Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options
I saw this story on Yahoo and it seems to be making the rounds on other news and entertainment sites. It started when Hugh posted an Instagram video deadlifting 400 pounds. I'm not sure if he did it more than once because I can't get the video to load on my phone.

At first I didn't think that was a big deal. My personal best for deadlifts is 450 and I've known plenty of people that can do 500 or better. However, I do give him some extra credit for doing that at his height. He's 6'2" and deadlifting can be tricky for taller people. I'm 5'8", so I'm at a better height for deadlifts. Some articles also pointed out that he's 46. My personal best was in my 30's and I haven't deadlifted in a while.

Although Jackman has disadvantages because of age and height, he does have a great coach and access to great nutrition.

I'm wondering if anyone on MFP has an opinion on this. I've seen a lot of dedicated and well educated lifters on this site.

If you don't hear from me, I'll be at the gym working on my deadlifts.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    He's actually done 460lbs for a rep. The 400lbs deadlift video he did 5 times I believe. Dude's legit. Raw and no straps. I'm betting he's not a natty though based on his age and his look since he's gotten much more muscular back in 2006.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was also struck by one of the comments on the Yahoo article. The comment was that only 1% of the people in the world can deadlift 400 pounds. I would think the number is higher than 1% but maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, I use straps. Deadlifts rip the heck out of my hands.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm betting he's not a natty .

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think you'd win that bet.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm betting he's not a natty .

IDEA Fitness member

I think you'd win that bet.....
    Yeah probably would. IMO, I don't think it matters what approach one takes to improve themselves as long as they don't become elitist about it.
    Personally, I think he looks great.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    He's absolutely natty. The guy doesn't have a six pack. You know a guy is using roids when he is massive AND he is shredded (i.e. body builders). That's a great accomplishment for any age and it is very attainable for people who don't use steroids.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    He's absolutely natty. The guy doesn't have a six pack. You know a guy is using roids when he is massive AND he is shredded (i.e. body builders). That's a great accomplishment for any age and it is very attainable for people who don't use steroids.

I will defer to the experts on this, but I agree that the guy looks fantastic (didn't know you needed steroids to have a six-pack though) at any age.

I certainly wouldn't knock the guy for not being natural, however, considering his primary appeal is usually based on looking like a comic book character.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize he was 6'2. I wouldn't say he was massive...the Rock is massive. Jack is shredded but not over the top.

I'd say he is right about at the edge of what someone might be able to get natty. I don't know if he is or isn't but he looks great at any age. Hats off to him.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options

yLp6dji.gif
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I was also struck by one of the comments on the Yahoo article. The comment was that only 1% of the people in the world can deadlift 400 pounds. I would think the number is higher than 1% but maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, I use straps. Deadlifts rip the heck out of my hands.

I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I saw the video earlier this morning, he did it for 4 reps. Sure it may not be the most weight anyone's pulled before but he's still a strong guy. He has disadvantages in terms of height and age, but he's worked up to a damn good weight, he had good form, no straps that I saw. Props to him.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    just watched the video - really impressive! and, Pan sounds like it's going to be pretty neat.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Questions please....
    What the hell is "natty" and why would lifting straps (I assume for your hands) be a bad thing?
    Help a fella out!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Questions please....
    What the hell is "natty" and why would lifting straps (I assume for your hands) be a bad thing?
    Help a fella out!
    i'm not very knowledgeable about lifting at all, but i would presume "natty" refers to natural lifting vs. using enhancers.

as far as lifting straps, no idea.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    As an actor, part of his job is to fit into the size/shape they want. As much as I'm not a fan of steroids, I think if it was acceptable (IMO) for anyone to use them, it would be actors like him.

to answer your question JG762, natty is short for "natural"... depending on organization, it could be as simple as no illegal steroids, or as strict as no creatine.

Straps assist in deadlifts, some consider it cheating, but then again some consider bench shirts as being perfectly acceptable.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, "Natty" now makes sense.
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Who is this Hugh Jackman? I need photographic evidence of his existence, please.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I thought that story was funny. If you go to watch a high school football team train you'll see more impressive lifts than that. My stepson is closing in on a 400lb deadlift at 13 years old and 140lbs.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Not sure if srs
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Not sure if srs

Lol I know. This thread is funny. I love hearing people talk about things that they obviously don't understand.
  • Lofteren
    Options

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.