Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand water on the floor. My poor kids struggle with this and have yet to figure out how much more peaceful and harmonious life will be if they just stand on the bath mat to dry off, don't splash water across the whole bathroom and/or clean up the floor when they are done.

I also cannot ride in a car with someone who doesn't use their windshield wipers with proper timing. I can admit that I'm a bit of a control freak about this one.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    People with oddly specific grammatical pet peeves who think they're ~*special snowflakes*~ for policing everyday interactions drive me batty. Seriously. I get it; I do my best with the English language. I use "Johnny and me" and "Johnny and I" correctly, I don't use the word "irregardless", I know my their/they're/there differences. But flipping a lid because someone on a message board used the wrong spelling of a word is so tacky and pointless. Did you understand what they were trying to say? HURRAH, the English language triumphs again, errors be damned!

The only time I point out someone else's grammatical mistakes is when they're being a **** about grammar, but making mistakes anyway.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Those stupid Indian astrology spam posts " black magic love advice varashnikanwhatever" that crop up every few days no matter how often the moderators take that junk down. You'd think the poster would get the idea that such nonsense is not allowed here.

OMG, QFT. :explode:

oh yeah...so weird
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Those stupid Indian astrology spam posts " black magic love advice varashnikanwhatever" that crop up every few days no matter how often the moderators take that junk down. You'd think the poster would get the idea that such nonsense is not allowed here.

OMG...THIS!!
  • FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can limit my list, but I'll name a few things that irk me.

- drivers who pull out in front and make no effort to accelerate to the speed limit, so instead I have to slow way down or rear-end them.

- misuses of "who" and "that."

- misuses of "eager" and "anxious."

- people who look at their phones during a movie at a movie theater.

- people who willfully disregard the "X items or less" signs at stores.

- Wal*Mart.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options

When folks complain about others writing sytles when their style is worse......hehe.

not that it matters, but just for the record: i wasnt complaining about writing styles at all, couldnt care less. it was purely about grammar. :)

oh and something else: people who seem to go through forums all day just to find random strangers they can pick a fight with and take the tiniest thing as a reason to do so.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    People saying something is the "most unique" - it's either unique or it's not!

Newspapers that continue a story to another page but break with a hyphenated word - why should I have to go to another page to finish the WORD?

Petty should be my middle name. :smile:
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    gramer nasis

:laugh: so write
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Empty containers being put back in the pantry/fridge.

OMG!!!!!! My Adult Husband does this!!!! Drives me NUTS especially when it is something I'm looking forward to. One of these days, I'm going to stoop to his level and get him back ;) Unfortunately, it probably won't bother him one bit :noway:
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I hate people.

Hear, hear.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    People that think Darrius Rucker is Hootie

Let's go back further to people who think Jethro Tull was the lead singer in a band:grumble:

And by the way, which one is Pink?
  • MLowe13
    MLowe13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    People
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Coming to work sick. If you are not feeling 100%; I should not have to pay you at 100%, let alone the chance of making others sick.

When you try to call in sick (for a legitimate illness) and your manager tells you to suck it up and get your butt into work, or else...
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    People with oddly specific grammatical pet peeves who think they're ~*special snowflakes*~ for policing everyday interactions drive me batty. Seriously. I get it; I do my best with the English language. I use "Johnny and me" and "Johnny and I" correctly, I don't use the word "irregardless", I know my their/they're/there differences. But flipping a lid because someone on a message board used the wrong spelling of a word is so tacky and pointless.

The only time I point out someone else's grammatical mistakes is when they're being a **** about grammar, but making mistakes anyway.

My pet peeve is with people who get annoyed with people with specific grammatical pet peeves who are annoyed with people who misuse grammar.

So, there!
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options

Let's go back further to people who think Jethro Tull was the lead singer in a band:grumble:

or Steely Dan....
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Negativity
  • christullos
    Options

And by the way, which one is Pink?

Well she really does go by the name Pink

Unless you are talking about Pink Floyd
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    People who "hashtag" everything.

And while we're at it, # is the flipping number sign or the pound sign! I can just see the confusion on kids faces when they come across a sign that says "We're #1!"

Grammar Nazi's who pick apart things on places like Facebook, Twitter and even here. I can understand if you're reading a book because yes you expect there to not be any grammatical errors (drives me bonkers when I catch those in books) but on Facebook or MFP? Give it a rest.

People who go to any length just to prove that they were right about something. News flash: I don't really care. By time you come back to me with all your facts I've pretty much forgotten the conversation.

To name a few:laugh:
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    People with oddly specific grammatical pet peeves who think they're ~*special snowflakes*~ for policing everyday interactions drive me batty. Seriously. I get it; I do my best with the English language. I use "Johnny and me" and "Johnny and I" correctly, I don't use the word "irregardless", I know my their/they're/there differences. But flipping a lid because someone on a message board used the wrong spelling of a word is so tacky and pointless.

My pet peeve is with people who get annoyed with people with specific grammatical pet peeves who are annoyed with people who misuse grammar.

So, there!

Oh yeah? Mine is pedantism! *sticks tongue out*