Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    People who use the word "ones". "One" implies a single object. Adding an "s" implies there is more than one. Unless you are referencing a bunch of number 1s, this makes no sense.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Country style decorating that includes stuffed animals wearing clothes.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/203692/4d8dfc4b71985_203692n.jpg
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    People that think Darrius Rucker is Hootie

lol yes

And Deborah Harry is Blondie

Yeah see things like that don't bother me because most conversations go something like:

'Did you hear the new song from Darius Rucker?"
    "Who?"
    "Hootie."
    "Oh. Yeah."

Or:

"My goodness Debbie Harry hasn't weathered well!"
    "Who?"
    "Blondie."
    "Oh I know right?"

My husband will talk about Brian Johnson from AC/DC and I have no clue who that is so he will say "AC/DC" which, when he says that I know exactly who he's talking about.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    ppl who type like they txt. I mean srsly?
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I really, really hate when people say "weary" (tired, exhausted) when they mean "wary" (cautious, suspicious).

I am wary that this cleanse will make me weary.
  • Yurippe
    Options
    Grammar Nazi's who pick apart things on places like Facebook, Twitter and even here. I can understand if you're reading a book because yes you expect there to not be any grammatical errors (drives me bonkers when I catch those in books) but on Facebook or MFP? Give it a rest.
    It's funny when they point out grammatical or spelling errors in someone's new tattoo. I think that is appropriate.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    Grammar Nazi's who pick apart things on places like Facebook, Twitter and even here. I can understand if you're reading a book because yes you expect there to not be any grammatical errors (drives me bonkers when I catch those in books) but on Facebook or MFP? Give it a rest.
    It's funny when they point out grammatical or spelling errors in someone's new tattoo. I think that is appropriate.

Yes, I do agree with that one.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    People who use the word "ones". "One" implies a single object. Adding an "s" implies there is more than one. Unless you are referencing a bunch of number 1s, this makes no sense.

hmm. can you not say that? for example when youre at the market asking for apples and the vendor asks you "which ones?".
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    - people that drive the speed limit in the passing lane - it is my business if I want to risk a ticket, you are not the police
    - lines, I won't line up for anything
    - jars (of mayo, peanut butter, etc) that have that little edge at the top that almost guarantees you throwing out product because you can't reach under it
    -posters on the forum that 'nope' the same sex person person above them, are you that desperate? (and yes, i do it back to them)
    -Vending Machines that dont accept a bill no matter how straight you make it
    -being on a date in a restaurant and getting a chunk of food stuck in your teeth, you can work it all you want with your tongue, it is not going anywhere. try not to make too many *kitten* facial expressions while you do
    -"Happy Birthday" - it is essentially saying "congratulations on not dying last year"
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    When you go to use liquid hand soup and someone has watered it down to make it last longer. UGH. GROSS.
  • Yurippe
    Options

srsly :tongue:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Empty containers being put back in the pantry/fridge.

and bags.....so many bags in the fridge thanks to my grandmother. I love her but really, why put empty things back in the fridge?

And other people in the house not rinsing their dishes and not putting them in the dishwasher

And then the only one I can't really do anything about: my cat howling because he's old and got confused about it being dark and "WHY AREN'T YOU PETTING ME?"
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    People that post pictures of their breakfast/lunch/dinner on Facebook

Rap

Teenagers

Drivers that don't know who to use their turn signals

YOLO, just sayin', baby bump, viral, epic, fail
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options

hmm. can you not say that? for example when youre at the market asking for apples and the vendor asks you "which ones?".

people say it all the time and it is considered acceptable. However, technically how can you have a plural of one? In this case, in my opinion, the vendor should ask "which apples?"

Oh, and drivers who throw cigarette butts out their car windows.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Waiting until 10ft before your turn to flip your turn signal on
    Using the letter "U" in place of "you"... It's NOT that hard to type 2 extra letters.
    Improper use of "your" and "you're", to/two/too, their/there/they're
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    The sound of people chewing food
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

people say it all the time and it is considered acceptable. However, technically how can you have a plural of one? In this case, in my opinion, the vendor should ask "which apples?"

What about this: "they would straggle home in ones and twos". That is acceptable. Or should it be "They would straggle home in singles and doubles""?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    We all have little things thst drive us batsh*t crazy, right. What are some things you detest?

I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi. I was raised by an English teacher, so I tend to correct others when they aren't grammatically correct (it's a sickness. I know). One of the things that makes me want to scream is:

I could care less

COULD? Could means that there's a possibility that your level of concern is elevated above zero. Therefore, it's possible for you to care less. The correct phraseology is :

I COULDN'T care less.
    COULDN'T means that it is impossible for you to have any less concern than you have currently. Zero fks given, if you will.

Am I just a sicko, or are there other nit-pickers afoot?

"Thst," is improperly spelled. Proper spelling would be, "that."

Consider your nit picked.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Slow people in the fast lane...that just won't get the *kitten* over...
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    People with oddly specific grammatical pet peeves who think they're ~*special snowflakes*~ for policing everyday interactions drive me batty. Seriously. I get it; I do my best with the English language. I use "Johnny and me" and "Johnny and I" correctly, I don't use the word "irregardless", I know my their/they're/there differences. But flipping a lid because someone on a message board used the wrong spelling of a word is so tacky and pointless.

The only time I point out someone else's grammatical mistakes is when they're being a **** about grammar, but making mistakes anyway.

My pet peeve is with people who get annoyed with people with specific grammatical pet peeves who are annoyed with people who misuse grammar.

So, there!

Oh yeah? Mine is pedantism! *sticks tongue out*

Pedantry.

:laugh: