WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Jillian Michael's Shed and Shred DVD today. Tomorrow the plan is to do Jari Love's Ripped and Chiseled DVD then go to the farmer's market

Brenda in VA - welcome! And happy anniversary

Joyce - great advice to Brenda

Alison - so sorry to hear about your patient. Everything will work out, I'm sure

Tere - how wonderful that your daughter got a job!

Heather - I don't try to make a different dish, just something that everyone can have. Actually, this recipe calls for parmesan cheese on top so I'll just not put it on. To be honest, I really don't concern myself so much with the gluten free. It's not a health issue for her, just a personal preference.

Success - I gave Lance insulin this morning. What I'm going to try doing is put a syringe in a lunchbox with a freeze thing, then in the morning when he wakes me up and I go to the bathroom, he usually rubs up against me then, I'll give him the insulin and then open the bedroom door so he can go into the rest of the house. Hopefully, he'll begin to associate a pleasurable experience with one not-so-pleasurable.

We usually give our cats "treats" (really, another brand of dried cat food that they don't get in their food dish) when Loki gets his medicine. I gave Lance some treats, too. He didn't come and be near our cats, but he was meowing.

Sylvia - how wonderful that your feet aren't itching! Pretty soon they'll look fine, too. Cute joke

Kim - I didn't realize that there wasn't lactose in eggs! I guess I was thinking that all dairy contained lactose, including eggs

Akinmom - I love the name LovingKim. Love, love, love it

Carol - I don't know about the milk from Aldi lasting longer. Never had the chance to find out. But I do think that their prices for milk and eggs are somewhat high. Walgreens has those items on sale regularly, and if you take the ad in to WalMart (which is what I usually do) they will price match it. Now their price for frozen veges and chips are good, same for cereal and lots of other things. Their price on butter has gone up! It was muggy today. When I went to mahjongg, the air reminded me of Florida, the smell of the humidity and the grass. I don't mind the heat, but I do not like the humidity

Brenda - you know that we exercise so that we have large shoulders for others to lean on, don't you?

Cynthia - I was checking out the Happy Herbivore site, and it reminded me that I haven't had any black bean brownies in a while

squatch - yea for the loss!

yanniejannie - isn't it frustrating when you go somewhere and can't find a parking space?

Meg - yea for you getting to the gym! And big yea on your lipid panel. I'll go to the MD Tues to get my blood work done for my regular physical. Unfortunately, I need to fast and I think I'll probably wind up exercising on an empty stomach which is something I don't like to do. But then again, I'm not expecting to do anything real strenuous. I'm thinking I'll do one of those 30 minute Cardio Challenges on the stationary bike and I need to figure out the settings. I also like prettykim, good name. Kim - I see a couple of good choices

Exercised, went to play mahjongg, then to PetSmart (because I'd forgotten to get Lance & Shadow dry cat food), then Aldi, then home and in the pool, had dinner, ushered at the Green Room, now home again. Didn't realize I'd be so late.

Sylvia - congrats to your gd

jane - glad your thyroid and glucose are good. Sorry about the cholesterol. Will you need medication?

Pat - wishing you the best for your eyes

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I am so quiet lately. But I am.

Sylvia, that is great about your grand daughter getting accepted into the all city choir. When I was in high school, the school corporations, in three counties had an annual musical event. All the 4th graders had a combined choir of the, oh my mind is blank, it's those plastic flute type things, Anyway we had different choirs and groups, orchestra and all city choir. They chose a person of each vocal part for the all city choir and I was chosen as the also. And I was just a sophomore. They usually didn't even let sophomores into the concert choir. It was also my first year at the school. But my sister was already attending the school and in the choir and convinced the director to let me audition. She is still my favorite teacher ever. she was just so nurturing. For one of the all city choirs songs I had to learn how to snap my fingers!!! I had never learned.

