Processed Sugar

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I think it is important, whether some people call it addiction or bad habits, that sugar is what people will get attached to the most, and it is the first thing people will look for when emotionally unstable. So, while it is true that moderation is key, sugar is probably the one food people can't control themselves about, and will be the cause of gaining extra weight and even developing health issues if not controlled in time.
    Plenty of people can and do.
    A lot of people also drink alcohol on occasion.

If those things are problems for a certain person, they should avoid them. Otherwise, enjoy in moderation and live a little.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of the people here would have an exploded head if they saw the offerings at an ultra marathon aid station. Gummy bears, pizza, REAL DEVIL COCA-COLA.

And we all know how fat and out of shape ultra marathoners are.

Considering the fact people had just ran a marathon and they needed to replenish their glucose levels for both energy and their muscles, it wouldn't surprise me... Now, keep that up at breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, late nigh snack and see what happens.
    What?

work-2782775-4-flat550x550075f-straw-man.jpg

Yes...what?

Nevermind that if the race is long enough...you do keep it up for breakfast, lunch and dinner (plus midnight snack, 3amsies, breakfast again, lunch again, and another dinner). Who ever said you should eat nothing but gummy bears all the time in everyday life?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I think it is important, whether some people call it addiction or bad habits, that sugar is what people will get attached to the most, and it is the first thing people will look for when emotionally unstable. So, while it is true that moderation is key, sugar is probably the one food people can't control themselves about, and will be the cause of gaining extra weight and even developing health issues if not controlled in time.
    I think what you probably mean is that YOU can't control yourself around sugar. That's not the case for all or even most people.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    who's people? I have no problem controlling myself around sugar and in fact I i don't know anyone who has such a problem. People get fat from eating too much of a variety of foods. I find your hatred for one food quite bizzare especially when you will consume it in many other forms. is it the white powder aspect that you have a problem with? You know you don't have to sniff it or anything
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of the people here would have an exploded head if they saw the offerings at an ultra marathon aid station. Gummy bears, pizza, REAL DEVIL COCA-COLA.

Considering the fact people had just ran a marathon and they needed to replenish their glucose levels for both energy and their muscles, it wouldn't surprise me... Now, keep that up at breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, late nigh snack and see what happens.
    What?

work-2782775-4-flat550x550075f-straw-man.jpg

Yes...what?

Nevermind that if the race is long enough...you do keep it up for breakfast, lunch and dinner (plus midnight snack, 3amsies, breakfast again, lunch again, and another dinner). Who ever said you should eat nothing but gummy bears all the time in everyday life?
    You can only eat gummy bears if they were free range and led a good life. None of these intensively farmed ones.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

So... my steak attachment... Where does that fit in?

For me it's salt. Salty salty salt. Frank's Red Hot on Tortilla Chips.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If what I say doesn't apply to you, may I ask why you @AliceDark assume I am the one having that issue?

And @_Zardoz_ hatred? Kind of ignorant of you, when my post has nothing to do with it. This whole thread has been about information, which you haven't provided any so far.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    You can only eat gummy bears if they were free range and led a good life. None of these intensively farmed ones.
    What if they are sugar free...?

I prefer to catch mine from the wild.

4uwyogj.gif

Full video here, because it's WAY funnier with sound: http://youtu.be/W0w5oGVwJ_Q
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I just realized something. WTF is wrong with me? I can barely afford produce. Really 'barely' is synonymous with can't really but try anyway. If every one of you happily munching on cookies, cake, and bread with corn syrup hidden in it start switching to produce prices will get even higher and I'll be totally screwed.

Sugar is good for you! White sugar is the best! Snort it! Cook it! Mainline it! Chow down! But stay away from my strawberries!
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just realized something. WTF is wrong with me? I can barely afford produce. Really 'barely' is synonymous with can't really but try anyway. If every one of you happily munching on cookies, cake, and bread with corn syrup hidden in it start switching to produce prices will get even higher and I'll be totally screwed.

Sugar is good for you! White sugar is the best! Snort it! Cook it! Mainline it! Chow down! But stay away from my strawberries!

:laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Well, right. That's why the word is "moderation"

But your original question was "is there ever a time when processed sugar is beneficial?"

The answer is clearly yes.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

But your original question was "is there ever a time when processed sugar is beneficial?"

Exactly. Sitting on the couch all day? A Snickers bar and a Coke is not the best choice. Running an ultra? Best thing you could do for yourself. The food isn't good or bad, its just a collection of nutrients that is a good or bad choice depending on the situation.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Here is what my "bag" looks like for a long cycling ride. (2) 90 Cal Coca-Cola cans - 50g, (4) Clif Bar Energy Bloks - 48 grams, and a couple Clif Bars - 40-50 grams, and Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix (3 servings in 2 bottles) - 60g.

I consume about 300-400 cals per hour and most of that is sugar. It gives me energy to fuel my ride which is definitely a nutritional benefit in my opinion.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If there was a situation where you would want to spike insulin, that would be a benefit, I guess. Whether or not you consider that a nutritional benefit is another story.

It's also a benefit to me if I want to meet my macros quickly and conveniently instead of gorging myself on foods that are low in processed sugar.

It's all about context and goals.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If there was a situation where you would want to spike insulin, that would be a benefit, I guess. Whether or not you consider that a nutritional benefit is another story.

It's also a benefit to me if I want to meet my macros quickly and conveniently instead of gorging myself on foods that are low in processed sugar.

Insulin spikes trigger muscle growth.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Insulin spikes trigger muscle growth.

Those are the lines along which I was thinking, knowing that insulin is anabolic. Beneficial? Completely subjective.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So... my steak attachment... Where does that fit in?

I had the same thought.

Also, I can control myself about sugar. You know how people can tell if they are controlling themselves about sugar? They can count calories and see if they are exceeding the calories they intended to eat because they eat more sugar than they meant to. I see no reason to preemptively decide that everyone will lose control due to sugar and cut it out.

Most people probably eat too much sugar for the same reason they eat too many calories from other foods--they don't actually watch what they eat and just go by what tastes good.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Molasses by itself is good for you, but when it's mixed with white processed sugar, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. You don't get enough of the molasses benefits in the brown sugar.

So a tablespoon of molasses mixed with brown sugar does not give you the same amount of nutrients as a tablespoon of molasses by itself?

Do you even math, brah?

I believe she's saying that there's no actual benefit from subbing brown sugar for white sugar in everything. In the amounts talked about, the little bits of extra stuff you would get from brown sugar would be minimal and thus not a reason to ditch white. I haven't run the comparison (I'm mostly annoyed by the focus on WHITE sugar for other reasons, namely the weird idea that brown is less processed), but it seems plausible.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Um, one can eat ice cream and also eat produce, you know.

My ice cream is usually more expensive than the produce too, but maybe that's because this is farm country or something. If I can ever find my ice cream maker, I might even make my own ice cream with produce. (I'll probably add a little sugar, though, because I'm wild that way.)

Sadly, in the winter the locally-grown produce isn't so available (because snow and all that) but produce still seems to be available at quite reasonable prices.

Besides, given that this is a weird cold summer, I'm still picking strawberries from my garden. Just getting far fewer tomatoes than usual.