Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• losingforgood120
    Options
    If a "natty" works too hard, gets too muscular/strong, people accuse him of being on steroids for his success...
    Seeing recent pictures of Hugh Jackman my first thought was I wonder if he used steroids as well. He's just made so much progress so quickly. I hope he hasn't. I know steroid use is prevalent and more and more accepted but I still hope some people would commit to living drug free. Maybe I'm just an idealist.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    Who is this Hugh Jackman? I need photographic evidence of his existence, please.

lol
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    19792690.jpg
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    he's a god. massively talented and talk about versatile. believable as Wolverine and Peter Allen. one of the best live performances I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-P77A9THEM
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, "Natty" now makes sense.
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.
    THIS! All of this. Saying you can DL X amount because you can do it with straps is almost, but not quite, as ridiculous as claiming you can bench X amount because you banged out a rep on the Smith Machine.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hugh Jackman can come and deadlift me if he likes!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    He's absolutely natty. The guy doesn't have a six pack. You know a guy is using roids when he is massive AND he is shredded (i.e. body builders). That's a great accomplishment for any age and it is very attainable for people who don't use steroids.
    Lol, there are lots of competitive bodybuilders in the "bulk" season that have little visible abs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Questions please....
    What the hell is "natty" and why would lifting straps (I assume for your hands) be a bad thing?
    Help a fella out!
    A "natty" is slang for a "natural" lifter. Straps aren't a bad thing, but they do help with lifting with more than one could without them. So if Jackman can lift that much without straps, he can definitely lift more with them. And "true" deadlifts aren't measured by using straps.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Straps assist in deadlifts, some consider it cheating, but then again some consider bench shirts as being perfectly acceptable.
    Lol, that's so true. Why do lifting organization recognize bench shirt use as legitimately a "raw" lift? What's even funnier is watching some of the guys that use it needing help to grasp the bar before benching.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I can believe that only 1% of the population cannot pull 400lb +...I mean, how many people in the world actually deadlift in the first place

He is not a powerlifter, and neither are his goals to be one (I assume), so its a strong lift.

Re straps - straps are fine and can have their place, but it =/= strapless deads.
  • JoJoLtd
    JoJoLtd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working with Hugh on Pan and know his trainer well.
    He's a natty and in person looks way less bulky than on the big screen which is notorious for adding weight to appearance.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Came to the thread hoping for pics of Hugh Jackman. I'm so disappointed in you all.

Tsk tsk. Welp, looks like I'm going to have to fix that:

hugh-jackman-workout.jpg

thewolverine.jpg

Hugh-Jackman-Workout-photos-910-7.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Zoe...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Zoe...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Just doing my job, Sara!!! :wink: :wink:
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    He's a natty and in person looks way less bulky than on the big screen which is notorious for adding weight to appearance.

Well, that's definitely a better connection than the rest of us have.....but would the trainer really tell you if he was using?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Zoe: that is, by far, the best post on here :smile:
  • JoJoLtd
    JoJoLtd Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Well, that's definitely a better connection than the rest of us have.....but would the trainer really tell you if he was using?

I'm sure he wouldn't...I'm just guessing that on his current regime with current trainer that he isn't.
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    Straps, belts, and whatever else help with a lift. To be able to do a certain weight without any of that is impressive because that means with those things, you can do even more.

I want to address something, someone said they don't do Deadlifts to increase grip strength. This is true for them, not for me. I prefer to have natural strength, I call it street strength. If I Deadlift 400 lbs, I want it to be real. I want to be able to do that anywhere at any time and not need to go get straps because my grip strength can't handle it. I'm not knocking it at all. We all have different goals in this. If my grip strength was weak and couldn't Deadlift 400 lbs, I wouldn't buy straps, I'd work on my grip strength with framers walks or something.

Hats off to Hugh, that's impressive and is my goal in this next year to DL 400 lbs.

I see his point - Im specifically deadlifting to strengthen my posterior chain, so I can understand people not wanting to be limited by grip strength. I rarely do sets of more than 5 when I go heavy so it isn't really an issue for me - so I don't use/need straps; but I can understand why folks who do use them don't want to be limited while waiting for grip strength to catch up.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

I'm sure he wouldn't...I'm just guessing that on his current regime with current trainer that he isn't.

I assume youre saying they are putting in serious work? I don't think anyone is questioning his work ethic - I don't think you make it to where he is without serious determination.

Hey, so who are you body-doubling for?