The "NEVER been thin/ in-shape" Club

Options

Replies

• Tina1128
    Options
    Well..... I so understand the difficulty in defining that goal weight. There's "goal weight" and then there's "dream weight!"

For me, right now, goal weight is just to have my weight start with a 1. Ah One-derland .

I think a big reason for the inability to pick a lower goal weight as well is that I don't have the confidence to pick a weight that is mentally still unattainable. My imagination -- or visualization -- just doesn't go there yet. And... maybe a little afraid of jinxing myself...setting myself up for disappointment.......

As I build confidence that I am conquering this battle for the last time, then maybe then I can start believing that I could be in the...130's.. the **gasp** 120's??? But for now 199 looks damn good!

January 2010 -- 289 lbs
    MFP SW Nov 2010 -- 262 lbs (where've I've pretty much been for the last 2 years except for the 27 lbs I gained last fall)
    CW Dec 18 -- 245 lbs

Lowest adult weight 140 ish -- 1994-96
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    LoL
    This is very much me!
    The highest number I remember seeing on the scale was 103 Kg. Where I have usually settled however used to be about 95 - 97 Kg and that's what I think of as my starting weight. Now I'm at about 78 Kg and in great shape! There are no words to describe how that feels after a lifetime of being overweight. I am stronger, healthier, more endurable, more energetic, and more self confident than I have ever been in my life!

I didn't look into a mirror and guess the goal weight in the beginning. I pulled a BMI chart and decided that the center of the healthy weight range was to be the preliminary goal. It was about 73 - 75 Kg, if memory serves me right. I'm really close to that now! My ultimate goal with weight loss, however, is to get to about 10% body fat and then start building some muscle. I'm not quite sure, what weight that would be though..

Ps.
    For those who can't read kilograms: :wink:
    103 Kg --> 227 lbs
    97 Kg ---> 214 lbs
    78 Kg ---> 172 lbs (my current weight :drinker: )
    73 Kg ---> 161 lbs
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was just checking in. I am new and not active in many threads, so i thought I'd subject you all my aimless thoughts. Bear with me. Two random "revelations"...

So...I understand that we are all calorie counting and tracking intake. But I remember a few months ago when I was tracking on livestrong.com, I kept angrily saying, I can't lose any weight but I am staying in my calorie range. Now that I've moved over to MFP (YAY Android application!) I've promised myself to be completely honest about my intake and write it all down, even if its horrible. Its shocking sometimes to see those numbers sitting you right there in front of you. It is really impacting what I put in my mouth.I find myself snacking a bit less since I then have to go and account for it. I realize that is my Achilles Heel---the cookie here, and the piece of chocolate from the office dish there. That stuff really adds up and I am finally starting to see the *sarcastic tone* "mystery" as to why I couldn't lose any weight when I was tracking over at the livestrong.com site. The mystery was me and the underestimation of calories and some vague mind trick that if I didn't write it down, somehow it didn't count! I was playing mind games with myself. Maybe one day I will have it together enough to make my food diary public. However, that day is not today ;)

I am noticing how I am 50-100 calories over my intake on the days I don't exercise. I suppose that means I should exercise everyday huh?

I find it useful to create "calorie targets" for each of my meals, i.e 300 calorie breakfast, 500 calorie lunch, etc etc. And I am trying to make a new habit where I don't "borrow" the remaining calories for meals later in the day...Does anyone else do this? Am I on the way to an obsession or a healthy habit? I just wonder..
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Pick me... pick me... ( just kidding) I guess this is some place I actually fit.. Have been overweight for as long as I can remember... But its all changing now...

@ my heaviest/ start of MFP: 235 (about a month ago)
    current weight: 212 (as of a few days ago)
    my first huge accomplishment: into Onederland (hoping by mid Jan)
    my second will be getting under 185 as I don't remember ever being under that weight since jr. high.
    I would love my ending goal to be between 138-144. ( I think)

Glad to be here.. nice to meet ya'll.
  • Neuroticwench
    Neuroticwench Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Things that I'm sick and tired of:

* Diabetes
    * Sleep apnea
    * Not being able to wear cute clothes
    * Getting tired out by simple physical activity like shopping or going up the stairs
    * Being passed over by men because I'm too fat

I've been a fat girl since the first grade .... and I'll be turning 30 on Christmas Day. I have had enough. So count me in!

