WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• brendybren59
    Options
    This is my first trip into the Community! I've been fighting the thyroid battle for 20 plus years and discovered 6 months ago that there are doctors that will listen to me and adjust my meds according to how I feel and not by what the labs say. I began feeling good finally about two months ago and started to walk daily about 38 days ago. I started out at just 1/2 mile and then went to 1 mile. Now I'm doing 1 1/2 miles at a time and some days I will walk that 1 1/2 twice a day. I'm down 9 pounds in about 30 days time. It's good to feel alive again!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Jari Love Ripped and Chiseled DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Denise Austin's Belly Fat Blaster DVD.

After exercising had breakfast then went to the farmer's market. The man didn't have any more red okra. He SAID he'd have more next week, but we shall see. Did buy a butternut squash, haven't had that in a while. Also got some radishes, haven't had that in a while either. Came home and made the chocolate chip cookies for when Jess is here this weekend. I thought this recipe sounded so good, but I wasn't impressed with it. The recipe says to refrigerate the dough, but I've found that many times that wasn't needed. Well, for this recipe it certainly is. Oh well....they have good flavor. Saved some of the chocolate chips so that I can make a batch of the black bean brownies for me. Also marinated salmon and will broil that when I'm finished making the cookies. Also cut up more of the watermelon. We need to finish that up.

retireesouth - your name has me curious. Where south did you retire to?

I think I may have hit on this time's solution to giving Lance his insulin. What I did was I put a filled syringe in a lunchbox with a freeze thing. My plan was that when he usually rubs up against me as I go to the bathroom, I'd sneak it into him then. Well, that didn't work, so I did my usual. I went back to bed. In no time at all he junped up on the bed. Like yesterday and the day before he let me hug him. As I was hugging him, I reached into the pocket of my robe, took out the syringe, then gave him his insulin. Then I opened the bedroom door. Wow! This seems to have worked.

Yesterday Vince was telling me how he jumped up on his lap while he was sitting at his desk and then later in the day Vince was in the bedroom petting Shadow and Lance. Loki came in. In the past they'd hiss at him, however, the past time I was there Loki came in the bedroom and even Shadow just watched his every move. Well, this time Vince said that Lance actually jumped off the bed and went nose-to-nose with Loki. Who knows? Maybe one day they'll actually be buds.

I don't think I'm going to change my name. I think mine fits me, what do you think? Exermom -- that's me, someone who likes to exercise.

Lesley - I do so love reading your posts and how different your life is from mine.

mimi - thanks so much for the lovely pic of you and Kim. She IS just lovely. Yes, Kim, you need to change your name to something like "lovelykim". Oh, did you ever get my friend request? I know I've sent it to you a few times

I know what I'm going to do! I was going to make some more of the fudge for when Jessica gets here but use extra sugar. Well, I'll use a few of those chocolate chips for some of the black bean brownies. Yup, that'll work. As I recall, you don't use a whole lot of the chips. Vince didn't like that, but it doesn't bother me. So I'll use the rest of the chips in the fudge. Now I just have to wait for him to finish this batch of fudge.

MA - woohoo on the loss. How big is that ball that you're sitting on? When you're sitting on it, your knees should be at a 90 degree angle. The "Y" is the YMCA. One of the good features of it (that I can see) is that if you are a member at home then go away on vacation, most times you can use the "Y" where you are on the AWAY (Always Welcome At the Y) program. Now I know when I go to visit Jess for some reason I don't think they take part in the AWAY program so I have to pay a $5 guest fee. However, when we go down to FL, I can use their Y for something like 5 times for free. The "Y" is a chain, it's even in foreign countries, not just the US

Vanessa - welcome! LOVE your pic. One of our cats is very girly-girly. There are (fake) diamonds on her collar and when she broke it, we couldn't find one like it so Vince actually ordered one off the Internet!

Alison - silly as this sounds, the Wii was saying one time how you should have easily digestible foods before going to sleep, like tofu or applesauce. So many nights I do have the cocoa/tofu mixture or one of those individual cups of no sugar added applesauce, and I find that most times the next day the Wii will show a loss, sometimes a small one but a loss just the same. Of course, those times when it shows a gain certainly cancel out those losses :)

Amanda - take care of yourself, and don't forget to eat. Even if you don't feel like it, have a little something (yogurt is pretty smooth). You need food to help your body recover

Cynthia - so glad your doggie is doing better!

