I prefer not get weight loss comments

Options

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    What a ridiculous politically correct world we are living in now. You can compliment, you can't criticize, everything offends everyone. We might as well act like robots. Everyone is so damn sensitive.

You beat me to it. This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. I think it is really sad the way we have to watch everything we say because it might offend someone.

This and this.

Also, I've noticed when someone says, "You look great; did you lose weight?" they often follow the question with, "I need to get in shape. How did you do it?" It's rarely meant as an insult, in my experience, and I had truckloads of "you'd be so pretty if you lost the weight" comments 60+lbs ago.
    Also, some people aren't so good at communication. So, I cut them some slack.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm quite shy, and I get very uncomfortable with any comments about my weight loss. Something like "You look great!" feels nice, but anything that explicitly mentions weight loss makes me self conscious. Most people don't intend to be mean, but weight loss compliments can imply you were ugly or enormous before. I'd prefer people just not comment on it - I consider it kind of a private thing.

edit: I don't get offended by it, but I think people shouldn't bring it up unless the person who lost weight says something. Then it's clear that they want to talk about it.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I get really "antsy" when anyone comments on how I relate to the entire Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, I've noticed when someone says, "You look great; did you lose weight?" they often follow the question with, "I need to get in shape. How did you do it?" It's rarely meant as an insult, in my experience, and I had truckloads of "you'd be so pretty if you lost the weight" comments 60+lbs ago.
    Also, some people aren't so good at communication. So, I cut them some slack.

This.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Oh, for pete's sake! This reminds me of my favorite quote: "We live in the land of the perpetually offended".

Take the compliment in the spirit it was intended and move on with your life. There are way bigger things out there to worry about than someone who thinks you look great because you put in the hard work to make yourself healthy.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Young female co-worker complimented me on how nice I looked in "those pants." Ehhh, awkward! I have no idea what I responded back, but I'm sure it was lame... Ummmm, thanks? Yes, I will be wearing those pants more often. Ha! :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If someone tells me they like my haircut I don't automatically jump to the conclusion that they must have thought I looked terrible before.
    This whole thread makes me sad. You really are "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

Yep.

Then the OP will complain no one is talking to her, :laugh: , that is rude. :ohwell: :laugh:
  • willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, for pete's sake! This reminds me of my favorite quote: "We live in the land of the perpetually offended".

Take the compliment in the spirit it was intended and move on with your life. There are way bigger things out there to worry about than someone who thinks you look great because you put in the hard work to make yourself healthy.

Preferring not to get them doesn't mean you are offended by them :)
  • Serah87
    Options
    What a ridiculous politically correct world we are living in now. You can compliment, you can't criticize, everything offends everyone. We might as well act like robots. Everyone is so damn sensitive.

You beat me to it. This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. I think it is really sad the way we have to watch everything we say because it might offend someone.

+1
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

No one should EVER comment on another person's weight, unless asked. And then one should be very careful to not imply that being a lesser weight is any more attractive or healthy (it most certainly is NOT necessarily healthier, it can be even LESS healthy to be of a lower weight) than to be at a higher weight.

Yet some people will get butthurt if they're losing weight and no one says anything. Some people even quit because no one says anything.
    People really can't win.
  • Serah87
    Options

Preferring not to get them doesn't mean you are offended by them :)

The what would you call it?? Ohhhh a compliment!!! :laugh:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Damned if I do, damned it I don't. Oh well...

ETA. I see someone beat me to it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

The rule isn't in place because people might be offended. It's because in general, it's not proper to make comments to people about their bodies. Makes people uncomfortable.

Also, they may be sick. They may not be pleased about the weight loss and the illness. Bringing it up puts them on the spot and can upset them. If they didn't happen to be thinking about their medical stuff at the moment, that's like hitting them with a truck, bringing it up (in their head) out of nowhere.

Throw in drugs, eating disorders, depression, and a myriad of other things and you have the reason.

If it's someone who has shared that they're trying to lose weight, that's a little different. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    And for every one of these posts there are many more where people complain that nobody is commenting on their weight loss.

It's one of those things where people just can't win no matter what they do.

Bingo. lol
  • Serah87
    Options
    Pretty soon "hello" and "thank you" will be considered offending words.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

The rule isn't in place because people might be offended. It's because in general, it's not proper to make comments to people about their bodies. Makes people uncomfortable.

Also, they may be sick. They may not be pleased about the weight loss and the illness. Bringing it up puts them on the spot and can upset them. If they didn't happen to be thinking about their medical stuff at the moment, that's like hitting them with a truck, bringing it up (in their head) out of nowhere.

Throw in drugs, eating disorders, depression, and a myriad of other things and you have the reason.

If it's someone who has shared that they're trying to lose weight, that's a little different. :)

This
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hate them, too! For me, it always means that the other person is paying WAY too much attention to another person's body. And honestly, they are always weirdly mean.

Last Xmas, maybe 10 or 15lbs down and in front of children (therefore displaying to them that commenting on women's bodies is all fine and dandy, argh), my sister in law's father said to me, "You've lost ENORMOUS amounts of weight."

So, um, I was swimming in an ocean of fat before, I guess? And also, stfu. None of your business.

Recently, I have a different friend who was on a diet herself, lost 50 lbs and was telling everyone, but no longer is dieting and seems to have made it her mission to comment on my body every time I see her.

A couple of weeks ago:
    "If you keep losing weight, you won't be shopping in plus size stores anymore!"
    Jerk, I'm ALREADY not shopping in plus-size stores. Thanks for your not-really-a-compliment.

Yesterday:
    "You are just WASTING AWAY!"

Um...thanks? I think?

Anyway, I'm sure that my friend isn't out there trying to be mean to me. In fact, she probably thinks she's doing what I want her to do, regardless of my reaction, but the truth is, I don't appreciate the scrutiny. Especially since it seems these days like everyone who compliments me on my weight loss then proceeds to quite literally shove food in my face.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Pretty soon "hello" and "thank you" will be considered offending words.

Op clearly stated that she doesn't get offended or upset when someone comments but prefers not to get them .I am the same way with OP, I prefer when people don't comment on my weight loss either as I find it akward.I just see weight as personal thing.I don't get offended when someone comments and I just say thank you and change the subject. we are all different, just because you like people to comment on your body doesn't mean everyone does.What if the weight loss was a result of a disease or stress ? Also what if you where to gain weight? Would like people to comment as well?
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I hate them, too! For me, it always means that the other person is paying WAY too much attention to another person's body. And honestly, they are always weirdly mean.

Last Xmas, maybe 10 or 15lbs down and in front of children (therefore displaying to them that commenting on women's bodies is all fine and dandy, argh), my sister in law's father said to me, "You've lost ENORMOUS amounts of weight."

So everything your children see implies that it's a "fine and dandy" practice? Perhaps it's your job to explain to them what's right and wrong in case, you know, they aren't living in a bubble.

It's not the rest of the world's responsibility to behave the way you would like them to, even if it's in front of (gasp) your children.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

So everything your children see implies that it's a "fine and dandy" practice? Perhaps it's your job to explain to them what's right and wrong in case, you know, they aren't living in a bubble.

It's not the rest of the world's responsibility to behave the way you would like them to, even if it's in front of (gasp) your children.

Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear. I don't have children. They're my nephews and niece, and I was in her father's house, so I really didn't feel in a position to say anything about what should and should not be said.