Heaviest weight: 288
    Current weight: 249
    Goal weight: 150 (might edit my goals when I get here depending on what works best for my frame)
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    Aww look at my amazing group!!! Getting so “BIG” hahaha…welcome everyone (newer-er ones) to my club…

@ Justforme27- I cant wait to see a thin me too!!! Guess the BMI chart might be a good idea to get a jumping off point- I have no idea what that says for me…prolly should check that out lol…and definitely anything below 200 would be beautiful to see…Welcome!

@ Kizzy_Muss- nice to have you hear…good goal of 10 lbs at a time…im sure you can do it with everyone here’s help…Welcome!

@ Nam14UK- SWEET MY GROUP IS INTERNATIONAL! Lol… nice to have u here Nam all the way from England! Sweet!...great job losing that 36 lbs! very inspirational to us all…I can understand that it must be hard to sometimes accept that u are not that big anymore and that u are almost to your end point of success- I cant wait to be there!...the challenges are definitely a good idea…as soon as I can get everything together I will try to think up some stuff- or if anyone wants to suggest anything…but we’ll get things rolling here in a few weeks thanks…Welcome!

@ undercover- im sure that one day u will be publishing your own weight loss success story- and hopefully we can help u get there!!! Thanks for your experience…Welcome!

@ amcmillian730- isn’t it such an enabler when your whole family is big!!! Makes the weight so much harder to keep off- but we are doing it one day at a time… glad to have u here- hopefully we can reach our goals all together…Welcome!

@ SugarDiva- I never want to be that “fat friend” again!!! Lol… I think aiming for the high side sounds safe and reasonable…and like we said- none of us here have ever been there so we are just working toward success and we will see where to go once we get there!...Welcome!

@ Tina- good point of bringing out the “dream weight” although mine is just whatever looks amazing in front of the mirror- couldn’t care if that was 150 or 200, if its sexy- im loving it lol… LOVE Onederland heheh great expression…I completely agree!!! We are so alike- I don’t want to disappoint myself—that’s why my goal is like 200…im sure it will end up being less but I just want a goal I know I can reach…ya know?...i kno u can make it to wherever ur body wants u to be…Welcome!

@ alatin- Thank you for ur amazing experience…its great to hear of ones who have gone from overweight to in shape for the first time…im sure u will reach your 10% goal…thanks for the great example!!! And thanks for the Kg to lbs ratio…I know im lost on kilograms haha…great to see more internationals!!! Love this group…Welcome!

@ Nisharae- you are picked haha…glad to have you hear joining all of us on this journey, for many of us into One-derland…for the first time since childhood lol…im sure u will reach that goal soon!...thanks for joining glad to have u…Welcome!

@ Neuroticwench- yea those things pretty much SUCK!...well then with your big birthday coming up im glad to have u here- we would love to be the encouragement u need to hit your 30’s in the best shape of your life! And yes- just like the rest of us…that final weight will definitely b adjusted as needed…who knows maybe u need to lose less! Lol…Welcome!

Thank you everyone for your comments and your kind words…I am hoping to get a chance here in a little while to put together everyone’s names and such so I can keep ya’ll organized hehe…I will get to sum challenges in a few weeks maybe after the new year but as we are all busy I think that will b the best time- and u guys keep showing up so my group is getting so BIG!!! Its great!!!! Thanks everyone and hang tight for future fun!!!

p.s. don’t forget your water!!!! Drink it up!
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    Not soon, slow and steady ! lol about 1 and half stone being shifted each year, im in it for the long haul!

I'm 3lb off being in 25bmi, all excitable but with xmas will be somewhat hard to stay completely on track.

Dont want the body of a 7 year old, i want a body of a woman who knows how to use it ;D (Zumbas helping!)

yes of course- slow and steady wins the race...whatever gets u to the finish line successfully right!? thats great about ur bmi!
    and yes not the body of a 7 yr old literally lol...Zumba haha nice
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    [/quote]
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    hahaha....TOTALLY!!!! lol even just today a few hours ago my mom was like, this is all your fault...she said it jokingly but still- wont take responsibility- im like "mom i dont make u eat all those fries" hahaha...but she was super thin before i was born...then down hill for 22 years lol...i keep trying to get her to get on here and lose weight with me...SHES SO STUBBORN!!! crazy lady...gotta luv them tho.

