Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have to say this thread is very interesting and has reveled a lot. Many people are very jealous of others success. They don't feel they deserve it. They want to take from one group and give it to another just based on what they perceive to be fair. I wonder how the same people would feel If I thought it would be fair to give some of their salary to other employees in the company ... to be fair you are making more then so and so and he /deserves more money.

Sad but this thread is just a microcosm of what is going on in our society today.

A lot of pitting one group against another in the name of fairness.

I agree with this. I had a response pages back about what it takes to start a business, the money time and money, the years of no profit because you're putting everything back into what you're starting and got scoffed at. Obviously there aren't a lot of business owners that are responding to this topic. If there were then there would be a lot more understanding instead of outrage and the "It's not FAAAAIIIIIIR!"

Not every entrepreneur came from money.

You are right on the money...
    People don't realize what it takes to start and run your own biz. If they did they wouldn't be so quick to give other peoples money away.

And that applies to this thread how? Is there a great concern over the number of startup, mom & pop, fast food restaurants out there?

Ray Kroc has been dead a long time people. You don't need to worry about him. For the most part we're discussing billion dollar a year, multi-national corporations. Mom & pop joints barely even hire minimum wage employees, they do those jobs themselves to save money.

Who's talking about a Mom & Pop joint? You really don't think it takes a lot of time and effort to create a business that is worth billions of dollars? Do you think these multi billion dollar companies were magically created?

ETA: Have you ever watched the show The Shark Tank where every day people who have a business or an ideago to investors with their ideas because they need money to grow and expand. They're every day people who have a dream of making billions of dollars. Is that wrong of them? Should they not seek additional funding because they want to expand?

A lot of these people have sunk their time and hard earned money into their idea and their business and have no funds left to expand. THAT is how a multi-billion dollar company is created.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have to say this thread is very interesting and has reveled a lot. Many people are very jealous of others success. They don't feel they deserve it. They want to take from one group and give it to another just based on what they perceive to be fair. I wonder how the same people would feel If I thought it would be fair to give some of their salary to other employees in the company ... to be fair you are making more then so and so and he /deserves more money.

To paraphrase Chris Rock... if make a million dollars a year and you have to give someone 500,000, it might suck but you aren't going to starve or anything. But if you make 30,000 and you have to give someone 15,000, you might be living on the streets very shortly. Just saying it's different depending on how much money you have, the impact that 'giving it away' has on you.

I'm honestly curious how you can justify people hoarding millions and billions of dollars to themselves. What for? What could they possibly need all that money for? Shouldn't some of it be collected via taxes so it can help fund our roads, water, police, firemen, hospitals, power infrastructure, and all the things that the country needs to run smoothly? All the infrastructure that made it possible for them to amass their Smaug-sized hoards of gold? I don't believe everyone should be forced to have equal wealth, but there's a point where the inequality just gets ridiculous. In a wealthy country like the US there should not be citizens that work 80 hours a week and still don't have a pot to piss in.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Entry level jobs are not meant to sustain independence let alone a family.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Sad but this thread is just a microcosm of what is going on in our society today.

I agree with this. I had a response pages back about what it takes to start a business, the money time and money, the years of no profit because you're putting everything back into what you're starting and got scoffed at. Obviously there aren't a lot of business owners that are responding to this topic. If there were then there would be a lot more understanding instead of outrage and the "It's not FAAAAIIIIIIR!"

Not every entrepreneur came from money.

You are right on the money...
    People don't realize what it takes to start and run your own biz. If they did they wouldn't be so quick to give other peoples money away.

And that applies to this thread how? Is there a great concern over the number of startup, mom & pop, fast food restaurants out there?

Ray Kroc has been dead a long time people. You don't need to worry about him. For the most part we're discussing billion dollar a year, multi-national corporations. Mom & pop joints barely even hire minimum wage employees, they do those jobs themselves to save money.

Wrong, it isn't the multi-national companies with the CEO's making millions of dollars a year that this only effects. It effects the Dairy Queen franchise that is owned by a local family just trying to do better for their kids than they had it. It effects the convenience store on the corner that is locally owned. Some of you are right, it probably wouldn't hurt the companies like McD's very much. They will compensate somehow. However, the local small business owners will hurt the most. It would probably hurt their employees the most because some will have to be let go or cut to part time while the owner will probably have to pick up hours to compensate for the higher wages they are having to pay.

That's OK though. Lets stick it to the man. The man that helped create a company, or grow the company to the point that it could employ so many people.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

To paraphrase Chris Rock... if make a million dollars a year and you have to give someone 500,000, it might suck but you aren't going to starve or anything. But if you make 30,000 and you have to give someone 15,000, you might be living on the streets very shortly. Just saying it's different depending on how much money you have, the impact that 'giving it away' has on you.

I'm honestly curious how you can justify people hoarding millions and billions of dollars to themselves. What for? What could they possibly need all that money for? Shouldn't some of it be collected via taxes so it can help fund our roads, water, police, firemen, hospitals, power infrastructure, and all the things that the country needs to run smoothly? All the infrastructure that made it possible for them to amass their Smaug-sized hoards of gold? I don't believe everyone should be forced to have equal wealth, but there's a point where the inequality just gets ridiculous. In a wealthy country like the US there should not be citizens that work 80 hours a week and still don't have a pot to piss in.

And who are you to tell someone how much is enough?

And businesses pay taxes. They pay a LOT of taxes. Every quarter they pay taxes. They also have to pick up things like the Employment taxes (Social security and Medicare taxes, Federal income tax withholding, Federal unemployment (FUTA) tax)
    workers compensation, insurance -- property, E&O, D&O, EPL, Fiduciary (if they're big enough and they have a certain number of employees, board members, offer 401K's etc).

It's laughable that people think company's don't pay taxes.

My husband is a business owner and the amount of taxes he has to shell out per quarter would astound you and that has nothing to do with what he has to pay out at the end of every year.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

There's actually a word for what you're describing; it's called "charitable contributions".

I've worked hard to get where I am; I did a four year degree while working 2-3 part time jobs at a time (in the summers 1 full time, 2 part time) and basically didn't sleep to finance that. I've got experience in my field, I'm fantastic at my job, and I've built a skill set that is hard to come by, so I'm well compensated for it.

I do think that those who make more than enough to take care of themselves and whoever may be dependent on them should be helping those who are struggling, because quite frankly, if you're middle to upper class and you can pay your bills, you live in a country where you have access to clean water, food, etc it's not a crazy concept to think that you should be willing to help others who didn't happen to win the birth lottery (whether in your own country or abroad).

I put 10% (sometimes more) of my income towards charitable contributions and I've never made more than 12k a year (and don't worry, I've got student debt, I pay rent and utilities, I own a car which I have insurance on, buy my own food etc). If everyone in the world who could afford to put 10%, hell, 1% of the money they made towards helping others we would be significantly better off as a global society.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I'm a nobody. But a billion is enough to where you and about 20 generations of offspring would never have to work or want for anything in the world for their entire lives. Why does anyone need more than that? You answered my question with a question. Why does someone need a billion dollars?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Why does someone need $100k?
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

And businesses pay taxes. They pay a LOT of taxes. Every quarter they pay taxes. They also have to pick up things like the Employment taxes (Social security and Medicare taxes, Federal income tax withholding, Federal unemployment (FUTA) tax)
    workers compensation, insurance -- property, E&O, D&O, EPL, Fiduciary (if they're big enough and they have a certain number of employees, board members, offer 401K's etc).

It's laughable that people think company's don't pay taxes.

My husband is a business owner and the amount of taxes he has to shell out per quarter would astound you and that has nothing to do with what he has to pay out at the end of every year.

I own my own biz So I know what it takes to keep it going. I pay plenty of taxes A lot more then my employees. . Who are you to say how much money I or any other CEO yes I am the CEO of my own company can make?? Biz owners take the risk put up our own money and many times go without taking home a salary to keep our employees and bills paid. No one wants to talk about that. No one ever brings up the many hours spent and money made and reinvested into a biz.

I work more then 80 hours a week and there were many times early on I didn't have a pot to piss in. I didn't whine about it. I kept working to grow my biz. Like I said in my earlier post a microcosm of society today. Give it to me its not fair you make more money then me
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

There's actually a word for what you're describing; it's called "charitable contributions".

I've worked hard to get where I am; I did a four year degree while working 2-3 part time jobs at a time (in the summers 1 full time, 2 part time) and basically didn't sleep to finance that. I've got experience in my field, I'm fantastic at my job, and I've built a skill set that is hard to come by, so I'm well compensated for it.

I do think that those who make more than enough to take care of themselves and whoever may be dependent on them should be helping those who are struggling, because quite frankly, if you're middle to upper class and you can pay your bills, you live in a country where you have access to clean water, food, etc it's not a crazy concept to think that you should be willing to help others who didn't happen to win the birth lottery (whether in your own country or abroad).

I put 10% (sometimes more) of my income towards charitable contributions and I've never made more than 12k a year (and don't worry, I've got student debt, I pay rent and utilities, I own a car which I have insurance on, buy my own food etc). If everyone in the world who could afford to put 10%, hell, 1% of the money they made towards helping others we would be significantly better off as a global society.

There is a big difference between deciding to donate a percentage of ones money to their charity of choice and taking what you earned and distributing it evenly out among the masses. THAT is what people are talking about.

Like the first person said if everyone feels that higher ups should take the profits and distribute it to the employees to make it "fair" then those who make a bit more than someone else in their department should share their paycheck too so that everyone's earnings are the same.

Seriously how would you feel if you had to do that?
  • magerum
    Options

:huh:
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So this whole thing about people being paid more or refusing to work is a good thing. That means these places will have less workers to sling unhealthy junk foods! its a good thing!
    OH FOR SURE... Let's blame the "fast food slingers" for us being fat! Let's never take responsibility for our own choice to overeat and get fat. Sheezzz
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

That's triple my salary. Is all that money really necessary?
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    And to say they should pay more in taxes is ridiculous. The top 10% in the nation pay almost all the taxes of our land. Most Americans don't even or barely pay taxes.

But people ignore that fact because OMG! The Evil RICH!
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

And again who are you to say how much money a person needs or what is necessary?
  • magerum
    Options

I guess that depends on the standard of living you want to have and how you wish to provide for yourself and/or your family (if one's so inclined to have one). I think so, yes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Who's talking about a Mom & Pop joint? You really don't think it takes a lot of time and effort to create a business that is worth billions of dollars? Do you think these multi billion dollar companies were magically created?

ETA: Have you ever watched the show The Shark Tank where every day people who have a business or an ideago to investors with their ideas because they need money to grow and expand. They're every day people who have a dream of making billions of dollars. Is that wrong of them? Should they not seek additional funding because they want to expand?

A lot of these people have sunk their time and hard earned money into their idea and their business and have no funds left to expand. THAT is how a multi-billion dollar company is created.
    Any good business owner (regardless of mom and pop or even a car dealership, gym owner, etc) puts in loads of time. That goes with the territory. We aren't debating whether or not they work hard nor that they don't deserve to make a good living. But regardless of how tirelessly and long a good business owner works, they don't achieve success without help down the line. Whether it's from family/relatives working for/with them or hiring employees to cover shifts or complete work they don't have time to commit to, it's going to be some sort of organized team effort. We're not talking about making the employees millionaires, but I've seen many times that if a business owner takes good care of their employees, their profits rise possibly helping them to become a millionaire.
    The reverse is also true. Treat your employees like peons and I doubt business will last very long.

I will say that a lot of people I know who don't make a lot of money live way beyond their means (high credit debt), but in America that's how a lot of people roll.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition