Dumb things heard at the gym

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I try to out grunt the guys to assert my dominance.

wait- you mean we aren't supposed to pee on the near by machines and then hump near by strangers who seem to be encroaching on our space.
    I accidentally broke a guy's leg that way once.

My husband was teaching me form for squats and deadlifts (he knows what he's doing, not to worry), and he told me, "And when you're done, you drop the weights as loudly as you can, pound your chest, and yell like Tarzan because THAT'S WHAT REAL MEN DO." He was kidding, of course, but I couldn't stop laughing.

He missed the "piss on the rack and hump other gym goers" part, though, so now I'm questioning his methods.

clearly he doesn't know anything.

Just break up.

I feel that Just Break Up is used so often here that it should just be shortened to JBU, and then we can all laugh at the new people who don't know what JBU means.

like DYELB??

I could totally get on board with that JBU. good idea.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I got told by a PT that girls shouldn't do Stronglifts 5x5 because it will make me bulk up and that that routine is for "serious body builders." He was nice and I let him give me the free little demo work out plan to try and get me to sign up with a PT. Didn't sign up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

wait- you mean we aren't supposed to pee on the near by machines and then hump near by strangers who seem to be encroaching on our space.

My husband was teaching me form for squats and deadlifts (he knows what he's doing, not to worry), and he told me, "And when you're done, you drop the weights as loudly as you can, pound your chest, and yell like Tarzan because THAT'S WHAT REAL MEN DO." He was kidding, of course, but I couldn't stop laughing.

He missed the "piss on the rack and hump other gym goers" part, though, so now I'm questioning his methods.

Just break up.

I feel that Just Break Up is used so often here that it should just be shortened to JBU, and then we can all laugh at the new people who don't know what JBU means.

like DYELB??

JaBU! The great voodoo saint!

DYEATGB?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Didn't sign up.

good girl. he's stupid- you win for being smart.

DYEATGB?

snicker... it's just going to get better from here. for reals.

HalfReppingForJesus
    HRFJ!!!!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Just break up.

like DYELB??

DYEATGB?

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    Options
    I got told by a PT that girls shouldn't do Stronglifts 5x5 because it will make me bulk up and that that routine is for "serious body builders." He was nice and I let him give me the free little demo work out plan to try and get me to sign up with a PT. Didn't sign up.

What I find suspect about that, is that lifting heavy **** and putting it down is empowering. Immediately undermining a woman's interest in doing that is essentially undermining their potential (increase in) empowerment. It's essentially saying, "Honey, you may got some great gams, but this iron is for men."

That's some borked up shizz.
    Essentially.
    Undermining.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Didn't sign up.

good girl. he's stupid- you win for being smart.

DYEATGB?

snicker... it's just going to get better from here. for reals.

HalfReppingForJesus
    HRFJ!!!!!!
    Praise Jesus and Pass the Ammunition! (Actual bumper sticker I've seen recently in front of a starbucks.)

Does a half rep count if you do it from the hole? lol.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I see a guy every day at the gym that bounces the bench press off his chest, leans back on lat pull downs, swings his curls up to name a few. We have nicknamed him bouncy Mcbouncster! haha

He also does the same weight every time and never makes progress, you would think he would realize that is because he cheats on every movement. Oh well, not my problem.
  • frayst
    frayst Posts: 62
    Options
    The dumbest thing I've heard at the gym?

HUUUUUUUURRRRRAAAAAGGHGHGHGHFDGHGHH. GGGGUUUUUURRHHHUURRRRRRAAAAAAGHHHH.
  • dbmata
    Options

Oh, you must have heard me wednesday when I was benching the bar.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Oh, you must have heard me wednesday when I was benching the bar.

linkquotes_zpscfa30b6b.jpg
  • ShrinkingKari
    ShrinkingKari Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    "I'm a beachbody coach and you should try shakeology"
    Did someone seriously say this to you? I use Beachbody programs and plan on getting more, but I would never tell someone to start drinking an overly expensive drink that I didn't know.
  • ShrinkingKari
    Options
    I am looking at joining an gym, and this video has shown me something not to waste my time on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc

Thank you to the gentleman who posted the other BroScienceLife video
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    BroScienceLife is epic...
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    how about annoying people in the gym?......this summer a college student in for the discounted rate....did 2 hours of cardio and talking on the phone most of the time....she would stride....stop and play with the phone and repeat this the whole entire time....the most annoying....she had head phones on and would be talking really loud at 0500 am.....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    how about annoying people in the gym?......this summer a college student in for the discounted rate....did 2 hours of cardio and talking on the phone most of the time....she would stride....stop and play with the phone and repeat this the whole entire time....the most annoying....she had head phones on and would be talking really loud at 0500 am.....

I just get the 5 ladies that talk...gossip... (yell) to each other over the sound of the machines.
  • ShrinkingKari
    Options
    I am very thankful that the only people that deal with while I am working out are my girls. I have been thinking of joining a gym, just don't know what I am supposed to look for.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I am very thankful that the only people that deal with while I am working out are my girls. I have been thinking of joining a gym, just don't know what I am supposed to look for.

i would either choose a program and then ask members or employee's if the gym is equiped for that (or evaluate yourself)

or choose the cheapest gym around you. and then balance what you need against what they have and how much cheaper they are then the next guy.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Also people putting on makeup before a workout.

Do you actually see them putting the make up on before they go workout or do you see them in the gym with make up on? When I used to workout in the afternoon at the gym where I worked guess what? I wore make up! Why? Because I didn't see a need to take it off before I exercised.

Agreed! Usually I workout after work with makeup on.

I sell Mary Kay. I love makeup. I love putting it on.

I can also go without and do not feel ashamed of my bare face.

What's really crappy is women bashing other women for something as trivial as choosing to wear makeup....at anytime.

Right? Unless I'm rubbing my Cover Girl all over the weight benches or something, my makeup has literally no effect on anyone else's workout. I'm so lazy about makeup; if I actually bother to put it on in the first place earlier that day, you can bet I'm not going to bother taking it off until my post-workout shower. My skin suffers no consequences and if it did it wouldn't be the business of anyone else working out.

I'm not doing it to impress anybody there. I'm not doing it because I lack the confidence to go otherwise. (But if I did, I still don't know how that would affect anyone else.) If people are really worried about the woman working out in makeup, they should probably be focusing more on their own workouts.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier around 220 pounds and I had already lost 140 pounds by then I went into a new gym and the owner was showing me around and pointed to this very fit lady going super hard on an elliptical machine and he said to me "one day you will be able to workout like that" so THAT day I worked out way harder than that girl was going, goes to prove that you cannot judge a book by its cover!

Had someone said this to me, I'd have walked right out and cancelled my membership.