Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this would help, but this is my thinking (now granted, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so i am sure its easier said than done):

My office has about 7 permanent candy jars always filled, by everyone. (Its there now as a memorial to a lost coworker who used to bring it in all the time - we called him The Candy Man). However it is right in my line of sight. I see people going for candy every day - my train of thought is, "eh it's there all the time, I'll get some later" - basically I take it for granted. (I still have Peeps on my desk from Easter - probably make great paperweights now).

Like I said, I realize not having a sweet tooth at all, makes it easier, but if you can talk yourself into a similar mindset, it may help.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but one trick that may help is to keep a toothbrush and paste handy. Brush your teeth a couple of times throughout your workday.

Or, chew sugarless gum that you enjoy! The enjoy part is crucial.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Because they are secretly trying to sabotage your diet.

Seriously though asking people to not bring in treats is ridiculous. It's not their fault you have no self control. Why should they be held responsible because you can't walk by a cookie without grabbing one (or ten)? And how do you know it's the people who don't eat the stuff? Are you assuming that because maybe they're thin or eat salad for lunch or work out?

Seriously, just don't look at the treats. If you feel the need to grab one go for a walk, eat your lunch, put on your headphones and listen to music.

No one is forcing you to eat those foods except you.
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm not going to berate you (the first several responders already did that!). I am going to make some suggestions, though.

Bring a cup of fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries, grapes, etc. Eat these when you're tempted to eat candy. They're sweet enough to satisfy a sweets craving, but at least they're good for you instead of being empty calories.

Buy some dark chocolate (like the Ghirardelli). Bring ONE piece with you to work. Dark chocolate actually has some health benefits (just don't drink milk with it), so again, not empty calories.

Reward yourself when you get home and haven't "cheated" all day.

Since you have a two hour commute, use your lunch break to walk, even if it's just inside the building where you work. Go walk the stairs or something. I find that when I exercise in the morning, I'm less likely to cheat since I don't want to undo all my hard work!

Unless you are limiting carbs for some reason, pretzels make a good salty treat.

Before you eat ANYTHING, drink at least a cup of water.

Just a few suggestions to hopefully help with the temptation. It IS tough to resist, especially when it's all the time. But some simple substitutions will help satisfy you without having to deprive yourself.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here. I have a sweet tooth, too, and I have to fight this temptation daily!

I really like your suggestions, most helpful ones yet. Thank you.
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction to OP's post that pretty much everybody else did. However, it seems like 10 pages of people saying the exact same *****y things is overkill. If you read the first several pages, saw that people had already posted what you felt about it, and then proceeded to post an aggressive repeat of what they said, you need to calm down. She's already heard it, and responded to it.

THANK YOU!! I mean talk about beating a dead horse.

Animal cruelty is wrong, OP. I'm pretty sure that your beating horses to death makes you a very bad person.

I thought we determined that I don't have a grip on reality and it's all about me and I am making everyone around me miserable in a treatless world?? What do I care of horses. :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    oh lord.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Oh honey... I know you're just ranting and need to get it off your chest, but sometimes, it's not all about you. Part of losing weight is learning how to control yourself. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't ask them not to bring the treats unless you're allergic to them. Sorry again! :flowerforyou:

This ^^ :smile:

If they aren't bringing it directly to your desk and insisting that you eat it, then they have every right to bring whatever they want to the office. Just like you have every right to bring in whatever you want. Why not bake up some healthy oat bars, muffins or arrange a healthy potluck style lunch?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    On Thursdays when we have a weekly meeting at work normally we have brownies and cookies, today there was veggies and hummus. Doesn't my work know I am trying to bulk? Why are they attempting to sabotage my bulk? Not cool. THANKS, OBAMA.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction to OP's post that pretty much everybody else did. However, it seems like 10 pages of people saying the exact same *****y things is overkill. If you read the first several pages, saw that people had already posted what you felt about it, and then proceeded to post an aggressive repeat of what they said, you need to calm down. She's already heard it, and responded to it.

THANK YOU!! I mean talk about beating a dead horse.

Animal cruelty is wrong, OP. I'm pretty sure that your beating horses to death makes you a very bad person.

I thought we determined that it's all about me and making everyone around me miserable in a treatless world?? What do I care of horses. :)

OP, you're alright. :flowerforyou:
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The learning point we should all be taking from this thread is that nobody should have a two-hour commute. That's just ridiculous.