Sylvia - if the grandkids ride their bikes to school (great that they want to), is there someplace where they can lock up their bikes during the day? Doesn't it feel good when clothes are too big? You go girl!

Anne - I always seem to have problems posting pics here, so what I do is add them in my library here (you know, when you click on the person's avatar, you get all their pics)

redsheila - we'd love for you to join us.

Well, the sun came out just now, so as soon as the salmon cools down a bit, I'll wrap it up for dinner this week and put the rest in the freezer then maybe go out in the pool for a bit.

Sue in TX - yes, I read on the internet that Off The Wall is made by Bioguard. I also saw where it's sold at a pool store fairly close to here, which is good. I was afraid that I'd have to order a large quantity. At the store I can probably get a smaller amount. Boy, you have a busy week ahead of you. Hope everything goes well for you

Cindy in OK - I have the solution to not getting your nails dirty when you clean the house....just don't clean...lol

yanniejannie - I've been playing mahjongg now for about 3 years and I'm just now starting to get things down. There are still people much better than I am, some people try to get every hand on their card, I'm not there yet and probably never will. And I still make really stupid mistakes. You'll get there. Never give up! I don't seem to be able to figure out what hand someone is playing, some people can but not me.

Sylvia - Vince still to this day (this must have happened about 20 years ago) talks about how I was convinced (and still am) that this huge mouse ran across our stairs in our second home. It was probably a field mouse, but to me it could have been an elephant.

Just came out of the pool, fed the cats moist food, got salads ready for dinner, now I need to go change to get ready for church. I'm lectoring tonight.

Cindy - pizza and wine -- takes me back to my college days

Jane - welcome. Stop in often and you'll get more support than you'll know what to do with. So sorry to hear about your health problems. Don't get discouraged, the weight will come off but very slowly. But off it WILL come off.

jane - that's wonderful that you found the dress so soon

Pretty Kim - you go girl going past Carl Jr.'s

brendybren - welcome! Boy, you sure have increased you walking. That's great

Michele in NC
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Amanda, so nice to see your name, though sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

Syliva, hysterical (lol) story about the mouse. I was helping my sister load some things up for my brother's surprise party tomorrow. She had a sombrero in a bin. When she pulled it out, there was a big black widow spider staring at her. Fortunately, she's the cool calm and collected type. When she finally was able to shake the spider out of the hat, she stepped on it. (It took a few tries before she got her.) (The entire time she was trying to step on the spider, scaredy-cat me was saying, don't step on him in those sandals! She kept replying, he can't bite me through the sandals! lol)

After being leaned on some more by her progeny, my mom finally consented to go to the ER at Kaiser. They were wonderful there much to her surprise and my relief. They did an x-ray (ok), checked her enzymes (also ok). But her EKG was abnormal. Doc thought it might be from some partial blockages. That was scary. I'm sure for her too. 7 hours later, after a treadmill/nuclear stress test, etc., etc., she got a clean bill of health. Wooeee. I'm happy and so thankful. I'm also exhausted.

I told her that convincing her to go made me feel like Sisyphus, constantly pushing a rock up a hill (that would be my mom) only to watch it roll back down again. I'm fortunate to have caring siblings. With pressure from all of us (full-court press), she finally caved. At the hospital, the nurses and techs must have told her 20 times that going there was the right thing to do and that she should have come in on Tuesday when she had the chest pains.

The doctor also told her, in a very kind but serious voice, that, if it happened again she should call 911 or go to the ER. My mom said the doc was much nicer about it than my sibs and I. I responded that we WERE nice the first 10 times we said it. The doctor laughed and said that she had to be nice but it would be different if it were her mom.

Mothers!

BTW, the doctor was appalled that, when my mom called Kaiser right after she had the chest pains, the person who answered the phone made an appt a couple of week out and told my mom that, if it happened again, she should go into the ER. She should have told her to GO there. Period.

Bottom line for all of us - if you have chest pain (in my mom's case, pressure and discomfort), call 911 or have someone take you to the ER. DO NOT DELAY!

Another BTW, eating has continued to be harder today. Eating added sugar clearly has had an effect. Eating right when I'm eating healthily is easy. Eating right after eating added sugar is hard.

Hugs to all,
    Mimi
    :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome Brendy, you have such a beautiful smile.

