Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options

Replies

• zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had my office change the bagels, donuts and muffins on Saturdays to bagels and fruit instead! maybe if you could have a tray of healthy foods around, you'll at least have a choice instead of being surrounded by what you can't have
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, 10 pages of posts in one day. Don't have time to read them all so I skipped to the end, sorry. Yeah, OP some folks here are kinda "tell it like it is" and some of those comments can sting. Glad you see that it's just all meant to help you be accountable for yourself. I live down the street from a McDonalds. Haven't been there in a year but I have to drive past the damned place every day and face that temptation head-on, especially when I'm starved and craving a McDouble :sad:

Bring your own snacks, eat well for lunch and take pride that while you're being smart with your food choices, the "pigs at the trough" are blindly porking themselves up. They are gonna make their own choices. You make yours and feel power in that!
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I once had a supervisor who asked me to leave the candy jar on my desk so our team could get to it and it wasn't sitting on her desk. I didn't mind because I rarely ate any of it. As it is, my new job always has stuff coming through; I work in an oil field so people coming up from in town bring donuts, cookies, etc. I think about the calories I'm taking in and decide if it's worth it. If it's gonna be junk calories, it might as well be good and greasy donuts don't do it for me. Everyone's different though. Willpower! :0)
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the way through, OP, so I apologize if this is a repeat suggestion, but have you tried going into the office with 200-400 calories set aside for surprise treats? If you don't eat them, you have more calories to look forward to when you get home.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So what your saying is that everyone in your office should change because you want them to? SMH :huh: it sounds like you need to get over yourself. Ultimately your weight loss is not their problem, why do you think that they should make it their issue?
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Would we be having this conversation if everyone in the office was bringing in fruits and vegetables?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but it's so weird to me when people call candy/baked goods "treats"... I give my dog treats...
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Ok so my first thought when I read what the OP wrote was that she needs to seek professional help because that is some serious mental issues going on there to think they are doing it to you to be cruel. BUT as I scrolled through I saw that she realized she was being ridiculous and that it isn't all about her so hey, that is a good thing. She learned, she grew, she admitted she was being a bit over the top.

So my advice to the OP - if you really don't want to eat it and have a hard time resisting, just imagine that everyone sneezed on it first. That is what I suggest to people at work when they don't want to eat any treats. Came up with the idea after that actually happened in the office - saw a girl sneeze on the open box of donuts - gross.
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If food is coming to the workplace, it better end up like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vLBMEWexoI

Now I want honey.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Only read as far as this reply from OP before posting:
    Okay, Okay !!! I surrender!!

I know I need to take responsibility. I just wish I could get everyone to cooperate for like 2 weeks so I get the sugar out of my system to make this a little easier on me. I know realistically that isn't going to happen but neither is being accepted into Hogwarts and becoming a wizard. Doesn't mean I can't dream about it. :) I mean 35 is just to old, I need to face the facts. I will never be a wizard.

So cruel was to harsh of a word. I'm just frustrated. Thank you all for putting me in my place and getting me back on the straight and narrow. I got a kick out of many of the responses and down right laughed out loud at others. And others.., well you know what those were like. And I deserved it so... yeah. I've got my big girl pants on right here, I'm gonna put them on and NOT walk over to the cookies.

That's the spirit. Seriously, nice reply to some blunt commentary about your rant. Most everyone should enjoy a good rant every now and again -- but responding to the inevitable fall-out from it is an art. Very well done, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction to OP's post that pretty much everybody else did. However, it seems like 10 pages of people saying the exact same *****y things is overkill. If you read the first several pages, saw that people had already posted what you felt about it, and then proceeded to post an aggressive repeat of what they said, you need to calm down. She's already heard it, and responded to it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction to OP's post that pretty much everybody else did. However, it seems like 10 pages of people saying the exact same *****y things is overkill. If you read the first several pages, saw that people had already posted what you felt about it, and then proceeded to post an aggressive repeat of what they said, you need to calm down. She's already heard it, and responded to it.

Most of the time people don't read the whole thread, they are just responding to the OP. Why they don't read the middle is beyond me, cause these types of threads are entertaining :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the way through, OP, so I apologize if this is a repeat suggestion, but have you tried going into the office with 200-400 calories set aside for surprise treats? If you don't eat them, you have more calories to look forward to when you get home.
    :happy: :happy:
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok so my first thought when I read what the OP wrote was that she needs to seek professional help because that is some serious mental issues going on there to think they are doing it to you to be cruel. BUT as I scrolled through I saw that she realized she was being ridiculous and that it isn't all about her so hey, that is a good thing. She learned, she grew, she admitted she was being a bit over the top.

So my advice to the OP - if you really don't want to eat it and have a hard time resisting, just imagine that everyone sneezed on it first. That is what I suggest to people at work when they don't want to eat any treats. Came up with the idea after that actually happened in the office - saw a girl sneeze on the open box of donuts - gross.

OMG - That is the best idea yet. I can bring in all the snacks possible but they never seem to stop the craving. Imagining someone sneezed on it will work wonders!!!
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!! I mean talk about beating a dead horse.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

as long as it's here- and people click and read the first post- it'll keep happening.

Izokay.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Animal cruelty is wrong, OP. I'm pretty sure that your beating horses to death makes you a very bad person.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm not going to berate you (the first several responders already did that!). I am going to make some suggestions, though.

Bring a cup of fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries, grapes, etc. Eat these when you're tempted to eat candy. They're sweet enough to satisfy a sweets craving, but at least they're good for you instead of being empty calories.

Buy some dark chocolate (like the Ghirardelli). Bring ONE piece with you to work. Dark chocolate actually has some health benefits (just don't drink milk with it), so again, not empty calories.

Reward yourself when you get home and haven't "cheated" all day.

Since you have a two hour commute, use your lunch break to walk, even if it's just inside the building where you work. Go walk the stairs or something. I find that when I exercise in the morning, I'm less likely to cheat since I don't want to undo all my hard work!

Unless you are limiting carbs for some reason, pretzels make a good salty treat.

Before you eat ANYTHING, drink at least a cup of water.

Just a few suggestions to hopefully help with the temptation. It IS tough to resist, especially when it's all the time. But some simple substitutions will help satisfy you without having to deprive yourself.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here. I have a sweet tooth, too, and I have to fight this temptation daily!
  • crissgr
    crissgr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow, really? 11 pages of the same old same? :huh:
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You should try working in Miami!...All kinds of Cuban pastries all over the place!...Mmmmm pastelito...lol it's very tempting but you have to be strong and drink lots of water...good luck