Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    He's absolutely natty. The guy doesn't have a six pack. You know a guy is using roids when he is massive AND he is shredded (i.e. body builders). That's a great accomplishment for any age and it is very attainable for people who don't use steroids.
    Well I guess im done on MFP for the day, no one can possibly say something more retarded than this.

Keep reading.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    Straps assist in deadlifts, some consider it cheating, but then again some consider bench shirts as being perfectly acceptable.
    Lol, that's so true. Why do lifting organization recognize bench shirt use as legitimately a "raw" lift? What's even funnier is watching some of the guys that use it needing help to grasp the bar before benching.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You need to go do some research on powerlifting before making such ridiculous claims. There are exactly zero powerlifting federations that recognize a shirted bench press as raw. Bench shirts are in the equipped division, period, and even then straps aren't allowed on the deadlift. I'm not an equipped lifter, I compete raw, but I would challenge you to get under the amount of weight they do; even in a multiply shirt. If you haven't done it then keep your mouth shut because you don't know what you're talking about.

P.S. Most of those shirted bench pressers would out-lift you raw without breaking a sweat.
    Whoa now. I'm not dissing "raw" lifters. It's the other way around. I'm giving them props. I think you misunderstand my post. My point was why are shirted benching lifts considered legit, while if someone used straps on a deadlift not legit? If powerlifting or Olympic lifting organization want to be consistent, then everyone should lift raw (with the exception of belts). I've been to several meets and mentioned it's sometimes comical that shirts are so tight, guys can even lift up their arms to grab the bar.
    So kudos to all "raw" lifters. I think they represent power and strength much more legitimately than those who compete with shirts and suits.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Benching in a shirt is no less "legit" than benching raw. The numbers are inflated but that doesn't make the lifts garbage, just different. Just because you're in a squat suit doesn't make the 900 lbs on your back feel any lighter! Straps are considered cheating because they aren't even allowed in geared lifting. Besides, the ppl on mfp aren't strong enough that their grip should hold them back at all. Grip shouldn't become an issue until you are nearing a double bodyweight pull or more. To use straps when you have a weak pull already is just lazy. That's what chalk is for.
    So using a bench shirt or suit inflates the numbers and isn't cheating, but using straps (that would definitely inflate the numbers on deads) would be cheating. I don't see the logic.
    And I disagree about chalk. It doesn't increase muscle strength. It just keeps your hands from slipping.
    Obviously we have different views of what we consider "cheating". No prob. I respect your point of view. But you have no need to mock people don't power lift. If MFP people's grip shouldn't be an issue, then just hanging leg raises or pull ups should be a breeze since it's just their body weight, but there a lots of people that can't do it.
    Personally I use straps on deads and rows and am far from "lazy". I'm not that concerned about how much weight I move for 1-2 reps, but what I can do for 8-12 reps to encourage sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. If rowing 185lbs fatigues my forearms and grip out and I don't feel it in my back as much, but using straps I can do 225lbs and feel it in the back more, I'm using the straps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Thanks for the info, "Natty" now makes sense.
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.

Don't they count on the platform for competition?

You cannot use straps in PL meets, even in the equipped divisions.

LOL! Well since I'm not in high school anymore I don't make it a point to go around boasting about how much I can lift (even in high school it didn't impress anyone anyways).

If your so hardcore and you want to let one small muscle group dictate how much a very large muscle group gets trained, be my guest, I don't care one way or the other.

Ummm....Wha...??

tumblr_mor268umsr1qcga5ro1_500.gif
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wasn't selling it! I have no comment on his past trainers/use of enhancements, I couldn't care less either...currently he's not.
    That's what lots of people thought of Lance Armstrong too. Unless you're living with the guy 24/7 or doing blood/urine tests on him, don't see how you can confirm this.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Grip strength is important for plenty of lifts, and not hard to train, so why not just suck it up and improve it?
    For the same reason some people don't spend time doing flexibility exercises, yoga, Zumba or cardio. It's not that important to them to improve it. They would rather focus on stuff they like to do.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, "Natty" now makes sense.
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.

Don't they count on the platform for competition?

You cannot use straps in PL meets, even in the equipped divisions.

LOL! Well since I'm not in high school anymore I don't make it a point to go around boasting about how much I can lift (even in high school it didn't impress anyone anyways).

If your so hardcore and you want to let one small muscle group dictate how much a very large muscle group gets trained, be my guest, I don't care one way or the other.

What on earth are you on about?? Issues much?

She asked a question, I responded. I made no comment about anything about me or even my thoughts on straps.

Question: can't you use them on the platform for competitions

Answer: no

^^totes trying to make out I am hardcore or commenting on their usefulness or anything else your mind seems to be inferring.

WOW... I wasn't even referring to your comment, it was the one above you, about claiming to lift a certain amount... But I do apologize for reposting a quote in the wrong place. Please forgive me. It won't happen again. And please don't tell the internet police... :laugh:

LOL! But I do find it funny that because of that now I'm a troll and I have issues. :drinker:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I wasn't selling it! I have no comment on his past trainers/use of enhancements, I couldn't care less either...currently he's not.
    That's what lots of people thought of Lance Armstrong too. Unless you're living with the guy 24/7 or doing blood/urine tests on him, don't see how you can confirm this.

