Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options

Replies

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has their favorite, but I've found that the chocolate peppermint Luna bars are awesome for my chocolate cravings... I get one and divide in in 1/2 or 1/4s and have a bite at a time. DELICIOUS!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There was zucchini bread brought in today.. I mean.. homemade zucchini bread.. i even put butter on it :):)

I didn't eat the M&Ms or the cookies or the chocolate bars though..

I did eat the peaches another person brought in.

I'll just have to kick box the bread out of me.. :smokin:
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay, so let's say no one brings in treats anymore. Then what? Temptation is everywhere. You have to learn how to manage it.

Also, it's difficult for most people, not just you.
    [/quote]

Let's put the responsibility lays with me part to the side for just a moment and talk about your last comment. You just reinforced my thoughts. If it's difficult for most people, why do we do this to each other? Not having treats doesn't hurt anyone but having treats does. It's okay once in a while, like holidays or for a fun in the middle of the month for no reason. But everyday? I keep that jar of weird fake sand at my desk which always brings people by to play with and socialize. I don't need candy in my office to accomplish that. Again, I know responsibility lays with me and I wouldn't never dare again to ask someone to stop bringing in candy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hi again - OP here. I got a lot of "it's not all about you" comments which really bugged me. I just got a very nice note from someone that made me really think about the real reason I posted my rant and made me realize why the comments bugged me. My whole thought process comes from the fact that if i knew that someone in my office was working really hard to stay away from treats, I personally wouldn't bring them in and make it harder for them. They don't want it and I don't need it. It is my personality not to be the person that makes anything harder for another person. So sometimes it boggles my mind that others don't think the same way and I just can't understand. So that's where it came from.

But like other comments said, I can't change other people's behaviors (which I actually tell my husband all the time about his mother) so I need to change mind. Thank you for the reminder.

Well here's the thing. How commonplace is it for people to bring treats into the office? Honestly, I don't believe that there is one person in your office that is concerned enough with your weight loss to intentionally sabotage you. That's still that thinking that someone else is to blame for your lack of self-control. You have to quit thinking like that. Your coworkers are living their lives.

Even if there is someone there that wants you to fail, then they aren't really interested in keeping you fat, but to get a reaction out of you. And you're giving it to them.

ETA - Odds are that if you already asked them not to do it, then they did intentionally do it just to piss you off. Still... you let it piss you off, and you didn't have to.

So I never once in a million years thought that anyone did it on purpose to make things harder for me. Maybe I am naive. And it is every day. I think there are at least three people that have huge buckets that they fill weekly. One even has a pumpkin bucket from halloween.

Okay. Well then, they are just going about their daily lives nomming on delicious candy. And you must find a way to deal with it.

Maliciousness is few and far between, but I have encountered it. But like I said, I really didn't think that was going on in your office.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here....for sabotage.

black-and-tan-sundae.jpg
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with office treats. They are tempting, but I know how to walk past without taking one, lol. Not everyone there is going to be restricting sweets, so it's a nice treat for them (or maybe they build room to eat this stuff from time to time into their diet? not my business, I don't care). I've brought in cookies because recipes always make way more than just me and the boyfriend can eat at home. I don't do it often, though.

I do have one rant, though. I have this coworker who nags me about the food I am or am not eating. Our teams went to a company lunch and I skipped the heavy biscuit they put in my salad and I just had the bbq chicken and veggies and a bit of dressing. He starts going on and on about this stupid biscuit, asking questions about why I'm not eating it. I'm trying to get by with a "I just don't want the biscuit" or "Who cares?" but it didn't really end it. He just keeps going. He also tends to shame me publically for this one time he brought in donuts and pigs in blankets and I ate quite a bit of it.

So, office treats = not a problem. A-hole coworkers = gtfo

Just remember, MOST people will take a polite "No thanks" without an explanation. You don't owe it to them to talk about your diet. It's okay to just not want the food. For the people that won't, just roll your eyes at them, or come up with something equally uncomfortable to get them to go away. Stare at them creepily til they give up and leave you alone, or call them out on their bull****. Why is it their business? Why do they have to know about your stupid biscuit? What's it to them? Do you want the biscuit? You can have my biscuit. You seem to think it is flaky and delicious and should be tempting to me, so here, let me just throw it at your stupid face. >.>
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here....for sabotage.

black-and-tan-sundae.jpg

This is just such a beautiful sight... it brings a tear to my eye
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with office treats. They are tempting, but I know how to walk past without taking one, lol. Not everyone there is going to be restricting sweets, so it's a nice treat for them (or maybe they build room to eat this stuff from time to time into their diet? not my business, I don't care). I've brought in cookies because recipes always make way more than just me and the boyfriend can eat at home. I don't do it often, though.

I do have one rant, though. I have this coworker who nags me about the food I am or am not eating. Our teams went to a company lunch and I skipped the heavy biscuit they put in my salad and I just had the bbq chicken and veggies and a bit of dressing. He starts going on and on about this stupid biscuit, asking questions about why I'm not eating it. I'm trying to get by with a "I just don't want the biscuit" or "Who cares?" but it didn't really end it. He just keeps going. He also tends to shame me publically for this one time he brought in donuts and pigs in blankets and I ate quite a bit of it.