I say the same things. She said she pretty much lived off those square Brach vanilla carmels when she was pregnant... those were all she craved. One of her favorite stories is that her doctor told her to eat more fish. She'd go to McDonald's, order a fish sandwhich, eat a few bites, pull out the fish and eat a tartar sauce sandwhich.*LOL* No wonder I have eating issues....:-P

Shannon

HAHAHAHAHAHA...love the fish story...thats amazing...oh man a fish sandwich sounds good right now!!! and its 1 am...lol i love me sum tartar sauce...yup i blame our moms! haha
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    I was just checking in. I am new and not active in many threads, so i thought I'd subject you all my aimless thoughts. Bear with me. Two random "revelations"...

So...I understand that we are all calorie counting and tracking intake. But I remember a few months ago when I was tracking on livestrong.com, I kept angrily saying, I can't lose any weight but I am staying in my calorie range. Now that I've moved over to MFP (YAY Android application!) I've promised myself to be completely honest about my intake and write it all down, even if its horrible. Its shocking sometimes to see those numbers sitting you right there in front of you. It is really impacting what I put in my mouth.I find myself snacking a bit less since I then have to go and account for it. I realize that is my Achilles Heel---the cookie here, and the piece of chocolate from the office dish there. That stuff really adds up and I am finally starting to see the *sarcastic tone* "mystery" as to why I couldn't lose any weight when I was tracking over at the livestrong.com site. The mystery was me and the underestimation of calories and some vague mind trick that if I didn't write it down, somehow it didn't count! I was playing mind games with myself. Maybe one day I will have it together enough to make my food diary public. However, that day is not today ;)

I am noticing how I am 50-100 calories over my intake on the days I don't exercise. I suppose that means I should exercise everyday huh?

I find it useful to create "calorie targets" for each of my meals, i.e 300 calorie breakfast, 500 calorie lunch, etc etc. And I am trying to make a new habit where I don't "borrow" the remaining calories for meals later in the day...Does anyone else do this? Am I on the way to an obsession or a healthy habit? I just wonder..

#1 - yea i dont show my food to ppl either- prolly cuz i dont want any judgment on how i eat...as long as i stay under i dont want ppl being secretly against me cuz i ate a hamburger or half a pizza (especially if i worked hard to get that stuff!) lol...but ur right..its crazy to finally see how much what we use to eat on a regular basis is calorie wise...scares me sometimes lol!

#2 - or just eat less/more healthy on days u know u CANT exercise...otherwise exercise...i know i try hard to exercise on days i know the food will be high...just to balance everything out

#3 - i dont necessarily do that...i mean i do kinda give each meal a "this is too much" number- especially breakfast but not so much...i do like to save most cals for dinner- cuz that always seems to really hit me hard
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    @ alatin- Thank you for ur amazing experience…its great to hear of ones who have gone from overweight to in shape for the first time…im sure u will reach your 10% goal…thanks for the great example!!! And thanks for the Kg to lbs ratio…I know im lost on kilograms haha…great to see more internationals!!! Love this group…Welcome!

Thanks!
    It is always fun to learn new weird systems. Lbs didn't mean anything to me before I joined this site, but now I have at least a vague idea of them. :laugh:

There is an old saying that goes, "the more you eat, the hungrier you get". It doesn't really speak of food but of pretty much everything else in life. At first I struggled to get below 90Kg, then getting below 80 was a far greater struggle!
    At about halfway to my goal, I was very pleased with myself and over time something paradoxical happened. I grew more resolute, but also more relaxed about losing the weight. I used to be very impatient, but now I'm not struggling so much anymore. It is more like sitting back and enjoying the ride now because I know where I'm going. Not just hoping anymore!
    It's a great place to be!

I'm sure that when you reach your current goal too, it won't be nearly enough for you any more!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Delicate... That's AWESOME! I might write that out and post it on my "wall of inspiration". And ZUMBA is sooo fun! I want to do it everyday! I should buy the DVD, but I've heard mixed reviews. I love this one class I've found, but I rely on my friend to drive me, and she only goes 1x/week, sometimes only every other week. I think I might still buy some classes in bulk though. Do you take a class? I find it so much more exciting with a group of people. :happy:

Feel free too (first time i've been called inspiration, I like you already)
    I go to the class, i felt more self concious doing it with dvd than in the class, funny isnt it! i want the zumba for wii lol ! but thats pretty mixed, the dvd is quite fast (even youtube a few clips of the dvd), its mixed for me, i do body combat, body pump and body balance too other days of the week, their is a dif of about 100 cals poss burned between combat and zumba (but i've been doing combat alot longer so now the moves so put alot more effort into it while zumba still learning).
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Never been thin, never been in shape? Yup, that's me.