IDEA Fitness member

CvGExqe.gif
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Benching in a shirt is no less "legit" than benching raw. The numbers are inflated but that doesn't make the lifts garbage, just different. Just because you're in a squat suit doesn't make the 900 lbs on your back feel any lighter! Straps are considered cheating because they aren't even allowed in geared lifting. Besides, the ppl on mfp aren't strong enough that their grip should hold them back at all. Grip shouldn't become an issue until you are nearing a double bodyweight pull or more. To use straps when you have a weak pull already is just lazy. That's what chalk is for.

There are plenty of people on MFP who are pulling 2x bodyweight. Without straps. One I know of is actually competing today and will probably do exactly that. Also, you are a people and you are on MFP. And I am assuming you can pull 2x bodyweight so...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

There are plenty of people on MFP who are pulling 2x bodyweight. Without straps. One I know of is actually competing today and will probably do exactly that. Also, you are a people and you are on MFP. And I am assuming you can pull 2x bodyweight so...

Agreed. I know of quite a few, including myself.

However, to be clear I do not consider straps cheating - its just not comparable to a dead without them.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yo, Wolverine's got puny little stick legs though. I don't care if he deadlifts 4 plates, dude's legs look like he did a winter in Warsaw in the 30's.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yo, Wolverine's got puny little stick legs though. I don't care if he deadlifts 4 plates, dude's legs look like he did a winter in Warsaw in the 30's.

I wondered when someone was going to mention that - its been said in other threads.

First of all, shorts covers a lot of muscle development. However, he trains for a role he is playing. He has very little time to change appearance between movies. He runs around without a shirt on. He does not run around without pants (more's the pity).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's not like his deadlifts are from upper body strength.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Could be strongman. I think they allow them (not my area so i could be wrong).

Hopefully *this* comment will not be construed by some people to be trying to make out I am hardcore lol.:tongue:

Yes - straps are allowed in Strongman competitions.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *peeks around*

well now. this is the type of thread i like to stroll by and derail, but i see there's nothing left for me to do here. is Hugh Jackman on the juice? do deadlifts count if you use straps? is benching with a compression suit cheating? does every person have to act like they are in PL competitions? can you be using roids if you don't have abs? is grip strength the most important thing in all the world?

i like it. i like it a lot. it's the lord's work you're doing here people. carry on.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working with Hugh on Pan and know his trainer well.
    He's a natty and in person looks way less bulky than on the big screen which is notorious for adding weight to appearance.
    Sorry not buying it. In "Les Miserables" (right before filming Wolverine) he was 25lbs lighter and didn't have long to train for his next Wolverine stint. Putting on that much "lean muscle" with hardly any fat at all isn't going to happen in that short a time without some enhancement. Also Jackman's former trainer before this one (Mike Ryan) used to help run Gold's Gym in Venice which was notorious for steroid use with celebrities and body builders. Jackman also consulted with Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and if anyone thinks the Rock is a natty............................

Not hating on Jackman. I love the guy. I could care less if he got bigger with enhancement. IMO, the dude looks phenomenal right now.

IDEA Fitness member

Yesterday you didn't really know for sure, but today youre certain? Just how close are you and Mr Jackman getting? :bigsmile:
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Id imagine so - I can DL double my weight and Im not anywhere close to being a competitive lifter
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    A deadlift with straps is not a deadlift. It is a deadlift with straps.

Given that I bodybuild, I couldn't care less. When a 200 lb powerlifter has a better back than me from going strapless, then perhaps I'll try it out. Yet to see one though.

ALso, unlike what many people in this thread are saying, I don't think a strapped deadlift allows for higher weights on SINGLE rep maxes. I always had the same number with straps and with chalk on 1 rep maxes. Straps only help me with multiple reps.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

I wondered when someone was going to mention that - its been said in other threads.

First of all, shorts covers a lot of muscle development. However, he trains for a role he is playing. He has very little time to change appearance between movies. He runs around without a shirt on. He does not run around without pants (more's the pity).

Though there are some great butt shots of him....*eyes glaze over* Sorry, what were we talking about again??
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this calves always looked meh to me- even with great quads.

Shrug- only so much you can do- if you're pulling 400+ and still don't have great legs- I'm not sure how much more can be done. Whatever- still it's a nice thing to know people are lifting.

secondly
    Besides, the ppl on mfp aren't strong enough that their grip should hold them back at all.
    comethefckagain?

Grip shouldn't become an issue until you are nearing a double bodyweight pull or more. To use straps when you have a weak pull already is just lazy. That's what chalk is for.
    I know I'm not the strongest on this side and I'm pulling 305... that's 15 pounds shy of my body weight. (i'm a fat kid okay)
    I can pull that strapless- but I will use them when my grip gives out for higher volume and higher weight training. Guess I just have a weak pull already.
    Damn I'm lazy!

waitamaninute.... I think I already knew that.

sigh.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    So using a bench shirt or suit inflates the numbers and isn't cheating, but using straps (that would definitely inflate the numbers on deads) would be cheating. I don't see the logic.

It isn't cheating because it is allowed in the rules.

Best way to explain it to someone who doesn't understand is to compare it to running/biking. They kind have the same motion, and kinda do the same thing but you are able to achieve better numbers with equipment (a bike or a shirt) than without.

Really, raw and geared powerlifting are two different sports within the same heading.