GMOs, arsenic, toxins

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be like plants and learn how to live off of rain water and sunlight. Problem solved

That's it, I'm going paleo.

I thought you already had!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me if I can eat my GMO apples, watermelon, etc from my garden or not? I mean I prefer the GMO fruits and veggies because they grow bigger, taste better, and don't have so many seeds.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can someone tell me if I can eat my GMO apples, watermelon, etc from my garden or not? I mean I prefer the GMO fruits and veggies because they grow bigger, taste better, and don't have so many seeds.

nope, they gonna killz you, therefor you wasted all your moneyz buying the seeds, sucks to be you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    But what does "organic" mean?

It just means they cannot use synthetic pesticides (I believe fertilizer also, would have to check) and no GMO's for produce.

I still prefer growing my own also, because I use NO pesticide, fertilizer or chemical of any kind on my garden, which cannot be said about organic produce from the store.
    You know... you're just not worth this much effort. Go on believing propaganda.

Thanks! You've finally realized no one is going to change anyone's mind in this, or any thread for that matter. You go on doing the same.

My personal experience is that some people do change their beliefs when presented with information.

There is merit to exchanging information and/or posting studies and discussing them. There are often times, people reading debates/discussions who may not be posting, who also may benefit from the exchanges.

This is also why I believe it's important to separate opinion/conjecture from data.
  • RGv2
    Options

nope, they gonna killz you, therefor you wasted all your moneyz buying the seeds, sucks to be you!

Damn it..........

The apples in my tree have only been available for about 7-10 years so they really scared me.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    In for the lolz. Also I am a huge fan of my diet which is full of science and GMOS. #goteamscience
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Thanks! You've finally realized no one is going to change anyone's mind in this, or any thread for that matter. You go on doing the same.

I started to talk about HFCS, but decided not to bother digging.

Here's the thing though, high fructose corn syrup has a portion of its glucose converted to fructose by way of an enzyme. You want me to believe that the micronutrients of corn are, somehow, completely removed in this process. Where do they go?
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options

It just means they cannot use synthetic pesticides (I believe fertilizer also, would have to check) and no GMO's for produce.

I still prefer growing my own also, because I use NO pesticide, fertilizer or chemical of any kind on my garden, which cannot be said about organic produce from the store.

My personal experience is that some people do change their beliefs when presented with information.

There is merit to exchanging information and/or posting studies and discussing them. There are often times, people reading debates/discussions who may not be posting, who also may benefit from the exchanges.

This is also why I believe it's important to separate opinion/conjecture from data.

<
    I've changed my mind based on presented information many times. My favorite thing to do is debate because I either become more firm in my belief or I learn something new. I don't care about being wrong, I just want correct information.

@CrunchyDad, this is the second time I've seen you speaking on chemicals, and while I do think that you are trying to keep the peace and still say what you want to say, I would encourage you to really debate this out instead of backing out and saying "whatevs we all have our own beliefs" so that you can have better information.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    We feed our kids a lot of organic food - it is great that we all have been eating gmo's / pesticides / hormones, etc., for years and haven't died yet; but that isn't really a compelling reason to feed them these things. Given that, I think it is fine that other people don't feed their kids organic food, it doesn't mean they are bad parents, they just have a different philosophy about their value (usually based mostly on economics).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think the discussion about how America produces so much corn and other grains is interesting. I'm surprised no one mentioned how most of the corn America produces is not for human consumption. Most of it is for livestock, and some of it is for ethanol production.

Keep in mind that GMOs and pesticides are essential to keep quarantined pests and diseases at bay. Right now, the three main citrus producing states are battling diseases that affect their citrus trees (not the fruit, so don't freak out). Asian citrus psyllid is a real threat, and to keep it from destroying the entire grapefruit industry in Texas, regulations are put in place. This includes regular pesticide treatments.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I live right by Michigan State University which does a TON of crop research. Fear of GMO's and stuff has been going on for so long, I think it's just gone viral online. When my fiancée's mom was in college, people set fire to the plant research building (which tests different types of genetic modification). The professor then said it best: "The people who are protesting this have obviously never gone hungry."

Heck, the original corn doesn't even closely resemble the corn we eat off the cob. It's been genetically modified since long before it was called that!
  • RGv2
    Options
    We feed our kids a lot of organic food - it is great that we all have been eating gmo's / pesticides / hormones, etc., for years and haven't died yet; but that isn't really a compelling reason to feed them these things. Given that, I think it is fine that other people don't feed their kids organic food, it doesn't mean they are bad parents, they just have a different philosophy about their value (usually based mostly on economics).