I was chubby in elementary school and hated wearing a dress because the ones that were picked out for me felt like I was a sausage whose casing was about to burst. As a teenager, I kind of liked it when we went out running in the forest adjacent to the school, but I was one of the kids in the group that trailed behind, sweating and wheezing, while the sporty girls zoomed ahead seemingly without effort and then, adding insult to injury, got to rest while I laboriously caught up. I had big breasts age 12, and a sports bra not being part of my vocabulary, they bounced on every step. By my mid teens, that was vaguely painful and of course collected its share of spiteful teasing comments.

Weight-wise, I was told that I should weigh, in kg, my height in cm, minus 100, minus 10% (and a stern look said "it should be -20%"). That came down to 56.7kg (approx. 125 lbs), and I simply had no concept how on earth such a weight should be attainable -- broad-shouldered, big-hipped as I was, with my heavy thighs.

The thing is, if anybody had taught me what I learnt easily in a few weeks here on MFP, that *would* have been attainable. I recently looked at pictures of me as a teen and pre-teen -- sure, I had a layer of fat on me, but was at worst somewhere in the overweight category. At one point I was even a bit gangly. And I enjoyed horseback riding and went everywhere by bike. All this aggravation, year on year, for really not much of a reason.

But later I abandoned the thought of getting anywhere close to normal weight. On the plus side, that prevented me from endless yo-yo dieting (I did diet a few times, ending up probably somewhere around a BMI of 28 at my thinnest). But now that I've entered my 40s, I feel even this isn't as easy any longer. Also, I hope to make a major change in my environment soon -- after 15 years living in European capitals I'm looking at a job located just below the Arctic circle, with trips up and out into the cold. I want to be able to use my body.

The realization came recently of two things:
    - We've simply not evolved to fit a life style of a urbanite that spends 15h a day sitting in front of the computer screen. Our bodies expect to get fatigued once a day, and to move us around.
    - We've simply not have time to adapt to the large amounts of calorie-dense, highly digestible and tasty food that's easily available around us, at the portion sizes it is offered. I was brought up to never waste food and clear my plate. It is hard for me to throw food away. And except for a fatal attraction to some sweets (chocolate & gummi bears) I actually ate healthily for a long time -- but way way too much!

So for the last two months, MFP has worked for me. I don't need to eat a whole plate of pasta - an appropriate-sized portion will do. I don't deprive myself. My calories are set to 1500, and I stay maybe 100 below most days. I eat full-fat cream cheese and yesterday had a Lebkuchen (German Christmas nut/gingerbread delicacy) of which my mother sent a whole box -- it's 200-250 cals apiece, and I can fit it in.

Starting to exercise was HUGE for me. I thought, when I joined the gym, I'd be going once a week. I've been sticking to 5 times a week working out for most of the time since. I still can't run a mile, but I walk/run on the treadmill, with an incline, and at one point the walking breaks will shorten down. The key is to get moving and to control food amounts.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    This is the group I've been looking for. I have always been big, big-boned, sometimes called fat girl. And at 6' tall, people never think I am as heavy as I am or they lie and say, "Youre not big, You're tall"

RIGHT

I have been overweight my entire life. The least I've weighed in my adult life is 220,
    My current weight is 269 pounds

My ultimate goal...To see that first number on the scale be a 1... I would be ecstatic at 185. I lost seventy pounds once, kept it off for five years. And now I am ready to recommit to a life of healthy eating, not a diet.

I'm with ya. At 5'8", I've been told I "wear my weight well"-- that I don't look as heavy as I am-- but I graduated high school 30+ years ago at 210, and have in the 190-210 range for most of my adult life.