YMCA I believe stands for Young mens christian association.It started out as a safe place for men to stay and evolved from their. Now it is YMCA and YWCA as far as a place to stay. Most cities just have the YMCA and it is not a place to stay but is still based on Christian values and is a place to exercise, in various ways whether on machines, play basketball, volleyball, classes of many different kinds. Most have a swimming pool and offer swim lessons and water related classes.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I will change my name, but it will not be prettykim or lovelykim... way to toot your own horn for me.... leaning....to godmomkim.... californ'kim, or maybe something about something I like to do....kimsews.... I'll play around with it and let you know....

Kim
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    For some reason, Kim, I especially like the name KimmyKimKim that somebody suggested to be funny. That's probably because my grandchildren call me Granna Kay Kay and my niece calls me Aunt kay Kay.

I changed my user name from healtnydr2be to drkatiebug because the first, although meant to be inspiring just reminded me that being healthy was a continuous work in progress for me and I was moving too slowly for it to make me happy. My new name reminds me that at least I was successful with the quest for a doctorate at 50, even if I didn't get skinny in the process.

I've been busting my butt de cluttering and organizing over the last three days. We're having a family feud get together at my house tomorrow to watch the Falcons Saints game. My sister, her son and fiancé, and her daughter are here from New Orleans. It should be a fun time. We are having taco bar with margarita pie for dessert. I'm going to stick to the chicken, black bean, corn, salsa stuff. My DH, who is a Vikings fan, is hoping for a tie since there's no way both teams can lose! My brother and his family are coming as well as my daughter and her family. They are all Falcons fans. I will probably retire to the sunroom and play with the grand babies. Technically I will support the Falcons, but it is football and I can't get too excited.

Kay from NEGA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm home and I have internet again!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: DD had her baby and mother and son are doing well enough. DD is having lingering problems with blood pressure and edema but is showing some inprovement day by day. DGS was born three weeks early in an induced labor and is doing well, but he hasn't regained his birth weight yet. He's getting closer. I just got home, and had to find the thread so I can start to catch up tomorrow.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon- home again, home again, jiggity jig.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Woke Sunday morning feeling far more human again after a good sleep.
    Stan made Sunday Brunch of bacon, eggs, hash browns and tomatoes. Sunday is my rest and re-feed day. Then we drove along the coast to Ulverstone, 3/4 hour and walked the dog along the river for 30 minutes. Stopped for our ice cream treat and then another drive in the countryside.
    Back home and roasting pork, potatoes and pumpkin for dinner, along with pancakes and strawberries.
    Need to cut my LONG nails tonight and get back into training tomorrow, Long nails NOT conducive to lifting weights sigh! Plus a soak in the bath tonight
    Then shopping tomorrow too

I had flu 3 weeks ago, then thought OK and trained,for a week then it rebounded with a vengeance this week. I cannot tolerate the flu jab I react badly like having flu that doctor advised against it. We live rurally and only go to town once a week for shopping. THAT will teach me

Lesley in Tasmania
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Mimi -so glad your mom finally went to the ER and everything was fine. Boy, she'd be kicking herself if it wasn't but it could have been had she gone earlier.

OK gals - how long will we give Kim to change her name? My vote is that if she doesn't change her name in a certain period of time (say maybe a week) each and every time we are writing directed at her, we don't say "Kim - xxx" but rather "lovelyKim (or whatever name we choose) - xxx"

Kay - I can manage to get excited about football when I see those guys running around the field in their tight pants.....lol Don't ask me anything about the game or the team...I don't know. But watching those tight butts .... now THAT I don't mind watching...lol Good luck to you

katla - congrats to your dd and you. How'd your husband fare? Bet he did just fine.

Leslie - roasted pork...mmmm. Guess that's about the only thing that's making me long for cooler weather. But grilling is good, too. The first time I got the flu vaccine, I had such a reaction I couldn't get over it. Chills and all. Ever since then, tho, I haven't had any reaction at all. Hope I don't this year.

Well, typing from my laptop so I'll close. Have a great day everyone.

Lance was leery of me this morning, but I hugged him a few times just the same and gave him the insulin, then opened the door. Even Shadow is going out and about, which is something for her. Hopefully, this'll continue. Oh, last night Vince was downstairs watching TV. He was sitting on the home theater seating with Loki in his lap. Lance came downstairs, jumped on one of the other seats, sniffed Loki, and made himself comfortable.