So, office treats = not a problem. A-hole coworkers = gtfo

Just remember, MOST people will take a polite "No thanks" without an explanation. You don't owe it to them to talk about your diet. It's okay to just not want the food. For the people that won't, just roll your eyes at them, or come up with something equally uncomfortable to get them to go away. Stare at them creepily til they give up and leave you alone, or call them out on their bull****. Why is it their business? Why do they have to know about your stupid biscuit? What's it to them? Do you want the biscuit? You can have my biscuit. You seem to think it is flaky and delicious and should be tempting to me, so here, let me just throw it at your stupid face. >.>

truth.
    that pushy person gets the
    "when I want to look like you...." comment. no mercy for people like that.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum. There's umpteen kinds. Also diet sodas or crystal light. Or bring your own sugar free candies. I used to have a giant container of the crystal light ones.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I work in a manufacturing plant where they make chocolate, candy and nuts. Every day there are temptations in the office, fresh chocolate covered almonds, chocolate covered hazelnuts, chocolate covered ju jubes etc.

There are always fresh roasted cashews, almonds, hazelnuts....and then there is candy, wine gums, jelly beans.
    Just name it and we make it.

Its always available and always fresh. All of the above tastes better when it is fresh.

However, no one is force feeding me. I want it but usually just pass on by.....I have the most control over the situation. Its all on me.

I'm only here because of my weekend alcohol abuse. LOL, I cant pass by red wine the same way as I do office treats but I'm trying to be good.:drinker:
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh honey... I know you're just ranting and need to get it off your chest, but sometimes, it's not all about you. Part of losing weight is learning how to control yourself. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't ask them not to bring the treats unless you're allergic to them. Sorry again! :flowerforyou:

sweetest disagreeing post ever :smile: :flowerforyou:

hope you rub off on the haters in these forums!
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the OP and have responded about three pages back. Just want to say again that you were all right. Some of you used supportive words and others were quite harsh. I took both types of comments and came to the conclusion that it's in my hands. I can make the decision to eat the snacks or not. Even the ridiculous amounts of "get a grip" comments are helpful. So thanks. I needed that kick in the pants. *whispers* Can it please stop now *huddles in corner with arms protecting head"?

This OP is neat. I like this one. You go, OP! Let me know if you ever want/need a friend.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    wow... a thread where i actually agree with everyone! :laugh:
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Try to spin it into a good thing. You said you are notorious for having no will power....just think about it as you're practicing your willpower. Sounds lame, but maybe it'll help. Every time you resist the candy, you win!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Oh honey... I know you're just ranting and need to get it off your chest, but sometimes, it's not all about you. Part of losing weight is learning how to control yourself. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't ask them not to bring the treats unless you're allergic to them. Sorry again! :flowerforyou:

sweetest disagreeing post ever :smile: :flowerforyou:

hope you rub off on the haters in these forums!

Ya, especially the one comparing people eating treats in her office to "pigs to a trough"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If food is coming to the workplace, it better end up like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vLBMEWexoI
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    Like others have said before, there will ALWAYS be temptation. You have to learn how to avoid it, be it just say no or bring your own healthy snacks and don't deviate from that.

One thing that helps me is that I remind myself that some of these same co-workers who are always bringing donuts, cake, chips, etc, are the same ones who are always complaining about how they can't lose weight. I remind myself that the behavior that they themselves are doing is what's sabotaging them, and then ask myself if it's a route I want to follow.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a 12-step poster but "own your own program". Are you bringing your healthy snacks to the office. If you have something at your desk worth looking forward to it will be easier to walk past. Try the emerald dark chocolate peanut butter or cinnamon almonds. They are delightful and good for you. It is up to you to stay in the safe zone with your eating, no one else. My coworkers know I watch my food, so they bring it in but don't offer it to me verbally. It's a struggle but finding balance can't be the responsibility of others.:flowerforyou:

Honestly this.^

Hubby's paleo and we are going to a party this weekend where there will likely be a bunch of things he chooses not to eat. So I'm gonna buy a deviled eggs taker for 3 bucks at Party City and make some deviled eggs to take so I can be sure there is at least one thing he can eat. I plan to top half with crumbled bacons, half with cayenne pepper, and half with tomato slices. Then another half I'm gonna leave plain. If I have time I might chop some chives for another half. I know I went way over on halves here but I never claimed to be a math genius.

GAHHH!!! stop tempting me with your delicious egginess!!!

oh wait... eggs i can have. bacon too. never mind, carry on :drinker:
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I work in an environment where food is always being brought in. We just had Labor Day weekend where there was chocolate, cookies, ice-cream, pizza, subs, chips, etc. Temptation abounds at every turn. :devil: In a perfect world we would all be counting our calories and weighing our food, but this is not the world we live in.:ohwell: I agree that the control lies within me and if I want to really get this weight off then I have to walk away with a "no thank you" or make it work within my daily calories. Is that easy for me? NO!!! :sad: :bigsmile:
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    Steps to beating that office snack attack!

Step one: Take responsibility for your own actions.
    Step Two: Close your mouth
    Step Three: Do not try to forcibly insert food via the closed mouth. (Crumbs get everywhere)

With those three simple steps you can be totally cured of your office snacking habit! I'll be charging your credit card a one time fee of only 19.99 for my diet saving advice. (I think I can totally make a fortune on those three little steps!) Thanks!

With the amount of these threads being posted each week, you could be a billionaire in no time!

I'm gonna be rolling in the money!! Who else needs dieting advice????
    Meeeeeeee! !!!!!