I did manage to take ~70 lbs off and keep it off for ~ 2 years--and I must say that during that period, it didn't feel like I was "dieting." I was just eating responsibly and exercising regularly. But in the past 11 months, 50 of the 70 has come back. So a big part of my motivation is not only to get back to how my body felt for that 2 years, but where my head felt, too-- when that "life of healthy eating and not dieting" felt natural and normal.
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Delicate I do those Les Mills classes but mainly Body Attack and Body Combat. I absolutely LOVE Body Combat and would recommend it to everyone! I felt like such a plonker doing it the first couple of times but once you pick up the moves it is amazing! Always gives such a high calorie burn as well!
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    Delicate I do those Les Mills classes but mainly Body Attack and Body Combat. I absolutely LOVE Body Combat and would recommend it to everyone! I felt like such a plonker doing it the first couple of times but once you pick up the moves it is amazing! Always gives such a high calorie burn as well!

ahh Nam u said plonker!!!!! thats awesome i love it!!! the first and only time i've ever heard that word was in...umm whats that movie-....grr the one with amanda bynes...oh yes...what a girl wants- when she went to England to meet her dad and that evil girl whos mom her dad was gonna marry said Plonker about something...hehe im sure its normal for u but that just made my day!!! cant wait to get to visit that area!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Attack kills me at the moment, my asthma kicks up a mega stink during it but figure if a few more lbs go it be generally easier, i keep trying it every so often, my face ends up beetroot like the walls !
    Go full in hard core, can burn 700 cals in 60min class with hrm on (although depends if their aircon is working properly etc or if its not, and its really warm so you sweat more and more!)
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Attack kills me at the moment, my asthma kicks up a mega stink during it but figure if a few more lbs go it be generally easier, i keep trying it every so often, my face ends up beetroot like the walls !
    Go full in hard core, can burn 700 cals in 60min class with hrm on (although depends if their aircon is working properly etc or if its not, and its really warm so you sweat more and more!)

Haha my gym studio is a bit like that! The first few times I did Attack I needed to sit down for about half an hour after to recover!! I now do it every Sunday morning (or at least I try to) and really love it! I would love to tell you it gets easier but my class yesterday morning kicked me hard!! It is such a great workout and I really do feel on top of the world when it's over!! I'm similar to you in that I burn approx 700 in an hour long class. The Combat classes are always too early in the evening and I don't get back from work in time. Trying to persuade them to change that from Jan!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Highest weight: estimate about 250lbs
    Start weight: 213
    Current weight: 176.6
    Goal weight: 150

Totally in this boat. Been overweight since I was a child and have NO clue what I will look like at my goal weight. I am actually lighter now than I ever have been (bar when I was under 10 years old, I assume). I know I was about 198 when I was in my early teens as my parents sent me to the doctor over concerns about my weight. That just made my binge eating worse.

I choose 150lbs as my goal weight as it JUST puts me into the healthy range for my height on the BMI chart. I am curious about how I will look! I am pretty sure I will have problems with my skin the smaller I get, especially on my upper arms. But hey - being healthy is the important thing to me :)
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    ::raises hand::

Nice group!

Heaviest: 366
    Current: 324 (started weight loss in August 2010)
    Goal: 250

As a kid, I was the chubby one, though I was always quite active.

My college weight was around 210-215 and I looked fine, felt fine and well, of course, I was in my late teens/early 20s. My most steady weight was always in the 250-260 range. Yup. That's right. I know that somewhere around 250-260, I was comfortable, though still fat by whatever ridiculous standards these charts/graphs say. (Don't even get me started on BMI...!)

Fifteen years ago (at 275 lbs), I tried to get down to the "suggested" weight: 150. I lost 95 lbs over 18 months, mostly due to developing disordered eating and using amphetamines. Yeah, no. Never again! The lowest I got was 190ish. I worked out 3-4x a week; could ride a bike for 15 miles; looked fantastic. Then I was taken off meds and POOF! Over the next 2-3 years, I put back every single pound. 6 years ago, after being put on other meds, I ballooned up to 366.

Now I'm off the weird meds, on different ones, and with sensible, mindful eating and a balanced diet, I'm doing great.

My true goal is not really a number on the scale, precisely. It's the ability to walk without gasping; to go on vacation and be able to fit into 1 plane seat comfortably; to be able to be active and want to be. For me, that's a lot higher number than many folks. I'm perfectly fine with this. Already, at 42 lbs down, I am 3 sizes smaller, have more energy and feel more like I did 100 lbs ago.

Cheers!