Which organic foods aren't GMO's? I'd be careful answering with any fruits or vegetables.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

How do you keep the bugs from eating all your plants? Bugs eat EVERYTHING here.

ETA: This is an honest question as I've wanted to set up a little garden just to see if I can get anything to grow in our horrendous soil in our yard.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I live right by Michigan State University which does a TON of crop research. Fear of GMO's and stuff has been going on for so long, I think it's just gone viral online. When my fiancée's mom was in college, people set fire to the plant research building (which tests different types of genetic modification). The professor then said it best: "The people who are protesting this have obviously never gone hungry."

Heck, the original corn doesn't even closely resemble the corn we eat off the cob. It's been genetically modified since long before it was called that!

That is the most true statement I have ever heard about GMO's.

People do not realize that fruits and vegetables are genetically modified through hybridization. This strengthens crops against parasites and diseases.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Here's the thing though, high fructose corn syrup has a portion of its glucose converted to fructose by way of an enzyme. You want me to believe that the micronutrients of corn are, somehow, completely removed in this process. Where do they go?

Fair enough. I'm no chemist, nor an expert on how HFCS is created from corn. But, unless you can somehow discount this information as propagonda...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5600/2

At the end of the day, I just choose not to feed my family any extra chemicals, artificial ingredients, processed foods, GMOs etc. whether there is scientific evidence that says their harmful or not. I just don't see how it can be good, and there is not and never will be evidence to validate the safety of consuming something in small quantities over an entire lifetime.

What evidence is there that organic food won't kill you?

There is uncertainty in everything in life. EVERYTHING!

I'm pretty sure that if eating an apple with pesticide will not kill you, then eating an apple without pesticide won't kill you either o.O but I see your point. We really don't know anything for certain.

One thing I do know, is that if I drank a bottle of Roundup, I'd probably die, or at least be in the hospital. The same probably goes for most pesticides. Just because we ingest them at trace amounts, so we don't notice an immediate effect, doesn't mean that after decades of continuous ingestion it's not taking a toll on our bodies.

It's like saying, yes we know arsenic can kill you. But if you eat these muffins, they barely have enough arsenic to have an effect on you, so you won't notice. I still wouldn't eat those muffins.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Fair enough. I'm no chemist, nor an expert on how HFCS is created from corn. But, unless you can somehow discount this information as propagonda...

At the end of the day, I just choose not to feed my family any extra chemicals, artificial ingredients, processed foods, GMOs etc. whether there is scientific evidence that says their harmful or not. I just don't see how it can be good, and there is not and never will be evidence to validate the safety of consuming something in small quantities over an entire lifetime.

I'm pretty sure that if eating an apple with pesticide will not kill you, then eating an apple without pesticide won't kill you either o.O but I see your point. We really don't know anything for certain.

One thing I do know, is that if I drank a bottle of Roundup, I'd probably die, or at least be in the hospital. The same probably goes for most pesticides. Just because we ingest them at trace amounts, so we don't notice an immediate effect, doesn't mean that after decades of continuous ingestion it's not taking a toll on our bodies.

It's like saying, yes we know arsenic can kill you. But if you eat these muffins, they barely have enough arsenic to have an effect on you, so you won't notice. I still wouldn't eat those muffins.

Apples contain arsenic naturally. You would be consuming trace amounts either way.

Also, I want to point at that the nutrition panel you linked to does not specify all the micronutrients that I previously highlighted for you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    No one is really asking you to change your mind. And if organics are what you feel is appropriate for you and your family... no one really cares.

All we are asking is that you look a little deeper into the arguments against GMO's and HFCS, and ask yourself if they are really valid. Could there be something that your sources are leaving out?

Actually, the best way to look objectively at something is to question both sides of the argument.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

That is the most true statement I have ever heard about GMO's.

People do not realize that fruits and vegetables are genetically modified through hybridization. This strengthens crops against parasites and diseases.

Exactly. This was back in the early- to mid-70's I believe. Craziness.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Apples contain arsenic naturally. You would be consuming trace amounts either way.

Also, I want to point at that the nutrition panel you linked to does not specify all the micronutrients that I previously highlighted for you.

And formaldehyde. Which, coincidentally, is also found in most vaccines.