My oldest followed in my ways as far as music. she was in everything. In middle school and in high school she was in all city and in all state. Here in Vandenburgh County we have an annual summer musical that is high quality. You audition for it and you get 2 credits. You audition for music and drama but they also have students do a lot of the props, building, technical, etc. It is pretty much an easy A. So my daughter was in it two summers. She didn't get any main parts, just in the chorus. In South Pacific I counted the minutes she was actually on stage, pretty low. And I had to transport her to those practices, but the little underpants that cheerleaders wear, they had to have their hair pitch black and her think hair took two bottles. But it was good experience. So now her daughter is doing the same thing, in the concert choir in middle school, acapella choir for the region. So Christina was in all the humanities which was in one wing of the the high school and I parked in the front parking lot. Michelle was in the sports was in all the sports which was in another wing of the school and I parked in the back parking lot. she wasn't good in the sports but still active. I about fainted one day right after Christmas break when I went to her basketball game and her name ws listed as in the starting line up. Oh no, we are losing this game!!! But the coach was just getting back at the stars who thought 'they' didn't need to be at practice during Christmas break because they were who they were. Well Michelle made enough fouls she was taken out in the 4th minute!!! My husband would never go to any of either girls events because they weren't perfect:explode: Christina knew nothing about sports. When she toured her college and they showed them the football field she asked us what those poles shaped kind of like an H was. We called her the night Michelle made her one and only basket and she said she didn't know she was into basket weaving in high school.:laugh: God bless her. She married a sports nut and now knows all about it.

the cereal boxes are calling my name. Maybe I need to change my name to!!!

Oh, my nephew, the one who was such a drug addict, ADHD, BiPolar, ODO and living with a young girl who couldn't stop getting pregnat had their baby today. She does look precious. She keeps calling my nephew her husband:explode: She is 20 years old and going to get her tubes tied. And the other nephew, the other one who was a heroin addict and his live in pregnant with their 3rd and then he decided he needed to find himself and left her, They are all in Florida for one week. My brother rented the house when his son was still with this lovely young lady. So he still went. I cannot imagine the tension.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Woke with headache pretending to be a volcano. Took Panadol Rapid to settle it. Only a 30 minute doggy walk round our paddocks for me today. Sat in garden this afternoon reading and relaxing. Made a chicken, leek and mushroom pie for dinner tonight. Thank goodness for slow cooker to put chicken in to cook slowly. Steaming carrots and some green peas to go with it.
    If not improved then off to doctors I need to go. Fed up with this cough but slept most of last night.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I met Kim (currently momsamodel, soon to change) at Starbucks today for coffee. 3 hours later we hugged goodbye! It was so much fun to meet a sister MFPer and get a 3D view. I had no problem recognizing Kim and vice versa. I knew I'd tower over her, and I did! (5'1" vs 5'8"). Check out the two of us in my profile pic. Someday, I may (emphasis on may) learn how to incorporate the pic into the post. Couldn't find those instructions just now but wanted to put the pic up - so the profile pic will have to suffice for now.

The rest of the day filled up with errands. It threw my eating all out of whack. My niece came over about dinner time to go through old pics with my mom. She came bearing goat cheese, crackers, and Trader Joe's salted butterscotch chocolate balls. Not a good thing. I'm lucky not to have gone over my calorie goal but still not planning to do this again. It's a matter of putting ME (my health etc.) first, before socializing and before anybody else's plans. The truth is, nobody will mind. It's just my issue. My plan next time is to go ahead and fix something to eat when I plan to eat. Period!

Speaking of my mom, she now admits (after all 5 kids called her and scolded her) that she made a mistake in not speaking to the doctor when she had chest pain and fibrillation a couple of days ago. She's felt extra tired ever since. Of course, the concern is that whatever it was has affected her heart. Now, however, she says that she's not about to go in on a Saturday. :noway:

I seriously don't know what to do. I may call my sibs to see what they think. Advice is welcome.

Good night.
    Mimi
    :heart:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weighed myself this morning - for the first time in ages I have actually lost! Not a lot but it does make a change from the static scale I've had all summer! Just proves that logging everyday keeps me accountable in writing. I may not have lost a lot but I am again feeling so much better in myself.

I have a gym ball in my lounge which I use to train the dogs in treiball (doggy football). My (basketball coach) son came home from uni and was amused that I would have a gym ball and not use it for gym! He has encouraged me to sit on it while I am watching TV rather than slumping on the settee to work my core while I am being lazy. What a good idea. The trouble is now when I get it out to watch a soap, the dogs think they are going to play! They'll have to learn that the ball now has two uses!

It's great that Mimi and Kim have been able to meet. What a lovely story. There has been some good news on this thread - let's hope it continues. Healing prayers for all who need their own good news.

