that I have read in a long time!

Cheers <3
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Accelerando by Charles Stross. I'm two thirds the way through this book. Its a strange read and very heavy on transhumanist concepts. The overarching narrative suffers a bit due to the characters going through enormous changes as time progresses. Not all that surprising, since it was supposedly composed from a set of short stories.

I want to read something creepy or mysterious next. Had a glut of hard sci-fi this past year and could do with a change.
    Options
    didn't read much lately
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just finished Diana Gabaldon's latest Outlander book "Written in My Own Heart's Blood", probably have to wait another 4 years for the next one, and I've just picked up Barbara Erskine' s "The Darkest Hour" which looks promising
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm a voracious reader and have about 12 books going simultaneously at all times and right now I am reading The Boys In The Boat by Daniel James Brown, about nine American boys from the University of Washington who transformed the sport of rowing when they competed in the 1936 Olympics. I'm having a little trouble getting into it, but everyone tells me it is very good so I haven't given up on it yet. I just finished I'll Be Seeing You by Suzanne Hayes & Loretta Nyhan. It was excellent. Happy to see so many reviews on books I'm not familiar with. I will have to check them out.

You are my spirit animal.
  • tatitaruiz9
    Options
    About a week ago I finished reading the "Jabes prayer".
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Dark Witch by Nora Roberts. It.is.so.good.
  • sunnydimowa
    sunnydimowa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am reading "Angels and demons" by Dan Brown and it`s amazing
  • LucyMummyOfTwo
    LucyMummyOfTwo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey - I found a book thread! You do not understand how happy this makes me! I read EVERY day!

I'm currently reading The Quick by Lauren Owen (A Dystopian Mystery Suspense), The Eternal War by Alex Scarrow (Teen Time Travel, basically - really good though!!), and The City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare, which was made in to a movie last year.

Does anyone here have a goodreads account and want to add me? Let me know and I will drop you a link to my page :)