Michele in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Just some random things I remembered skimming through the posts: strength to people with scary health issues (theirs or a loved one's). Kim: don't see your Fitbit on the photo. :wink:
    Mice: I think they're cute! Now spiders are another matter. :noway:

My dog is continuing to recover from the operation (abscess behind his eye). It's a slow process, but he's improving. We don't know anything about his sight yet; the eye is more or less sutured shut, so it's hard to tell whether he can see at all (the abscess would have put pressure on the optic nerve, so there's always the possibility that it's damaged). The drain and the sutures should be out around Wednesday, so I hope I'll have something good to report then. (His other eye is blind, so this is a pretty big deal.)

This morning he presented me with a stick, so at least that's a sign he's feeling a bit better. Of course we did not play with it. For my fellow dog people: there's no way to prove that this is what happened, but apparently this kind of abscess is very often caused by a wound in the mouth from a stick. My dog did (does) have an actual hole in the roof of his mouth, behind his last upper molar. There were also two loose lower teeth (they were pulled during the abscess operation). I knew playing with sticks could be dangerous, but thought the risk was minimal since I always threw them sideways (not overhand) and not right to him, so if they bounced they wouldn't hit him wrong. Also, he doesn't chew sticks; he just fetches them. But he has been very seriously ill and I am not going to throw sticks anymore, whether a stick caused this or not. We'll take a tennis ball with us or the rubber "stick" I have but keep forgetting. So my point is, please think long and hard about playing with sticks. It's hard to deny them when they love doing it, and I never thought it would happen to us, but...it can.

In other news, the bit of renovation we're doing (yeah, this is a totally stress-free month :huh: ) is hitting some milestones. The kitchen is done (that was just a new laminate floor and a new cupboard with countertop). One of the 4 rooms we're fixing up has been painted and the new carpeting will be put in tomorrow. This week is the start of replacing three windows.

No job news yet. It's starting to p*** me off.

Thanks for the good wishes; keep 'em coming!

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

P.S. Jane, how is your housing situation?
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello lovelies

I am sleeping so much! I think it's a mix of not feeling well and the meds I'm on - I'm just not used to spending this much time asleep. I desperately want to shake myself and be back to normal. It will happen, I just have to find some patience.

Hope you are all doing well. Sorry I'm not replying to everyone. Just know that I am still thinking of you all.

Love to all
    Amanda x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Amanda, sleep as much as you need to! Feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new here and would like to join in. Overweight all my life and tired of it. My research has convinced me that logging everything is the way to go. So I am giving this a whirl. I'm 3 days in and feeling positive for the first time in a long time! I appreciate having a place to list monthly goals. Thank you!

September goals:
    Track food and activity for 30 days
    Drink 64 oz. water daily
    Swim 2x a week
    Walk 4x a week

Thank you all,

Judy, Aurora IL
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ sorry I am late checking in, got up and went for a 3 mile walk and then stopped and talked to a neighbor.. DH out working on the chain link fence again, baked off a few dozen cookies for DFIL and DH..
    took pork chops out of the freezer, and am going to grill asparagus with it tonight...
    hope all is well with everyone...:heart::drinker:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I just got back from walking about 4 miles. Not quite at my 10,000 steps for the day, but I should make it easily this afternoon. I'm going with my DIL and two granddaughters to a Girl Scout event at 2:00. Not sure what it involves, but was happy to be invited.

We had a rug rolled up in the garage for about 5 years, and decided to bring it out to the lake. Luckily the horrible little mouse had not gotten into it! Well, we unrolled it this morning and vacuumed it real well and it turned out to be a perfect fit both in color and in size. I don't even remember why we quit using it in the house. Probably when we changed the decor. But now it has a new happy home. And it was free! Well, not when I originally bought it, but we thought we were going to need to buy a new rug for that spot, so we were glad not to.

Last month we were talking about macrame, and I mentioned an owl that I have here in the cabin. I finally remembered to take a picture. Now I can't remember how to post it, but I'll try.
    2871f166-78b0-45b9-86d2-6f1b8aa230e6.jpg

Judy in IL, welcome! Yes, you are right that logging is the key! Keep it up and you will get results. Just don't get discouraged when the going gets slow. And come back and visit with us often!