One question, many of you mention the Y, in context I understand that it refers to a gym, is it a chain or just an abbreviation? Another of these US/UK word differences - we'll all understand each other eventually!

Happy weekend everyone.

MA in UK
  • pentecostalmama7
    Options
    Hi. My name is Vanessa and I am new here. My goals were to (a) eat like I have some sense and (b) get to the gym. So far, so good. I do my weight on Sundays, but I make every effort to get to the gym 4-5 days a week, usually on the way home from work. On the days when I don't/can't get to the gym, I try to get in other activities, such as walking at lunchtime or yard work.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    All caught up with the reading but didn't take notes because all I could think of if this itch between the fingers can stop I'm going back to bed. It's a little past six been reading since 5:30. I think the itch is stopped enough for me to fall asleep again hopefully with the CPAP I kept it on until 3:am so doing better. Getting used to it.

Had a great day yesterday and almost sure wii will have a smile for me.

See you all lighter shortly.
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    morning kiddo's~
    I bounced out of bed at 4:15 threw some clothes on and went for a walk.. it is muggy as all get out it was 75 when I went cot 2 3/4 miles in , came home walked the dogs and took a shower..all ready for work...work until noon, and we are supposed to have much needed rain this afternoon and evening.. I have on one of the sweater's I got at goodwill, it is coral colored boat neck, 3/4 sleeves with a ribbed bottom and it makes me look thin:bigsmile: ,have it on with a canvas black skort and black sandals, so I look presentable sitting at the reception desk.. i usually try and look half way decent for sitting up there on saterdays.
    well stepped on the scale this morning and I am up 2 lbs:huh: , oh well will suck down the water today.. i am guessing sodium and no slimming tea.. will go back to that tonight..BUT only one cup:wink:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

I'm hoping that today will be a better day. I am now on antibiotics for a kidney infection and an infection in my navel wound. Was really sick yesterday and could barely lift myself out of bed. Today I'm going to spend the day resting, reading and maybe doing a little gentle sewing. My poor house gym will have to do without me for a little longer until I feel stronger.

Have a great weekend my dears.
    Love to all
    Amanda x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I met Kim (currently momsamodel, soon to change) at Starbucks today for coffee. 3 hours later we hugged goodbye! It was so much fun to meet a sister MFPer and get a 3D view. I had no problem recognizing Kim and vice versa. I knew I'd tower over her, and I did! (5'1" vs 5'8"). Check out the two of us in my profile pic.
    So cute!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, still nursing my dog, who's improving slowly. (For those just tuning in, he had emergency surgery 4 days ago for an abscess behind his eye.) Trying not to stress eat.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I was feeling a little dizzy yesterday evening, so I went to bed early. I thought it might be because I didn't sleep much the night before. So I slept from 8pm to 6am. I don't even think I got up to go to the bathroom. So I should be well rested today. We got a nice little rainstorm in the evening too, so that was nice. I have not tried moving around much so far this morning, so don't know if I'm still dizzy or not, but don't think so.

Anne, thanks for your kind words, but I know there are people doing a lot more important things than picking up a little trash. The whole reason I started walking to school, and then picking up trash, was to help give the grandkids something to feel good about, and it seems to be working. They keep asking me when it will be cool enough to walk home too. Looks like that may be Monday, when the high is supposed to be 78 instead of 98. What they really want to do is ride their bikes to school, but I don't think they are ready for that. Not on the city streets. The oldest still isn't getting the hang of the bicycle. She thinks she needs training wheels, but she weighs more than the training wheels are made to support, so they bend and she gets frustrated. She hasn't given up though, so hopefully she will get it soon.

Amanda, I'm so sorry you are still so sick. I hope you get well very soon!

Alison, that sweater outfit sounds very nice! I'll be glad when it's sweater weather here. A few months ago I got some pretty sweaters on the clearance rack at Penneys, thinking I could wear them this fall. I got 2x size. But I tried one on yesterday and it was pretty huge. Oh well, they were cheap. $3 each, I think.

Linda, good luck with your itchy fingers! I know how miserable an itch can be.

Vanessa, welcome! I love your cat picture. You seem to have a great attitude already, so I bet you will do just fine. Just stick with this group and let us know how things are going! Where are you from?