Cynthia, continuing to hope for good results for your pup! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Amanda, just rest and take good care of yourself.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon from Cornwall!:flowerforyou: It took us 5 and a bit hours to get here including a short stop to buy food.
    Very glad I was not driving as I kept micro napping.:noway: I tried my best to keep talking to DH to help him stay awake.
    I woke up early and got going on the packing before anyone else was up. We left at 9 am.
    We are settling in to our friends' house, but it is a bit strange - it's an eco house, heated by some wooden pellet system. We have to add pellets occasionally and hoover it out on Thursday. Also have to water the greenhouse, feed two cats and the wild birds and ducks! ! ! ! :ohwell: They have watering to do.:happy:

Barbie- I had the very most fattening things on the menu that I have not had for well over 2 years.:happy: :embarassed: I will rein back a bit for the holiday, but intend to eat to TDEE and sort out anything gained when I get home. I will be better behaved when I have slept properly.:noway: Tonight we will have the meatballs I brought in tomato sauce with green cauliflower. DH can have pasta as well, I will have a few threads.:bigsmile: We hope to do a lot of walking, but for the moment we are just collapsed on chairs in the living room.:bigsmile: Will have to feed the cats and water the tomatoes. :ohwell:
    R & R is definitely my priority!

Love to all. Heather in fabulous Cornwall UK
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,

Judy - welcome to the group. You can do it and if you look at all of the different amount of weigh the ladies have lost you'll see it is possible no matter how much or little you want to lose.

Just have a minute to post as we're getting ready to leave for John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore to visit our friend who has (had) colon cancer. Back in February, she began her treatment of chemo and radiation to try to shrink the tumor and then had surgery. She was supposed to have another round of chemo but she had a horrible reaction after the first dosage and they had to stop it. She had her reconstruction surgery on August 22 and thought she could go home after a few days. Well, apparently they nicked her intestines and now has some leakage into her legs. She is still in intense pain and scared. She is alone as her husband walked out on her Christmas Day the year prior and her mom died in December. She never had children. Also, during her first surgery, it is thought they bruised a nerve and she has numbness in her right leg now so she has been having to get around with crutches. They think it will get better over time but this is just one more thing she has had to deal with. All prayers for her would be appreciated. She is just 55 years old and her name is Sheri.

Last week we cooked a great pork loin in the slow cooker from a recipe that was online. I think it was Sylvia (but maybe not) that mentioned using the liner in the slow cooker. We used it for the first time and boy was that a saver! Thanks to whomever mentioned it.

Hope to check back in later today when we get home.

Weather is much cooler today as we had a storm and needed rain last night. Feels more like September.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Tina in MD
  • julsmill49
    julsmill49 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm back after a 3 month down time which did not serve me well. Spent way too many lazy summer days eating burgers and beer/wine. Would love to join this group. Thanks
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lesley: I hope the flu is short lived and you feel better quickly. I’ve been lucky enough to tolerate the flue vaccinations well, but some years they guess wrong and the flu that actually goes around isn’t covered in the vaccine. It has been less of a problem since I retired and don’t work with children every day.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: One of my daughter’s dogs has gone blind from diabetes. She thought he’d had a stroke and would have to be put down. When she got the diabetes diagnosis, the dog got a new lease on life. He gets one insulin shot per day, has lost weight and is healthier than ever. The blindness doesn’t seem to diminish his happiness. I gave the shots while I was there. It isn’t difficult. Congratulations on your renovation progress.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I’m so glad to see your post. Your body must need rest if you are sleeping a lot. I hope this surgery recovery goes smoothly.:flowerforyou:

Judy in Aurora IL: Welcome to a great group of women.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I love the macramé owl. Very cute. It brings back memories.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Cormwall! I think of King Arthur and the Round Table. I hope you’ll post a few pictures.:flowerforyou:

Tina in MD: I’m sending prayers for Shari. :flowerforyou:

I woke up this morning in my own bed, next to DH. Bliss. I am so happy to be home!!! I have internet again!!!! I’d hoped to be able to connect with our CO ladies, but had no internet, and was busy every minute taking care of DD, the children, the house, the pets… You get the picture. I even lost a few pounds unintentionally. This is a lifetime first, and much less welcome than I expected. I don’t think I look haggard, but I was beginning to feel that way. If I had my wish, DD would live closer to me. If she had her wish, I’d move closer to her. Stalemate, at least for now. I love my home and don’t want to move.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I would like to join this group. I had a mild concussion about 5 weeks ago and couldn't exercise, go to the gym, etc and I gained back the 7 pounds that I had lost prior to that! :-(
    I should lose about 20 pounds which includes the 7 that I regained!
    Looking forward to being part of this great group of 50+ women.
    Cheers!