MA, I had to laugh at the image of your dogs thinking it was play time when you tried to use the ball. I got one of those balls and my whippet got really excited! She popped it pretty quickly though.

Mimi and Kim, I'm so jealous! I would love to have been with you two. How nice that you could get together.

Meg, keep your chin up! Your daughter may be forced to grow up a little now. It was so nice of your neighbors to give her that furniture.

Well, the sun has come up, so it's time to get ready to go to the gym for lap swimming. I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! :flowerforyou:

Mimi and Kim - fabulous photo! You look so happy!:flowerforyou:

Sylvia - great that your granddaughter is in the city choir. What a compliment! :flowerforyou:

Cynthia - still sending good wishes for your dog.:flowerforyou:

Well, we have dropped the grandchildren off at the other grandparents and came back to tidy up the house, strip the beds and put some last minute washing on. Thank goodness I had my cleaner come in twice this week as it really doesn't look too bad. :tongue: This afternoon I am going to have a short nap before I think about packing for the house swap.:noway: :ohwell:
    I miss the baby already!:love::love: She is so gorgeous. DH said he had had a wonderful two days with DGS. They are like soul mates. We will see them again in just over a week if I go up for the brewery one year birthday party. Right now I am sooooooo tired I can't imagine getting up there so close to our return from Cornwall which is about a 5 or 6 hour drive each way, but I have the Saturday to recover. If DS#1 is there it will be worth the effort.:ohwell:

I know I will go over calories tonight as I have done no exercise and we are going to our local pub for dinner. Will try to stick to protein and veg. I haven't even weighed myself for a while, tho I don't think I have put on as I haven't gone over TDEE any day.

TTFN. From an utterly exhausted Heather in beautiful Hampshire UK
  • pentecostalmama7
    Options
    Hey, Marcia! It sounds like we're in the same boat: I'm new here too.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Mimi

I researched how to post pics in your message the other day. I did not do it yet but it says

On your MFP post you want to use this code for your picture to show up. It is [ img ] *link* [ /img ]
    (no spaces)

Hope that helps

Anne
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Sylvia

I am, trying to post a pic from one of my plastic bottle patio lamps. These are so easy to make, I think kids would have a lot of fun doing this.

Well, it did not work. I have to try again
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Wow had a great sleep from 6 to 9 with the CPAP machine. Feel good and not tired. Up for a great day of whatever today may bring. Wii gave me a 2.2 loss wow. 1.3 yesterday. Hope it keeps going.

Alison
    I can see you in that outfit it looks great even with your little gain.
    Have a great day.

Amanda
    Take care of what's ailing you the rest can wait.

Cynthia
    Nice to hear puppy is recouperating.

Mimi and Kim
    I got to meet a couple girls in Edmonton that I met on diet talk. Was great. We were travelling to Alaska.

Heather
    Enjoy your evening out.

Well that's about it for now.
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • redsheila56
    redsheila56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to be part of this group!!! Redsheila56
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!
    Off homecoming dress shopping.
    hugs
    jane
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    KIM,maybe Kiminyourstate,or town or Kimdancing,.Kimbeingbeautiful or just to be funny Kimmykimkim.

Meg,as someone posted,your DD has no clue as to how her life is about to change . Hopefully,she will get the help she'll need . Had neighbors that went thru something similar.....The son & GF would bring the baby,leave him for a day....Then would show up when their welfare $ was gone a couple of wks later.

Alison,I was surprised no one mentioned your Dad accusing you & Bro of going behind his back . When is that OK? At what age will you be OK with family taking over your affairs? When his car broke down,someone had to help,but in another post said you & Brother would take him where he needs to go. How did that work? It's never easy with an elderly parent........But neither is it easy having relatives going behind your back .

Carol,sorry to hear about the group going to expensive places did you call them?
    If you want to go,call & ask if they have a veggie plate...

Heather,sweet picture . he's adorable.

TERI
    Just think how those words & actions made a difference in your life. Sounds
    like a great understanding parent . Love your response to good news!!!Happy for your DD finding a job & I agree. Any job beats NO job.

Brenda
    .....Keep posting. People here will understand & try their best to help.

Need to get busy.DD,AOL & maybe their son will be here later for pizza & OSU football....GO Bucks